Black Chicken Studios Forums

5 Years Later... Still No Year 2?

The13thRonin

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Isn't Greenlight more for getting Steam support for the development?

Least it sounds like the holdup is on Steams side atm then. Hopefully things will start moving along then with both the steam release, DLC 17 and Year 2 :)

Eagerly awaiting new content and a new year :) Travel and visiting family and such also sounds like an interesting opportunity to see more of the world outside the Academagia.

I'm reminded of Irontower Studio. I waited almost 13 years for Age of Decadence to be released. The game was continuously being postponed because the developers were amateur, perfectionist people who kept retooling the game until their development cycle was in danger of reaching 15+ years of development time. These guys became something of a joke in the RPG community. They've endured 8-9 years of nonstop criticism. But for the most part the support remained strong because there was actually signs of the game being worked on. The game was eventually released and sold well enough for the developers to continue patching and improving the game. They're now working on small dungeon crawl project.

Waiting for AoD tested my patience. Just like Year 2 is testing it now. But I was able to wait for almost 15 years for AoD. I can wait 2-3 more years.

My only gripe with BCS is that it takes them a very, very long time to release patches. DLC 16 took awhile to get released and it broke the game because no one was paying attention while packaging it for release. The Team shrugged their shoulders and said wait till DLC 17 for a fix. It's been 2 years now since then.

I'm worried how the Steam community is going to take being told to wait 2-3 years for a patch. That's... Not going to endear you guys to the Steam community. We're all rather patient here in the BCS forums. The Steam community, on the other hand, has zero tolerance for this kind of situations.

If DLC 17 does release with some issues... I'm hoping you guys are quick to patch the game... Otherwise... You're all just wasting your opportunity being on Steam.

LOL the Steam community will almost certainly expect another Academagia year anualy :P Like the Assasins Creed franchise that's got several studios continualy releasing new products. Unfortunately their releases are starting to get repetitive and watered down. I think I enjoyed the Ezio Auditore games. Somehow he made that character charming and somewhat interesting. The others were harder to bond to. The Black sail one was fairly ok aswell, the added ship combat was fairly interesting and fun even if it could get a little repetitive, but it represented something new in the franchise, a new game mechanic to play around with.. I think I played through a fairly substantial part of the original Assasins Creed but then I simply lost the will to go on, then when I bought brother hood I watched a Youtube ending for the original to see if there was anything I lost that might actually be interesting for the next game.

My only gripe with BCS is that it takes them a very, very long time to release patches. DLC 16 took awhile to get released and it broke the game because no one was paying attention while packaging it for release. The Team shrugged their shoulders and said wait till DLC 17 for a fix. It's been 2 years now since then.

I'm worried how the Steam community is going to take being told to wait 2-3 years for a patch. That's... Not going to endear you guys to the Steam community. We're all rather patient here in the BCS forums. The Steam community, on the other hand, has zero tolerance for this kind of situations.

If DLC 17 does release with some issues... I'm hoping you guys are quick to patch the game... Otherwise... You're all just wasting your opportunity being on Steam.

Agreed, though I have to say it's a fairly ironic point considering that I'm fully planning to test if DLC 17 will work with the outdated patch, even if it ships with a current one, and play with said outdated patch assuming that it (or the shenanigans that it allows for) does not break Y1->Y2 character import.

To be honest, I broke the package, but the folks on the forum seemed to like the open class slots well enough I asked if we could keep it until 17. So, you can put that blame right on my shoulders. :)

The Steam crowd may or may not be more demanding, but we'll certainly keep plugging away regardless.

Age of Decadence, by the way, is an amazing game!

The Steam release and 17 will go hand in hand- *hopefully* we'll receive the AppID and this concern will be moot.

@albert;

That's what we understood, too- and, yet...

I, for one, will be trying to keep it in 17. Yes, it breaks the game's perceived balance over my cold, cruel knees and leaves me vulnerable to a few crashes (among other bugs I've never noticed) and possible import problems, but I'd rather have most of that than two months of sitting in classes that do literally nothing. And another eight months where classes are, in ideal circumstances, only 20% better than Train.

Considering that most bugfixes are of the typo variety, and considering that fixing those would require an updated content.mdm, it might actually be a fair question to ask whether frequent small updates or occasional large updates would be preferred. IIRC wouldn't you need to start a new game every time an updated content.mdm is released? I don't think you can just update files with the same name and clear the cache, even if it's the same DLC number, and if so an update schedule that fixes like 4-5 typos every other day might not be so appreciated.

Well, DLC 17 is still going to take another month or two at the very least, so AppID has some time if nothing else. Though if that does drag on for long I'm sure the community could come up with some more work for the Team to mess with :rolleyes:.

So, The main thing left holding DLC17 back is Steam jerkiness?

I thought that once you had a game on steam, you were more or less a member of the club, and didn't have to jump through so many hoops!

Whats this talk about a dissapearing time slot? Is it really dissapearing or is it jsut about the Professors trying to catch you as you sneak off to do more productive things than listening to their generic lectures that likely won't teach you anything new?

AKA the second attend class timeslot bug?

I think you guys may have waited too long to submit the game to Steam. I found out from the Choice of Games forum that Steam places some really tight and strict restrictions on small indie developers. For example... You're chances for remaining on Steam depends on your sales number.

Archived