Black Chicken Studios Forums

An Outing

thezooqueen

For me the complet An outing adventure is something I only do when I want a very special kind of Character that also should learn the complet Synchronicity set. For my normal chars the price of having to take the mark is simply fare to high.

Also saying no to the Mark is no real option in my opinion either I start the adventure and go trough it or I not start it.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah. Suffice to say that it's a last resort option regardless of social standing. And the Captain standing between the Chards and total domination of Mineta? Where's that referenced?

It came up in one of the many Quests I did last week, can't recall which one.

At least that was the characters interpretation of the situation.

Fores Yvoilete or whatever her name is, apparently belongs to a family on the other side of the fence according to Another random event.

I'm guessing that anoying Bylly like man that Cisits the captain that your character distinctly dislikes, who's treating the captain like dirt, that's probably Catherine Chards father or some relative. Least that's my best guess so far given the political situation explained in events and Adventures.

Several of my characters befriended Chard for no special reason, but after that tidbit and several others I'm wondering if that "friendship" might cause trouble if you get involved, also, if my characters family is influential... Where do they stand in all that? Will they throw a fit if you bring a Chard home?

I know it wasn't a Chard adventure, it involved Another student I think but somehow the Chards were involved or tangented the event, or for soem reason were brought up...

I don't think I've had that quest before.

Also, for some reason Uppermen Aranaz kids wanted to recruit my Vernin character for their secret society, I'm not sure if it's the high amount of Glory or how I did those Adventures and events where I bully Merchant, have him eat grass, then later hangs him head first from a Tower for a full night until someone eventualy rescues him... Maybe they liked the Cruelty, I have no idea how that event triggered, it was a first, but apparently it's the type of stuff they like.

Curse my poor memory, but I ran across some really weird stuff in my last play through.

I kind of wish there was some kind of adventure Quest log/journal, to keep track of the mroe special Adventures and events, like secret communities you join.

That is most likely true, but those that practice Sync tend to be under the thumb of people who do have power in some way, shape or form, and if someone in power says it works...and yes, Negation-based residue tests I assume are the standard method of determining guilt in that fashion, simply because it's a more practical method. Sync is more of an opportunity for defence, like if a suspect says "I didn't cast any Mastery spells at all, the Mastery residue on me is from that other spellcaster who tried to Master me!" the guards could call for Sync to determine if it's the truth. Of course Negation could do the same, compelling truth and all, but it's an option. In legal practice I suspect that Sync is mostly used to get information from suspected victims of Mastery, see if people's memories were tampered with and so on. Memory manipulation through Mastery is as effective as it is crude, relatively, and Sync can detect such things (and possibly restore the damage done...to an extent).

From a legal standpoint you would indeed be cleared, but I'm pretty sure that people will remember you refused the Embrace and you will indeed be judged as such.

Healing Mastery with Sync interesting... why not afterall Mastery is supposedly a potent pillar for healing mental illness and is Sync is Mastery afterall but I guess that for it to be effectice the Sync user better be knowledgeable on Mastery itself and not only the theory ;):P .

For Negation I think what makes it attractive past the fact that it is actually a legal pillar better than Sync in the ethics standing of the Elumnian's society is that it is probably the best pillar all-around for rogue mage/exotic magic hunting be it Tracking, Hunting or Interrogating, and of course Negating curses and other permanent spell on one person or object and finding who actually did it of course.

Not sure how much, if any, knowledge of Mastery you'd need to undo Mastery-caused mental damage with Sync. I assume it's the same as trying to Negate, say, a Glamour. You don't have to have studied Glamour yourself to do so, but it'd help at least somewhat.

In addition to all that, I assume it's also a great deal simpler to compel truth from someone than it is to perform and Embrace.

Not sure how much, if any, knowledge of Mastery you'd need to undo Mastery-caused mental damage with Sync. I assume it's the same as trying to Negate, say, a Glamour. You don't have to have studied Glamour yourself to do so, but it'd help at least somewhat.

In addition to all that, I assume it's also a great deal simpler to compel truth from someone than it is to perform and Embrace.

Well Synchronicity and Mastery both belong to the Mastery Pillar as far as I understand it. Synchronicity is just focused in a different direction, but it will leave Mastery residue when used.

Just like Enchant isn't actually a Pillar but a skillset for applying other Pillars in a permanent fashion.

Also I think Negation is a lot better for applying it blindly, if you want to heal with Synchronicity you need to know exactly what you are doing. That's probably also what makes it potent as it's a more direct way to attack the problem.

So logically you'd definitely need knowledge (instinctual understanding might suffice, but it's hardly optimal) of the Mastery Pillar to heal Mastery-caused mental damage with Sync, but it may be that the needed parts are already included. Then again, the Sync skill doesn't actually have a Theory skill does it?

