Black Chicken Studios Forums

Question to players

isadorbg

Ok,here's how I see this. So either the governement or the kazus house send a letter or a person to inform the legate that the house took the PC as a student of Synchronicity, the legate then inform the Regents as he has to. The Regents are not your common teachers if the legate is the "CEO" of academagia then the Regents is the "director commitee". It is the responsibily of the Legate to inform them of important imformation regarding the schools.

Now the Regents/legate don't have to inform the mere "employee" if they don't judge it relevant. Now as to why they would do this well they are a few possible reason: one of them is maybe they don't want to ruin the school life of the PC. If teachers ans guards are informed then there is a good chance it will reach the ear of the student too and since Mastery still have a bad reputation and i don't think people will have the open mindness to consider Sync as not proper Mastery then the PC school life is pretty much ruined. It could also lead to unwanted curiosity wich is even worse!

Now the keep an eye part doesn't need everyone to know all the details. The regents just have to tell to other teachers and guards to keep a closer eye on the PC especially for "potential use of illegal magic" thats more then enough for the subordinate.

It might also be a positive thing maybe the regents can grant a special authorization for our student to read Mastery books (without telling everything to the librarian either) to possibly extend their knowledge of Sync and knowing that with the mark. The PC is not a danger for society.

I personally don't see how the PC's choice of magic studies matters to the Regent of a college the PC isn't a member of. Now von Rupprecht is a snake and would probably love to have that kind of information for "future consideration" and Briardi is Orsi's right hand, but the others? I can't imagine they'd care. I suppose they might be informed anyway due to their position in the school. but I still can't see why they'd care.

The Legate wants to keep it secret from the student body, so it's kept on a strictly need-to-know basis? Yes, that is definitely understandable, although I don't think it will be kept a secret for long if anyone other than Orsi himself, maybe the Regents are informed. Even if a guard is simply told to "keep an eye on this student" with no stated reason as to why that will catch the attention of the other students. "What has she done to deserve the guard's attention? I haven't heard anything.". I'm pretty sure someone will find out eventually.

And more than enough for Rikildis to get ideas, I'm sure. Truth be told it would make for an interesting adventure: Rikildis digs up some juicy information suggesting a fellow student is doing something that has the guards watching his every move, and she calls on the PC to help investigate - turns out that he's being watched for studying what most think is illegal magic, but it's not really "illegal" by the exact definition of the word.

That would indeed be a boon - I can accept Theory of Mastery being helpful in learning Sync. The Phemes, Methods and Spells not so much, but the Theory, yes.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't imagine they'd care. I suppose they might be informed anyway due to their position in the school. but I still can't see why they'd care.

This. I didn't said they would care only that the legate has to inform them.

I'm pretty sure someone will find out eventually.

Maybe or maybe not. It will depends on the PC discretion

That would indeed be a boon - I can accept Theory of Mastery being helpful in learning Sync. The Phemes, Methods and Spells not so much, but the Theory, yes.

Oh and I thought I convinced you :(:(:rolleyes:

This. I didn't said they would care only that the legate has to inform them.

Maybe or maybe not. It will depends on the PC discretion

Oh and I thought I convinced you :(:angry::(

Okay, though I have to say I'd like to see the reaction on the Regent's collective faces when they're informed of that.

:) "Hi there Legate Orsi, things going well?"

-_- "As well as can be expected. By the way, do you remember Miriam Godwinson, one of your students?"

:) "Miriam? Sure, she's a first year in my college, did some good things. A good student, holes in her attendance record aside."

-_- "Good. I wanted to inform you that I've received word from House Kazus that she's been accepted as one of their students, so she'll be studying their take on Mastery."

:) "House..."

:blink: "What?"

-_- "Thought you wanted to know."

Well, story-wise it will. Speaking up, I think the PC would need to come up with an explanation in case s/he ever casts Zone of Calm. Not the kind of Glamour even Hedi students tend to learn, although...that does give me an idea, since...yes, yes...oh, don't mind me, just doing some plotting is all.

I'm fairly certain I never so much as hinted at the fact that I might have been convinced. I'd have to dig through that topic again to be sure, though.

oh oh a Mastery fan! but trust me you don't want to see the dragon or else.. :P

Well the answers have been quite interesting.

