Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Metis

Random Student Events Extravaganza (Y1 - Help wanted!)

47 posts in this topic

Ever wonder why students like Durand de Thiomines only get one random event about them that can only trigger after you finish a College Durand exclusive adventure, whereas people like Philippe Marchant have up to a half-dozen events to their name? It's partially because I retain some sense of self-preservation and thus did not obsessively check every non-student event that might as well count as a student event, of which I can name at least one (Durand blowing a hole in a practice room wall, anyone?), but let's quietly forget about that and pretend I actually have done my homework in this instance.

 

Oh hey, a distraction! Look here, everyone!

 

Yeah. That above is a .zip of the mod file (unpublished, so no, it's not playable unless you publish it yourself - I don't have 6-8 hours to spare any more than you do, particularly at ~1:50 AM. Sorry :() of what I have so far, but it's not nearly enough. And getting enough alone would be a. Ton. Of. Work. That's where you come in! Think of some events, post them here, and to the extent that I'm able (I make no promises of or on anything, to be clear) I'll do the spellchecking, editing and coding myself. Mind, don't expect miracles and certainly don't expect perfection. Or competence, necessarily. Really, expect the team to do some editing at the end of the day. That's what you can safely expect. Do that.

 

Anyway, one last thing - and half the reason I decided to post this in the first place - you might notice a distinct lack of text walls hidden behind spoiler tags. Well, a bit of contact with a computer wizard later and I've got a virtual Windows XP instance...thingy...I'onno. Point is, I've bypassed the textbox bug in the mod tools, so all that lovely text? It's in the mod file, edited and located in it's proper place (in theory - remember, no promises). I guess that makes reading it a pain, so I might format it again and post it here when the clock is not approaching 2:00 AM, but again, no promises. For now come up with some funny stuff for the students we don't hear enough of and shoot.

 

I'll also accept general funny random events, BTW. World's your oyster, so...so...what are you supposed to do with oysters? Eat them? I don't know. Maybe I'll figure it out. Just have fun.

 

EVENTS SO FAR:

 

Random Event Avila 3

-Exit 3: Astrology -> Numerology

 

Random Event Outing Outed

-prerequisite of Rivalry between Self/Self -> Cleared full An Outing... adventure flag

 

Random Event Student - Alan 5

 

Random Event Student - Amada 2

Random Event Student - Amada 3

 

Random Event Student - Asmita 2

 

Random Event Student - Basia 2

 

Random Event Student - Cosetta 2

 

Random Event Student - Durand de Thiomines 2

 

Random Event Student - Emilia Strolin 2

Random Event Student - Emilia Strolin 3

 

Random Event Student - Flore Yveuillet 3

-Exit 4: Cooking -> Worldliness

 

Random Event Student - Jere Niemela 2

 

Random Event Student - Prudence Cossins 3

-Exit 3: Manipulation -> Minetan Swagger

-Exit 4: Biology -> Field Medicine

 

Random Event Student - Rixenda la Serena 3

 

Random Event Student - Silke Niederstatter 2

 

Random Event Student - Sima Venesico 2

-Exit 4 (both of them): Need On The Prowl background requirement.

 

Random Event Student - Vuillaume Eparvier 2

 

Edited by Metis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought that metaphor was about how oysters make pearls? And the world is an oyster and.. it gives you pearls or.. something? I dunno.

 

Anyway! I'm downloading the file now. Durand is one of my favorite students, I always befriend him on my Godina character. I likes to wait till AFTER the dance of fools event, but sometimes he gets into a clique sooner than that and I have to act first. So then I have to pretend that they didn't become friends till later.

 

I had a few ideas for some random events involving the less used students like Irene.

 

It would probably help if I played more than 3 colleges, I'm only really aware of Godina, Hedi, and Avila students (And of course the bullies and Durand.) I'll see if I can finish at least one of my ideas. I'm a slow writer, and want to finish my one Avila quest.

 

edit: Which ones did you add? I haven't read through most of the original events and aren't 100% which ones would be yours?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

*Shrugs* Just because I live in a world that still has oceans doesn't mean that I can tell them apart more than half the time Fish is a significantly more useful skill. Tastier, but not useful.

 

Excellent, and don't worry about having played all the colleges. Some students could (and should) reach you regardless of college, they just need a little event or two to do so.

 

So far I've added...Random Event Student - Alan 5, Random Event Student - Amada 2, Random Event Student - Amada 3, Random Event Student - Basia 2, Random Event Student - Cosetta 2 and Random Event Student - Rixenda la Serena 3. Transcriptions are incoming, just give me like half an hour. Cosetta's event is a monster to the point where I'm sure the team will be very pleased to see I went through the lengths that I did. Anyway...edit incoming...

 

EDIT: Holy typos. Going to fix those as I go.

 

Random Event Student - Alan 5. Requires not having a Rivalry with Alan and/or Zoe Melis:

 

Walking through the fields of the Academagia you notice Zoe Melis and Alan Driscoll staring up at a wall. Curious as to what's so interesting about it you decide to walk up to them and ask what's going on. Zoe doesn't even turn around to acknowledge you, but Alan nervously explains what happened.

 

"I asked Zoe to help me prepare for the upcoming Incantation test, but I cast the wrong spell and Zoe's wand got blown away. It landed on the roof, and we're not sure how to get it back down."

 

"An Incantation, maybe? You can conjure a gust of wind, can't you?" Alan looks away, a bit embarrassed.

 

"Wind isn't going to help," Zoe suddenly says. "We can't see the wand from here and we don't know where it landed, so we'll need to get up onto the roof somehow." You take a look at the wall yourself, but it's just a regular old wall...

 

Fetch a ladder from somewhere.

"Wait here, I'll go fetch a ladder.". Alan and Zoe nod and continue to stare at the wall uselessly until you come back with a ladder borrowed from the menagerie.

 

"So, who's going to climb up?", Zoe asks.

 

"I guess that'd be me," Alan reluctantly says as he starts to climb the ladder. Unfortunately it seems to wobble with every step he takes. It really doesn't look safe at all. "Hey, [Character]Character/Self, can you keep this thing steady?", Alan calls out with a bit of a panicked voice.

 

You nod and do just that while Alan climbs it. It's surprisingly hard, but Alan does make it up onto the roof in one piece, and less then a minute later he tosses Zoe's wand back down to her.

 

"Sorry about that. Now, [Character]Character/Self, another hand, please?" You reluctantly nod and keep the ladder steady while Alan slowly (and nervously) climbs back down. Once back on the ground you notice he's broken out in a cold sweat.

 

"Thanks for the help, [Character]Character/Self. Now, I think I've had enough excitement for one day."

--- +1 Stress ---

 

Negation Spells. Levitate up to the roof. (Fitness/v4)

You draw your own wand and work on Negating gravity enough for you to get up onto the roof. It's slow going, but with some patience you eventually manage to get yourself high up enough to grab on to the roof's edge and pull yourself up.

 

"Do you see my wand anywhere?", Zoe asks.

 

You take a look around and see the wand, which you pick up and toss back down to Zoe. She fumbles catching it, but at least she has it back. "Thanks for the help, [Character]Character/Self. I assume you can safely jump back down?"

 

Rather than answer the question you walk off the roof, gently floating down until you're safely back on the ground.

 

"I really should learn some Negation," Alan says. Zoe doesn't say anything, but you can tell from her expression that she's thinking the same thing.

 

"Well, both of you grab your wand. I'll give you a few pointers."

--- +1 Negation Methods, +1 relationship with Zoe Melis ---

 

You draw your own wand and work on Negating gravity enough for you to get up onto the roof. It's slow going, and it seems like no matter how hard you try you just can't manage to actually get off the ground. As you stare at the wall, wondering where to go from here, you see Alan walk up to you in the corner of your eye. And he's carrying a ladder with him.

 

"Borrowed this from the menagerie," he says with a tired voice. A bit disappointed you nevertheless help Alan climb the wobbly ladder up to the roof, and which the situation is quickly resolved.

--- +1 Stress ---

 

Revision Methods. Revise the wall into something more climbing friendly. (Intelligence/v4)

Hoping that the wall is thick enough for this you pull out your wand and revise a part of the wall into a sturdy-looking ladder. Both Zoe and Alan look at you surprised in response. "I suppose one of you could have walked to the menagerie and got a mundane ladder, but this is faster," you casually say.

 

"Well, no time like the present!", Alan happily exclaims as he rushes up the Revised wall-ladder. Within seconds he's on the roof, and before Zoe can finish complimenting your casting skills she's interrupted by Alan shouting at her to get ready to catch her wand. For the roof Alan practically shouts "Great job, [Character]Character/Self! And thanks for the help."

 

"My pleasure, but you probably want to climb down the Revised ladder again before I walk off and dispel it."

 

Alan nods and climbs down, after which you cancel the spell. The wall returns to normal, and you can once again go about your business.

--- +1 Revision Spells, +1 Relationship with Alan Driscoll ---

 

Hoping that the wall is thick enough for this you pull out your wand and revise a part of the wall into a ladder. You're pretty proud of it, but Zoe seems sceptical.

 

"Are you sure that can support our weight? My weight, even?"

 

You look at the ladder and frown. Surely it could support the weight of Zoe Melis, of all students. Heck, you're sure it could easily support yours! Alan stares curiously at the ladder, and rather than argue your point you walk up to the ladder intending to simply prove it. Climbing the ladder it holds your weight perfectly fine...except when you pass the halfway point and the stone suddenly cracks, sending you down to the ground before you can think to try and grab on to something. You land square on your back with a thud, the impact knocking the wind right out of you.

 

"Well...it might have supported Zoe's weight," Alan awkwardly says in a failed attempt to say something nice.

 

"Are you alright?", Zoe asks.

 

"Yeah, I'm fine. Ju-ah-st...scratch that, I'm not fine." You're pretty sure you didn't break anything from that fall, but your back is hurting all the same. Letting out a sigh Alan helps you to your feet and says he'll help bring you to the infirmary. Zoe, meanwhile, walks off in search of a professor that'll help get her wand back.

--- -1 Vitality ---

 

Observation. Anything useful around here? (Insight/v4)

A bit further away you notice a tree a small distance away from the wall, and it looks like some of it's branches come to within jumping distance of the roof. Not the safest method to get on top of the roof, but it could work.

--- Unlock below two options, try again ---

 

You take a quick look around, but all you see is the wall in front of you.

--- Try again ---

 

Persuasion. Convince Alan to use the tree. (Charm v/4)

"Hey, Alan, how about getting onto the roof using that?" You point the the tree, and Alan looks at it sceptically.

 

"Pretty sure that's not close enough for me to jump onto the roof."

 

"You won't know until you try."

 

Alan sighs and reluctantly starts walking towards the tree. Climbing it isn't a problem for him, but once he's on the farthest branch he believes he can safely stand on he's looking over the gap between him and the roof sceptically. Nevertheless he jumps, and he manages to catch the edge of the roof with his hands. Close, but close enough. Pulling himself up on the roof he quickly finds Zoe's wand and throws it back at her. After that he rather bravely jumps off the roof, landing on the ground a bit hard.

 

"Glad that worked out. Thanks for the tip, [Character]Character/Self."

--- +1 Persuasion, +1 Relationship with Alan Driscoll ---

 

"Hey, Alan, how about getting onto the roof using that?"

 

You point the the tree, and Alan looks at it sceptically. "Pretty sure that's not close enough for me to jump onto the roof."

 

"You won't know until you try."

 

Alan sighs and reluctantly starts walking towards the tree. Climbing it isn't a problem for him, but once he's on the farthest branch he believes he can safely stand on he's looking over the gap between him and the roof sceptically. Nevertheless he jumps, and he manages to unceremoniously splat against the wall, falling down to the ground like a marionette that had it's strings cut. Close, but not close enough.

 

"Forget this," Alan says after picking himself up. "Let's just ask a professor to get the wand back. Sorry, Zoe, but can you do that? I think I tore something."

 

Zoe sighs and walks off, shaking her head, and you help the half-limping Alan drag himself to the Infirmary.

--- +1 Stress ---

 

Acrobatics. Jump to the roof yourself. (Strength/v4)

While Zoe and Alan continue to stare at the wall you walk up to the tree and look it over. It's definitely sturdy enough to hold your weight, but it's a bit of a long jump. Even so you climb the tree rather easily and prepare yourself for the jump. Just take a few steps back, use the rather large branch to get a bit of a running jump, and...got it! You manage to grab hold of the roof's edge. You pull yourself up onto the roof and walk over to Alan and Zoe. It actually takes them a second to realize you're on the roof now.

 

"[Character]Character/Self? How'd you...?"

 

You point to the tree. Zoe looks impressed, but Alan looks confused. "There's no way you could have made that jump."

 

"And yet I did. Barely, but I did."

 

Now Alan looks impressed, and Zoe asks if you can see her wand. It takes a second, but you do find it. "Here, catch!"

 

"Thanks for the help, but how are you going to come back down?", Zoe asks.

 

In response you jump off the roof, landing on the ground a bit hard but no worse for wear. "Like that."

 

Zoe again looks impressed, and both again thank you for your help.

--- +1 Brute Strength, +1 Relationship with Zoe Melis ---

 

While Zoe and Alan continue to stare at the wall you walk up to the tree and look it over. It's definitely sturdy enough to hold your weight, but it's a bit of a long jump. Even so you climb the tree rather easily and prepare yourself for the jump. Just take a few steps back, use the rather large branch to get a bit of a running jump, and...you unceremoniously splat face-first against the wall, tumble down to the ground, and land rather painfully on your side. Both Alan and Zoe hear you cry out in pain, and come rushing over.

 

"Are you alright?", Zoe asks.

 

"There's a reason I didn't try use the tree myself, you know.", Alan unhelpfully remarks. You try to pick yourself up, but there's a sharp pain coming from where you landed and it's making it hard to stand.

 

"I think we should take [Character]Character/Self to the Infirmary."

 

Alan nods, and asks Zoe if she could find a professor to get her wand back for her. She sighs, clearly not liking the idea, but even so she nods and walks off. Alan, meanwhile, help you drag yourself to the Infirmary.

--- -1 Vitality ---

 

Alan didn't really need a fifth event, but at first I decided to try and get every student 5 events to their name. It wasn't until after this event that I finally rolled something other than a 1 on my Sanity check, so yeah. Alan event anyway.

 

Random Event Student - Amada 2. Requires a positive relationship with Amada:

 

Looking around the Admiratio you're surprised to see a student from your year browsing a stall's wares. [Character]Character/Female/Selection/Amada Kiffer from Vernin, you'd recognize that hair anywhere. "Roses or tulips?", she asks you as you start to walk past her.

 

"Sorry?"

 

"What fragrance should I buy for my hair?"

 

Roses.

You give [Character]Character/Female/Selection/Amada Kiffer your answer, and she happily buys a bottle of rose fragrance from the stall. "I don't suppose you're going to tell me why you needed my advice on this?"

 

"Nope.", Amada cheerfully says as she pockets the bottle, after which she walks off. Odd.

 

"Would you like to buy a bottle of fragrance for yourself, student? They're excellent quality and fairly priced."

 

"No thanks, and my name is [Character]Character/Self. I don't suppose Amada told you why she decided to buy a bottle?"

 

The merchant shakes her head. "It's bad for business to pry, though I can tell you that rose fragrance is often used by those romantically inclined." So Amada has a crush on someone? Maybe, but if she does why would she need your help deciding on the-oh, forget it. If it's worth knowing you'll figure it out later. You thank the merchant for the information and keep walking, wondering about what Amada's plans are.

--- +1 Romance ---

 

Tulips.

You give [Character]Character/Female/Selection/Amada Kiffer your answer, and she happily buys a bottle of tulip fragrance from the stall. "I don't suppose you're going to tell me why you needed my advice on this?"

 

"Nope.", Amada cheerfully says as she pockets the bottle, after which she walks off. Odd.

 

"Would you like to buy a bottle of fragrance for yourself, student? They're excellent quality and fairly priced."

 

"No thanks, and my name is [Character]Character/Self. I don't suppose Amada told you why she decided to buy a bottle?"

 

The merchant shakes her head. "It's bad for business to pry, though I can tell you that tulip fragrance is often used when something requires a little bit extra, but something special would be too much."

 

"I wasn't aware that there were strict social norms attached to what flower was used to make perfume."

 

The merchant happily swears that there are...but you get the impression that this might just be her way of trying to push a sale. Particularly when you notice that the flowers she mentions are "conveniently" all the flowers who's fragrance she's currently selling. Either way you don't have anything special planned (at least nothing that would benefit from this), so you say goodbye to the merchant and keep walking.

--- +1 Flowers ---

 

"Why are you asking?"

Amada rolls her eyes, impatiently. "That's a secret. Now, roses or tulips?"

--- Try again ---

 

Short little event. I tried to think of a few things to make this event actually do something or another, but every attempt failed. In part because roses and tulips were the only flowers I could think of who's names I knew (that could hopefully be used for persume, anyway, otherwise the third option would have been poison ivy). So yeah. Still, a brief event that doesn't try to kill you is a good thing. Besides, Amada's next event...

 

Random Event Student - Amada 3. No requirements:

 

Walking through the Academagia you suddenly hear the sounds of an argument coming from an adjacent hallway. Taking a peek as you pass by you see four students that you all recognize - [Character]Character/Female/Selection/Amada Kiffer, [Character]Character/Female/Selection/Olivia Solari, [Character]Character/Male/Selection/Cyrus Dawes and [Character]Character/Female/Selection/Sima Venesico - taking turns pointing to someone or saying something. From the looks of it, their argument is going nowhere. And then Amada spots you staring at them.

 

"Hey, [Character]Character/Self! Come over here!". You sigh and reluctantly walk over, already dreading where this is going.

 

"Who's the prettiest out of the three of us?", Olivia asks without prompt.

 

"Doesn't matter.", Sima remarks before you can point out that you see four students, "What matters is who makes the best impression."

 

"And how do you suggest to make a good impression if you don't look your best?", Amada asks.

 

Sima shrugs, but there's an odd grin on her face that clearly says she thinks more than she's saying. Ignoring Olivia's earlier question you turn to face Cyrus and ask what the deal is.

 

"I wish I knew. I was just complimenting Amada's hair, and about five minutes later here I am." Olivia seems to take offense to that and casts a half pitiable, half angry glare at Cyrus. Meanwhile Amada turns to face you and repeats Olivia's earlier question.

 

"Why are you asking-"

 

"Don't fret the details, just answer me."

 

"Impatience doesn't suit you, Amada.", Sima remarks before you can say anything. Again. Amada glares at Sima, and turns back to you. "Well?"

 

Hm...

 

Cyrus is the prettiest. (Female PC)

All the girls glare at you, Olivia in particular. "What? You really think that out of the four of you I wouldn't say Cyrus is the prettiest?"

 

Cyrus actually smiles after hearing that, and thankfully Olivia isn't looking at him so she doesn't see it. "I asked which of the three of us was the prettiest!", Olivia snarls out.

 

"True, but you didn't specify who the fourth person was."

 

Clearly angered Olivia shoves you out of the way and stomps off, leaving Amada and Sima (and Cyrus and yourself) standing.

 

"See, told you so. Making a good impression is more than just good looks.", Sima says a bit too cheerfully. Amada doesn't respond, but there's a frown on her face that clearly indicates she has something to say. Having proven her point Sima cheerfully walks off, leaving you standing here with a pouting Amada and amused Cyrus.

 

"Something the matter, Amada?", Cyrus asks with a heart-melting smile on his face. Amada looks up and sees Cyrus' expression, but it doesn't appear to work on her. Well, not immediately. She gives Cyrus a bit of a pitiable look and asks if she was the prettiest of the girls. Good looks are all well and nice, but you can't help but roll your eyes at this.

 

"Ever heard of beauty being in the eyes of the...the person looking at you? Sima did have a point, you know."

 

Amada looks disappointed, again, and turns to Cyrus. "Relax, I think you look pretty.", he says, and Amada seems to perk up. You'll admit, part of you is tempted to ask "what about me?" just to see where and how that conversational shipwreck ends up crashing first-hard, but you've got more important things to do than to hurt someone's feelings for no reason. After a moment you realize that Cyrus can handle this situation very well, particularly when he invites Amada over to look at the position of the stars as they're depicted in the Mantle of Star, so you excuse yourself and continue with your own business.

--- +1 Stress, -2 Relationship with Olivia, -1 Relationship with Amada, +1 Relationship with Cyrus and Sima, +1 Relationship between Cyrus and Amada ---

 

Cyrus is the prettiest. (Male PC)

Everyone ends up staring at you, looking confused. Olivia in particular seems unsure of how she should react. "What? Sima has a point, you know, and Cyrus is the only one not arguing."

 

Both Sima and Cyrus appear to suppress a bit of laughter as the other two girls immediately forget about their earlier argument and start up a new one with you. Perhaps not the best way you could have handled that, but at least you put an end to one argument.

--- +1 Stress, -1 Relationship with Amada and Olivia, +1 Relationship with Sima and Cyrus ---

 

Bluff. Doge the question by making stuff up. (Charm/v4)

"So, when you say 'prettiest', exactly what do you intend for that to mean?"

 

Amada and Cyrus stare at you confused, unsure of how to respond. Sima doesn't respond either, but she's got a knowing smirk on her face she doesn't care to try and hide. "What you should understand it to mean. You weren't born yesterday, were you?", Olivia remarks. Right, Olivia is enrolled in Dialectic and she's probably not especially patient right now. You'll have to step up your game.

 

"Yes, I suppose that's true, but remember that I haven't been given any context for this discussion and so I could hardly be expected to give a fair and well thought-out answer to your question."

 

Olivia rolls her eyes. "Just answer the question. That's not so hard to understand, is it?"

 

"It is without proper context, which is why I asked. You asked who the prettiest is, but what exactly am I supposed to judge here?"

 

"Overall appearance as you saw us half a minute ago. Now if you'd please?"

 

"Exactly as I saw you? Because if so I'd also have to account for the argument you were having and truth be told in that case I'd have to vote for Cyrus. Pointing at each other and making those accusatory faces really isn't attractive, you know." Olivia frowns while the (mostly unseen) grin on Sima's face becomes increasingly bigger.

 

"Okay, as you saw us half a minute ago without the argument. Now can you answer a simple question!?"

 

Before you can think of a response Sima suddenly blurts out, "If it was a simple question we'd not have been arguing over it in the first place." Sima immediately starts running after saying that, and Olivia is apparently furious enough to give chase while ranting something incoherently as she runs after Sima and eventually out of view, leaving you standing alone with a thoroughly confused Amada and Cyrus.

 

"So, eh, [Character]Character/Self?", Amada slowly says.

 

"Yeah?"

 

"I get that we kinda put you on the spot there, but...who would you actually say is the prettiest?"

 

You shrug. "Does it really matter? I don't know what you three were arguing about exactly, but I agree that a good impression is important and out of the three queens that used to be here only one didn't take off running."

 

Amada actually smiles a little. "So...you'd say that I'm the 'prettiest'?". You shrug, not hiding the grin on your own face. Cyrus shakes his head, smiling himself.

 

"As much as I don't want to I'll go after Olivia and make sure she doesn't start trouble with Sima. At least I'm pretty sure I could calm her down easily."

 

"Actually, I have a better idea," Amada says, "Let's leave those two to whatever professor runs into them and grab ourselves a snack from the Great Hall."

 

"Better plan accepted, and thanks for the invitation. Let's go." Cyrus and Amada leave, and you go back to your own business as well.

--- -1 Relationship with Olivia Solari, +1 Relationship with Cyrus/Sima/Amada, +1 First Principles, +1 Relationship between Amada and Cyrus ---

 

"Well, see, I don't necessarily have the same idea of what counts as 'pretty' as you do, so I don't think I can give you a fair answer." There's a bit of an uncomfortable silence hanging in the air as you slowly realize that no one bought the wrong corner of the barn you were selling there.