True, true and true. Which is why I'm curious what will happen to a PC that studies Mastery, completes The Job Posting, and then completes An Outing... by getting the Mark. If The Job Posting is the kind of adventure that some think it is that'd result in some fun event flags being set in Y2.

I personally imagine that the needed parts are already included, at least mostly, but it's possible you'd have to study up on it separately. Theory of Mastery especially, since Sync indeed lacks a real Theory Of skill of it's own - it's pretty much based on Theory of Mastery.

I really hope the "Masters mark" won't get in the way in later years(spell and pheme enchantments), or it will get the boot! ;) Maybe the masters mark should have been a glamoured invissible patch for your robe instead.... Or at least as an alternative.. maybe... Though those patches might be at a premium aswell. Maybe on the inside.

I never liked the idea of a tatoo to begin with.

What I really want for later years is to affect the legislation and make all magic "legal" to know, but illegal by intent or cause.

For example, using Mastery to apprehending a very dangerous criminal without killing him, shouldn't be a crime, who cares if it was a criminal that needed to be stopped. Instad of turning his Brains to a mush you could have just incinerated him.

Gates, is probably more problematic due to the random factor and the risk you're putting others through. But there shouldn't be law against purely academic studdy, they would have to prove that you're putting people at risk.

I also would think Mastery is very much hated because it used to be a tool for dragons to have some fun and games.

I know these arn't modern times, but to me it seems that a crime has to be comitted, rather than having an inquisition scanning peoples mindset for infractions of faith and conformity of thought.

I can understand if lawenforcement would suspect people who has the knowledge to cause an accident when it happens, but there should be some kind of proof requisite.

I don't think purely academic study works past a certain points, you'd need to cast some spells to progress and be sure you are doing things correctly. It could however be made illegal to use the magic unsupervised, so it could be fairly ceremonial like how Schohanwicht is right now.

I think Gates should be conditionally legalized, where you'd need to be approved both for studying and practicing it and accept a fair bit of supervision while creating the school itself in one of the lowly populated islands. While the Academagia could be an excellent learning ground for Gates users like in the past, it also has a tendency for dangerous things to happen constantly. Probably the worst place for something inherently dangerous, unless people are willing to tolerate not just a risk but in the long run a certainty of occasional casualties. At least it's also the location with the most people capable of dealing with the problems it creates.

As for Mastery it's probably not really a good idea to legalize it without restrictions, but if every practitioner is registered it should be easier to limit the abuse and it's not like the ban has actually eliminated the use of Mastery so it's essentially just society denying themselves useful resources for no real reason. I'm sure they'll regret it when the dragons invade...

About An Outing I just tried it with my newest character and questioned her on the skill but declined training, it gave 11 skill gains (one of them Mastery Theory.. :D ) in one action so it's actually pretty economical. Here's the thing I already accidentally gained 1 Mastery Phemes skil and my "accept" option mentioned I had learned "a few Mastery tricks" so does that mean Leene would consider me a Mastery user or would that be too little to notice? If you are very high Mastery can you still say no?

I really hope the "Masters mark" won't get in the way in later years(spell and pheme enchantments), or it will get the boot! ;) Maybe the masters mark should have been a glamoured invissible patch for your robe instead.... Or at least as an alternative.. maybe... Though those patches might be at a premium aswell. Maybe on the inside.

I never liked the idea of a tatoo to begin with.

...Do I even have to explain how this would not be practical in the least?

What I really want for later years is to affect the legislation and make all magic "legal" to know, but illegal by intent or cause.

For example, using Mastery to apprehending a very dangerous criminal without killing him, shouldn't be a crime, who cares if it was a criminal that needed to be stopped. Instad of turning his Brains to a mush you could have just incinerated him.

Gates, is probably more problematic due to the random factor and the risk you're putting others through. But there shouldn't be law against purely academic studdy, they would have to prove that you're putting people at risk.

I also would think Mastery is very much hated because it used to be a tool for dragons to have some fun and games.

I know these arn't modern times, but to me it seems that a crime has to be comitted, rather than having an inquisition scanning peoples mindset for infractions of faith and conformity of thought.

I can understand if lawenforcement would suspect people who has the knowledge to cause an accident when it happens, but there should be some kind of proof requisite.

The issue is that in that instance there'll always be cases where something evidently goes wrong with that magic, but somehow the only person around who could have done it apparently couldn't have done it. So instead they work with a blanket ban that assumes that anyone studying the material intends (or will eventually fall victim to the urge) to use it. It's definitely a crude and knee-jerk method, but as far as the guards are concerned, it works.

And I don't recall Dragons having a fondness for Mastery, actually...but that could be me misremembering.