- So far the most popular colleges are Morvidius and Vernin (wich are also my fav so viva la democratie :P )

- then follow the midly popular colleges: Aranaz, Avila and Hedi

- the unloved Godina with one mention ;)

Umm I feel like I forgot something :ph34r::ph34r:

College Durand? I imagine that they'll enjoy some popularity in Y2 because of a certain adventure ending.

That does beg a question, though. College rivalries exist, sure, but do college alliances exist? It would be interesting to have that show of loyalty to Durand open up an adventure to have the PC try and forge an alliance between Durand and his/her own college.

I think Aranaz is more popular then some might think. It used to have many loyal supporters around here, anyway. And like Mor and Vernin, it's the collage with a chance in the merit races- as much as I like Hedi's Innocence adventure, I almost always play one of those three colleges, so I have a chance of getting the loot.

(Not that I compete often- I'm too busy. But my minions compete for me, so it's something, right?)

I didn't like Durand until I did a roleplay as one of them, and now I really like them. They don't get much talk here on the forums, though... they might be as unloved as poor Godina.

For me, though, the reason I like Aranaz: ambition and drive, and interesting classes (calligraphy: just like Mastery, only legal!). The characters aren't bad, either (personally, I find boring the Morvidus kids, sad to say: how many varieties of 'I like the outdoors and animals!' can there be? There's like, five students where that's the base of their personalities!). Also, your Regent is the most scarily awesome who will probably doom you all one day, which is always a plus.

Plus, the one-sided rivalry versus Durand is hysterical. Go go Aymeri!

My favorite college is probably Aranaz, but I can only play a girl. The male Aranaz portraits are extremely ugly. Likewise, second favorite is Avila, but I can again only play a girl, because I hate the male Avila adventure more then anything in this game- your character comes off as vile and smarmy, and that's not the kind of characters I play. (If I'm powergaming, though, I go Mor, because of the attribute bonuses from the classes they take.)

My favorite pillar... meh, I don't know. I like Astrology, Mastery, and Glamour. Revision is good, too. Enchant and Incantation are the ones I rarely if ever take.

Much like Freespace I am a die-hard Aranaz supporter.

So first question; Why? - There are a few reason!

a) Much like Freespace History and Calligraphy are actually skills I value RL (Not saying my handwriting is anywhere decent but I'd like it to be)

B) They are elitist. While I don't like snobs and (as the name suggests) insufferable-know-it-alls, I do very much appriciate people who are good at their field and are willing to work hard at it. - Aranaz defenitly strikes me as the type who works hard at what they put themselves to.

c) To me they have that undefinable allure of not-quite-evil-but-something-along-the-lines. As in, yes, I know what ethics is I just choose not to be bound by it! We got rules that state what we can and cannot do, which should be enough. (Of cause the old rule still applies; if there are no witnesses then it didn't happen!)

d) Quite a bit of freedom for choosing your classes compared to some other colleges, as Freespace also mentioned.

Next up; Favorite Piller(s)? Meh it depends a bit on the characters, but if I (RL) was the character then it would be;

Enchant and Revision.

While I like (holy yeah I *love*) Cleanse and Remake, I am not really a god-fearing person so I while I like the spell I wouldn't pick Religion as my favorite. Enchant on the other hand has 6th finger which is my next go-to spell after Cleanse and Remake. Easy to cast and easy to build up. Last a long time and what is not to like about being able to enchant things?

Revision is a bit more RP, I like the idea of turning into stuff and I like turning stuff into other stuff.

My first MMORPG was Everquest(read: Evercrack) and I played an enchanter there as my main. I *loved* turning into different races, turning into things. Charming people, using a spell called Voice Graft to talk through a charmed minion. Standing in Freeport newbie area and saying (as a guard) to newbies that running is not permitted and that the docks is down by the sea.... mehehe... So it is a bit of a nostalgie kick. Of cause I also (a bit in the same lines, like glamour and mastery but my character is not likely to admit to either of those).