 

"So do you think any of us are pretty or not?", Olivia asks with a curious look on her face.

 

"Well...yes, but-"

 

"So your 'ideas' aren't too different from traditional standards?"

 

"Not too different, but they're not exactly the same as-"

 

"So on some level you're attracted to weird things you shouldn't be attracted to?"

 

"I didn't say that-"

 

"So your personal standards aren't any different from traditional values after all?"

 

Before you get a chance to answer Amada sighs and says, "Olivia, please stop making [Character]Character/Self dig [Character]Character/Selfself a deeper grave, this is just embarrassing."

 

"Please don't. This is getting entertaining.", Sima remarks. You frown at Sima, which only amuses her even more, and notice Cyrus looking amused at you as well.

 

"Okay, captain looks, how would you have answered that question?"

 

"With 'Amada', that's quite simple. Sima was never arguing the importance of her looks, so she won't be offended if she wasn't named. Olivia and Amada would be, but Amada has clearly put more effort into her hair, clothes and even face today, so I could name her the prettiest without offending her and later explain to Olivia that while Amada did look the prettiest she also put the most effort into it, so I could say to Olivia that she is naturally the prettiest."

 

"You really think you've got us all figured out, huh?", Amada says, seemingly offended.

 

"I can say he figured me out.", Sima cheerfully remarks.

 

"I like guys that can read their girl's heart - and only their girl's heart - like an open book.", Olivia says while staring a bit strangely at Cyrus.

 

"And what does that say about your dream boy if he's able to read me like an open book, eh?", Sima cheerfully remarks. You can see Olivia getting worked up again and take that as your cue to leave.

--- -1 Relationship with Amada/Olivia, +1 Relationship with Sima, -1 Persuasion ---

 

Aesthetics. Determine who the prettiest is. (Charm/v3)

After carefully consideration you must conclude that it is Amada Kiffer who is, without doubt, the prettiest. You announce your chosen winner to the great excitement of this hallway's newly crowed beauty queen, but also to the disappointment of Olivia.

 

"Really? I mean Amada certainly looks good, but is she really the prettiest?" You get the impression that despite Olivia asking that question she's not especially interested in hearing an answer. Well, hearing one from you, that is, particularly with the way she's giving Cyrus all kinds of signals. With a grin Cyrus addresses you and says, "Definitely the prettiest, but than she's clearly put extra work into her looks today. If we had a contest of natural beauty I wonder how our fair contestants would look."

 

Olivia looks pleased with Cyrus' answer, but Sima clearly hasn't fallen for his charms. At least, not visibly. "Cute, Cyrus, but I've got business to take care of so I'll leave you spring butterflies to it."

 

Before you can be dragged into anything else you excuse yourself as well, overhearing Amada, Cyrus and Olivia mention something about a plan to meet up later before you step out of earshot.

--- +1 Observation, +1 Relationship with Amada ---

 

You carefully examine the three girls, and are left with the impression that it is, in fact, Sima who is the prettiest. Well, they asked you a question, you're going to answer it. "It is, in fact, Sima who is the prettiest."

 

Both Amada and Olivia look absolutely mortified, while Cyrus has a curious look on his face. Sima, however, seems to be a bit embarrassed. In fact, she's blushing a little. "Huh? Y-you say that like that should come as a surprise."

 

"It should.", both Amada and Olivia say in unison.

 

Sima doesn't know how to respond. She just stares blankly at you, clearly unprepared for this.

 

"Tell me your secret.", Olivia calmly says.

 

"Huh?"

 

"You secret! You must have done something to charm [Character]Character/Self here!", Amada demands a bit more forcefully.

 

"Charm? I know I'm in Hedi but I don't-"

 

"I'm not talking about Glamour, I'm talking about your cosmetics! You do wear cosmetics, right?"

 

"No?", Sima asks more so than she answers.

 

After a moment of deliberation Amada says, "Than it must be her hair. I mean, clearly it must be her hair."

 

"Clearly.", Olivia says in agreement.

 

"Is that supposed to mean there's something wrong with my face or-eh, what are you two-!?" Sima doesn't get a chance to protest further as Olivia and Amada nod to each other and grab Sima by her arms, dragging her through the hallway to a place where, presumably, they can study her hair in detail. You share a strange look with Cyrus, who seems to have been observing you during that little exchange. "So I take it Sima is your type?"

 

You shrug. "What does that-I mean, I looked at the three of them and Sima was the prettiest. Is there something wrong with that?"

 

"No.", Cyrus says with a grin, "But when Sima is standing next to Olivia and Amada there's...well, not too many students who'd agree with your opinion."

 

"Their loss? I checked. Sima was the prettiest."

 

Cyrus laughs and nods. "It's fine, [Character]Character/Self. Anyway, I'm feeling a bit worn out from that mess. Want to go grab a drink in the Great Hall?"

 

"Sure." Before returning to your own business you take a break with Cyrus in the Great Hall, sharing a few funny stories over a much-needed drink.

--- -1 Character Study, -1 Relationship with Amada/Olivia, +2 Relationship with Sima ---

 

Pure Luck. Stall for time and hope luck is on your side. (Luck/v4)

You nervously take a look at each of the three girls and individually compliment their respective looks, but before you're ask again to say who you think the prettiest is you notice [instructor]Instructor/Selection of Instructor/Kate Badcrumble stepping into the hallway and heading directly towards the five of you. "There you are.", she says addressing Cyrus and Olivia. "Did you two forget about today's extra lecture? Both of you failed last week's test so you're required to attend."

 

Cyrus and Olivia look at each other nervously, and Professor Badcrumble frowns. "So what were you five discussing, if I may ask?"

 

"N-nothig important.", Olivia quickly says, but you can see that the regent isn't buying it.

 

"The importance of making a good impression, and the roll that beauty plays in it. That doesn't play in it, rather.", Sima says with absolute confidence, like that's what you actually were discussing.

 

"Well, I'll be happy to cover that as well. Now come along you two, the lecture starts in five minutes." Both Cyrus and Olivia hang their head, silently following Professor Badcrumble as she escorts them to this special lecture.

 

"Do you know what that was about?", Amada asks no one in particular.

 

"Donno, I didn't enroll in Astrology." Sima looks at you, and you shrug. "Nothing I heard of. Apparently I didn't need to hear of it, or Professor Badcrumble

probably would have taken me along as well." Sima shrugs, seeming not too terribly interested.

 

"Well, that aside, [Character]Character/Self, who's the prettiest of us?" You look at Amada and realize that Sima isn't going to care if you say she's the prettiest or not, so this isn't a difficult question anymore. "That'd be you, obviously. No offense, Sima."

 

"None taken.", she says with a grin.

 

Amada looks happy. "Good to know my hard work paid off. Anyway I have to go, thanks for your time [Character]Character/Self."

 

You nod and wait for Amada to walk out of earshot before asking Sima what that was all about anyway. "No clue, I just saw a good opportunity for entertainment and took it. By the way, thanks for the earlier compliment. I wasn't aware you liked my haircut so much."

 

"Eh, well, I...", you nervously sputter out while trying to remember what you even said while waiting for something to bail you out.

 

Sima keeps staring at you, clearly amused while you make a fool of yourself. By the time you realize that shutting up is a good idea there's a large grin on her face, one that doesn't look like it's merely from amusement. "Anyway, want to go grab a drink form the Great Hall? You look like you could use one."

 

You could use several, at this point. "Sure, let's go."

--- +1 Relationship with Sima/Amada, +1 Pure Luck ---

 

You nervously take a look at each of the three girls and individually compliment their respective looks, hoping beyond hope that sooner rather than later someone will show up and save you from this mess. And just as you've run out of compliments you do see something walking up to the group! Sweet salvation at last! Finally you don't...why is [Character]Character/Female/Selection/Neta Xemutre walking towards you?

 

"Hey, [Character]Character/Self, finally. Regent [instructor]Instructor/Selection of Instructor/Finus Piaxenza wants you, something about the stables I think."

 

You're not sure what to think about that. "That's all? He didn't give you more detail?"

 

Neta shakes her head. "So what were you five discussing, anyway?"

 

Before anyone else can speak up you quickly blurt out "Nothing important, and I'd better go check out what the regent wants!" Walking quickly away you can feel Amada and Olivia glare into your spine, and you overhear Neta repeating her question. The good news is that you don't stick around to find out how that discussion ended up not working out for Cyrus at all (probably), the bad news is that one of the stables is going to be checked and repaired, and the regent wanted an extra hand to help clear it out before the carpenters arrived. Why you were the first student he could think of you're not entirely sure, but it did spare you from an even worse fate, so you're not going to complain.

--- -1 Relationship with Amada/Olivia, +1 Stress ---

 

Character Study. How do the girls look, anyway? (Insight/v4)

Sima and Olivia look like they always do, but you notice that Amada looks especially charming today. Relative to what you think she'd consider "charming", anyway. You don't know why she put that extra effort in her looks today, but you do know that as a result she should be more receptive to flattery and compliments. That might make this earlier.

--- +20% CoS, try again ---

 

Everyone looks pretty much like they always do. Nothing that you could use as an argument or...something that might have accomplished something, maybe.

--- Try again ---

 

One of those rare instances where the failure options are more interesting and fun (/Fun) than the successful options.

 

Continued in the next post because I broke the character limit. Again.

Edited by Metis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Random Event Student - Cosetta 2, or "Why the team is very happy that I went to the lengths that I did". Requires not having Cosetta in your Clique:

 

Walking past the Astrology classroom you're suddenly called by Regent [instructor]Instructor/Selection of Instructor/Kate Badcrumble, who's reviewing papers at her desk. "Good afternoon, [Character]Character/Self. Have you seen [Character]Character/Female/Selection/Cosetta Re anywhere today, by chance?"

 

"No, professor, I haven't, but do you mind if I ask why you're asking me?"

 

Professor Badcrumble shrugs her shoulders as she lets out a sigh. "Nothing important, she just wasn't in class today and apparently her classmates don't know where she is."

 

"Probably came down with something and visited the infirmary.", you speculate.

 

"Perhaps, regardless I'll go talk to her later. Please do tell her to stop by my office if you see her. Oh, and don't worry about whether I'd be there at that time. I am the Astrology professor, after all."

 

You nod and say you'll pass along the message, not that you intend to go looking for Cosetta Re. Although as it turns out you don't have to, as a few minutes (and hallways) later you spot that same Cosetta Re apparently trying to pick the lock on a door that you're pretty sure leads into a storage room that's off-limits to students. Not that anything especially dangerous is kept in there, just brewing ingredients and spare alchemy equipment if you recall, but it's still off-limits to students and apparently Cosetta Re is trying to break into it. How to respond to this bit of rule breaking...

 

Just walk up to her, give her the message, and leave.

Most students would hurt someone for the chance of hurting Cosetta, she's that infamous even among her fellows in Avila, but you don't especially care to go out of your way right now. Besides, just walking up to her while she's presumably trying to keep hidden has great irony in there somewhere, you're sure. You don't even try to hide the fact that you're fast approaching, and as you get close Cosetta notices you and appears to freeze in place. You figured she'd be more used to getting caught and not freezing up like that, but you don't really care. With nothing but an everyday expression on your face you casually say "Good afternoon miss rule-breaker, I just walked past the Astrology classroom and Professor Badcrumble asked me to tell you that she's expecting you in her office. Like, now-ish."

 

"What? Already!? I didn't even pick the lock yet!", Cosetta says surprised. You shrug.

 

"Ticking off the Astrology professor will do that, and skipping class will do that. Anyway, you better get moving. And yes, she knows she's not in her office right now. She'll be there. Astrology professor and all, I'm sure you understand.". You walk off, leaving Cosetta behind completely confused. Looking back you see she seems to have given up on the break-in attempt and is slowly walking off, presumably towards Professor Badcrumble's office, defeated.

 

A few hours later you run into Professor Badcrumble again, who looks pretty pleased to see you. "Thank you for sending [Character]Character/Female/Selection/Sigalis du Sonmeil to my office, she'll be keeping Cosetta company in detention tomorrow." Wait, Sigalis? You're pretty sure you talked to Cosetta Re. Seeing the confusion on your face the professor's grin widens. "You didn't notice? Well, let's just say that you should be more careful about students using Glamours. All the same, though, good job." The professor walks off, leaving you confused for a second until your brain manages to put the pieces together. Well, be it Sigalis or Cosetta you appear to have done a good job today, so you guess all's well that ends well.

--- +1 Pure Luck ---

 

Negation. Freeze her in place. (Intelligence/v3)

You draw your wand, carefully go through the needed Phemes, and let your spell fly. Within seconds Cosetta is completely frozen in place, long enough for you to cast a few more complex but long-lasting lockdown spells. While a wide grin spreads over your face you put your wand away and say to your prey, "You just wait here, I'll go fetch, oh, say, Professor Badcrumble? Yes, Professor Badcrumble sounds like a good choice." Cosetta can't really respond in her current condition, so without a word said against you you run off and fetch Professor Badcrumble. She's still in the classroom and all too happily follows you to Cosetta Re, who's still frozen in place where you left her.

 

"Well, well. First skipping class and now breaking into the brewing storage? You're in big trouble, Cosetta." Professor Badcrumble casts her own spells while you dispel yours, which gives Cosetta the freedom to glare at you with murder in her eyes. It doesn't give her the freedom to run away, though. "Alright Cosetta, time to discuss what you've been up to in my office. [Character]Character/Self?" Professor Badcrumble turns around to look at you, and you turn to face her. "I'm awarding three points of Merit to [College]College/Character/Self, both for upholding the spirit of school conduct as opposed to the letter..."

 

Professor Badcrumble casts a disappointed glance at Cosetta, and turns back to you.

 

"And for your skilled use of Negation." You nod, and watch as the professor carts Cosetta back to her office. You leave and go back to your business, feeling like you accomplished something worthwhile...up until a few hours later, when you see Cosetta Re run up to you while you're eating a meal in the Great Hall. And she looks far too happy to see you. With a big smile she says, "Thank you so much for catching Sigalis earlier today, [Character]Character/Self. I might have gotten detention instead of her if you didn't catch her when you did!"

 

"...Sigalis?"

 

"[Character]Character/Female/Selection/Sigalis du Sonmeil, that sourpot from Hedi. She had a big idea about framing me for a break-in, but you stopped her at just the right time, so she's in detention - as she should - instead of me! As thanks I didn't point out to Professor Badcrumble that you really shouldn't have been walking through that hallway to begin with - it's not just the storage room that's off limits, everything up to an including the hallway itself is - so you don't have to worry about getting detention over that."

 

"...Thanks. That'd...be annoying if I got reprimanded for that."

 

"You're welcome. But don't think I'll go easy on you if I catch you trespassing elsewhere. I've got my eyes on you."

 

"Duly noted..."

 

Cosetta Re runs off, even waving you goodbye as a large number of students keep their eyes fixated on her until she's out of the Great Hall...at which point more than a few people start glaring at you. An awkward silence follows as it takes you a minute to think of how to respond to this, but once you do you make sure that the gawkers hear it. "SON of a-!". The last part is rendered inaudible by the sound of you slamming your head against the table in frustration.

--- +3 Merit, +1 Intrigue, +1 Relationship with Cosetta, -2 Relationship with Sigalis ---

 

You draw your wand and throw a Negation at Cosetta, but unfortunately she manages to move around enough to cast a counter-spell and run away before you can catch her. Unable to chase her down you turn around and go to Professor Badcrumble with your tail tucked between your legs, reluctantly explaining your failure with stopping Cosetta. She's disappointed, but she does follow you to the door to check if anyone was indeed messing with it. And as you expected from the Astrology professor a quick spell later and you see an image of...Sigalis du Sonmeil? Wait, what? You turn to the professor and insist that you saw Cosetta, and she waves you off.

 

"Sigalis had a Glamour cast on her, that's probably why your Negation ended up not working as well as you thought. Still, this is enough to reprimand Sigalis for all the school conduct rules she broke trying to frame Cosetta for this. Thank you for the help, [Character]Character/Self.". You nod, feeling like the praise isn't really warranted.

--- -1 Confidence ---

 

Blackmail. See of Cosetta can buy your silence. (Charm/v3)

Wand drawn, just in case, you walk up to Cosetta with a predatory grin on your face. She hears you coming and appears to freeze in place, though she does draw her own wand. "Well, well...", you slowly say, "Is that Cosetta Re I see, trying to break in somewhere where she has no right to go? My, how absolutely-"

 

"Can in, [Character]Character/Self, if I was in the mood for poor acting I'd take a seat in the Dimmae Theater. What do you want?"

 

"Fifty Pims."

 

"For?"

 

"My silence on this matter."

 

Cosetta glares at you for what feels like a very long time, carefully observing you. "How about instead of Pims I offer a degree of truth?" You raise an eyebrow. "Eh...maybe? I can't really say whether it'll be worth anything until after I hear it, though." Without pausing for even a second Cosetta responds "Will your offer of silence include that 'truth' if I offer it up front?"

 

You think about it for a second, and nod. "Those are agreeable terms. Tell me this truth, and I'll consider whether it's valuable enough to revise my offer." Cosetta simply, and seemingly randomly, points behind her, which confuses you at first...until you notice that she's pointing to her shadow. And it doesn't fit her figure at all. A Glamour? This isn't Cosetta Re at all? "So, has your offer changed?" You stare at Cosetta, or rather this girl Glamoured up to look like Cosetta. At least you think it's a girl, judging from the shadow. You don't recognize it, though. "I...perhaps. Can I ask for what purpose you've Glamoured yourself up?" Not-Cosetta rolls her eyes. "Isn't that obvious?" You think for a second and really, it is. She's trying to frame Cosetta for this breach of school conduct. "So, has your offer changed?"

--- Unlock below three options, lock all other options, try again ---

 

Wand drawn, just in case, you walk up to Cosetta with a predatory grin on your face. She hears you coming and appears to freeze in place, though she does draw her own wand. "Well, well...", you slowly say, "Is that Cosetta Re I see, trying to break in somewhere where she has no right to go? My, how absolutely-"

 

"Can in, [Character]Character/Self, if I was in the mood for poor acting I'd take a seat in the Dimmae Theater. What do you want?"

 

"Fifty Pims."

 

"For?"

 

"My silence on this matter."

Cosetta glares at you for what feels like a very long time, carefully observing you. "And if I don't pay, then what?"

 

"Then Professor Badcrumble might hear about your...activities. She's already looking for you, you know. Skipping class, and all. I'm sure she'd like to know why you were skipping class."

 

Cosetta actually appears completely unfazed. "And if she asks you why you didn't try to stop me?"

 

"I can think of excuses."

 

"So your plan, if it comes to that, is to lie to a professor's face?"

Cosetta's neutral face has actually made way for one of disbelief. She's staring at you pretty strangely now, still completely unfazed. "Frankly, I think it's a safe bet to assume that you'd trip over your own tongue trying to tell this to Professor Badcrumble."

 

"Even if I do she'd still know, and even if she didn't believe me she'd still as you where you were during class. Do you want to try and lie to a professor's face?"

 

Cosetta flashes a superior smile. You don't know why, but for some reason she's incredibly confident...or incredibly good at deception. "I think I'll take my chances with Professor Badcrumble rather than handing you even a single Pim. Have fun telling her, [Character]Character/Self."

--- Unlock below fourth option, lock all other options, try again ---

 

Offer to help frame Cosetta.

"Greatly. In fact, can I do anything to help? Cosetta...well, let's say I have a reason to cause some trouble for her."

 

Not-Cosetta rolls her eyes, smiling almost innocently. "You and practically every other first year. Though there is one thing you can do to help - see if you can find Professor Badcrumble, ask her if she knows where Cosetta is. As for why, well, you don't need to know those details, if Professor Badcrumble asks just say a friend of yours asked where she is. It's not even a lie, technically."

 

You smile yourself. "If you say so I'll assume not, but I actually just passed by Professor Badcrumble. She's in the Astrology classroom, looking over papers, and she actually asked me to pass a message along to Cosetta - the real one, I assume - that she should go to her office and wait for her there. Cosetta wasn't in class today, so that's why."

 

Not-Cosetta's eyes widen a little. "What? You're sure of that?"

 

You nod and Not-Cosetta looks a little nervous for a second, but she recovers quickly. "That's...okay, I can manage that. In that case, go to Cosetta and pass along that message. She's in the infirmary, for...unrelated reasons."

 

You nod. "I actually thought she'd be there. Sure thing, I'll pass along that message."

 

Not-Cosetta nods and resumes trying to pick the lock while you stop by the infirmary. Cosetta is indeed inside, and she looks like she unsuccessfully flirted with [Character]Character/Male/Selection/Philippe Marchant within eyesight of [Character]Character/Female/Selection/Joana Lio y Rossollo. She turns to look at you when she hears you coming, though she doesn't say anything. "Hey there Cosetta, Professor Badcrumble is looking for you.", you say with a bit too wide of a smile.

 

Cosetta's frown drops ever deeper, and it was fairly deep to begin with. "Of course. Just what I needed. I'll visit her tomorrow...once my legs work again."

"Sure thing.", you say as you turn around and leave. Cosetta probably wouldn't appreciate pity, anyway. Having done that you go back to your business and make it a point to avoid both the classroom and the hallway where you met Not-Cosetta, and a few hours later you hear word that Cosetta got reprimanded for things that she claims she didn't do...even though she has the leg injuries from sprung traps that "prove" she did do it. You're curious how Not-Cosetta managed to get everything to fall into place like this, but certainly not curious enough to risk revealing the plot by asking around about it, so it appears that this will remain a mystery.

--- +1 Intrigue, +2 Relationship with Sigalis ---

 

Framing Cosetta for something she didn't do? You can offer a major discount for such a worthy cause.

"Yes, and while I'm afraid I cannot offer my silence for free I can offer a 90% discount for such a worthy cause. Business, you know. I'm sure you understand."

 

Not-Cosetta smiles. "5 Pims it is than, here they are. And I'll be holding you to that. You might not know who I am but rest assured, I do know who you are."

 

"Certainly, and rest assured that you'll never hear from me on this. Ah, one thing though, Professor Badcrumble is looking for Cosetta and asked me to pass along the message that she's expecting her in her office...although I'm pretty sure she's expecting the real Cosetta, not, well, you. She wasn't in Astrology class today, so that's why."

 

Not-Cosetta's eyes widen a little. "Really? Well then, I'll have to adjust my plan a little, thanks for the tip. Now please, go and keep your head low for a bit. I've got work to do."

 

"Certainly, and you're welcome."

 

You spend the rest of the day avoiding both this hallway and the Astrology classroom as much as possible, and while you don't end up hearing anything about Not-Cosetta you certainly hear the real Cosetta rant about having been "unjustly" given detention. Of course you keep your silence, like a professional.

--- +1 Intrigue, +1 Relationship with Sigalis, +5 Pims ---

 

No, sadly not. Fifty Pims it is.

"Interesting, but sadly not interesting enough to change my rate. Rest assured, though, that your 'truth' in included in that price. No one will know, at least from me."

 

Not-Cosetta frowns as she hands you fifty Pims. "I'll hold you to that, and oh gods if you don't..."

 

"Oh, I'm aware, rest assured.". You pocket the money and start to walk away, leaving Not-Cosetta to her lockpicking. A few hours later you hear that Cosetta Re did get detention for things she claims she didn't do, but no one seems to even suspect that she was set-up. You definitely never suggest otherwise, especially while counting Pims.

--- +1 Intrigue, +50 Pims ---

 

Well, you tried. Time to leave.

Feeling a bit annoyed you shrug and turn around, going right back to Professor Badcrumble. Except that once you're out of Cosetta's sight you go off track and veer away from the Astrology classroom. For all the points you made Cosetta's own were just as valid - you don't have a good excuse ready and you don't care to risk lying to a professor's face just to make sure that Cosetta is going to be questioned on something that Professor Badcrumble is sure to question her on anyway. A total loss, in the end, but at least Cosetta is unlikely to blackmail you over your blackmail attempt. She'd have to admit to having done something worth being blackmailed over for that, after all.

