Black Chicken Studios Forums

Small victories

Svinik

The legate supporting the player using Gates, while also helping keeping a secret would actually be incredibly good. Not very likely tho. :)

No lores to confirm that weakness. It is just a theory based on Mjolnir adventure, since the creatures he "fought" were supposedly summoned by him as a plot to make him look as a hero after defeating them, and a vampire was one of these creatures by what the adventure implied

Still, Gates is the art of summoning monsters, and a vampire could fit that role by some definition. I mean, weirder things have happened

Well it's tricky to summon a specific creature, not something you can do just because you know their name or even have met them a few times. The legate also once mentioned that almost all gate-summonings are drawn from some mysterious "other place" presumably an alternate dimension so if you summon a cake there usually won't be one missing from this world. No guarantees of course.

I also think it IS possible to summon a human, just difficult. I mean they can teleport right? Summoning is an involuntary teleportation... At least it should be possible to summon an item and all it touches, which could be a human. If it truly isn't possible I'd support the notion of divine intervention.

Huh... If you say so... . I mean being a slave to the Ancients whim, eternal damnation and of course the sun, blood and loss of humanity are rather big issues for me.

Of course immortality is nice (more like a few centuries/thousands years cause Gehenna) but yeah I'd say being a vampire in the wod is not the best thing that can happen to you. I vastly prefer the other supernatural creature even id they are "mortal" and they are bigger badasses even !

As for weakness as long as they are obliterated by the Sun and need to suck blood they have the bare minimum to be called vampire. The rest is just bonus. :D

As for the Gates discussion I have my own theory about Mjolnir.

He summoned the vampire with Gates and used a totally different and very exotic magic to controll it. I think it start with M... . ;)

Unfortunatly it works on human too. :(

The slave to the ancients thing is for the most part just whining, I mean sure it sucks but if you are not going to try to take over the world personally you can carve out a nice life for yourself without too much trouble. It's mostly a problem because they are hoarding all the power and using it to keep the world in a perpetual state of crapiness with little hope for improvement, but that doesn't mean you can't personally benefit.

You may end up dying eventually but many vampires survive for centuries, I wouldn't worry about the eternal damnation either. It's a pretty crappy world and if the setting's god operates with automatic damnation for something you had no control over you'd probably be damned for belonging to the wrong specific sect or some such anyway.

Considering how crappy that world is being mortal is usually worse than being a vampire (unless you have the wrong maker of course), and sure other creature types may be better but when considering the curse vs benefits I was comparing to normal human. Personally I wouldn't care about losing the sunlight and I'd get used to the blood need fast enough, you don't even need to kill anyone really. You are actually supposed not to.

I agree with your Mjolnir theory as well.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the suspicion that you only can summon a individual if you know the true name of it and otherwise all you can do is summon something that kind of fit into to the description you gave in the gate magic. Because different dimensions read this description different and the humans don't know so fare how to form the description fool prove that's where the randomness of gate magic comes from.

Just think about how how would you tell someone who don't know what a dog is how he can find one without showing him any form of picture ;).

Edit: if it is like this a master of Dialectic could actual reform the gate spells to be more fool prove. But if you question everything as a master of dialectic would do it I suspect you for sure would be seen as insane by everyone else especial if you combine this with the knowledge of different dimensions. Not to mention if a human mind actual can handle such a way of thinking for long without going insane.

I have the suspicion that you only can summon a individual if you know the true name of it and otherwise all you can do is summon something that kind of fit into to the description you gave in the gate magic. Because different dimensions read this description different and the humans don't know so fare how to form the description fool prove that's where the randomness of gate magic comes from.

Just think about how how would you tell someone who don't know what a dog is how he can find one without showing him any form of picture ;).

Edit: if it is like this a master of Dialectic could actual reform the gate spells to be more fool prove. But if you question everything as a master of dialectic would do it I suspect you for sure would be seen as insane by everyone else especial if you combine this with the knowledge of different dimensions. Not to mention if a human mind actual can handle such a way of thinking for long without going insane.

Maybe a personal item, lock of hair, blood, or something... A ripped of piece of that targets clothing could help focus the gates spell on the right target.

Focusing items and artefacts are said to help gates magic stabilise. I guess it creates a universal translation matrix, across all dimentions and realities. It would probably be a lot easier to get it right if you got something like that.

So, if you rip your robe and you're afraid of getting summoned by an "evil" wizard who might have gotten a few threads of it, get rid of the Robe maybe? And pray it helps!

Time to shave off all your hair and then "burn" it!

Maybe craft a ring that distorts the Laylines around you... For protection, creating an additional layer of "encryption" for the enemy to bypass.

Legate: Ok kid, what are you up to... That ring of yours is disrupting my Astrology research, care to explain yourself?

