Black Chicken Studios Forums

Can't save the game anymore.

MegaDissu

So, I've found a few bugs while playing the steam version of this game, and most have been minor so far. Except this most recent one I've found prevents me from saving the game!

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.
While running game code:
File "renpy/common/00action_file.rpy", line 261, in __call__
renpy.save(fn, extra_info=save_name)
PicklingError: Can't pickle <type 'function'>: attribute lookup __builtin__.function failed
-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------
Full traceback:
File "renpy/common/_layout/screen_load_save.rpym", line 35, in script
$ ui.interact()
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Scheherazade\renpy\ast.py", line 785, in execute
renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Scheherazade\renpy\python.py", line 1382, in py_exec_bytecode
exec bytecode in globals, locals
File "renpy/common/_layout/screen_load_save.rpym", line 35, in <module>
$ ui.interact()
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Scheherazade\renpy\ui.py", line 247, in interact
rv = renpy.game.interface.interact(roll_forward=roll_forward, **kwargs)
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Scheherazade\renpy\display\core.py", line 2149, in interact
repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, **kwargs)
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Scheherazade\renpy\display\core.py", line 2750, in interact_core
rv = root_widget.event(ev, x, y, 0)
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Scheherazade\renpy\display\layout.py", line 846, in event
rv = i.event(ev, x - xo, y - yo, cst)
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Scheherazade\renpy\display\layout.py", line 846, in event
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Scheherazade\renpy\display\screen.py", line 626, in event
rv = self.child.event(ev, x, y, st)
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Scheherazade\renpy\display\layout.py", line 183, in event
rv = d.event(ev, x - xo, y - yo, st)
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Scheherazade\renpy\display\layout.py", line 183, in event
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Scheherazade\renpy\display\behavior.py", line 762, in event
return handle_click(self.clicked)
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Scheherazade\renpy\display\behavior.py", line 705, in handle_click
rv = run(action)
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Scheherazade\renpy\display\behavior.py", line 274, in run
return var(*args, **kwargs)
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Scheherazade\renpy\loadsave.py", line 275, in save
dump((roots, renpy.game.log), logf)
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Scheherazade\renpy\loadsave.py", line 43, in dump
cPickle.dump(o, f, cPickle.HIGHEST_PROTOCOL)
PicklingError: Can't pickle <type 'function'>: attribute lookup __builtin__.function failed
Windows-post2008Server-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 6.18.3.761

MegaDissu;

We've had one other report of this, but at the moment, were not able to pinpoint the exact cause. However, in the other case, the player was able to continue once they finished the particular segment of the caper and was able to save after that point.

Did this happen during one of the Ahmose story in New Orleans? If not, can you please email academagia@gmail.com your save file and we might have more questions for you? Maybe the new info can help our developer solve the mystery. Thanks again.

Edit: Also, if you happen to be using a cheat file, this *might* be a potential cause, as we do not officially support the cheat file.

It did indeed happen in an Amhose run! And I HAVE downloaded the cheat code, but have yet to run it in the game. Maybe that's what caused it? Either way, I'm vry happy to know the bug only lasts for that one event! I'll let you know if I have any further problems.

Great...looks like we have been able to isolate and resolve it :) thanks to your report and the first one. It does not seem to be related to the cheat file.

We'll have the patch out on Steam this week, but yes, if you finish that particular section and save after that it should resolve itself as well, in the meantime.

So um, I'm encountering the same problem on my Sterling run in Peru... the code that it spits out seems to be the same as far as I can tell.I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
Full traceback:
$ ui.interact()
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Scheherazade\renpy\ast.py", line 785, in execute
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Scheherazade\renpy\python.py", line 1382, in py_exec_bytecode
$ ui.interact()
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Scheherazade\renpy\ui.py", line 247, in interact
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Scheherazade\renpy\display\core.py", line 2149, in interact
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Scheherazade\renpy\display\core.py", line 2750, in interact_core
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Scheherazade\renpy\display\screen.py", line 626, in event
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Scheherazade\renpy\display\behavior.py", line 762, in event
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Scheherazade\renpy\display\behavior.py", line 705, in handle_click
rv = run(action)
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Scheherazade\renpy\display\behavior.py", line 274, in run
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Scheherazade\renpy\loadsave.py", line 275, in save
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Scheherazade\renpy\loadsave.py", line 43, in dump
Ren'Py 6.18.3.761

It looks like the same type of issue. Not sure why the updated version of Ren'py is triggering it (we think something changed in the interpretation and that is the cause), but we know the fix. And the save file will help us test the fix :) Thanks so much!

You saves should be in one of the following locations:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Scheherazade\game\saves

C:\Users\<YourName>\AppData\Roaming\RenPy\Scheherazade

If not those, then try a windows search for ".save" files which should show you the directory.

Copy and email us the .save file just before the Sterling run in Peru, and hopefully we'll be able to replicate it. Thanks!

And once more into the brink! This time it happened on my Roland run, in the New Orleans caper involving going to find Felix and meeting Baron Samdi at the crossroads.

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.
While running game code:
Full traceback:
$ ui.interact()
$ ui.interact()
rv = run(action)
Ren'Py 6.18.3.761

Archived