I don't think purely academic study works past a certain points, you'd need to cast some spells to progress and be sure you are doing things correctly. It could however be made illegal to use the magic unsupervised, so it could be fairly ceremonial like how Schohanwicht is right now.

I think Gates should be conditionally legalized, where you'd need to be approved both for studying and practicing it and accept a fair bit of supervision while creating the school itself in one of the lowly populated islands. While the Academagia could be an excellent learning ground for Gates users like in the past, it also has a tendency for dangerous things to happen constantly. Probably the worst place for something inherently dangerous, unless people are willing to tolerate not just a risk but in the long run a certainty of occasional casualties. At least it's also the location with the most people capable of dealing with the problems it creates.

As for Mastery it's probably not really a good idea to legalize it without restrictions, but if every practitioner is registered it should be easier to limit the abuse and it's not like the ban has actually eliminated the use of Mastery so it's essentially just society denying themselves useful resources for no real reason. I'm sure they'll regret it when the dragons invade...

About An Outing I just tried it with my newest character and questioned her on the skill but declined training, it gave 11 skill gains (one of them Mastery Theory.. :D ) in one action so it's actually pretty economical. Here's the thing I already accidentally gained 1 Mastery Phemes skil and my "accept" option mentioned I had learned "a few Mastery tricks" so does that mean Leene would consider me a Mastery user or would that be too little to notice? If you are very high Mastery can you still say no?

My opinion on Gates is that it should remain as illegal as it is at least until the randomness factor is completely removed...although of course to get to that point some careful and supervised studying will be necessary.

As for Mastery, eh, there's far fewer instances of Mastery abuse than there would be if it were any measure of legal, so the ban at least accomplished something, although at the same time those few instances that do exist are very likely done against someone with no knowledge of how to defend him/herself, making Mastery easy to use and relatively easy to get away with regardless of it's legal status. So introduce some very, very specific "defence again Mastery" classes in the Academagia where students are shown what Mastery does to them, how it looks like and how to defend themselves against it, so that Mastery becomes something resembling an actual threat to use. And if any students go to that class with intent of studying Mastery? Well, aura readings will no doubt be a part of that class, so how about we start with that?

I was aware of that "a few Mastery tricks" option, but I could never figure out exactly how to trigger it. As far as I know, though, picking that option does mean Leene considers you as having studied Mastery (if strictly out of curiosity), unless the team specifically added a "casual contact" branch but I don't think they did. Pretty sure I'd have remembered if they did.

No I mean if the "a few Mastery tricks" option was visible but that I chose to say no thanks to training. Leene certainly made no mention of having discovered anything so I'd assume she surely didn't notice?

Does her dialogue change if you have trained heavily into Mastery?

Oh, yes, in that case Leene never noticed. In fact the game treats it as if you didn't have Mastery at all and there was nothing to notice...as far as I know. Adventure as written you actually would have gotten that option regardless of your Mastery skill levels, so that students who learned it unwillingly (Longshade/Sphinx <_<) wouldn't be treated as if they did, but the Team changed it.

As I recall...I think there is different dialogue between the "picked up a few tricks" and "heavily studied Mastery" option, but they both boil down to the same thing, pretty much. It certainly doesn't change the rest of the adventure...I think. Really need the mod tools so I can see the actual code, but that's not until DLC 17 (presumably).

EDIT: Just went into An Outing... with nothing but Mastery Phemes 1 and I didn't get the "already know a few tricks" option. Hm...

EDIT 2: Mastery Phemes 1 and Theory of Mastery 0 doesn't work, Sync 9 doesn't work, Mastery 1 doesn't work...I'm at a loss as to how to get the "know a few tricks" option.

I assume so, especially because you can avoid having the Mastery tricks option show up in the first place if you tell Professor Vickery that you're not interesting in learning. Of course if you have enough Mastery ranks that you can't tell that to Professor Vickery Leene will have noticed either which way (all one of them).

Shouldn't those auras be manipulable, through negation maybe... Negation can usualy negate most things, perhaps you could negate undesired magical residue...

Or create an enchanted device that absorbs a certain type of residue....

Certainly true, but there's other ways to tell if a student should be carefully watched. And honestly I'd rather watch organized groups of students for potential pitfalls rather than the entirety of Mineta for the secret Mastery mage of the day.

Well the Legate previously said that it was possible to disguise the residue but that it would depend on the difference between your skill at that and how skilled the tester was. I think the impression was that hiding it was harder than testing it so you'd have to be a fair bit better.

Negation can in theory negate pretty much anything and yet some things are just too demanding for mere mortals. An especially intricate spell designed to avoid getting negating might be very difficult to negate or even detect, though of course still possible.

Archived