--- -1 Character Study ---

 

Observation. Is that really Cosetta Re? (Insight/v4)

Taking a closer look you notice that while Cosetta seems fine her shadow doesn't appear to match her actual figure...and walking a bit closer only appears to confirm that. You can't see who this person really is, not from here without some sort of magical aid, but you can tell that it's not Cosetta Re.

--- Switch above A version of above options with below B versions, try again ---

 

As far as you can tell this is the one and only Cosetta Re.

--- Try again ---

 

This not being Cosetta Re doesn't mean that you care.

It's a pretty bizarre situation, someone impersonating Cosetta Re trying to break into a storage room, but...eh, you don't really see anything that you could add to it. Or remove from it. With a shrug you resume walking and pass right by whoever the Glamour-girl is (you assume it's a girl judging by the shadow), not even giving her a single glance. Although looking back she actually has a smile on her face, and appears to have taken this as a sign of your silent cooperation. Well, nothing lost, something gained. You're not complaining.

--- +1 Relationship with Sigalis ---

 

Negation. Whether she's Cosetta or not you should stop her, regardless (Luck/v2)

You draw your wand, carefully go through the needed Phemes, and let your spell fly. Within seconds Not-Cosetta is completely frozen in place, long enough for you to cast a few more complex but long-lasting lockdown spells. Satisfied you turn around, not giving Not-Cosetta a chance to even get a look at you, and start running back to Professor Badcrumble. She looks a bit surprised when she sees you. "I assume you have a good reason for running through the hallways? Surely this isn't about you finding Cosetta?"

 

"Yes and no. I just caught and froze a student trying to break into an off-limits storeroom. She looked exactly like Cosetta, minus her shadow."

 

The professor stands up from behind her desk and starts following you. "Could you tell who the student truly was?"

 

"Not from her shadow alone, and Negating the Glamour would just make her run away."

 

Professor Badcrumble has a frown on her face until you get to Not-Cosetta, who's right where you left her. Professor Badcrumble casts her own spells while you dispel yours. Not-Cosetta is looking at you with murder in her eyes, but being right next to a professor you're not especially intimidated. "So nice of you to join us, Cosetta.", Professor Badcrumble ironically says while casting one more Negation. The image of Cosetta melts, instead revealing [Character]Character/Female/Selection/Sigalis du Sonmeil. "Or not, but that really doesn't concern me overly much.", the professor says with a neutral tone.

 

"[Character]Character/Self, thank you for your help with catching Sigalis du Sonmeil. Three Merit to [College]College/Character/Self for your quick thinking and action, as well as perceptive abilities. Now, Sigalis, to my office. We'll talk further there." Sigalis gives you an absolutely vicious glare as she passes you by and starts following Professor Badcrumble. Well, at least someone said you did something right today.

--- +3 Merit, -2 Relationship with Sigalis, +1 Negation Methods ---

 

You draw your wand and throw a Negation at Not-Cosetta, but unfortunately she manages to move around enough to cast a counter-spell and run away before you can catch her. Unable to chase her down you turn around and go to Professor Badcrumble with your tail tucked between your legs, reluctantly explaining your failure with stopping Not-Cosetta. She's disappointed, but she does follow you to the door to check if anyone was indeed messing with it. And as you expected from the Astrology professor a quick spell later and you see an image of...[Character]Character/Female/Selection/Sigalis du Sonmeil.

 

"Why'd she Glamour herself up as Cosetta? Wouldn't, I don't know, Rui have made for a better cover?"

 

Professor Badcrumble shrugs her shoulders, apparently not interested. "Whatever her reasons I'll see to it that she'd reprimanded for this breach of school conduct. Thank you for your help on this matter, [Character]Character/Self.". You weakly nod, unsure if the praise is really deserved.

--- -1 Relationship with Sigalis, -1 Confidence ---

 

Blackmail. Interesting tidbit of information...see how much her silence is worth. (Charm/v2)

With a slight grin on your face you walk up to Not-Cosetta, wand drawn just in case. She sees you coming and stops for only a moment before drawing her own wand, although she doesn't point it at you.

 

"What do you want? Can't you see I'm busy?"

 

"Busy breaking into a room you're not supposed to be in? What are you doing?"

 

"None of your concerns, [Character]Character/Self, just leave me alone."

 

"And waste that beautiful information? You have a secret you want to keep, and that is worth something to me. And, in turn, to you."

 

Not-Cosetta glares at you, but you're not intimidated. "How much?"

 

"75 Pims."

 

"That's highway robbery."

 

"For one secret it would be, but you have more than one to keep." You casually motion to Not-Cosetta's shadow, revealing the Glamour she cast on herself. Not-Cosetta looks surprised for a moment, but she looks downright vicious afterwards.

 

"For Octacius' sake [Character]Character/Self, why are you getting in my way when you're clearly not the kind of teacher's pet that'd break their poor innocent little heart at the thought of breaking school conduct rules?"

 

"Sorry, but I don't see how those points connect."

 

Not-Cosetta rolls her eyes, you're clearly straining her patience. "If I just wanted a cover do you really think I'd have picked Cosetta Re rather than, say, [Character]Character/Male/Selection/Rui da Casga or someone along those lines?"

 

Thinking about it...Not-Cosetta does make a good point. As far as covers for break-ins go Cosetta Re is a popular option, give how widely she's hated, but not a practical one for the very same reason. "You have a plan?"

 

"Yes, and I'd very much appreciate it if you didn't freaking blackmail me over trying to one-up Cosetta Re of all students. Come talking about blackmail when I threaten to break [Character]Character/Female/Selection/Ana Flavia Bessa's arms or something, not with this."

 

"You think a blackmailer cares about ethics all that much?"

 

"No, but I'd expect a blackmailer to seriously not care about Cosetta. Now are you going to get out of my way or not?"

 

Hm...

--- Unlock below three options, lock all other options, try again ---

 

With a slight grin on your face you walk up to Not-Cosetta, wand drawn just in case. She sees you coming and stops for only a moment before drawing her own wand, although she doesn't point it at you

 

"What do you want? Can't you see I'm busy?"

 

"Busy breaking into a room you're not supposed to be in? What are you doing?"

 

"None of your concerns [Character]Character/Self, just leave me alone."

 

"And waste that beautiful information? You have a secret you want to keep, and that is worth something to me. And, in turn, to you."

 

Not-Cosetta glares at you, but you're not intimidated. "How much?"

 

"75 Pims."

 

"That's highway robbery."

 

"For one secret it would be, but you have more than one to keep."

 

You casually motion to Not-Cosetta's shadow, revealing the Glamour she cast on herself. Not-Cosetta looks surprised for a moment, but she looks downright vicious afterwards. "For Octacius' sake, [Character]Character/Self, why are you getting in my way when you're clearly not the kind of teacher's pet that'd break their poor innocent little heart at the thought of breaking school conduct rules?"

 

"Sorry, but I don't see how those points connect."

 

Not-Cosetta actually looks offended by that. "Are you dense!? Just...get out of my sight, [Character]Character/Self! And say one word about this to a professor or Cosetta and I'll make sure to bury your body right next to [Character]Character/Male/Selection/Reitz von Lutersee."

 

It could just be the Glamour she has cast on her, but somehow she doesn't look like she's joking...

--- Unlock below fourth option, lock all other options, try again ---

 

Get out of her way? Heck, offer to help.

"I am, as a matter a fact, going to offer you my help, if you need it. You really should have told me earlier about this being an actual plan rather than just a poor choice of cover."

 

"Unlike most I'm not an idiot.", Not-Cosetta says without any hint of doubt or regret. "That said, I don't think there's anything you can do to help, other than keep your head down for a few hours and keep quiet about this."

 

A grin slowly spreads over your face, much to the lack of any measure of delight of Not-Cosetta. "I do have information: Professor Badcrumble is looking for Cosetta, in fact she asked me to find her and pass along the message that she's expecting her in her office."

 

Not-Cosetta's eyes widen a bit. "What, seriously? Where is the professor now, in her office?"

 

"No, she's in the Astrology classroom mulling over papers or something. I passed by and she asked me where Cosetta was, and asked me to pass along that message if I saw her. Apparently Cosetta wasn't in class today, hence why."

 

Not-Cosetta actually mulls it over for a second. "That's good information. So, you really want to help me?"

 

"One-up Cosetta Re? Heck yes."

 

Not-Cosetta finally smiles. "Okay, then go to the infirmary and pass along that message. Cosetta's there, you don't need to know why."

 

"Will do, but are you sure it'll fit your plans if she actually goes? Professor Badcrumble said not to worry about whether she's in her office when I passed along that message, her being the Astrology professor and all."

 

Not-Cosetta nods. "I'm sure. Cosetta...well, you'll see. Just pass that message along and lay low after that, that's all."

 

"Alright, will do."

 

You do exactly that, and a few hours later word spreads that Cosetta was reprimanded for breaking school conduct rules. That, naturally, she insists she didn't break. You're easily able to play the role of the innocent messenger, so all's well that ends well (for everyone except Cosetta).

--- +1 Intrigue, +2 Relationship with Sigalis ---

 

You can definitely sympathize, but your silence doesn't come free.

"You definitely make some good points, but my silence doesn't come free. It can come cheap for such a worthy goal, but not free. Business, you know, I'm sure you understand."

 

Not-Cosetta frowns, but not as much as before. "How much, than?"

 

"Normally I'd only trade information with information, but seeing your worthy cause I'll call it even at five Pims."

 

Not-Cosetta's frown lightens just a little. "Five Pims than, here they are. And if I hear anything from you about this mess you're going to be eating those Pims in ways that the Gods never intended."

 

"I don't think anyone intended for anyone to eat Pims in general."

 

Not-Cosetta shrugs. "Case in point. Now, please, if you have nothing else, leave."

 

"I do have something else, actually, a bit of information you might be interested in."

 

Not-Cosetta rolls her eyes. "How much?"

 

"This one is on me - Professor Badcrumble is looking for Cosetta. She wasn't in class today, and actually asked me to pass along a message that she's expecting her in her office. Mind, I'm sure she's expecting the real Cosetta."

 

Not-Cosetta eyes actually widen a bit. "Seriously? Where is the professor now?"

 

"The Astrology classroom, looking over some papers."

 

Not-Cosetta actually mulls the information over, even though you're not sure why it's important to her. "Alright, got it. And...thanks. You're less of a cow's backside than [Character]Character/Male/Selection/Reitz von Lutersee at this."

 

You nod and walk off, keeping a low profile for the rest of the day - long enough to hear a few hours later that Cosetta apparently got reprimanded for things she claims she didn't do. Well, you sadly don't know anything about that.

--- +1 Relationship with Sigalis, +1 Intrigue, +5 Pims ---

 

You don't care if it's against Cosetta or Ana, information is information.

"I hate to break it to you, but I don't especially care about Cosetta either which way. 75 Pims."

 

With clear hatred in her eyes Not-Cosetta hands you 75 Pims. "Now will you leave me alone!?"

 

"You won't see me for the rest of the day...well, probably. I don't know exactly who you are, but certainly I don't need to know either."

 

Not-Cosetta turns around, disgusted. You ticked her off, sure, but you also got a nice handful of Pims out of it, so you're not complaining.

--- +1 Intrigue, +75 Pims ---

 

Well, that was a nice failure. Time to leave.

"Your, eh, generous offer of not murdering me is accepted. Have a nice day, eh, Not-Cosetta." With one last glare Not-Cosetta sends you packing, and you keep your head low for the rest of the day. Not so low that you don't hear about Cosetta having been "unjustly" reprimanded, as she claims, but, well, you don't feel like sticking out your neck for her, so...yeah. Losses all around.

--- -1 Relationship with Sigalis, -1 Wit ---

 

The benefits/drawbacks of this event definitely need to be rebalanced, but, eh...yeah. Let me tell you, I did not think it possible to dislike Cosetta more than the average person does, but it is, in fact, possible. Yikes. And yes, all the required memories to make the flow of options work? Already coded in. I can't guarantee they work, but in theory, it should.

 

Random Event Student - Rixenda la Serena 3. Requires not being Rivals and a non-negative relationship:

 

On your way to the Great Hall you stumble upon something truly amazing. What used to be just an ordinary (if rarely used) hallway has been twisted, broken to pieces and randomly put back together until it achieved it's current form. Namely that of the largest piece of abstract art you've ever seen. Doors are sideways or upside-down (some even have two sets of hinges), the floor has random ledges sticking out at random points and the ceiling looks like something between an open roof and a staircase that appears to provide an alternate path to the treacherous floor-based landscape below. Well, if you're good at controlling gravity, at least. Standing in front of this mess is Rixenda la Serena, who appears to be entranced by the strange hallway. You walk up to her and ask what happen.

 

"I don't know. I was just going to get a snack, and...this. Just look at it. It's beautiful, in a strange way."

 

It's certainly impressive, but it's not constructive to you getting to the Great Hall anytime soon. What to do...

 

Interesting, but not interesting enough.

"I'll just go and fetch a professor before this...whatever this is infects the rest of the building. Want to come with or do you want to stay here and watch?"

 

"Oh, I'll watch it a little longer, I think. It's...enchanting."

 

You had no idea that Rixenda has a thing for abstract art. Than again, who knows what Rixenda has a thing for at any given point. Before long you run into Professor [instructor]Instructor/Selection of Instructor/Lisle Aventyrare and tell her of the strange hallway. She seems sceptical, but she says she'll check it out so that's no longer your problem. Now your problem is finding a different route to the Great Hall...

--- -1 Curiosity ---

 

Explore. You've climbed through worse. (Fitness/v3)

"Hey, Rixenda, you up for a little adventure?"

 

Rixenda looks at you a bit curiously. Not that her expression is difficult to see, it's difficult to tell what it's supposed to express. "Yes. This hallway is worth investigating. Will you take the lead?"

 

You nod and take a step forwards in the hallway. Immediately your progress is impeded by a random floor-pillar-thing that's far too high to climb up. "Going to need a hand here, Rixenda." With some teamwork you manage to climb up the pillar, and from there you give Rixenda a hand so she can climb up as well.

 

"What a perfect representation of the Lower City, I wonder if we keep going whether we'll run into the abstracted Academagia itself."

 

Per usual you have no idea what Rixenda is going on about, but you still politely nod as the two of you keep slowly working your way through the massive hallway. Some climbing, jumping, using the guardrail from the sideways staircase above you as monkey bars and a few more creative modes of transportation later you reach the end of the hallway. Sadly it's completely mundane beyond this point, but that does help you actually get to the Great Hall in time.

 

"A perfect representation of Mineta's class struggles from the viewpoint of the lower classes. I wonder if we'd taken the privileged path that we'd have seen it all from the perspective of the upper class."

 

You stare a bit curiously at Rixenda. "So what did the part where we had to use a triple-hinged door as a catapult to reach the staircase's make-shift monkey bar guardrail represent?"

 

"Clearly that was representative of the invitations send out by the Academagia itself."

 

"I don't recall mine catapulting me up to a guardrail, but whatever you say."

--- +1 Climb, +1 Relationship ---

 

"Hey, Rixenda, you up for a little adventure?"

 

Rixenda looks at you a bit curiously. Not that her expression is difficult to see, it's difficult to tell what it's supposed to express. "Yes. This hallway is worth investigating. Will you take the lead?" You nod and take a step forwards in the hallway. Immediately your progress is impeded by a random floor-pillar-thing that's far too high to climb up. A fact that you figure out through the tried and true method of trying to grab it and failing miserably. "Going to need a hand here, Rixenda.". With some teamwork (and a few failed attempts) you manage to climb up the pillar, and from there you give Rixenda a hand so she can climb up as well.

 

"What a perfect representation of the Lower City, I wonder if we keep going whether we'll run into the abstracted Academagia itself."

Per usual you have no idea what Rixenda is going on about, but you still politely nod as the two of you keep slowly working your way through the massive hallway. Some falling, barely grabbing ledges, using the guardrail from the sideways staircase above you as monkey bars and a few more creative variations of painful landings later you reach the end of the hallway. Thankfully it's completely mundane beyond this point, so you can actually get to the Great Hall in time. Assuming you make it there with all these bruises.

 

"A perfect representation of Mineta's class struggles from the viewpoint of the lower classes, particularly with your excellent re-enactment of their futile struggle. I wonder if we'd taken the privileged path that we'd have seen it all from the perspective of the upper class."

You stare a bit curiously at Rixenda. "So what did the part where we had to use a triple-hinged door as a catapult to reach the staircase's make-shift monkey bar guardrail represent?"

 

"Clearly that was representative of the invitations send out by the Academagia itself."

 

"I don't recall mine nearly breaking three fingers, an arm and a leg, but whatever you say."

--- +1 Relationship, -1 Climb, -1 Vitality ---

 

Voice. See if there's anyone inside the...whatever this is supposed to be. (Luck/v4)

"Hel-lo! Anyone around in there!?" Your question travels pretty far, and in the distance you see a sideways double-hinged door opening. In a way that doors were not supposed to open, although doors generally don't have two sets of hinges either.

 

"What's with all the racket? Is it time for that parent meeting already? If not I'm sure I told [instructor]Instructor/Selection of Instructor/Polisena Briardi I'd be there on time!". You can't see the person's face, but even so you and Rixenda share an odd look. There's only one person on campus who'd complain about a parent meeting and who'd refer to Regent [instructor]Instructor/Selection of Instructor/Polisena Briardi by her first name.

 

"Legate [instructor]Instructor/Selection of Instructor/Orso Orsi? What are you doing-heck, what is this hallway doing here!?", you shout in his general direction. The Legate levitates over to the two of you, easily bypassing what passes for a floor in this instance.

 

"Carefully inspecting this art project, of course. It took some effort to secure permission from the less open-minded faculty, but I managed with a promise to observe and grade it personally. And I take my job very serious I'll have you know.". The insincerity dripping from the Legate is almost forming a pool beneath him. You curiously stare at the absolute mess of a hallway, and turn back to the Legate.

 

"This is a student's art project!? Than what the hell do the teachers do on their off days, turn the Imperial Palace upside-down!?"

 

"No.", the Legate calmly answers with a smile on his face, "Although I do recall Professor Vickery once proposing quite the...unique design for a new garden. Sadly that wasn't approved. Not enough opportunity for guardrails, as I recall." You stare at the Legate, not sure how to respond to that.

 

"This is absolutely beautiful. Did the artists really intend to depict the class struggles so...aggressively, in an abstract form?"

 

The Legate shrugs, and you ask Rixenda what she's talking about. "Well, the hallway, of course.". You blink, confused.

 

"Not all people can truly understand art, [Character]Character/Self. Now, was there something you need? I do have very important work to do, after all."

 

You roll your eyes, knowing full well what the Legate actually means. "Nothing, though if you know a less 'art'ful and more straightforward path to the Great Hall that'd be nice."

--- +1 Art Appreciation ---

 

You yell for anyone to the point where you strain your voice a little, but to no result. "Quite a beautiful act there, [Character]Character/Self, a perfect rendition of the cries of the especially unfortunate shouting at the much-desired madness of our society. Have you ever considered joining a theater group?"

 

"Not at such...no." The words slowly come out a bit painfully, you really need to give your poor throat a rest.

 

"Well, you should consider it...though for now I think you you should maybe go to the Infirmary."

 

You shake your head, quite sure that you didn't strain yourself that badly, but you do turn around and leave, realizing that without a functional voice there's not a whole low you can do with Rixenda or this hallway.

--- -1 Vitality ---

 

Observation. Anything you missed? (Insight/v4)

You find it hard to believe that there's a hallway like this that apparently no one knows about. Taking a few steps back you actually notice a small sign that apparently you and Rixenda missed.

 

"WARNING: Special Vernin senior art project up ahead. Enter at own risk - Legate [instructor]Instructor/Selection of Instructor/Orso Orsi"

 

Must be one heck of a special art project to have the Legate sanction what this kid did to the hallway, although than again if anyone deserves special permission it'd clearly be this guy. Or girl, perhaps both if it's a group project. Well, that gives you some information, but does it give you any useful ideas?

--- Unlock below option, try again ---

 

You take a look around, but all you get for your efforts is the feeling that if you look around for much longer you'll end up with a headache. This hallway really does weird things to you when you stare at it for too long.

--- Try again ---

 

Art Appreciation. See if you can chat with these Vernin seniors. (Charm/v4)

It takes a bit of looking around, but you do eventually spot a group of three Vernin seniors, happily toiling away at a less twisted section of the hallway. One of the walks up to you while the others keep working. "Didn't you two see the sign, first years? Enter at your own risk, all that?"

 

"I did, actually, I just wanted to ask-"

 

"Did you intend for this hallway to represent class struggles in Mineta?"

 

You look at Rixenda, a bit annoyed that she interrupted you. She isn't paying you any heed, she has her eyes fixated on the senior.

 

"Not...especially? I'm not the brains of this operation, I'm one half of the muscle."

 

"And three quarters of the complaints!", one of the other three suddenly shouts.

 

"Only one fifth the smart...eh, unnecessary smart remarks, though."

 

The other student gives his friend a thumbs-up, apparently approving of the ratios. "Anyway, I don't know. What makes you think it is, though?"

 

"Isn't it obvious? Just look a the walls, the floor, the doors and especially the elevated staircase making twists and turns without ever breaking out of it's arbitrary cage above the floor. Oh, and the painted ceiling, that too."

 

The senior looks at Rixenda a bit confused. He then turns to you. "So...what did you want to ask?"

 

"Mostly just what inspired this, really. It's certainly art, whatever it is."

 

"I told you, it's a representation of Mineta's class system!"

 

"I heard you the first time, Rixenda, but I don't know if-"

 

"If the shapes and twists truly tell the story I wish for them to tell? Whether those elevated up from the toils of the dirt and streets know they are walking a treacherous path?" You take a look at the third senior, a girl who doesn't turn to face you.

 

"Exactly!", Rixenda excitedly says, "But why do the nobility have a guardrail? Isn't that odd?"

 

"Who's to say which side of life they walk on?"

 

"Oh, that's...that great, really great. Would you mind if I take a closer look around?"

 

The girl shakes her head, and the guy who walked up to you earlier turns to face you again. He looks as confused as you are. "So...you want to check it out yourself as well, or...?"

 

You shake your head. "No, I, eh, have...important school work to do and...stuff. Maybe I'll come back later, when I'm not so...busy." You cast a meaningful glance over at Rixenda, although she's already lost herself in the hallway, so she obviously didn't hear you.

 

"Good idea, just be careful."

--- +1 Creativity ---

 

A search that went on for longer than you intended later and you've not found the group (or individual, but you assume it's a group) responsible for this...well, this art. Sadly.

--- +1 Stress ---

 

Same as before with the benefits/drawbacks, but beyond that...I don't know.