Edit; Oh hey, I didn't even notice the thread was on page 2 already :P

Oh oh Aranaz strikes back! :P But a competing college? seriously that never happens and the rare times i see Aranaz ahead, I reload as i don't like bugs :rolleyes::rolleyes: .

Well i certainly hope that for year 2, you can use all the portrait for all the colleges since apparently we will have new ones... have to admit i have the same problem with Vernin girls but hey love is blind, they say...

It's because Aveline gets so jealous of Morvidus being in the front she'll Defame it five freaking times and completely forget that, oh yeah, there's this "Durand" thing that kinda completely slipped her mind.

Another reason I'm personally not a fan of Aranaz, or most of the people in it. Ambitious perfectionists that will expend tremendous effort on a project, but only if it's to screw you. Otherwise they sit around twiddling their thumbs and wondering why they're getting nowhere fast. At least, that's the impression I get when playing a non-Aranaz character.

It's actually funny how a player's view of a college shifts when playing a character in a different college. I definitely didn't expect Aranaz to look saner when going from Morvidus to Durand, but it did since Aveline's shenanigans didn't seem as out-of-nowhere.

Maybe some of the Aranaz kids are spiteful, yes...

But I don't like wasting time on silly vendettas. If I have a threat large enough I will work to defuse it, but I prefer going about my own business. I expect that yes there will be some Aranaz turmoil on my 2nd year but... anybody who can't stand the heat better get away from the kitchen! Mwahahaha!

As far as merit goes Aranaz is great for it but it is not guaranteed that the students alone are enough. I usually spend a couple of days competing to establish a head start in the beginning, and only occasionally need to push to keep it.

Godina is not half as bad as College as everyone thinks simply because

a) for a one College only Clique you have Strength, Luck, a full +2 to Athletics available and +2 to most Spell Methodes

B) with Music you have a Study Mastery for Intelligence and some nice Adventures (you just have to get the Book in week 1)

c) Elemental Warriors and the Captain of the Redoubt as College only Adventures

d) Ometti (or how this folk is called again)

e) Two of the core class are only Pass or fail and so as soon you have 50% or more on the finals you passed.

If you want to bug exploit patch 68 you have already 2-3 class that can reasonably trained elsewhere for skipping the complete afternoon class trough the game

I also liked Elemental Warriors and the Captain of the Redoubt. Not enough to pick Godina for just that, but I lament not being able to do them in Aranaz all the same. They're probably my second favorite college adventures after Aranaz.

Godina will probably be my next chosen college after my Durand character hits the auto-save, although the three electives will be painful. Not that Athletics, Incantation or Music are completely worthless, but, eh, not fantastic either. That said:

B: What book?

Spoiler:

Does that matter? I thought DLC16 came packed with patch, eh what was it, 128 I think?

@at the Aranaz kids were spiteful..

The way I see it is if you have to screw someone over you might as well do it with enough flair and force that you won't be retaliated and the target will be sufficiently humiliated to not try to do whatever it was that pissed you off was again! Sure that takes some time and some planning and more than a passing knowledge of posions and knowledge of the positioning of the school restrooms, and SURE the teachers might not approve that SOMEONE stole the exam results, or that they were used as toiletpaper and that they had to actually apprehend the vile villan WHILE he was using them as such...,... but we all make sacrifices,.. just some more than others. And as long as you don't get caught and people stop bugging you to do their homework for them... what does it really matter?

And as long as you don't get caught and people stop bugging you to do their homework for them... what does it really matter?

The problem with bullying is that ripples easily become waves, and if only for role-playing purposes I'd like to avoid that. Admittedly I did plot and execute the grand scheme of "make Joana and Philippe hate Rikildis' guts", so I kinda know that by virtue of being guilty of it. It's been four in-game months since I did that and I still get notifications of Rikildis missing a day due to illness.

I still don't feel nearly enough remorse to do anything about it, too.

@Metis why do you think I have upload Patch 128 separate because DLC 16 was delivered with Patch 68 instead of Patch 128 ^^

So...installing DLC 16 downgraded me to patch 68 which hasn't fixed that bug yet?

...Excuse me, I'll just be breaking the game almost literally in half. Seriously, not feeling even slightly guilty. Also, what book?

Archived