I detect a slight issue with that item theory - say you use an item as a focus, and it turns out the owner of that item if fifteen kinds of long dead. Will you summon a ghost? A corpse? Nothing?

So a bloodstain, or lock of hair from a person causing trouble would be fifteen kinds of long dead?

In the case of inanimate old objects I guess it's possible, I don't know for certain. How likely is it that the robe or clothing of a troublemaker originaly belonged to one or several long dead people?

One alternative would be to use Enchant which is used in one event where you determined that a note belonged to Malthesar or whatever that students name was... I was terrible at remembering peoples names in school tbh.

Or maybe Astrology. Though Astrology is probably out of the question if the Legate couldn't use it to pinpoint the culpit.(probably obscured somehow) Enchantment might still work to establish an identity. If you want to be on the safe side before trying to gate something in.

In the case where you got more than one item it might be a good idea to investigate their relevance before you use them for a potentially dangerous and illegal spell. You wouldn't want to summon the Captain of mineta by accident using illegal magic. I don't think he would be very understanding.

In the case of inanimate old objects I guess it's possible, I don't know for certain. How likely is it that the robe or clothing of a troublemaker originaly belonged to one or several long dead people?

How many items do you collect in Y1 that once belonged to someone else? I don't think the Sword of Kush thinks "I've been in the hand of that Kush dude for however long, 'least I think I was, but now this thirteen year old has picked me up from the ground and placed me in a shoddily constructed sheave(?) for about two minutes. Guess that's my owner now". It's also entirely possible that using cloth as a focus will summon a cotton plant. "Owner" isn't a very distinct title without arbitrary definitions thereof.

At least I wouldn't have to be worried about the cotton plant, but the Legate wouldn't be very impressed if he's watching... There are far worse things you could summon.

Really, Gates is there for serious emergencies. When it can't get much worse, and worse wouldn't really matter. Like when you are in a collapsing cave and there is no other way out into safety. Then you're either dead or you attempt it.

Anyway, once someone dies and an item is left behind, then the next "owner" would be it's owner. You didn't mention the possibility that the Robe or item could have been stole during the crime spree or whatever this troublemaker was up to.

But if you use that enchantment skill to identify "owership" they you will know if you got it right or not, the next spell is most certainly going to use that same distinction. Because it's been established. Accidents can still happen, but you will likely get what you wanted.

It's like Quantum physics, once a probability wave has been observed and a value derived it's locked down, until that point it could be anything of a long range of probabilities. Before that point it could have been anything from a long dead guy, a cotton plant or whatever. But once Quantised, you will know what you got.

Either it's good and you use it or it isn't good and you discard it.

Use that Enchantment skill on the "Sword of Kush", determine it's unknown value, and you will know what you didn't know before that point. Either it's good or it isn't. If the Enchantment skill isn't giving you the "Vampire" identity that the Legate wanted, then tell him it's no good, he might not like it though. But it's better than a terrible accident. When you know it's no good.

• 2 weeks later...

I confess he was a little abnormal, my next 2 play-thru's:

2mheb5u.png

and

eb368k.png

And there he wonder why I think his chars are strong because my attributes are fare less then his. In average I think I'm at last 5 below in each of the attributes and for strength even 10.

But my focus is more on the skills and with that in mind a attribute of 10 is enough as you can raise your SS to 20 without increase in the training multiplicator.

Unless I mess up things my Char mentioned a bit back will now end with a Revision Exam of 260% and 270 would be easy possible if I would have found the time to raise 2 more Revision SS to 11 max.

Why should my char be weary of Basia? In the Revision exam she is only 3. best, in the Caligraphy exam only 7. best, in the Geometry exam only 5. best and Negation she even only managed a Lower Second Class Honors with her 98 points. Unless her scores get increased trough the import tool one can't even see her as competitor for the best Student of year 1!

Actually, I feel as though I should be offended, although I can't see how as my goals are totally 100% legitimately obtainable.

Whether I have to just ignore all classes outright in order to do so is another issue.

And there he wonder why I think his chars are strong because my attributes are fare less then his. In average I think I'm at last 5 below in each of the attributes and for strength even 10.

But my focus is more on the skills and with that in mind a attribute of 10 is enough as you can raise your SS to 20 without increase in the training multiplicator.

Unless I mess up things my Char mentioned a bit back will now end with a Revision Exam of 260% and 270 would be easy possible if I would have found the time to raise 2 more Revision SS to 11 max.

It's the DLC 16 bug - before that the characters I did would average 10-11 tops, the DLC 16 bug super-charges students though as longshade, the sphinx and adventures are so much more efficient at training and boosting stats then standard lessons.

Archived