Edited by Metis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Random Event Student - Prudence Cossins 3, requires non-negative relationship

Heading down a corridor near the Durand common room on your way to class, you happen to see Prudence Cossins leaning nonchalantly against a wall. The time being what it is you're both very nearly late but she doesn't seem to care. Shrugging to yourself you prepare to walk on by but as you do you hear the slightest scoff escape her lips.
You turn around quickly in irritation but she pretends not to have noticed you. After a little while this becomes extremely ridiculous as she pointedly looks away from you wherever you happen to be standing. Finally in exasperation you exclaim, "What?"
Prudence smiles an admittedly fairly cool smile and replies, "You know, I always thought you might be kind of alright. Being on time for class though... don't you have better things to do?"
"Like what?" you say.
"I dunno. Like... leaning on things. Folding your arms. Scoffing at nerds."
"Hey!"
"Prove me wrong [Character]Character/Self, lean with me."
And with that, Prudence slowly begins what is by any metric a slow and masterfully practiced lean. What will you do?
This is ridiculous. Learning, not leaning!
You don't need Prudence's approval. If she keeps this up she probably won't even be at the school for much longer, and then what she thinks of you won't matter one jot! Filled with a sense of moral superiority, you hurry on to class, and make it just in time.
--- -1 relationship Prudence ---
Composure. What the hey right? Give leaning a go. (Finesse/v3)
Leaning actually sounds pretty sweet. You square your shoulders up to the wall and tip backwards gently, executing a perfectly nonchalant lean.
"Nice," says Prudence approvingly.
You toss your hair and utter a single, "Heh."
It's a really good bonding experience, and you slip into class 15 minutes later in the middle of a practical demonstration, so no one even notices you were cutting class.
--- +1 relationship Prudence, +1 Compsure ---
Leaning actually sounds pretty sweet. You swagger up to the wall, going in shoulder first for a coveted side-lean. Your ambition has outstripped your talent however, and you actually end up falling over and smacking your face against the wall. It is intensely embarrassing.
Prudence ends up laughing so hard that she attracts the attention of a wandering Professor Storey, who decides to reprimand you both for cutting class. Oh well, at least you get to hang out with Prudence some more, even if it is in detention.
--- +1 relationship Prudence, -1 vitality, Reprimanded ---
Minetan Swagger. Why not be cool and go to class at the same time? (Insight/v4)

 

Prudence scoffs again. "Yeah, like that's gonna' happen."
"Think about it, Pru. No one can see you being cool here. It's wasted effort. Your form is good but you don't have the right direction. Imagine it, you and me, leaning back in our chairs and smirking, basking in the quiet, envious admiration of an entire classroom of students."
"That... does sound pretty good", she admits.
The two of you manage to get to class just in the nick of time, and even manage to learn a few things in between looking too cool for school.
--- +1 relationship Prudence, +1 Confidence ---
Prudence scoffs again. "Yeah, like that's gonna' happen."
"Think about it Pru, why lean on the wall here when you could be leaning against a wall in the classroom?"
"Uh, because I'd look weird and get told off immediately."
"Oh yeah. Hm."
Unable to convince her, you're forced to abandon Prudence to her slightly illicit activities. The whole experience leaves you a little shaken, maybe you're not as cool as you thought?
--- +1 stress ---
Field Medicine. Maybe you can convince her to stop for the sake of her health? (Charm/v4)

 

"Ha, well, being cool is one thing but crippling back injuries are another."
Prudence stops mid-lean, "You what?"
"I'm just saying, all the medical literature points to sustained leaning being really terrible for your back."
Prudence rolls her eyes. "Please. I'm not some ancient crone, I'm a kid. What do I have to worry about my back for?"
"That's just the thing! Bad posture as a child leads to deformities and other problems in later life. I mean, I know you want a nickname pretty bad but... Crooked Cossins?"
Prudence is forced to concede that this is not a very good nickname at all.
"So how do I not end up all bent over and stuff?"
"Come to class. Those horrible orthopedic chairs they make us sit in are great for our backs. I assume. I can't imagine why they'd make us sit in them otherwise."
Prudence agrees that this must surely be the only possible explanation for those chairs, and reluctantly agrees to come to class with you.
--- +1 Persuade ---
"Ha, well, being cool is one thing but uh... that wall sure is... dusty. You could get a cough. Maybe even some kind of lung condition."
The look Prudence gives you suggests that she thinks that you're the one with the condition, and that it isn't in your lungs.
"Oh wait, Bruises."
"Eh?"
"You'll bruise your shoulders."
"Is that the best you've got? Look, if you're too much of a goody-goody to hang out here with me just say so. This is getting sad."
You skulk off in embarassment.
--- +1 Stress ---
Architecture. Wait, what is she about to lean on here? (Investigation, unlocks Flawless Timing option, Intelligence/v3)

 

Oh no! This exact spot happens to be the trigger that opens a secret passageway! With stairs behind it! The calamity!
--- Unlocks Flawless Timing option ---
Oh no! It's a wall! Wait... what's wrong with that exactly?
Flawless Timing. Save her from the stairs! (Finesse/v4)

 

You heroicly dive into Prudence knocking her to the ground. Being the scrappy type, she doesn't take this lying down (even though, in a literal sense, she is lying down), and you get a bloody nose for your trouble. You eventually manage to get her to calm down though, and explain why you tackled her. All of a sudden she's extremely apologetic for hitting you, and thanks you profusely for saving her from a bad fall. She even gets out some rare healing salve she was saving, and fixes your busted nose.
--- +1 relationship Prudence, +1 wrestling ---
You heroicly dive into Prudence knocking her to the ground. Being the scrappy type, she doesn't take this lying down (even though, in a literal sense, she is lying down), and you get a bloody nose for your trouble. You try to explain but she isn't having any of it, and walks off in a huff.
--- -1 relationship Prudence, -1 vitalty ---

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Added, though a point to mention: Since the mod is based off of the 1.0.0. .amo I don't have DLC-added, well, anything that I can use. No adventure flags, no DLC students, and no DLC skills. As a result I can't code rolls to use DLC skills, and since I really don't like leaving holes in the code I'll substitute DLC skills with whatever I deem most appropriate. That's not to say using DLC skills is impossible, it's just something the Team will have to fix for me. And yes, I will keep a record of that...in the OP, let's say. I'll get to that in a second.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is actually pretty fun. I seem to end up writing the most mundane events imaginable, but whatever.

 

 

 

 

You're on your way through the halls when you spot a crowd of people gathered around one of the statues, arguing loudly. Today has been monstrously tedious and you decide that a little street theater is exactly the sort of thing to liven it up.
As you approach the conversation dies down somewhat, and you can see pretty plainly what has happened. Durand de Thiomines is standing next to the statue, which is broken by way of its head having fallen off. He looks very sheepish, almost like he might be about to start crying.
Durand is not the sort of person that would purposely vandalize a statue, or really do mischief of any kind, so this is extremely surprising to you. You ask one of the bystanders what actually happened.
"He was showing us a new spell he'd been researching, but I guess it went wrong because, well... pchoo."
Another of the lookie-loos gently pats Durand on the back. "You're in for it now old boy. I think that was literally even a statue of King Durand."
"What irony," says another student.
"That's not irony, it's a coincidence," says another. "Irony requires the subject to expose some vanity or folly of the human condition."
"It could be dramatic irony though. If we posit an observer to this action, some sort of reader say, then the incongruence between Durand's prideful attempt to live up to the ideals of his namesake by way of magical prowess and his subsequent destruction of the statue embodying the literal... personhood of King Durand, then this IS folly and it is absolutely ironic!"
"What observer? What reader? This isn't some story, it's real life."
"What about the gods?"
It goes on like this for some time. It quickly becomes apparent that the crowd is mostly made up of members of the literature club. This explains a lot.
Poor Durand is wibbling away in the corner though, and it's only a matter of time before a professor comes over. And knowing what a sap he can be, he'll probably confess right then and there.
He looks at you pleadingly.
Not your problem.
He broke the statue, he'll probably get punished. So what? Sound about right to you. You walk on by. Durand looks incredibly betrayed.
--- -1 relationship Durand ---
Revision. Help Durand by using magic to repair the statue. (Intelligence/v4)
Does anyone in this school other than you realise that magic exists and can be used to solve problems? It seems like it sometimes. You draw your wand and sketch out a quick set of phemes that set the statue's head firmly back on its shoulders.
"By all the gods, thank you friend," says Durand with an immense sigh of relief.
You suggest that he might want to confine his demonstrations to the outside in future.
He nods enthusiastically and then thinks for a moment.
"In fact, why don't I give you one now? I've been reading about this truly fascinating incantation in Altieri's History of the King of Rags."
You readily agree and get to see a very impressive piece of spellwork. He sets a tree on fire in the process, but no one notices.
--- +1 relationship Durand, +1 Incantation Spells ---
Does anyone in this school other than you realise that magic exists and can be used to solve problems? It seems like it sometimes. You draw your wand and sketch out a quick set of phemes that set the statue's head firmly back on its torso.
Unfortunately, it's torso is now also lying on the floor. Whoops. You grab Durand and run away as quickly as you can. Hopefully no one tells on you.
--- +1 stress ---
Engineering. Is there anything lying around you could use to fix it? (Intelligence/v4)
You notice that one of the students in the crowd has a bottle of Magical Glue sticking out of her pocket. You ask to borrow it and she obliges. It's a pretty simple job to apply the glue and stick the head back on. It looks (almost) as good as new!
"By all the gods, thank you friend," says Durand with an immense sigh of relief.
You suggest that he might want to confine his demonstrations to the outside in future.
He nods enthusiastically and then thinks for a moment.
"In fact, why don't I give you one now? I've been reading about this truly fascinating incantation in Altieri's History of the King of Rags."
You readily agree and get to see a very impressive piece of spellwork. He sets a tree on fire in the process, but no one notices.
--- +1 relationship Durand, +1 Incantation Spells ---
You notice that one of the students in the crowd has a bottle of Magical Glue sticking out of her pocket. You ask to borrow it and she obliges. It's a pretty simple job to apply the glue and stick the head back on. Unfortunately, you also manage to stick yourself to the statue's neck.
The crowd seems to find this pretty funny. When they're done laughing, they disperse, leaving you to your fate. Even Durand, though he hangs around longer than most, eventually slinks away with an apologetic look on his face. When Professor Briardi wanders along later that evening, you find yourself with a lot of explaining to do.
--- +1 stress ---
Escape Artist. Perhaps you can frame these annoying bystanders and escape with Durand? It'll be tricky though. (Finesse\v10)
A good number of the students in the crowd are from Aranaz, if you're careful, you can pin this on them and get away clean with Durand in tow. You stealthily shuffle around the group to the broken statue and using some ink you have handy write "Durand Sucks" on it behind your back with your finger. No one would believe that Durand would disparage his namesake like that.
The discussion of irony or whatever is coming to a close, but you need the crowd distracted and arguing among themselves.
"What about uh... the nature of truth?" you say, setting them off on another long, pointless tangent.
This accomplished you grab Durand and slip away. Being an upright sort of fellow Durand doesn't seem pleased by this deception, but he's at least glad not to be getting in trouble.
--- +1 Escape Artist ---
A good number of the students in the crowd are from Aranaz, if you're careful, you can pin this on them and get away clean with Durand in tow. You stealthily shuffle around the group to the broken statue and using some ink you have handy write "Durand Sucks" on it behind your back with your finger. No one would believe that Durand would disparage his namesake like that.
Unfortunately, you drop the bottle and it smashes on the floor, instantly drawing the attention of everyone there. They are less than pleased at your deception, and angrily chase you off.
--- +1 stress ---
Grammar. This argument is seriously getting on your nerves. Time to lay down the law. (Insight/v5)
You clear your throat. The group ignores you, immersed in their conversation. You clear your through again, this time with a minor glamour that makes your expectoration echo throughout the hall. They all turn to look at you.
"Yes, this is an ironic situation. But you all are ascribing a sort of literary quality to this event that simply does not exist. Where's the pathos? Durand is upset, but the rest of you are running your mouths in the most ridiculous way. Simply put, this situation is far too self-aware for the irony to be meaningful. Durand's capacity to reflect on his mistakes has been completely blunted by this absurd meta-commentary!"
"Aren't you doing the same thi-"
"Shush!"
The crowd goes quiet, suitably shamed by your masterful argument. Then one pipes up.
"I bet we could write a better one."
"A better what?" you reply in confusion.
"A better..." she waves her hands vagugely, "This. This situation."
The group immediately sets to work planning out how they SHOULD have reacted to finding out that Durand knocked the head off a statue. Durand is immensely confused but ultimately relieved when they decide that the best ending would be them helping him fix it.
"Thank you. I think" he says, wiping his eyes.
--- +1 Theatre, +1 relationship Durand ---
You clear your throat. The group ignores you, immersed in their conversation. You clear your through again, this time with a minor glamour that makes your expectoration echo throughout the hall. They all turn to look at you.
You suddenly realise that as much as you may have wanted to completely dismantle their arguments and leave them quivering before your magnificence, you're not actually sure what to say.
"Er," you begin, "well, think of it this way. Yes, Durand portrayed himself as a hero and turned out to be a villain but..."
"You're right!" yells one, "Boo Durand! Booooo! Let's turn him in!"
You try to object but the crowd has apparently made up its mind. You shoot Durand an apologetic look as he finally begins to cry.
--- -1 relationship Durand, +1 stress ---

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Added. And rest assured that the coding/formatting/spellchecking/etc aspect is less fun, but it works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One more (can you guess what my favourite house is?).

 

Random Adventure Student - Flore 3, requires you to be in Durand

 

 

 

 

A box of chocolates addressed to you. How... unexpected. How suspiciously unexpected. You glance around the Common Room, but no one is sneaking any glances your way. No one except Flore Yveuillet. Of course.
These chocolates probably have bugs for fillings. Or have been revised such that they explode in your mouth. Or are actually deadly poison. Well, maybe not that last one.
Just throw them away. You won't let her have the satisfaction.
You toss the chocolates into a trash can and get back to what you were doing. But they sit there, in the can, tempting you with their chocolatey potential goodness all night. Why must chocolate be so delicious? Curse you Flore!
--- +1 stress ---
Revision. Take the chocolates to your room and revise them into a horrible gift for her. (Intelligence/v4)
You slip away into your room and get out your wand, transmuting the probably evil chocolates into definitely evil flowers. You've left most of the properties of the chocolate intact, so the flowers will melt all over her stuff. That'll show her.
You even pen a quick note to reall sell that it came from an admirer rather than the person she was trying to prank.
"My dearest Flore, please accept this Flore-al gift as a show of my fond appreciation.
Attractedly yours,
A Secret Admirer
PS. Please display them on top of something expensive.
You leave them outside of Flore's door and wait.
Some hours later you find yourself in receipt of another gift. A large teddy bear who, when poked, appears to emit large clouds of pollen which make you sneeze ferociously. Playing the long game, eh Flore?
You try to think of a good counter. A cake with the properties of a bear should do nicely. One moment, she'll be tucking into her delicious new cake, the next BAM, unexpected claws and teeth and mauling. This is definitely something you can achieve with first year magic. Definitely.
You're cackling to yourself about the brilliance of your plan when you notice Flore standing in the doorway, trying to see what you're doing. Realising you've noticed her, she steps into the room.
"I... I just thought... you know. It's pretty cool how you're playing along like that. Most people just scream or whatever. Would you like to call a truce?"
"You're just scared of my incredibly deadly cake idea."
She grins.
"It IS pretty scary. You know, you're pretty good at revision..."
Turns out Flore can be pretty nice when she sets her mind to it, and hanging out with her turns out to be a lot of fun.
--- +1 relationship Flore, +1 theory of revision ---
You try transforming the chocolates, but they stubbornly resist your attentions. Maybe Flore made them resistant to further revision somehow? Or maybe you're just not as good as you thought.
--- close off option, choose again ---
Practical Jokes. Pass the chocolates on to someone else. (Charm/v4)
Hmm. What you need here is a test subject. You look around for a minute and settle on Sheary Warrington. He's nice enough that he'll probably not question your motives too much.
You doctor the note on the chocolates to read:
"Dear Shearry,
Please accept these chocolates, my love for you is as great as the Shearr-est mountain.
Yours,
A Secret Admirer"
Not your best pun, but you don't have much to work with here.
Anyway, you deliver the chocolates to Shearry, who accepts them gratefully. He is distinctly less grateful 2 minutes later when he realises he just ate a bug, but you feign complete ignorance of who this "Secret Admirer" actually is, and he believes you.
Flore comes over after, grinning widely.
"Nice deflection. You've got some moves."
--- +1 relationship Flore, +1 practical jokes ---
Hmm. What you need here is a test subject. You look around for a minute and settle on Sheary Warrington. He's nice enough that he'll probably not question your motives too much.
You doctor the note on the chocolates to read:
"Dear Shearry,
Please accept these chocolates, a symbol of my sinshearr(y) affection.
Yours,
A Secret Admirer"
Not your best pun, but you don't have much to work with here.
Anyway, you deliver the chocolates to Shearry, who accepts them gratefully. Until, that is, he reads the note. "Sinshearr(y)"? Really? That's horrible!
You agree that it is indeed a horrible pun, but that you are sure that his admirer tried their best and coming up with puns on the spot is hard okay, and also he should definitely eat the chocolate.
Your defensiveness puts him on guard, and he eyes you suspiciously.
"That's okay thanks, I'm not really hungry."
He dumps the presumably evil chocolates in the trash. Flore laughs at you from across the room.
--- +1 stress ---
Worldliness. Mmm. Bug chocolate. Delicious. (Fitness/v4)
Who cares if they're full of bugs? You're a wizard of the world, and many cultures consider bugs to be a delicacy. These are probably really delicious and great. Probably.
The first bite confirms that they are in fact full of bugs. You chew slowly, learning to savor the exoskeletal crunch that accompanies every mouthful. After a couple, you're actually kind of enjoying it. I mean, chocolate is chocolate, right?
Flore looks astonished.
"Are you don't want to stop eating those now?" she says.
You feign confusion, asking her why on earth you'd want to stop eating this delicious treat that some anonymous benefactor provided.
"Wow, you're hardcore," says Flore.
--- +1 relationship flore, +1 worldliness ---
Who cares if they're full of bugs? You're a wizard of the world, and many cultures consider bugs to be a delicacy. These are probably really delicious and great. Probably.
The first bite confirms that they are in fact full of bugs. You chew slowly, trying to eke enjoyment out of them, but you are really struggling to maintain the proper culturally relativistic mindset and pretty soon find yourself racing to the bathroom to be sick.
Flore cackles in triumph.
--- +1 stress ---

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Added. Had to make a few edits here and there, but I think it ended up working out all the same ;).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wrote a random event for Avila college, it involves Aaran. So.. no link for him in any of the text or benefit area. Also Alice's Tavern doesn't exist within 1.0.0.amo so that requirement can be removed.

 

Probably enchantment or revision or negation could also work, but my brain died and I couldn't find any non-incantation ingame spells that would work.

 

 

 

Required-
Avila college, Alice's Tavern
It was a quiet afternoon, the perfect end to a quiet day. Classes hadn't been too taxing. You hadn't run into any bullies, and nothing out of the ordinary had happened.
You had thought to spend the rest of your time enjoying a good book in the common room. [Cinzia] had other plans though. Having not thought to lie about your homework, she insisted you go with her and a few your other college mates.
And that is how [Cinzia], [Aaran], [Ana], and yourself ended up at Alice's Tavern for pie.
You couldn't help but feel uneasy about all this, neither Aaran or Ana could be described as lucky. Odd, dangerous things had a tendency of happening when the two were near one another. Often things occurred if either so much as sneezed. Having the two of them in once place, much less outside of school, seemed dangerous and ill-advised.
The four of you are among the only patrons in Alice's, which is a blessing as far as you are concerned. You are seated at a table next to a large window, and each of you soon have a large slice of pie and a mug of spiced tea.
"You two can't just avoid the city forever!" [Cinzia] states after finishing a bite of pie. "You have to broaden your perspectives!"
"With pie?" Aaran asks, jabbing his slice with a fork. Shooting him a glare, Ciniza continues. "Yes. With pie. And other things. Normal things. You can't be afraid the sky is going to come crashing down about your heads forever."
Ah, famous last words.
While the roof at least did not collapse, as one may have expected, it did begin to rain. Hard. The sky flashes white. Moments later a horrendous boom echos across the sky. The sound so loud that it causes your teeth to shake with its force.
Eyes wide Ana peers out the window, staring upwards at the torrential downpour. "It wasn't suppose to rain today." Aaran says as he wrings his hands together. "There were hardly any clouds when we left." Ana adds, her voice thick with worry.
Leave.
"I'm headed back, before the streets flood or something." You pull a few coins from your pouch and place it on the table. Without so much as a second glance you flee the tavern and make a mad dash into the deluge. Cinzia, Ana, and Aaraan can make their own way back.
--Decrease friendship with Cinzia, Ana, and Aaran. Decrease courage? Decrease Befriend?--
Exit event.
Temperance Continue Eating Pie.
Without so much as a second thought, you return to your delicious slice of pie. Today its sweet potato, topped with fresh cream. Mhmm, so good.
Cinzia for once follows your lead, and with some reluctance the other two join in as well.
--Increase Temperance--
Proceed to Pie 1A
Confidence Wait a while and see if the rain passes.
"The rain will calm down in a few minutes." You insist.
With some hesitation the group watches the rain, hoping that it stops soon.
--Increase Confidence--
Proceed to Pie 1A
Pie 1A
The rain continues though, showing no sign of slowing. The group by this point has had at least two slices of pie each, Cinzia had three, and everyone now comfortably full despite the circumstances.
Other than the unusual change in weather, nothing else has happened. The pie wasn't burnt, the tea didn't scold your tongue, there aren't even any large groups of flies intent on ruining your afternoon snack. Maybe Cinzia is right, and Aaran and Ana need to just let go of their fears and live a little?
Probably not, but it doesn't hurt to be optimistic.
Pushing your plate away, you lean back in your chair and stretch. "The pie was good today."
"It was." Ana agrees, nodding.
"I've never been here before.. but I liked it." Aaran adds before taking a sip of his spiced tea.
The group lapses into silence again, everyone's gaze drawn to the raging storm outside
.
"So.. Any ideas on how we're going to get back to the Academy? Preferably without looking liked we've drowned?" You ask to no one specifically.
"We could enchant some umbrellas?" Ana offers. "No, its too windy." Cinzia says with a shake of her head.
"What about trying to enchant our coats? Make them water-proof?" Aaran suggests. "I saw someone try that last month. His entire uniform turned purple and yellow. Cost him three demerits and detention." [Ana] says with a small sigh.
"We'd probably miss curfew even if we tried to out wait the rain.." Aaran says with a small moan.
"Its not like we won't dry?" You offer with a half smile. No one else seems convinced.
Standing, Cinzia pushes her chair in and begins to make her way towards the door. "If we're going to do this, we should probably just do it now."
You and the others join [Cinzia] under the overhang outside of Alice's Tavern. Stepping forward a bit, Cinzia turns to face everyone.
Incantation Cast Water Shield
Success-
Just as she begins to speak. "Actually I have an idea!" You declare, cutting Cinzia off. This earns you a glare. "Just trust me!"
Taking out your wand you draw the phemes necessary for the spell Water Shield, and step out into the rain. Within moments the rain begins collecting just above your head and then slowly forms a barrier around you.
With a sly grin you wave your classmates into your protective orb, and the four of you make your way back to the Academy.
--Increase relationship with Ciniza, Aaran, Ana. Increase Incantation spells, Increase confidence.--
Exit event.
Failure-
Just as she begins to speak. "Actually I have an idea!" You declare, cutting Cinzia off. This earns you a glare. "Just trust me!"
Taking out your wand you draw what you assume are the phemes necessary for your spell. Just as you've reached the second of the phemes a roof tile from the overhang slides off the roof and lands with a splash near your feet. With a start you jerk your wand the wrong direction and instead of the water forming a barrier the ground around you begins to change.
Within moments the cobblestones that line the sidewalk have been reduced to nearly knee deep mud.
With an exasperated moan the four of you begin your trek back to the Academy.
[Professor Badcrumble] is waiting for you, looking none to happy. You are not only very wet and muddy, but you also have earned demerits for damaging public property.
--Decrease relationship with Ciniza, Aaran, Ana. Decrease Incantation Spells. -3 merit for Avila.--
Exit event.
Everard Equation Do a reading [Requires you have the marat deck equiped]
Success-
Just as she begins to speak. "Actually, couldn't we just predict when the rain will end?" You inquire, cutting off Cinzia.
Ignoring her glare, you pull out your cards and shuffle them a few times. Aaran and Ana step a little closer, trying to get a better view as you pull a few of the cards from the deck.
A few minutes go by as you look over your cards. "Well?" Cinzia asks, crossing her arms. "If I've done this right. Which I probably have. The rain will disperse in a half hour or so." Cinzia frowns. "Thats long enough to have another slice of pie." Ana offers with a small smile.
And so the four of you have another round of pie, and as you predicted the rain comes to an end. Together you head back to the Academy.
--Increase relationship with Aaran and Ana. Increase Everard Equation.--
Exit event.
Failure-
Just as she begins to speak. "Actually, couldn't we just predict when the rain will end?" You inquire, cutting off Cinzia.
Ignoring her glare, you pull out your cards and shuffle them a few times. Aaran and Ana step a little closer, trying to get a better view as you pull a few of the cards from the deck.
A few minutes go by as you look over your cards. "Well?" Cinzia asks, crossing her arms. "If I've done this right. Which I probably have. The rain will disperse in about five hours or so." Cinzia frowns.
Aaran at this point speaks up. "I may have an idea." Taking out his wand, he draws a few quick phemes and steps into the rain. To everyone's surprise, even his own, the rain doesn't seem to even be touching him.
Not wanting to waste any more time he casts his spell again and the four of you make your way back to the dorms.
--Decrease relationship with Cinzia. Decrease Everard Equation.--
Exit event.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Events as far as I know can't work like a one-turn adventure, but some heavy editing later and I think I managed to piece it all together. Further I had to cut the budget on the relationship gains/losses, since again, I don't like holes in the code and there weren't any situations where Ana would gain/lose relationship but Aaran wouldn't. Cinzia, however, is a different story due to her whole "leadership" shtick. Maybe. I promise nothing.

 

Also, due to the 1.0.0 .amo I didn't have the flag of whether Ana is still cursed or not, so as coded that event will fire regardless. Still, I think I've done all I could. I'd check but there's a freaking record-breaking heatwave going on here and my brain is fried.

 

EDIT: Added a Revision exit for RE Avila 3. Hope it's a good one :rolleyes:.

Edited by Metis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another Contribution of my own, Random Event Student - Emilia S. 2 (requires mutual relationship of exactly 0, no friendship, not in Aranaz):

 

Walking through the Garden Gallery you notice a small, mousy student in Aranaz robes that you...vaguely recall seeing before. You don't remember her name, though.

 

She's sitting on a stone slab in a mostly isolated corner of the garden, reading and occasionally jotting something down in a book that has no distinct cover, but behind her there's a strange shape in the bushes looking over her shoulder. You can't make out what the shape is from here, but it certainly doesn't look like a tree. It could be something dangerous, it could also be the girl's Familiar. What to do?

 

This seems like a clear case of "not my problem".

You shrug and keep walking, leaving both the girl and the shape behind. It's probably not a monster that's going to eat her, anyway. Probably.

--- -1 Curiosity ---

 

Social Skills. Introduce yourself to the girl. (Charm/v4)

You get the impression that this girl isn't the most sociable of Aranaz students, but you're confident that you can introduce yourself without upsetting her. The shape standing behind her is another matter, but if it's something dangerous the girl might need your help fending it off and if it's not than how to deal with it is a bridge you'll cross if and when you get to it. Paying no attention to the shape you walk up to the girl, who looks up from her book when she hears you approach. A second later she closes it, before you get the chance to see it.

 

"Hello, I'm [Character]Character/Self of College [College]College/Character/Self. What's your name?"

 

The girl looks in your vague direction wearily for a bit, but after a moment her quiet voice says "[Character]Character/Female/Selection/Emilia Strolin...[College]College/Selection of College/Aranaz"

 

Definitely shy, so much so that it makes you wonder why she enrolled in Aranaz. More importantly, now that you're standing in front of her you're close enough to make out the shape in the trees behind her. Another first year student, who looks unsure about whether he or she (you can't tell) should run away or stay and hope he or she is able to stay hidden (at least from Emilia, hiding from you is a lost cause already). Putting that aside you address Emilia and say "Nice to meet you, Emilia. If you don't mind, can I ask what that book is?"

 

Emilia blushes a little and she holds the book close to her chest, apparently unwilling to share. You guess it's a diary of some sort. "It's fine if you don't want to share, I was just curious because the person standing behind you seems especially interested."

 

Emilia's eyes widen and she quickly whips her head around to look, and the shape realizes just as quickly that he (or she) has been had and tries to make a quick getaway. Still holding the book to her chest with one hand Emilia quickly draws her wand with the other and fires off a rather impressive hail of icicles, which shoot through the foliage and land several hits on the mysterious figure. He cries out in pain when a shard cuts right past his cheek and actually draws blood, but from what you can see most of the damage was done to his now shredded robe. That's going to take either magic or a sewing kit to fix.

 

"[Character]Character/Male/Selection/Lambert Cobo..." Emilia mutters under her breath. After a moment Emilia turns back to you, this time facing you more directly. "Thanks for the tip, [Character]Character/Self."

 

"You're welcome. That was a nice bit of Incantation, by the way. You should teach me that spell sometime."

 

Emilia nods and a bit hesitantly offers to show you how the spell it cast, and your calm demeanor manages to put her at ease.

--- +2 Relationship ---

 

You consider introducing yourself, but after taking one step towards the girl you remember the shape behind her. Thinking about it you can't be sure that the shape isn't the girl's friend trying to play a friendly prank or something, so there's a chance you might rudely interrupt something if you do introduce yourself now. You decide not to take that risk and resolve to introduce yourself later, if you can find her again.

--- -1 Character Study ---

 

Observation. Take a closer look at the girl. (Insight/v4)

Try as you might you just can't get a good enough look of the girl's face, but your efforts do get you a good look of the girl's neck. On which there is a small, white spider with rather llong legs, apparently practicing it's webspinning skills. You know it's rude to presume, but you're fairly certain the girl wouldn't allow that unless the spider was her Familiar.

 

In which case you can be reasonably certain that the shape standing behind the girl isn't.

--- Unlock below option, try again ---

 

You look the girl over a few times, but you simply don't recognize her. That you can't get a clear look of her face doesn't help, either.

--- Try Again ---

 

Glamour Methods. Shed some light on the shape. (Luck/v4)

Whatever that shape is it can't be good, so you draw your wand and cast Lantern of Many Hues aimed right above it. Now that there's more light you can make out the shape, it's actually [Character]Character/Male/Selection/Lambert Cobo! He's a bit confused as to where the light came from and is looking around for the source, in the process unfortunately missing the fact that the girl has noticed the light herself...and she's not pleased by what's standing under it. Before Lambert can do much more than realize he should be running away and turning around to do just that the girl has drawn her wand and sends a hail of icicles chasing after Lambert.

 

Lambert screams out in pain as several icicles shoot past his face, hand and legs, drawing blood in at least three separate locations, but he's not so wounded that he can't continue running away. Really, he'll be fine, he just needs to stop by the infirmary. And a weaver. His robe got shredded pretty badly there.

 

The girl glares in Lambert's direction until he's completely out of sight, and after that she turns to you. She looks like she wants to say something, but she's too shy to say it. You give her a few seconds, and with a voice so quiet you can barely hear it she slowly says "Thank you."

 

"You're welcome." You say with a smile and you turn around, waving the girl goodbye. It's not until a minute later that you realize you never did get the girl's name, but no matter. You think you'll recognize her if you see her again.

--- +1 Relationship, +1 Flawless Timing ---

 

Whatever that shape is it can't be good, so you draw your wand and cast a light-emitting spell aimed right above it. Only you completely miss your target, and instead of above the shape you manage to cast a spell right on the shape's face. Consequently you can't make out exactly who it is, only that it's a student wearing robes of College Durand. Figures, given that the girl is wearing Aranaz robes.

 

Speaking of, while the Durand student is flailing around uselessly in an attempt to draw his wand and dispel the magical lantern shining bright light straight into his eyes you see the girl draw her wand and douse the Durand student in a wave of, judging by his reaction, ice-cold water. The Durand student realizes that this isn't the time or place to try and cast a Negation while blinded and decides to turn around and run away. Only with the light shining in his eyes he can't actually see where he's going, so he runs head-first into a multitude of trees and low-hanging branches until he trips over a tree's root and, with quite the dramatic flourish, falls right into a fountain.

 

The girl laughs heartily to herself while looking at the Durand student stumble around like a twisted comedy routine, and to add insult to injury the noise and spectacle seems to have drawn the attention of a nearby professor. Professor [instructor]Instructor/Selection of Instructor/Sixt von Rupprecht, to be more precise.

 

"Well, well, what do we have here? An upstanding Durand student who seeks to join Academagia's acting troupe?" he says with a very large grin on his face. Whoever that Durand student is, you've just made his immediate future very, very miserable. Good thing he couldn't see who cast that botched light spell. "Well..." the professor jovially continues, "I suppose I shouldn't get in the way of a student chasing his dream, even if that dream is a bit of an odd one. Come along, lad, I'm sure Professor [instructor]Instructor/Selection of Instructor/Polisena Briardi will want to hear all about your ambitious aspirations!"

 

The Durand student is dragged away by Professor von Rupprecht, who, through the foliage, seems to direct a wink towards the girl...or, perhaps, to you. Either way it doesn't make you comfortable. You decide to leave before unfortunate questions can be asked.

--- -1 Confidence ---

 

 

These are the kinds of failures I can get behind...if I have to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And RE Student - Emilia S 3 (requires Blackmail >= 2 and not having the "A Crush on Emilia Strolin" memory - that's related to Emilia's student adventure, BTW):

 

Walking to a nearby fountain to grab a quick and much-needed drink you notice [Character]Character/Female/Selection/Emilia Strolin and [Character]Character/Male/Selection/Reitz von Lutersee sitting next to each other, covered in shadow under one of the arches. Judging from Emilia's expression you have to assume that whatever conversation they're having isn't friendly. Before either can see you you quickly sidle against the wall, close enough to overhear their conversation.

 

"...dirt on [Character]Character/Female/Selection/Rikildis von Kiep, than? You're in Aranaz, heck, you're in the girl's dorm. Surely a quiet little wallflower like you can peek over a dorm-mates' shoulder." Reitz sounds impatient, like he's been at this for much longer than he wanted to be.

 

"I told you I can't..." Emilia's voice, by contrast, is a high-pitched squeak that sounds pretty strained. She's not in a good position, and from the sound of it close to her breaking point.

 

"And I told you that it's either that or me letting slip that you have a crush on [Character]Character/Male/Selection/Sheary Warrington. I don't think your friends in Aranaz - the few that you have - will appreciate that."

 

Emilia doesn't have anything to say in response, although you think you hear her start sobbing. Either way that conversation is on an express airship to nowhere, so now seems like the time to act.

 

Walk away.

[Character]Character/Female/Selection/Emilia Strolin having a crush on [Character]Character/Male/Selection/Sheary Warrington? [Character]Character/Male/Selection/Reitz von Lutersee using that as blackmail to try and get dirt on [Character]Character/Female/Selection/Rikildis von Kiep? You...don't care. So you walk away, leaving the two none the wiser about who just overheard them.

--- -1 Ethics ---

 

There is something that Emilia's friend here doesn't appreciate, all right... (requires friendship with Emilia and not being friends with Reitz)

Hearing Emilia sob turns out to be your breaking point. With one eye already twitching you step out from you hiding spot and walk right up to Reitz, who looks you over with wide eyes. "Oh! Eh...[Character]Character/Self, was it? Now I know this might look bad, but rest assured that-"

 

You grab Reitz by his shirt, squeezing him hard enough to cut off whatever he was about to say. "Looked pretty bad to me. Now did you have something to say about Emilia's crush?"

 

"No. Nothing at all." Reitz wheezes out. You stare right into his eyes for a tense few seconds, and after coming to the conclusion that he's learned his lesson you let him go.

 

"I'll hold you to that."

 

Reitz runs away, not saying another word.

 

You cast a pitiful look at Emilia, upset as she is, and sit down next to her. She doesn't do much more than return a pitiable look before she literally cuddles up to you like a lost puppy. Whatever Reitz was planning it must have been really bad, because it's made Emilia really scared.

 

"S-sorry..." Emilia says, but you wave it off. "Not your fault at all, just calm down for a minute and tell me what happened."

 

Emilia doesn't wait, however, and as anxious as she is she's still surprisingly coherent. "I-I was just visiting College Durand to meet with Sheary. Thank him for his help with my Arithmetic project, but...I-I didn't know how to thank him. And in front of everyone there, staring at me because of my Aranaz robes, I..."

 

Again you wave it off. "It's fine, Emilia. Honestly I'm surprised you even went in the first place. I can understand you wanting to thank him, but couldn't it have waited until, I don't know, he was studying in the Venalicium? Some place more quiet and less open, I mean?"

 

Emilia blushes. "N-no..." You raise an eyebrow, and Emilia looks away. "I-I, I mean it's not what you...I..."

 

"Catch your breath, Emilia. I'm not going to condemn you whether you've got a crush on the guy or not."

 

Emilia does so, though she's still staring holes through her shoes. "It's not...the way he smiled when he helped me, I...I wasn't sure..."

 

"Whether he has a crush on you?"

 

Emilia nods. Looking at her she's visibly calmed down, so you guess you're on the right track.

 

"And that's why you had to 'thank' him immediately, to see how he'd respond?"

 

Emilia nods again, and with a quiet whisper she adds "And to see how I'd respond. He...has a really nice smile."

 

You smile to yourself as Emilia's already flushed face gets even more red. "Do you want me to find Sheary and send him somewhere?"

 

Emilia looks at you both surprised and shocked, but after she thinks about it she nods. "Please do. I...already know of a good location, in the Garden Gallery, so send him there."

 

You nod and stand up to look for Sheary while Emilia heads off herself to the Garden Gallery. "Hey, Emilia?"

 

"Huh? I mean, yes?"

 

"If you run into Reitz tell him that if he tries to blackmail you again I'll make sure that the next bit of information he'll sell will be his own obituary."

 

Emilia smiles, rather too innocently considering what you just told her. "Thanks. I will."

--- +2 Relationship with Emilia, -1 relationship with Reitz ---

 

Intimidation. Drive off Reitz. (Strength/v4)

You're far from a saint, but this goes beyond even your borders. With one eye already twitching you step out from you hiding spot and walk right up to Reitz, who looks surprised to see you to say the least. "...[Character]Character/Self? Do you mind if I ask you why you're interrupting important business-"

 

You grab Reitz by his shirt, squeezing him hard enough to cut off whatever he was about to say. "There is something that I mind, all right, and his name is [Character]Character/Male/Selection/Reitz von Lutersee trying to break Emila's heart. Does that ring a bell, perhaps?"

 

"Nope, never heard of him. Or Emilia. Not in my life." Reitz wheezes out. You stare right into his eyes for a tense few seconds, and after coming to the conclusion that he's learned his lesson you let him go. "I'll hold you to that."

 

Reitz runs away, not saying another word. Emilia looks up at you, both still upset and scared out of her wits. "Relax, Emilia, he's not going to bother you again. Are you feeling alright?"

 

Emilia stares at you a bit blankly, and while she doesn't say anything it's clear that she's still anxious.

 

"I thought as much. Come on, stand up. I'll bring you back to your dorm." You hold out your hand and Emilia carefully reaches out to grab it. Her grip is weak at first, but after a moment it feels like she doesn't want to let go. Her hand is shaking, and when she tries (and fails) to sputter out a word of thanks her face just gradually blushes more and more until she gives up and looks away embarrassed. You don't let it bother you, and take Emilia all the way to the Aranaz Common Room. You get a few strange looks, but no one dares make a point of it (particularly after seeing how you glare at them for staring).

 

In front of the common room Emilia again tries to sputter out a word of thanks, fails (again), and after slowly letting go of your hand she runs into the common room towards (you assume) the girl dorms. A few Aranaz students in the common room give you a weird look, but you just stare at them, showing clear disinterest, and walk away.

--- +2 relationship with Emilia, -1 relationship with Reitz, +1 Leadership ---

 

You're far from a saint, but this goes beyond even your borders. With one eye already twitching you step out from you hiding spot and walk right up to Reitz, who looks surprised to see you to say the least. "...[Character]Character/Self? Do you mind if I ask you why you're interrupting important business-"

 

You grab Reitz by his shirt, squeezing him hard enough to cut off whatever he was about to say. "There is something that I mind, all right, and his name is [Character]Character/Male/Selection/Reitz von Lutersee trying to break Emila's heart. Does that ring a bell, perhaps?"

 

Reitz glares at you, angry and not as intimidated as you'd like. He grabs one of your hands and forces it back, enough for him to breathe (and speak) properly. "Can't say that it does. Now leave me alone, captain of ineffective meddling. As sure as I am that it is completely beyond your kind to understand, I've got business to attend to."

 

Okay, he asked for it.

 

You throw Reitz to the ground, far enough away from Emilia so that she can run away. She does before Reitz can recover and swing his fist at you, which you respond to with a swift kick of the old foot. Reitz punches the wall and your foot only kicks up some dirt, but that's only the start of it.

 

The brawl with Reitz doesn't last too long, since a few more (mostly ineffective) punches and kicks later Professor [instructor]Instructor/Selection of Instructor/Kate Badcrumble shows up and freezes you both in place with a swift flick of her wand. There's a frown on her face and with tone of voice to match she barks out "[Character]Character/Self, [Character]Character/Male/Selection/Reitz von Lutersee, you both are hereby reprimanded for breach of school conduct. To my office, right now, both of you."

 

A few hours and a very tense bit of sitting in an angry professor's office later you're approached in the hallway by [Character]Character/Male/Selection/Sheary Warrington, who holds out a letter for you. "From [Character]Character/Female/Selection/Emilia Strolin. She didn't get the chance to thank you for your help earlier today, and, well, she couldn't bring herself to thank you personally. It's...a personal thing. Please, don't hold it against her." You say you won't and take the letter, after which Sheary quickly scampers off. Didn't Reitz mention something about Emilia having a crush on him, or something? And now he's delivering a letter for her? Ah, no matter. You open the letter and see it only contains one sentence.

 

"Thank you for earlier today, you have no idea how much it means to me - Emilia Strolin"

 

You smile to yourself. At least all that trouble was worth something, after all.

--- +2 Relationship with Emilia, -2 relationship with Reitz, Reprimanded by Kate Badcrumble, Reitz reprimanded by same ---

 

Spy. Offer to get dirt on someone on Emilia's behalf. (Luck/v3)

You step out of hiding and brazenly walk right up to Reitz. Needless to say, he's a bit confused. "Wha-? [Character]Character/Self? What?"

 

"You wanted dirt on someone?"

 

Reitz glares at you suspiciously, but distrustful as he is of you he quickly comes to the conclusion that there's little he stands to gain from lying terribly. "Yes, you could say that. Why?"

 

"If I get that dirt for you will you agree to leave Emilia alone?"

Reitz' expression changes a little, from suspicious to curious. He shifts his head to look at Emilia like she's yesterday's laundry, and turns back to you. "I can and I will, but what assurance do I have that I can trust you?"

 

"You don't, although you do have assurance that breaking Emilia's heart isn't going to make me any less likely to stab you in the back. Logically, if I didn't care for her feelings I wouldn't have revealed myself in the first place." You look at Emilia, who stares at you pitifully, and turn your attention back to Reitz, who's contemplating your offer.

 

Slowly Reitz says "There's truth in those words. Alright, get me some useful dirt on [Character]Character/Female/Selection/Rikildis von Kiep and I'll forget about Emilia's crush."

 

You nod and with Emilia giving you one more desperate look you head off towards where the school newspaper is written, edited and eventually published. Picking the lock on the door isn't a problem, and quickly rifling through a trash bin of rejected stories you find one that involves Rikildis personally. And not in a good way. You don't know if the story is true, but given that Rikildis had it tossed rather than running it and showing why the person who send in the tip it is a big, fat liar you're willing to bet there's more truth to it than Rikildis wanted to admit. So you return to where Reitz and Emilia are waiting, quite shortly after you left.

 

"Don't tell me you've given up." Reitz says as he sees you approach, but you hand him the slightly crumbled parchment. His eyes widen as he reads it. "Someone saw? Someone saw and that half-witted witch decided to toss that information in the trash!?"

 

You have no idea what Reitz is talking about, but whatever it is, it sounds personal. "Is that good enough for you?"

 

Reitz looks at you, pockets the piece of parchment and nods. "More than enough." He turns to Emilia and says "Emilia, you're off the hook forever. Hell, I'm sorry for pushing you so far. This just...argh, that Rikildis..."

 

Emilia doesn't look especially convinced, or forgiving for that matter. Nevertheless she asks "What are you talking about?"

 

Reitz shakes his head. "Ah, nothing. Forget it. I'm going to have to ask a few people a few questions. Later." Reitz walks off, looking more determined than you've ever seen him. Emilia slowly stands up and asks no one in particular "Seriously, what was he talking about?"

 

"I don't know, Emilia, but either way he's not going to bother you anymore. Heck, he even apologized...for what that's worth."

 

"Not much." Emilia says with a dark look on her face.

 

"Regardless, that's over and done with. Want to go grab something to drink in Alicia's Tavern? You look like you could use a pie."

 

Emilia looks at you a bit strangely for a second, but she nods. "Y-yeah, thanks. I could really use a pie right now."

--- +1 relationship with Emilia, +1 relationship with Reitz ---

 

You step out of hiding and brazenly walk right up to Reitz. Needless to say, he's a bit confused. "Wha-? [Character]Character/Self? What?"

 

"You wanted dirt on someone?"

 

Reitz glares at you suspiciously, but distrustful as he is of you he quickly comes to the conclusion that there's little he stands to gain from lying terribly. "Yes, you could say that. Why?"

 

"If I get that dirt for you will you agree to leave Emilia alone?"

 

Reitz' expression changes a little, from suspicious to curious. He shifts his head to look at Emilia like she's yesterday's laundry, and turns back to you. "I can and I will, but what assurance do I have that I can trust you?"

 

"You don't, although you do have assurance that breaking Emilia's heart isn't going to make me any less likely to stab you in the back. Logically, if I didn't care for her feelings I wouldn't have revealed myself in the first place." You look at Emilia, who stares at you pitifully, and turn your attention back to Reitz, who's contemplating your offer.

 

Slowly Reitz says "There's truth in those words. Alright, get me some useful dirt on [Character]Character/Female/Selection/Rikildis von Kiep and I'll forget about Emilia's crush."

 

You nod and with Emilia giving you one more desperate look you head off towards where the school newspaper is written, edited and eventually published. Picking the lock on the door isn't a problem, and quickly rifling through a trash bin of rejected stories you find nothing of interest. You do, however, find Rikildis breathing down your neck.

 

"So, any good explanation for why you're rifling through my trash?"

 

"None I'm willing to share."

 

Rikildis stares at you almost like she's bored. You can't imagine why. "Okay, whatever. So are you here on Reitz' behalf or not?"

 

The fact that she's able to guess that you're randomly here, rifling through her trash, because of Reitz gives you the distinct impression that no matter what you say you're not going to be able to lie your way out of this one. And really, if you were so good at this whole "spying" thing you probably wouldn't have gotten caught in the first place anyway. "Does it matter to you?"

 

Rikildis sighs. She's definitely bored. "No, not really, but I imagine it does for you. You're trying to do Reitz a favor so he doesn't go spreading around whatever stupid thing you did recently, right?"

 

"Sort of, I'm trying to cover for Emilia."

 

Rikildis rolls her eyes. "Either which way, take this and tell Reitz that you found it here." Rikildis tosses you a crumbled envelope with a broken seal. It's empty.

 

"What's this?" you ask as you look it over.

 

"He'll know. it should get Reitz off your back. Oh, sorry, off Emilia's back. That silly kid will do the rest himself, no need to worry."

 

"And if it doesn't?"

 

Rikildis rolls her eyes again and lets out a heavy sigh, like you're straining her patience. "Your problem. Now go, run along. I've got stuff to do."

 

You do as Rikildis suggested and hand Reitz the envelope. He begrudgingly accepts it and agrees to drop the matter of Emilia's crush, although you're not sure if that will last. You don't know how much, if at all, Rikildis can be trusted, but you're absolutely certain that whatever that envelope means to him it'll lead him into a trap. You don't tell him that, though. You do offer to take Emilia into Mineta as a way to calm her down after the whole ordeal, and she immediately asks if you've got a reason to avoid Reitz for a while.

 

"I cannot deny the possibility." you reluctantly admit.

 

Emilia rolls her eyes. "Good enough, honestly I don't want to stick around and see what happens. Whatever happens. Let's go."

--- -1 Intrigue ---

 

Character Study. What is up with Reitz? (Insight/v4)

Reitz sounds far more than just impatient, come to think of it. He sounds almost...desperate. Is there some reason why he needs to force Emilia's hands with this?

--- Unlock below option, try again ---

 

As far as you can tell Reitz is just extremely impatient right now. This little discussion must have been going on for a while...

--- Try again ---

 

Blackmail. One-up Reitz at his own game. (Intelligence/v3)

You don't really know why [Character]Character/Male/Selection/Reitz von Lutersee is putting so much pressure on [Character]Character/Female/Selection/Emilia Strolin, or why he's willing to forget about that in return for dirt on [Character]Character/Female/Selection/Rikildis von Kiep, but you're pretty sure that Rikildis herself would be very interested in hearing about it. Slowly you sneak closer to the two, until you're literally standing next to them in the shadows. Naturally Reitz sees you, but that's what you wanted anyway.

 

"W-what? I-I mean, [Character]Character/Self? What are you-how long have you been standing there!?"

 

With a superior smirk you ask "What, you don't know? I guess you're not as observant as you thought."

 

Reitz glares at you with undisguised hatred in his eyes, confirming once again that whatever is going on with him it's something, and something big at that. Emilia looks up at you pitiably, not sure whether you're here to help her or not. Thankfully for her you are (if only indirectly). "So, Reitz, care to share why you need dirt on Rikildis so badly?"

 

A little too quickly Reitz barks out "Are you crazy!? My business is my own, [Character]Character/Self. Leave me alone!"

 

You shake your head slowly. "Oh, but that wouldn't do, now would it? If I leave you to your business of abusing information - not to mention poor Emilia's feelings - without abusing my information and your feelings that simply wouldn't be fair, now would it?"

 

"Since when do you care about being fair!?"

 

You stare right into Reitz' eyes. "Ever since you put so much pressure on a girl with a crush that you made her cry." Speaking of, it looks like Emilia is actively holding back tears. And it looks like it's a losing battle for her.

 

"Get out of my face, oh valiant knight and protector of...I don't even care, just get lost!"

 

"If you want me to head straight to Rikildis and inform her of whatever mistakes you've made I'd be more than happy to."

 

Reitz glares at you with the most malicious expression you've ever seen on him, but you don't budge. After what must have been the longest minute of Emilia's life Reitz sighs and says "Okay, fine. What do you want?"

 

"For you to leave Emilia alone and forget about her crush. You wand dirt on Rikildis? You get it yourself."

 

"Or else?"

 

"Rikildis hears everything about your oh-so desperate need to have something to hold over her head."

 

Reitz again glares at you, but again you don't budge. Another tense minute later he stands up. "Fine, have fun with Emilia. I've got work to do." Reitz stomps off, not bothering to look back once. You look at Emilia, and she slowly stands up herself. She's let a few tears show, but it looks like the worst has already passed. You offer some comfort and take her back to the Aranaz common room before going back to your own business.

--- +2 relationship with Emilia, -1 relationship with Reitz, +1 Intimidation ---

 

You don't really know why [Character]Character/Male/Selection/Reitz von Lutersee is putting so much pressure on [Character]Character/Female/Selection/Emilia Strolin, or why he's willing to forget about that in return for dirt on [Character]Character/Female/Selection/Rikildis von Kiep, but you're pretty sure that Rikildis herself would be very interested in hearing about it. Slowly you sneak closer to the two, until you're literally standing next to them in the shadows. Naturally Reitz sees you, but that's what you wanted anyway.

 

"W-what? I-I mean, ? What are you-how long have you been standing there!?"

 

With a superior smirk you ask "What, you don't know? I guess you're not as observant as you thought."

 

Suddenly a voice behinds you says "I could tell you the same thing, [Character]Character/Self."

 

You turn around and are surprised to see [Character]Character/Female/Selection/Basia Rydz standing behind you. "How long have you been standing there?" you ask a bit more surprised than you intended.

 

Basia smiles. "Long enough, I'd say. Now, should I start with you, Reitz or Emilia?"

 

You look at Reitz and Emilia, honestly wondering who she should start with. And seeing Emilia's pale, close to tear-soaked face you figure she could use some good news. "Me, please."

 

Basia looks confused for a second, but after that she shrugs it off. "Sure, if you want. So, [Character]Character/Self, care to tell me what you were planning to blackmail Reitz over?"

 

You hesitate for a bit while you ponder whether or not to trust Baisa, but ultimately you conclude that you weren't intending to do anything wrong. Well, too wrong, at least. "I was going to blackmail Reitz off of Emilia's back - he's clearly desperate for information, so I was going to hold that over his head."

 

"Thanks a bunch, [Character]Character/Self." Reitz says with all the sincerity you'd expect.

 

Basia's smile widens. "So you weren't planning on blackmailing Emilia in turn?" You shake your head, and Basia nods to herself. "Very well, in that case let's just go down the list. Reitz, care to share why you so desperately need information about Rikildis?"

 

Reitz stares at Basia dumbfounded. "Why in Octavius' name would I just volunteer that information to you?"

 

"Because otherwise I'll just get that question answered by Rikildis herself. I'm sure she'll have something very interesting to say about it."

 

Reitz weighs his options, and realized that he's got no way out. "I have nothing to say on that, it's a private matter."

 

Basia's wide smile turns into a very wicked grin. "Very well, in that case I suppose I'll hear from - or about - you later." She turns to face Emilia. "And lastly that brings us to Emilia Strolin. Got a good grade on your latest Arithmetic project?"

 

Emilia stares at Basia a bit strangely, and a bit confused she nods.

 

"What!? Is that all you're going to grill her on!?" Reitz suddenly blurts out.

 

"Unlike you," Basia slowly says with a very superior attitude, "I don't need to be so direct and so...crude with my questions. It's just faster, sometimes."

 

Emilia shivers, and Basia addresses her again. "No need to worry, Emilia. I'm well aware of Sheary's charms."

 

Suddenly another mysterious voice rings out. "Aha! So does that mean you have a crush on Sheary as well!?"

 

You, Reitz, Emilia and Basia all turn around and see [Character]Character/Male/Selection/Lambert Cobo jump off the top of the arch, landing with a bit less grace than he probably would have wanted. Before giving any of you a chance to respond he practically yells "So you were spying on [Character]Character/Female/Selection/Emilia Strolin after Sheary helped her with her homework because you have a crush on Sheary and you see Emilia as a rival for his affections, do you? Well, rest assured that Sheary is going to hear all about your underhanded ways of trying to get rid of his true love! Just try to stop me this time, Aranaz!", and with that he runs off faster than any of you could have drawn a wand and thrown a spell his way. Clearly he magically augmented his running speed, somehow.

 

"What in Orsi's name was that guy...me trying to get rid of...huh? I don't even..." Basia is completely flustered and unable to form a proper sentence, though not from embarrassment. Rather, from exposure to Lambert's undisguised...stupidity.

 

"Does everyone in this Gods-forsaken school know where I blackmail other students!?" Reitz yells in anger.

 

Suddenly something in the fountain shifts as a reed you didn't notice before lifts up and a thoroughly drenched [Character]Character/Male/Selection/Aymeri Couer climbs out from inside the fountain with no warning. Without even bothering to acknowledge any of you he runs off in the same direction as Lambert, shouting something about "being one step ahead of you this time, Cobo!"

 

Reitz stares at the now empty fountain with an expression that you're pretty sure is going to break something in his face if he holds it for too long. He stands up without his face changing expression even a little, yells "Oh, whatever! Forget it already!", and he stomps off. Basia, meanwhile, stares at the very noticeable trail that the drenched Aymeri left behind and shrugs to herself. "I don't even want to imagine what those two are going to do. Poor Sheary, he may be a Durand student but I know he doesn't deserve this." Basia turns to you and asks "Anything you have left to add, [Character]Character/Self?"

 

You slowly, and wordlessly, shake your head.

 

"Alright, in that case I'll take my leave. You'll hear from me if I need a credible witness to corroborate this story for me, [Character]Character/Self." You slowly nod, and watch silently as Basia walks off. After a minute of awkward silence you turn to look at Emilia, who looks a bit traumatized by the spectacle. "Hey, Emilia?" you ask.

 

"Yeah?"

 

"How about the two of us go visit a nice restaurant in Mineta until this all blows over and work on forgetting this ever happened?"

 

Emilia stands up and nods. Her usual shyness has been replaced with a minor state of shock, and you honestly don't blame her. As promised you take her out on an extended trip through Mineta, and circumstances aside you do at least end up enjoying the time you spend together.

--- -1 Observation, -1 relationship with Reitz, +1 relationship with Emilia ---

 

I may have gone a bit too far with that failure parade there, but I don't care. It had to be done. I regret nothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another contribution of mine...although I'm not sure if I updated the modtools file on dropbox with it yet. If not I'll update it soon...soon-ish. Probably. Fixed a few typos as well. Anyway, Random Event Student - Jere 2:

 

It's the break period between classes, and somehow you've ended up sharing a table with several Durand students. [Character]Character/Male/Selection/Durand de Thiomines and [Character]Character/Female/Selection/Honors Plafox, along with yourself, are thoroughly enjoying [Character]Character/Male/Selection/Jere Niemela's hilarious impersonations of Professor [instructor]Instructor/Selection of Instructor/Tarvixio Sido going a bit overboard with his wild stories.

 

"And then - then, I tell you - did the pirates decide to try and land their ship in the middle of the field! Now I course I was completely prepared for them, but oh, the tragedy of that poor field! That farmer wasn't happy about his corn, and with a rake he beat the pirates all the way back to Meril!"

 

After another round of laughter Honors asks "Wait, how did those pirates mess up a field of corn by landing an airship?"

 

"Dropping anchor, obviously." Durand notes.

 

"Yeah, I guess that'd do it." Honors admits.

 

Jere seems ready to continue, but do you have anything to add?

 

Nope, enjoy the free show.

You stay quiet and Jere shifts into a masterful impression of Professor [instructor]Instructor/Selection of Instructor/William Vickery tending to his guardens, only for someone to carelessly run through them. And through masterful articulation Jere is able to perfectly convay the professor's rage withough disturbing the other people in the Great Hall.

 

It's just the distraction you needed to take your mind of how stressful life in the Academagia has been lately.

--- -1 Stress ---

 

Compliment Jere's mimicry skills.

"Those are really good mimicries, Jere."

 

Jere breaks character for a second to thank you, and then starts mimicking Professor [instructor]Instructor/Selection of Instructor/William Vickery's legendary rage when someone tramples his gardens. It's so accurate it's scary, but that makes it all the more humorous.

--- +1 relationship with Jere ---

 

"What would Professor Chastellain have done in that situation?"

Honors has to supress a fit of laughter just thinking about that question, but Jere remains calm and has an answer ready. Gloriously mocking Professor [instructor]Instructor/Selection of Instructor/Rieulle Chastellain Jere goes into another spiel which nearly sends you laughing off your seat, made even worse by the fact that the professor really would have dramatically swung ino the fray riding the anchor!

--- +1 Storytelling ---

 

Nothing special, but after two failed attempts at an event involving Lambert Cobo and an author from Pievre known for opposing the Gates ban preaching his (somewhat edited) word in Mineta I wanted something that worked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And another one! Random Event Student - Vuillaume 2:

 

Right after classes end you find yourself "quickly" delivering a large box of uninteresting alchemical stuff to one of the alchemy classrooms, per Professor [instructor]Instructor/Selection of Instructor/Matain Leith's request. Sure, you'd rather not, but it seemed like a good chance to leave a good impression. Besides, you were going this directions anyway.

 

But now that you've opened the door you wish you hadn't stepped even a single step in this room's general direction.

 

Inside the room is [Character]Character/Female/Selection/Vuillaume Eparvier, cheerfully mixing up a vial of some sort, while behind her a gigantic cauldron is being heated by some sort of magical fire. When Vuillaume hears you enter she turns her head towards the door and sets the vials down inside a rack. "[Character]Character/Self, finally, I've been waiting for that! Actually, I've been waiting for Professor Leith. Did he send you here?"

 

You slowly nod, terrified of the aura of impending doom that seems to hang in this room.

 

"Excellent, just drop the crate right there." Vuillaume points to an empty space next to her, and with some reservations you put down the crate. Vuillaume easily cracks it over with a flick of her wand and takes out a small box inside the crate. "Now we can see if I did this right, finally."

 

"Mixed what right?" you hesitantly ask.

 

Vuillaume points to the gigantic cauldron behind her, and while you stare wide-eyed at the monstrosity Vuillaume takes what looks like a small clump of salt out of the small box, mixes it with the vial near her, and less than ten seconds later she's left with a vial containing a strange, glowing liquid.

 

"What's that?" you ask, pointing at the vial in Vuillaume's hand.

 

"The catalyst for the brew in the cauldron. I just need to grab a chair first. This cauldron may be large enough but it's a pain to put stuff into."

 

Paying you no heed Vuillaume walks to the back of the room, where all the chairs have been temporarily moved to, which gives you a few seconds to act. But what will you do?

 

Vuillaume couldn't possibly detonate the entire room...right?

Be it morbid curiosity or a subconscious deathwish, you stand around and wait for [Character]Character/Female/Selection/Vuillaume Eparvier to grab a chair and position herself above the cauldron. "You sure you want to stay here, [Character]Character/Self?"

 

Not really, but Vuillaume is now standing close enough to the cauldron to touch whatever is cooking inside. Surely this can't go catastrophically wrong...right? Vuillaume shrugs, and cheerfully adds the vial to the cauldron.

 

You wake up an hour later in the infirmary, unable to remember what happened, and strangely enough you're completely orange. Hair, clothes, skin, even your fingernails are completely orange. Vuillaume is standing next to you, and she too has caught a bad case of orange. For whatever reason she gives you two happy thumbs up. "Excellent job testing my brew, [Character]Character/Self. I need to work on the specifics a little, but other than that it worked perfectly!"

 

You sceptically look over the Vuillaume-shaped blob of orange...orange that's standing next to you, and with a bit of a sarcastic tone ask "Are you sure of that?"

 

"Positive! Just think of how much easier it will be to paint rooms when all you need is a large cauldron and some basic ingredients! Do you have any idea how difficult it is to achieve a uniform paint job with a regular brush? Heck, most of what I used was just plain old water, too!"

 

"I suppose, but it would appear that your brew has a few...flaws with it."

 

Vuillaume shrugs. "Nonsense...well, okay, I guess I forgot to account for windows, but that's an easy fix."

 

You blankly stare at Vuillaume while your brain attempts to process this information. It's a more difficult task than you'd think. "Eh, Vuillaume? What about the other flaw? You know...you? I mean, I don't think you quite intended to look so...orange."

 

Vuillaume waves it off. "Oh, please. Obviously people would use magic to apply the catalyst from a safe distance."

 

"Can I ask why you didn't this time?"

 

"To study the effects of the brew up close, obviously."

 

Just as you're about to question Vuillaume's methods Professor [instructor]Instructor/Selection of Instructor/Polisena Briardi walks into the infirmary, flanked by a nurse. "So...what in Octavius' good name did you two do?"

 

Vuillaume, for some reason sounding pretty pleased with herself, pipes up. "Test my new magical painting brew. Care for a fresh new office look, Professor? I guarantee it's both easy to use and more effective than a regular paintbrush."

 

Professor Briardi stares sceptically at Vuillaume, but she doesn't let it bother her. "I promise! Sure, I've got a few kinks to work out first, but other than that it'll work perfectly!"

 

"I...am sure it will, but if I wanted my office repainted I'd just use my wand."

 

Vuillaume shrugs, and the professor turns her attention towards you. "I'll have that color removed in a second, just sit still for a second." Lesson learned - never stand around Vuillaume and a cauldron.

--- -1 confidence ---

 

Run! Run for dear life!

Panic takes over and you run out of the room, into the hallway and as far away from the impending doom as your legs can take you. You imagine that [Character]Character/Female/Selection/Vuillaume Eparvier is probably not happy with your lack of confidence in her ability to not detonate things she's looming over, but as far as you're concerned that lack of confidence is well-earned!

--- -1 relationship ---

 

Brew. Is what is in the cauldron safe? (Intelligence/v3)

You ask [Character]Character/Female/Selection/Vuillaume Eparvier to wait and inspect the brew personally. And you're glad you did, because mixing in what Vuillaume called a "catalyst" with this brew would just make the entire thing explode violently! You point this out to Vuillaume, and she lets out a large sigh. "[Character]Character/Self, I know this is going to explode. That's the entire point."

 

You stare blankly at Vuillaume, not sure how to respond to that. Thankfully after a moment she speaks up herself. "I got tired of being the girl that just blows everything up, so I decided to try and work on something that actually utilizes the power of an explosion. And that research has lead me to this brew, which will repaint this room for me ."

 

"...By exploding?" you ask, almost at a loss for words.

 

Vuillaume shrugs. "It's a homework project. I figured I should stick close to my strengths at least a little if I want to get a passing grade."

 

You point to the cauldron, almost unable to process this information. "But with the way stuff in the cauldron is mixed right now it'll primarily blow up rather than in every

direction! Do you want a uniform paint job or do you want to paint a hole through the ceiling?

 

"Vuillaume frowns. "Really? I'm sure I mixed everything correctly."

 

You shake your head. "Check again, there's way too much explosive chemical mixed in relative to the amount of paint. I get that you have to compensate for the thickness of paint compared to the water-esque liquid you usually work with, but this is just too much!"

 

Vuillaume puts the catalyst back on the rack and checks the brew. Her eyes widen when she realizes you're right. "What!? I did not-I'm sure I mixed it right! I double-checked everything, even!"

 

"Either way you'll have to fix it, somehow, but I don't know how other than to...wait...a..."

 

You walk up to one of the trash bins in the room, next to which stands the empty canister of paint that Vuillaume uses for her brew. And checking a bit that's spilled on the side...it's not just paint. It's been mixed with explosive chemical. Vuillaume walks up to you, and notices as well. "I...I didn't do that. I added in the paint after the explosive chemical, it shouldn't have gotten mixed at all..."

 

"So...who or what did?"

 

You and Vuillaume both share an odd look as Vuillaume's features slowly become more animated...and angry. "[Character]Character/Male/Selection/Rui da Casga! He must have been the one that did this! He used this alchemy room before I did!"

 

Just as Vuillaume begins to storm out to give Rui a piece of her mind you stop her. "What!?" she asks, clearly angry.

 

"Did Rui set you up, or did he put together his own prank here?"

 

The flare in Vuillaume's eyes slowly dim, and almost as soon as it appeared, it flickers out. "No...he set up his own prank. That canister was already open when I got here, not to mention here before I got here. I wasn't really planning to use orange paint, even, it just...there was just enough left and no one seemed to need it, so not using it before it dried seemed like such a waste..."

 

That's certainly interesting information...but what to do with it?

--- unlock last three options, lock all others ---

 

You ask [Character]Character/Female/Selection/Vuillaume Eparvier to wait, and personally inspect the brew inside the cauldron up close. And upon closer inspection it appears to be...orange juice? No, something a little more...exotic than orange juice, and it's clearly mixed with something else as well. Ah, yes, of course, now you can see what this is. It's a giant batch of orange-flavored pie mix. Pretty strange choice of topping, but oh well. Whatever suits your fancy, you suppose.

 

...Thinking about it, it does suit your fancy. You could go for some pie.

--- unlock below options, lock all others ---

 

Pie! Not just pie, even - magic cauldron pie! What could possibly go wrong? (secret Luck/Pure Luck v10)

"Are you done?" [Character]Character/Female/Selection/Vuillaume Eparvier asks, impatiently. You nod, stand back and gives a thumbs up, which is Vuillaume's cue to drop in the catalyst.

 

You wake up an hour later in the infirmary, unable to remember what happened, and strangely enough you're completely orange. Hair, clothes, skin, even your fingernails are completely orange. Vuillaume is standing next to you, and she too has caught a bad case of orange. For whatever reason she gives you two happy thumbs up. "Excellent job helping me with my brew, [Character]Character/Self. I need to work on the specifics a little, but other than that it worked perfectly! And you thought it was going to explode in your face, come on. Have a little more faith in me."

 

You sceptically look over the Vuillaume-shaped blob of orange...orange that's standing next to you, and with a bit of a sarcastic tone ask "Are you sure that mix worked?"

 

"Positive! Just think of how much easier it will be to paint rooms when all you need is a large cauldron and some basic ingredients! Do you have any idea how difficult it is to achieve a uniform paint job with a regular brush? Heck, most of what I used was just plain old water, too!"

 

"...Paint? With orange-flavored pie mix?"

 

Vuillaume stares at you curiously. "What? Pie mix? What made you think I'd paint a room with pie mix? And orange pie mix, at that. Still, that does give me an idea..."

Y

ou blankly stare at Vuillaume while your brain attempts to process this information. It's a more difficult task than you'd think. "Eh, Vuillaume? About the other flaw of that first brew? You know...you? I mean, I don't think you quite intended to look so...orange."

 

Vuillaume rolls her eyes. "Yeah, I already said I got a few things to work out. Besides, obviously people would use magic to apply the catalyst from a safe distance when they weren't experimenting."

 

"With the paint or the pie mix?"

 

"Eh, could be both, really."

 

Just as you're about to question Vuillaume's methods Professor [instructor]Instructor/Selection of Instructor/Matain Leith walks into the infirmary, flanked by a nurse. "So, Vuillaume, I heard that your homework project was a bit of a failure?"

 

Vuillaume takes a defensive stance, although what she intends to prove at this point escapes you. "No, my brew most certainly didn't fail...it has a few kinks, sure, but it most certainly didn't fail."

 

"It blew a hole straight through the now thoroughly orange ceiling." Professor Leith calmly says. Vuillaume hangs her head, and staring holes through her shoes she quietly says "I swear I didn't fail." You consider speaking up, but before you can decide the professor ends up saying "Yes, you didn't, actually. I know you didn't."

 

Vuillaume looks up at the professor and you do as well, although you look significantly more confused than Vuillaume does. "Really? I mean, really!? My brew was a success!?"

 

Your brain fails to think of a way to ask, with as much sarcasm as you demand, in what universe Vuillaume's orange explosion brew could be considered a success, and the professor says "Yes, it was. Well, rather, the part where it failed spectacularly wasn't your fault. I know that much."

 

"How?" you ask, desperate to have your questions answered at this point.

 

"Quite simple, actually. To keep it short, [Character]Character/Male/Selection/Caspar Pfeuffer's latest painting of [Character]Character/Female/Selection/Magalda Quaranta was such a hit that it literally hit her. With an explosion."

 

You stare blankly at the professor, while Vuillaume seems to have trouble figuring out what happened. Eventually you manage to piece it together and ask "So, wait, someone tampered with the paint that Vuillaume used?"

 

The professor nods. "[Character]Character/Male/Selection/Rui da Casga, I'm sure you've heard of him. He's been awarded quite the stay in detention, along with chores and kitchen duties, for his part in both the painting incident...as well as the fact that the alchemy room Vuillaume used is currently missing about half of a ceiling. Anyway, let me just undo the orange-ness of you both and send you on your way to the Great Hall."

 

"Why the Great Hall?" you ask.

 

"Because Rui's first chore was baking an orange pie for the two students who nearly got in a lot of trouble for his sloppiness. Orange-flavoured, not orange colored, mind. Well, not just orange colored, at any rate."

 

You'd point out that Vuillaume not checking the paint she was using was pretty sloppy as well (not that she should have expected it to have been loaded up with explosive chemical), but you refrain. Why? Because after all that nonsense you did, in fact, get a pie out of it!

--- -1 stress ---

 

"Are you done?" [Character]Character/Female/Selection/Vuillaume Eparvier asks, impatiently. You nod, stand back and gives a thumbs up, which is Vuillaume's cue to drop in the catalyst.

 

You wake up an hour later in the infirmary, unable to remember what happened, and strangely enough you're completely orange. Hair, clothes, skin, even your fingernails are completely orange. Vuillaume is standing next to you, and she too has caught a bad case of orange. For whatever reason she gives you two happy thumbs up. "Excellent job helping me with my brew, [Character]Character/Self. I need to work on the specifics a little, but other than that it worked perfectly! And you thought it was going to explode in your face, come on. Have a little more faith in me."

 

You sceptically look over the Vuillaume-shaped blob of orange...orange that's standing next to you, and with a bit of a sarcastic tone ask "Are you sure that mix worked?"

"Positive! Just think of how much easier it will be to paint rooms when all you need is a large cauldron and some basic ingredients! Do you have any idea how difficult it is to achieve a uniform paint job with a regular brush? Heck, most of what I used was just plain old water, too!"

 

"...Paint? With orange-flavored pie mix?"

 

Vuillaume stares at you curiously. "What? Pie mix? What made you think I'd paint a room with pie mix? And orange pie mix, at that. Still, that does give me an idea..."

You blankly stare at Vuillaume while your brain attempts to process this information. It's a more difficult task than you'd think. "Eh, Vuillaume? About the other flaw of that first brew? You know...you? I mean, I don't think you quite intended to look so...orange."

 

Vuillaume rolls her eyes. "Yeah, I already said I got a few things to work out. Besides, obviously people would use magic to apply the catalyst from a safe distance when they weren't experimenting."

 

"With the paint or the pie mix?"

 

"Eh, could be both, really."

 

Just as you're about to question Vuillaume's methods Professor [instructor]Instructor/Selection of Instructor/Polisena Briardi walks into the infirmary, flanked by a nurse. "So...what in Octavius' good name did you two do?"

 

Vuillaume, for some reason sounding pretty pleased with herself, pipes up. "Test my new magical pie-ing brew. No, wait, painting brew. Care for a fresh new office look, Professor? I guarantee it's both easy to use and more effective than a regular paintbrush. It might even smell better!"

 

Professor Briardi stares skeptically at Vuillaume, but she doesn't let it bother her. "I promise! Sure, I've got a few kinks to work out first, but other than that it'll work perfectly!"

 

"I...am sure it will, but if I wanted my office repainted I'd just use my wand."

 

Vuillaume shrugs, and the professor turns her attention towards you. "I'll have that color removed in a second, just sit still for a second." Lesson learned about Vuillaume and cauldrons, but more prominently on your mind right now? You didn't end up getting a pie...

--- -1 Analyse ---

 

Bring this to Professor Leith. (must not be Rui's friend)

If [Character]Character/Male/Selection/Rui da Casga made explosive paint here it stands to reason he intends to give that to someone as a prank, and you don't really want anyone to end up with a face full of paint. It's a pain to get out of your clothes, and let's not even get started about your hair...

 

"[Character]Character/Female/Selection/Vuillaume Eparvier, I think telling Professor [instructor]Instructor/Selection of Instructor/Matain Leith about this would be a good idea."

She nods. "You go and do that, I'll make sure this batch isn't going to explode on anyone." You nod in turn and leave, soon finding the professor in his office. He's quite shocked to hear what you have to say, but he manages to find Rui and confiscate his prank paint before anyone gets a face full of orange. Naturally Rui is a bit upset about you telling on him, but Professor Leith is quite pleased and so it Vuillaume.

--- -1 relationship with Rui, +1 relationship with Vuillaume and Professor Leith ---

 

You know someone who'd very much like to have this cauldron. (must not be Rui's rival)

A giant cauldron full of brew that when a catalyst is added - and only when a catalyst is added - explodes violently in a waterfall of orange paint? You definitely know someone who'd absolutely love to have this. Of course that begs the question of how you're going to convince [Character]Character/Female/Selection/Vuillaume Eparvier to...leave it out of her sight for, frankly, like an hour or so because this really is a gigantic cauldron. Maybe flatter her? No, maybe-

 

"What are you thinking about, [Character]Character/Self?"

 

...Oh. Right. She's still here in the room. Right in front of you, as a matter a fact. Well, subtlety is out the window. Time to try a direct approach. "Yes, eh, about this giant cauldron of super-charged explosive orange paint brew...how about mentioning this to [Character]Character/Male/Selection/Rui da Casga? He'd be very interested to know."

 

Vuillaume rolls her eyes. "Please, [Character]Character/Self, if you want to convince me to risk my neck to do him a favor just tell me why I should already."

 

"For one, Rui is really good at framing people. Which...sounds worse than it did in my head, but you know what I mean - no one will ever suspect you."

 

Vuillaume looks unconvinced. "And?"

 

"Check again how much explosive chemical is mixed in that giant cauldron. If it's set off...it'll be glorious."

 

Vuillaume looks convinced, and there's a grin on her face as well. "You go and quietly get Rui here, I'll see if I can add anything...special into the mix." With a wicked smile quickly spreading over your face you nod and run off to find Rui. You find him loitering around near one of the practice rooms with a bucket of paint on him. He immediately addresses you when he sees you running towards him. "[Character]Character/Self? Listen, I got plans here so please-"

 

"I got something bigger."

 

Rui narrows his eyes. "How much bigger?"

 

You point to Rui's bucket of "paint" and whisper, "A Vuillaume-strength cauldron the size of a bathtub worth of that stuff."

 

Rui's eyes slowly widen. He whispers back, "No, no way."

 

You nod. "You left your explosive paint canister behind. Guess who used it for her own explosive experiment?"

 

Rui's surprised expression quickly makes way for the wicked grin to end all wicked grins. At least until he gets his hands on the catalyst. Cheerfully mumbling to himself Rui says "[Character]Character/Female/Selection/Catherine Chard, old buddy...I think you're due for a lesson in painting." Rui nods to himself, for some reason. "Deal. Lead the way, [Character]Character/Self."

 

You do, and when Rui examines the cauldron (as well as Vuillaume's last-minute adjustments to it) he looks so happy it's downright cute. Disturbingly so, in fact. He really shouldn't be so happy with something like this...nor should you, for that matter. After Rui is finished inspecting the cauldron he turns around and addresses the two of you. "[Character]Character/Female/Selection/Vuillaume Eparvier, I'll make sure no one is going to suspect your hand in this, just don't ask how. [Character]Character/Self...yeah. Just...yeah. This makes me happy."

 

"I figured it would." you say with a smile.

 

"It does. Alright, [Character]Character/Self, help me set this up. I'll give details as necessary. [Character]Character/Female/Selection/Vuillaume Eparvier, lay low for a bit...although if you want to watch the fireworks go off-"

 

"Yes." Vuillaume says without any measure of doubt.

 

"I thought you would. Anyway if all goes as planned expect this to go off in or near [Character]Character/Female/Selection/Catherine Chard's dorm room, you can watch it from a safe distance through her window."

 

"There's no chance that the professors aren't going to think we were responsible for this." Vuillaume says.

 

"Will you let that stop you?" Rui asks.

 

Vuillaume shakes her head firmly. "Nope. Time to test some fireworks."

 

About twenty minutes of waving wands, a bit of improvising and sending a message to Catherine later the three of you are sitting outside, enjoying the fresh air a safe distance away from Catherine's dorm window. Which, quite suddenly, explodes violently with a powerful enough force to blast a small geyser of orange paint straight through the roof. You can't see inside (especially with the windows now covered in paint) but you imagine it's a bit of a mess in there.

 

"So much for Vernin's legacy of towers." Rui cheerfully notes.

 

"I told you the concentration mixture would be a good edition. Sure, it limited the size of the geyser but I'd say the increase in distance was worth it."

 

"Not to mention roof-piercing capabilities." you add.

 

"Agreed. Now how about we make ourselves scarce before Cathrine shows up and kills us with extreme prejudice?" Rui asks.

 

Both you and Vuillaume agree, and along with Rui spend the rest of the day in Mineta. Naturally more than a few people suspect your involvement in the...incident, but no one (even the professors) can prove anything.

--- +5 relationship with Rui, +2 relationship with Vuillaume, +1 relationship between Vuillaume and Rui, -2 relationship with Catherine, -3 relationship between Rui and Catherine ---

 

Negotiate. Sell this thing to Rui. (Charm/v4)

"Hey, [Character]Character/Female/Selection/Vuillaume Eparvier, how about selling this thing to [Character]Character/Male/Selection/Rui da Casga and splitting the profit 50-50?"

 

Vuillaume looks perplexed. "I...what? Really, you want to...sell this? I mean this isn't my cauldron or anything! It's-"

 

You hold up your hands, motioning to Vuillaume to stop. She does. "I know, I know, Rui can take care of the finer details, rest assured. Just...sell him the right to use this as he pleases. Provided, of course, that ours hands aren't suspected in it." Vuillaume frowns a bit and looks at the cauldron. "I don't think that's possible. Not with something this large and...this explosive."

 

"It is really, though? You got this oversized explosive bucket specifically because Rui made his own, he just a smaller one. Is it really so strange that he'd make a large one?"

Vuillaume's frown deepens and she stares over the cauldron. She even steps on the chair again and looks inside it as well, appearing to be deep in thought. "[Character]Character/Self?" she asks, after what felt like an eternity.

 

"Yeah?"

 

"Could...could you bargain with Rui? That in return for insurance that we don't get in trouble and that...we get to watch this go off, and a sum of Pims, that he can use this brew as he sees fit?"

 

You nod, confidently. "Let me find him and ask. Be right back."

 

You do, and after some persuasion you bring Rui with you to the alchemy room. He insisted on personally inspecting the cauldron and brew before buying it, which you found entirely reasonable. Once he sees and confirms what it's made of, though, Rui has a wicked grin on his face. "Selling me this? Seriously? How much?"

 

"200 Pims total - 100 each for myself and Vuillaume - as well as assurance that we're not suspected of having had a hand in this. Also, Vuillaume insisted on being allowed to see it go off." Rui looks at Vuillaume and she nods, acknowledging your terms. Rui doesn't say a word, he just pulls out a pouch and takes two Malims out of it.

 

You take yours and hand Vuillaume's hers, and take your leave. As much as you want to see this thing explode in it's full glory you're not quite that willing to risk getting caught and getting detention. So you instead spend a while calmly reading a book in the Garden Gallery until you see a small spout of orange paint erupt from the Vernin dorm building. Money, some measure of adoration and entertainment. You should help professors our more often.

--- +1 relationship with Vuillaume and Rui, +100 Pims ---

 

"Hey, [Character]Character/Female/Selection/Vuillaume Eparvier, how about selling this thing to [Character]Character/Male/Selection/Rui da Casga and splitting the profit 50-50?"

 

Vuillaume looks perplexed. "I...what? Really, you want to...sell this? I mean this isn't my cauldron or anything! It's-"

You hold up your hands, motioning to Vuillaume to stop. She does. "I know, I know, Rui can take care of the finer details, rest assured. Just...sell him the right to use this as he pleases. Provided, of course, that ours hands aren't suspected in it." Vuillaume frowns a bit and looks at the cauldron. "I don't think that's possible. Not with something this large and...this explosive."

 

"It is really, though? You got this oversized explosive bucket specifically because Rui made his own, he just a smaller one. Is it really so strange that he'd make a large one?"

Vuillaume's frown deepens and she stares over the cauldron. She even steps on the chair again and looks inside it as well, appearing to be deep in thought. "[Character]Character/Self?" she asks, after what felt like an eternity.

 

"Yeah?"

 

"Could...could you bargain with Rui? That in return for insurance that we don't get in trouble and that...we get to watch this go off, and a sum of Pims, that he can use this brew as he sees fit?"

 

You nod, confidently. "Let me find him and ask. Be right back."

 

You do, and after some persuasion you bring Rui with you to the alchemy room. He insisted on personally inspecting the cauldron and brew before buying it, which you found entirely reasonable. Once he sees and confirms what it's made of, though, Rui has a wicked grin on his face. "Selling me this? Seriously? How much?"

 

"100 Pims total - 50 each for myself and Vuillaume - as well as assurance that we're not suspected of having had a hand in this. Also, Vuillaume insisted on being allowed to see it go off." Rui looks at Vuillaume and she nods, acknowledging your terms. Rui doesn't say a word, he just pulls out a pouch and takes two Gints out of it. The massive grin on his face tells you that you could have gotten more out of him, but no matter. You got enough.

 

You take yours and hand Vuillaume's hers, and take your leave. As much as you want to see this thing explode in it's full glory you're not quite that willing to risk getting caught and getting detention. So you instead spend a while calmly reading a book in the Garden Gallery until you see a small spout of orange paint erupt from the Vernin dorm building. Money, some measure of adoration and entertainment. You should help professors our more often.

--- +50 Pims, +1 relationship with Rui and Vuillaume, -1 Negotiate ---

For the record, I have figured out why students like Vuillaume don't get many events. Because constantly typing her name is a pain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now that those adventures are done, how about some more events?

 

RE Student - Silke 2:

 

After classes end you decide to go for a quick jog around the athletics field, just to wake you back up before going on your afternoon business. Only on your way there you notice that it looks a lot busier, not to mention more cluttered, than usual. Small flags are lazily hanging from one end of the field to the other, there's flowers of all shapes and sizes strung about everywhere, and drapes of colorful cloth is swinging around gently in the breeze like oversized flags. Is today No Magic Community Laundry Day or what? From the bustle of activity you see a figure turn around towards you, and before you get a chance to think she starts running. It isn't long before you recognise her. [Character]Character/Female/Selection/Silke Niederstatter, the Godina girl who tries to make everything look extra pretty. Really, you should have known. "Hey, [Character]Character/Self, perfect timing! Do you want to join the contest as a last-minute contender? I think if you make a run for it you can get to Regent [instructor]Instructor/Selection of Instructor/Leo Massioti and enter."

You look around, seeing a large number of students and a large number of...festival props, for lack of a better word, but nothing you recognize as a contest. Sounding and probably looking a bit distant you face Silk and ask what's going on here. You only came here for a quick jog.

Silk smiles. "I can see why, you really need it. Not to worry though, the Athletics field is still open for use. It's just being used for this little competition as well right now, so you'll have to run laps on the field past the festival ground."

Sure, you say, but what's this "festival" about anyway?

Silk's smile widens. Not that you'll admit it right to her face, but her predatory grin does not make you comfortable. "Oh, the festival is all about aesthetics. Showing off new styles, designs, everything from clothes to bedsheets, name it. I finally managed to get Regent Massioti to listen to my idea about how to improve College Godina and push this event through."

And College Godina is expected to benefit from this...how?

"How wouldn't it? Of course the students are going to be more protective and proud of their more beautiful College, especially when they themselves designed everything! Especially the Rimbal team will be motivated to do their best if it's to protect what's theirs, rather than what they've adopted."

Conclusion A: Regent [instructor]Instructor/Selection of Instructor/Leo Massioti is a bit desperate for things that'll motivate the Academagia's Rimbal team, even though last you checked he's done a good job to ease the mental weight of the recent string of losses that caused him to be appointed Regent in the first place.

Conclusion B: Silke has let this event get a bit to her head. So much so that she's forgotten that hanging a bedsheet over a wall isn't going to motivate anyone to do anything, let alone an entire College. Besides, if she's interested in tapestries shouldn't she be knocking on Regent [instructor]Instructor/Selection of Instructor/Finus Piaxenza's door?

"Anyway, that's enough out of me. So, do you want to compete?"

Eh...

You're here to jog, nothing more.

"Thanks, but no thanks, I'm just here to jog."

"Oh, alright..." Silke says with a sad look on her face. It lasts for all of two seconds, and then she perks right back up. "Well, okay, but at least come take a look around. Trust me, there's a ton of cool designs being showcased and I'm sure you won't regret it."

You silently nod, and without being given a chance to say anything more [Character]Character/Female/Selection/Silke Niederstatter turns around and runs off. Well, that's that distraction over, time for some jogging.

After running a few laps you do go to where the...festival, was that what Silke called it earlier? Regardless, you head over to the event if only to get something to drink, and once there you decide that you might as well take a look around. Various styles of clothes, designs and other stuff is being shown off by a large number of students. You didn't think so many people cared about aesthetics that much, but the bigger surprise comes when you see Regent [instructor]Instructor/Selection of Instructor/Leo Massioti himself walking around. Curious about a few things, you decide to walk up to him.

"Yes, [Character]Character/Self? Can I help you?" the Regent asks, sounding a bit nervous.

"Sorry, Professor, but I just wanted to ask, did you really organize this event?"

The Regent chuckles. "Organize it, yes, but it wasn't originally my idea. In fact, I actually voted against it. Purely because I didn't think the athletics field was an appropriate location for it, of course."

"Of course," you say with a grin.

"But, as sometimes happens, the nay-sayers were outvoted. It's not a bad event, really, it's just...this really is something that should be held in the Great Hall, rather than the athletics field. I just know I'm going to be hearing from the groundkeeper later about why a dozen students barged into his office to look over the running course maps, and that's not the only problem, either. Still, it's good to see that you're dedicated to keeping yourself in shape. Keep up the good work, [Character]Character/Self."

With a smile on your face you nod and start walking off. Nothing about this event (whatever Silke called it earlier) really stood out to you, but it didn't really get in your way either, so, whatever. Nothing lost, nothing gained.
--- -1 Art Appreciation, +1 Endurance ---

 

Aesthetics. There WAS this one design you were thinking about, actually... (Insight/v3)

"I was kicking around an idea in my head about how to design a set of training clothes that's more susceptible to temperature spells, actually. Not to mention, a little less sweat and dirt-prone..."

[Character]Character/Female/Selection/Silke Niederstatter nods as vigorously as you've ever seen her nod. "Oh, definitely. You haven't seen 'poorly designed' until you've seen the athletics uniforms. And washing them manually, just...really, it's the worst part about exercising, without a doubt."

"Oh, I know. Do you know that's intentional, even? Really, it's to 'motivate us to learn magic'. As if we'd need extra motivation, right? We're all here to learn how to bend every natural law to our every whim, and our professors think we're lacking motivation?"

Silke agrees, but unfortunately after conversing a bit she suddenly realizes that sign-ups for the contest are about to close. Running as fast as your legs will take you doesn't prove to be enough, unfortunately, but when Silke shows up she offers to let you join her team.

"You're working with a team in this contest?"

"I do now," she says with a smile.

You nod and work together with Silke on your now-joint challenge of designing a useful set of clothes for athletic exercises. Unfortunately the flair that Silke puts into it renders it less than practical for actual use, but it sure is pretty to look at.
--- +1 Art Appreciation ---

 

"I was kicking around an idea in my head about how to design a set of training clothes that's more susceptible to temperature spells, actually. Not to mention, a little less sweat and dirt-prone..."

[Character]Character/Female/Selection/Silke Niederstatter nods as vigorously as you've ever seen her nod. "Oh, definitely. You haven't seen 'poorly designed' until you've seen the athletics uniforms. And washing them manually, just...really, it's the worst part about exercising, without a doubt."

"Oh, I know. Do you know that's intentional, even? Really, it's to 'motivate us to learn magic'. As if we'd need extra motivation, right? We're all here to learn how to bend every natural law to our every whim, and our professors think we're lacking motivation?"

Silke agrees, but unfortunately after conversing a bit she suddenly realizes that sign-ups for the contest are about to close. Running as fast as your legs will take you doesn't prove to be enough, in fact it proves to be painful as you end up tearing a muscle. Thankfully there's plenty of staff and older student around to mend your leg as best as their Revisions can, but just to make sure you're not going to continue feeling that later you skip the event and slowly jog around the still open part of the Athletics Field. Hopefully that'll help heal the tear, rather than make it worse...
--- -1 Vitality ---

 

Temperance. Bring Silke back down to Cyve sooner rather than later. (Charm/v3)

You let out a pre-emptive sigh, knowing that this isn't going to be a fun conversation. "I hate to say this, [Character]Character/Female/Selection/Silke Niederstatter, but I think you're slightly overestimating how important this event of yours will be."

Silke obviously looks shocked, but despite her looking like the world is about to end you manage to stay calm. Which, in turn, seems to calm Silke down slightly. "W-what do you mean? Don't you think that-"

"Silke, turn around and take another look at who is there. Do you see any members of the Rimbal team?"

She does, and after squinting her eyes a bit she says "Oh, right there, there's...[Character]Character/Male/Selection/Zorzi Galea. He's...going to be a member of the Rimbal team, right?"

You stare at Silke's hopeful expression, and watch it sink like an airship shot out of the sky. Now depressed, Silke lets out a sigh. "I...okay, yeah, I guess I let this get to my head. I know the Rimbal team doesn't care, heck, the Rimbal team was the group that convinced Regent [instructor]Instructor/Selection of Instructor/Leo Massioti to oppose this event in the first place. But, I still think that they'll do better after this. Once they see how much the people in our College care, even the ones who attend art galleries rather than the actual games, they'll be extra motivated to win. I'm sure of it."

That's the Silke you know. Quick to fall, but even quicker to get back up before hitting the ground. "I'll admit, that's one way I didn't think to look at it. So I take it this design...thing has Rimbal as it's theme?"

Silke slaps herself. "Oh of course! That's what I should have told the Regent, I completely forgot! No wonder he and the team opposed the idea!"

"You...wait, seriously? The theme of the design festival is Rimbal? And you forgot to tell that to the Rimbal team?"

Silke rolls her eyes. "Well, duh. Why else do you think that Zorzi is here, of all students?"

You hadn't even thought of that. You didn't even realize it was a mystery, and yet now it feels like it all makes sense. You're startled out of it, though, as you suddenly see Silke turn around and run off. "Where are you going!?" you yell after her.

"To tell the Regent!"

Silke might have said more than that, but if so you didn't catch the end of it. Still, Regent Massioti is here, at the festival he officially opposed? Probably as a supervisor or some such, since this is the Athletics field and all. Now that you're done with Silke, though, you wonder about what to do next. You could just call that it and go to your running, but you feel a little bad about having questioned Silke like that. Sure, it was necessary and definitely better for her in the end, but seeing her expression after having her dream moment shot right out of the sky like that...you feel like doing something, as an apology. But what? More to the point, what do you have time for? You still need to run your laps, so...

...You still need to run your laps? Idea!

Turning around on a dime you spin around and start sprinting towards the Rimbal Field. It's not too far away, but by the time you get there you're a bit out of breath regardless. As expected you run into two older teams, Godina's and Vernin's, engaging in an epic competition against each other (you think). One of the benched players notices you running towards them, haggered and out of breath as you are, and walks up to you. Straight to the point, he plainly asks if something happened. You shake your head, and ask if he's heard about Silke's little aesthetics festival. The older player says he has, but also that no one cares about it because, well, they're Rimbal players, not art critics.

With a smile quickly spreading over your face you ask, "I figured as much, but, what if all the art and design is centred around Rimbal?"

The older player raises an eyebrow and says he's not sure, at which point Godina's team captain intrudes upon the conversation. "Phil, your turn. Kid, what'd you want?" Before you get a chance to respond the player off-handedly mentions that you were asking about Silke's little event, and the captain glares at you, asking why any of them should care. Quickly and succinctly you explain Silke's oversight, and scratching his head the captain comments "So that's why that scrawny first-year was excited about it. I should have figured Rimbal was involved when he came out and supported it."

The other team's captain and a few other players show up, and a quick conversation later they decide to drop by the event and take a look around. "Not that we're really interested in design...things or anything." Godina's captain tells you with a very meaningful look on his face, "But being seen by Regent Massioti at a place that promotes Academagia's Rimbal teams is never a bad thing." You nod, with a grin on your face, and walk along with the two teams towards the event, to check it out as well. Come the end they're legitimately impressed by how much the people they'd never think were supporters seem to care, and Silke is quite happy that her event was as grand a success as it reasonably could be.
--- +1 Temperance ---

 

You let out a pre-emptive sigh, knowing that this isn't going to be a fun conversation. "I hate to say this, [Character]Character/Female/Selection/Silke Niederstatter, but I think you're slightly overestimating how important this event of yours will be." Silke obviously looks shocked, and while you try to stay calm something about the slightly mad glint in Silke's eyes makes you nervous. Which, in turn, does nothing to calm Silke down, and things...kinda go downhill from there.

Good news: You manage to jog around, as you planned.

Bad news: The Athletics field has never felt so...hostile.
--- +1 Stress ---

 

Practical Jokes. Enter a design that secretly mocks College Godina's failings. (Luck/v5)

Holding back a predatory grin of your own you pretend to think it over and say, "Actually, if there's a design contest I would like to enter."

[Character]Character/Female/Selection/Silke Niederstatter seems excited. "Well, then get moving! Sign-ups close in three minutes!"

You start running and sign up, literally, at the last minute. One of the festival organizers, namely Professor [instructor]Instructor/Selection of Instructor/Contzel Ringraeyer, takes you to a small booth where there's the bare minimum of things needed to design what can kindly be called a poor man's tapestry. Actually, there's less than the bare minimum, but the professor's weary expression when you turn to ask her about it tells you everything you need to know. Namely, that you're a magic user at a magic school for mages. There's a problem? Use magic.

That'll work out perfectly fine. You grab what you need and get to work. Just a little bit of work with a needle, some carefully cut fabrics here and there for color and the illusion of depth, a little bit of wand waving to Sergei's Timely Doorjam the entire thing to the right size you need, and viola. One poor man's attempt at a tapestry, showing a slightly abstract, but still clearly visible (and crazy) Rimbal player wearing College Godina's colors getting mobbed by the opposing team. You're not sure whether to call it commentary on the Rimbal players' general lack of intelligence (since, apparently, this one couldn't count to three), their tendency to take their sport way too seriously (especially this one, with the mad glint in his eye), or the fact that College Godina is a bit of a kitchen sink when it comes to the students it attracts (symbolized by the myriad of instruments chasing this hopeless...hopeful). However people might choose to interpret it, it's truly a work of prankster art. Well, time to show off.

When a festival organizer shows up to pick up your entry he looks it over with an observant eye, but he doesn't say anything. Instead he takes it and brings you along to the location where all the entries will be judged by seven professors. You don't see Professor [instructor]Instructor/Selection of Instructor/Contzel Ringraeyer or Regent [instructor]Instructor/Selection of Instructor/Leo Massioti among the judges, though. In fact, you don't recognize any of them. Nevertheless, the judges are presented with the various entries, one by one, and they seem to be enjoying the things they're shown. Nothing really seems to stand out to any of them, though, although you don't know if that's because they have high standards or because the competitors have low skills. And then they're shown your entry, and every judge suddenly looks shocked. Oh boy, this is going to be fun.

"A marvellous piece of work," one says.

"Much deeper than what I thought possible," says another.

"Beautifully put together with what little material and magic the first years have available," says yet another. It's at this point that you realize that your plan has either gone horribly wrong, or horribly right.

The professor sitting in the center, who apparently oversees the rest of the judges as well as being a judge himself, stands up. "Without a doubt, this is the best piece we've seen yet. I have high hopes for the rest, of course, but even so a work such as this simply has to be commended." The other judges all nod in agreement, leaving you at a loss for words. For multiple reasons, at that. After that little interlude the judging continues like nothing ever happened, but when it's time to name the winner of the competition, the center judge stands up again.

"We've all seen some remarkable work here today, and I can honestly say that I've enjoyed seeing all of it. However, the best piece is, without a doubt, 'The Futile Struggle' from last-minute entrant [Character]Character/Self, our very own first-year student from College [College]College/Character/Self!"

Part of you wants to start laughing uncontrollably right now, but the rest of you is too shocked to do so. It's probably for the best that you don't, anyway.

"[Character]Character/Self, come up on stage, we all would like to congratulate you personally."

Without giving much thought as to what you're doing and why you slowly make your way up the stage, while your poor man's tapestry is prominently hung to the side of the podium, clearly visible for everyone to see. Somehow, for some inexplicable reason, people actually seem to like it. Each of the judges, as promised, walks up to you and shakes you hand. It's a really bizarre experience, made either better or worse by the fact that you don't really know who these professors are. You're not sure. Turning you around the face the crowd, the lead judge happily announces to everyone present that the most skilled weavers from College Hedi shall be contracted to weave a proper tapistry of your excellent work of art, which shall be prominently displayed in the halls of College Godina long after your Sergei's Timely Doorjam spells wears off. You can't do anything but nod along and play the part of a shy kid with stage fright as you're awarded 3 Merit for winning the competition.

Really, of all the ways you expected this to go this wasn't one of them. You're not going to complain, though.
--- +1 Artisan, +3 Merit ---

 

Holding back a predatory grin of your own you pretend to think it over and say, "Actually, if there's a design contest I would like to enter."

[Character]Character/Female/Selection/Silke Niederstatter seems excited. "Well, then get moving! Sign-ups close in three minutes!"

You start running and sign up, literally, at the last minute. One of the festival organizers, namely Professor [instructor]Instructor/Selection of Instructor/Contzel Ringraeyer, takes you to a small booth where there's the bare minimum of things needed to design what can kindly be called a poor man's tapestry. Actually, there's less than the bare minimum, but the professor's weary expression when you turn to ask her about it tells you everything you need to know. Namely, that you're a magic user at a magic school for mages. There's a problem? Use magic.

That'll work out perfectly fine. You grab what you need and get to work. Just a little bit of work with a needle, some carefully cut fabrics here and there for color and the illusion of depth, a little bit of wand waving to Sergei's Timely Doorjam the entire thing to the right size you need, and viola. One poor man's attempt at a tapestry, showing a slightly abstract, but still clearly visible (and crazy) Rimbal player wearing College Godina's colors getting mobbed by the opposing team. You're not sure whether to call it commentary on the Rimbal players' general lack of intelligence (since, apparently, this one couldn't count to three), their tendency to take their sport way too seriously (especially this one, with the mad glint in his eye), or the fact that College Godina is a bit of a kitchen sink when it comes to the students it attracts (symbolized by the myriad of instruments chasing this hopeless...hopeful). However people might choose to interpret it, it's truly a work of prankster art. Well, time to show off.

When a festival organizer shows up to pick up your entry he looks it over with an observant eye, but he doesn't say anything. Instead he takes it and brings you along to the location where all the entries will be judged by seven professors. You don't see Professor [instructor]Instructor/Selection of Instructor/Contzel Ringraeyer or Regent [instructor]Instructor/Selection of Instructor/Baldassare Monetario among the judges, though. In fact, you don't recognize any of them. Nevertheless, the judges are presented with the various entries, one by one, and they seem to be enjoying the things they're shown. Nothing really seems to stand out to any of them, though, although you don't know if that's because they have high standards or because the competitors have low skills. And then they're shown your entry, and every judge suddenly looks shocked. Oh boy, this is going to be fun.

"Quite a creative piece of art," one says.

"Not bad at all, particularly for only a first year student," says another.

"A bit too abstract for my personal taste, but certainly well-designed," says yet another. You're not entirely sure what to make of this, especially when you think you see a few of the judges break out amused grins. If they do they hide it fairly well, but not well enough. Meanwhile you also notice a few Godina seniors standing a bit farther away in the crowd, and they're giving your poor man's tapestry a very meaningful look...and frown. You might want to leave, like, now-ish, but the seniors are already working their way through the crowd and asking questions. Escape route, escape route...

...There is no escape route. There's older Godina students all around you. Your only hope is to somehow get away before they realize who made that poor man's tapestry, but if they suddenly see a first-year turn tail and run...not good. Come on, there's got to be-

"Oh, hey, [Character]Character/Self, right? Did you make that...work of art...decorated bedsheet...thing?"

You whip your head around and see Professor [instructor]Instructor/Selection of Instructor/Baldassare Monetario standing behind you. Is he one of the festival organizers? Heck, forget about that, more importantly can he provide an escape route? You nod and quietly say that the mistake that the judges are still fawning over for whatever Gods-forsaken reason is indeed yours (although obviously not with those exact words). The professor nods and looks at it, almost wistfully. "Yeah, I thought so. I'll admit, you're certainly better talented at the whole 'art' thing than I ever was. And speaking of that, I was actually wondering if you could help me...oh, right now in fact. I actually forgot to prepare for a Geometry test that's due tomorrow, and I was looking for a less artistically dead, dry and defeated person to help me set it up. I'm sad to say that you won't be winning this competition, don't ask me how I know, and after this the festival will be pretty much over, so if you have the time..."

In the corner of your eye you see one of the Godina seniors approach Professor [instructor]Instructor/Selection of Instructor/Contzel Ringraeyer, and without thinking you accept. Professor Monetario, for what it's worth, looks...happy. For his standards. Maybe. "Oh, good. I forgot to mention, it's a test for the second years, so don't worry about your classmates, or...college mates or what have you. Anyway, follow me to my office please. I have the necessary paperwork there."

You nod and follow the professor away from the crowd and festival, and it seems that with Professor Monetario right next to you the Godina students either don't dare or don't think to look in your direction. Good news, you didn't get the snot (magically) beaten out of you. Bad news, several hours worth of helping Professor Monetario devise and set up a big Geometry test. Joy. You went to the Athletics field to NOT fall asleep later, dangit!
--- +3 Stress, +1 relationship with Professor Monetario ---

 

 

Also, has bonus: Random Event - Outing Outed (requires having finished An Outing... without ending it early, although since that flag doesn't exist in the 1.0.0 .amo it's actually set to require being your own rival. Something the Team will have to fix later):

 

You're in the Great Hall, looking for a table to eat your meal, when your eyes land on a rather large group of fellow first years, sitting and eating a meal together in a quiet (if not inconspicuous) corner. Ordinarily that wouldn't be overly strange, except that you notice that the group includes both [Character]Character/Female/Selection/Gwendy Zuyder and [Character]Character/Male/Selection/Girars de Periarde, and they appear to be on speaking terms. Strange, as you were fairly certain that they very much weren't after a recent incident involving a stuffed...something and Girars' room. You haven't heard the details, only that [Character]Character/Male/Selection/Rui da Casga (allegedly) is involved. Curious besides yourself you sit down behind the group, which is paying you no attention as they continue to pour over books and assorted scrolls, allowing you to see who else is part of it. And even listen in a bit.

"I still say that we interrogate - sorry, question - one of the professors, maybe even the Legate himself. I've heard that they were told, and I'm sure that we can get one of them to talk," [Character]Character/Female/Selection/Grainne Inneith suggests, probably not for the first time, with a scary, almost predatory grin on her face.

"That wouldn't work," [Character]Character/Male/Selection/Tacito Viadana says in response before anyone else. "The Legate is difficult to find and even more difficult to ask something of. As for the professors, and I suppose the Regents as well, we'd first have to find out who knows and then try to convince them to give us that information. We already tried Professor [instructor]Instructor/Selection of Instructor/Contzel Ringraeyer, who made it clear that she doesn't know anything and wouldn't tell us even if she did, and the only other professor I can think of who might know is Professor [instructor]Instructor/Selection of Instructor/Tarvixio Sido. I don't suppose anyone has any tricks to make the Dialectic professor confide private information to a group of first years, assuming he's even aware of it in the first place?"

"What about Regent [instructor]Instructor/Selection of Instructor/Finus Piaxenza? If anyone he'd know, right?" Gwendy asks.

A tired-looking [Character]Character/Male/Selection/Reitz von Lutersee answers Gwendy's question with, "Gwendy, Professor Sido isn't an option because none of us could convince him to talk. How would we pry information out of the Regent of the College famous for, among other things, the art of Rhetoric?"

"I know it's a long shot, but maybe we could just ask? I, at least, have a perfectly good reason to want to know what happened there," [Character]Character/Male/Selection/Girars de Periarde notes.

"I still think we can figure this out ourselves," [Character]Character/Female/Selection/Zoe Melis says while not paying much (if any) attention to the discussion the others are engaged in. Needless to say, she's the one with her head stuck in at least two books. "First years don't invent spells like that and it's definitely not part of any Glamour textbook I've seen, so [Character]Character/Self must have learned it from something. One of these books-"

"Or someone," Grainne suddenly says, completely out of context of the discussion she was very much a part of. "I've done some asking around town, and there's some really juicy rumors going around about that apothecary, if you know where to look."

Oh-oh. You didn't like the sound of this before, and you definitely don't like the sound of it now.

"So you suggest that we interview them?" Tacito asks, but Girars quickly shoots that idea down, noting that they already told him "all he needs to know", in their own words. "We could try to set up a trade," Reitz suggests. "Information for information. Grainne can find something suitable, no doubt, and I might have a favor that could help shake something loose, as well." Reitz' face betrays that he doesn't believe his own idea will go through, and sure enough, Girars shoots that one down as well, this time because he doesn't want to do that to the people who saved his life. Gwendy lets out a sigh in response, but despite a glare from Girars nothing more in said on that idea.

"Have any of you thought that maybe we could just ask [Character]Character/Self about it directly?" Zoe asks while putting one book aside and propping up a fresh one. Really though, why have two books open at once? Grainne doesn't seem too interested in reading the one she should be able to clearly see. "[Character]Character/Self'd never tell us," Grainne says a bit-no, actually, far too wistfully in response. "We don't have to get everything, though, even just a hint as to where to look in the Venalicium would be enough. If only we'd know where to look we could figure out the rest from there," Reitz says. "You mean I could figure out the rest from there," Zoe says under her breath, although still loudly enough for you to hear. Apparently "mumbling for dummies" is one of those rare books that she hasn't read.

"Oh, well, speak of the Emperor," Girars says as he finally looks away from Gwendy and, unfortunately, ends up seeing you. Naturally, a half-dozen heads turn around at once to look at you. One, maybe two don't look like your lifespan has been made any shorter in the past half minute. "Speak of the Emperor indeed," Reitz says, but Grainne actually ends up finishing the thought, as with one graceful move she grabs a quill, an empty parchment and turns around on her bench without hitting anything or anyone, meaning she's now facing you with writing material ready and waiting. "Good afternoon, [Character]Character/Self. Any comments about-"

"Grainne, please, would you mind if I did the talking here?"

Grainne turns to look at Girars, stares at him for a few seconds, and lets out a sigh. "Fine," she says, "But on the condition that I am allowed to take notes as I please."

"So long as they reflect what was actually said," Girars answers while letting out a sigh of his own as he stands up and sits down next to Grainne, looking right trough you with a piercing gaze you don't think you've seen on him before. At least, not while he's this...calm. Normally that look is on him when he's on a roll with his veganism rants, so to see it while he just wants to talk like a normal person...it seems odd.

"[Character]Character/Self, you already know what this discussion is about, right?"

You slowly nod.

"Then, tell me. I want to know what happened that day that...Gwendy and you...saved...my...life..." It's almost insulting how much effort it takes Girars to say that, but Gwendy only has a very smug grin on her face. You, for your part, don't. "When that beast attacked me, when I heard your voice, when...what was her name, Leene and her friends healed me. They didn't tell me anything, they wouldn't even explain why they didn't, or, maybe couldn't tell me anything, and the only thing I've been able to find out is that whatever you cast couldn't have been a Glamour. Not one that any first-year should have been able to cast, anyway. Please, I want to know what happened."

On one side Girars kinda deserves to know, or at least why he doesn't want to know. On the other side, discussing that right in front of Grainne and Reitz...might not be a wise idea. Now what?

"So...why are all six of you involved in this, anyway?"

Girars looks a bit nervously at Reitz, who actually grabs a parchment from his robe and looks it over before speaking. "In order, Girars wanted to know and tried to ask Gwendy for information, which failed, so he contacted Tacito and hired him to find that information, which failed, so Tacito...well, not quite 'hired', but he brought in Zoe to see if the three of them could research it, which failed, so they contacted me to convince Gwendy to join the group and assist with finding the information, which did succeed although we couldn't find the information even with her help, so I brought in Grainne to help pry information out of people rather than books, which, like practically everything else, failed."

You stare questioningly at Reitz as he catches some much-needed breath, and after a second he asks, "What? You don't believe me?"

"Reitz, with all due respect, I strongly doubt that this entire group was brought together without copious amounts of blackmail flying around at least a few directions. Specifically, how did you convince Gwendy to join forces with Girars de Periarde, of all students, without applying some form of blackmail?" Reitz frowns, but as personally as he might take that you're convinced it's a legitimate question. Not to mention concern. "I didn't blackmail Gwendy at all," Reitz insists, and instinctively you look over at Gwendy. "He didn't," she clarifies, and with a smile she adds, "I will say that his invitation was very...interestingly phrased, though. Exactly like how you'd expect Reitz to sound when he's trying to be nice." You shudder at the thought, but whatever else might have been said, Girars cuts in. "Regardless, [Character]Character/Self, can you please tell me what happened?"
--- Try Again ---

 

"If Leene didn't tell you, then I either shouldn't or can't. I don't entirely understand it myself, either."

[Character]Character/Male/Selection/Girars de Periarde frowns. "I want to know what happened to me. Happened. If it's supposed to be a secret of something, well, it's not a secret anymore now is it?"

"That's true," you reluctantly admit, "but what I did and all...I don't want to talk about it. I don't want to admit it, especially in front of [Character]Character/Female/Selection/Grainne Inneith and [Character]Character/Male/Selection/Reitz von Lutersee of all students, and I shouldn't talk about it, even. And if Leene thinks that it's best that you don't know I have to assume she's right. She knows this far better than I do, and I don't know what you're better of knowing and not knowing. If there's something still bothering you than go ask Leene, or Nhordum I suppose, but otherwise...I think it's best if you just let it go." You give it a few seconds to sink in, and naturally this doesn't go over very well. Thankfully, Girars doesn't look as offended as you thought he would. Now, Grainne on the other hand...

"Oh come on, you can tell us. It's not like I-actually, let's try that again. It's not like people aren't already talking about your little incident with Gwendy and Girars, so wouldn't you rather have people know and talk about what actually happened rather than whatever they think of?"

"First off, Grainne, there's a greater than 100% chance that [Character]Character/Female/Selection/Rikildis von Kiep's little newspaper is going to drag my name through the mud as much as it can manage regardless of how much I say or don't say, and I know it's going to do that because that's all it's been doing since Juvenalia. Second off, no, I would rather people continue to speculate and come up with their own theories, as impossible or terrible, though generally both, as they may be. Particularly because relative to what the truth actually is, what people have been speculating isn't that bad, really."

Grainne is clearly worked up and ready to start defending herself and Rikildis...up until you mention that last part, at which point her anger (and likely frustration) quickly turns into confusion. "Wait-wait-wait, hang on for a second there, what was that last bit? What people are saying isn't that much worse than-I've heard like a half-dozen rumors that you've been studying Mastery and turned Girars into your puppet for that incident! That you were the one who Mastered him into following [Character]Character/Female/Selection/Gwendy Zuyder in the first place as part of some crazy Gates-related experiment, even! You know those two are forbidden schools of magic that carry a death penalty with them, right? What could possibly be worse than that!?"

You don't answer Grainne's question, in part out of principle and in part because you can't think of an answer to give (or a principle that would be violated if you gave an answer, but that's besides the point), but [Character]Character/Male/Selection/Tacito Viadana, sharp as always, actually manages to answer it for you. "That some or maybe even all of those silly, off-the-wall rumors that no one with any degree of intelligence would ever believe...are actually true."

"Who spread that second rumor, anyway? That's just...ridiculous," [Character]Character/Male/Selection/Reitz von Lutersee asks while everyone else stares at you a bit curiously.

"Rikildis herself, I've heard," Zoe quietly answers.

"So...wait," Grainne slowly says, "is that...is that really it? That's why you don't want people to know what happened? And have them keep gossiping with no real information? Because...what they're saying is actually right?"

You let out a sigh. "That Gates rumor or whatever it was is completely insane and whoever thought of that should be mentally checked, but beyond that? Girars already said that the spell I cast couldn't have been a Glamour, so what do you guys think it really was?"

The entire group falls silent for a minute, wordlessly looking amongst each other with worried faces (for the most part), until Grainne's voice suddenly - and loudly - cuts through the silence. "Oh, stop it! That's clearly a bluff! We've already found out that at least some of the professors have been informed, and if you were caught casting Mastery spells you wouldn't-heck that apothecary wouldn't still be there! So what really was it?" Grainne stares at you like you should be intimidated by that...but as it so happens what you said wasn't a bluff, so you're not at all moved. "You...you can't be serious," Grainne says after realizing that you're not going to budge.

"Now do you understand why I don't want to talk about it? Shouldn't, can't, even?"

"You...can't be serious."

You turn to look at Girars. "Will that be all?"

Girars, for whatever reason, actually shakes his head. "Mastery or not, I still want to know why I...oh, I'll just say it, why I heard your voice in my head a couple of times, even after that incident passed. I mean, Leene told me that might happen and to ignore it, that it would just pass after a short while, which it did, but I still...want to know why."

"You don't want to know why Mastery does what it does, Girars," you say as you stand up and prepare to walk off, feeling like you're done here. Of course Grainne pipes up before you can take even a single step, but you ignore her and move on. Or so you thought, but less than a minute later [Character]Character/Female/Selection/Gwendy Zuyder actually sits down next to you. Just her, though.

"You're not here to ask about the incident or those rumors, are you?"

Gwendy shakes her head. "You ought to keep a better eye on your prey, [Character]Character/Self. Girars wasn't interested in your magic, you know."

"He seemed interested in my magic to me," you say a bit curiously.

"Oh, only partially. That stuff about him hearing your voice? He wants to know why he heard yours, and not Leene's. You only, eh, I forget how he explained it, but apparently you didn't do especially much with that spell of yours, whereas Leene had to dig deeper, so to speak. Yet Girars still heard you, not Leene, and he wants to know why."

You stare at Gwendy a bit dumbfounded. "I never got that impression off of him. And besides, if that's what he wanted to know, why did he ask that?"

Gwendy actually smiles a little. "Well, you should know how good he isn't with explaining what he really means. You do remember that, don't you?"

"Yeah, I guess I do," you reluctantly admit. "I'll talk with him later, for what that's worth, but...with Grainne and Reitz there, and Tacito and Zoe and you and everything...I didn't want to say anything."

"Oh, I understand, I just wanted you to know that. Ah, and if you're wondering about why I'm helping Girars, well, I'd say that Reitz and [Character]Character/Male/Selection/Rui da Casga are involved, but, well, you know how silly rumors are these days."

Smiling besides yourself you nod in understanding, and watch as Gwendy walks back to the group, presumably to keep up whatever bargain she's got going with Reitz. You'll have to chat with Girars at a later date. In private, preferably.
--- -1 relationship with Grainne, +1 Character, +1 Temperance ---

 

"Perhaps you deserve to know, but, do you really want to?"

[Character]Character/Male/Selection/Girars de Periarde frowns, looking at you a bit strangely. "Eh, yes? I just said that I want to know, didn't I?"

You let out a sigh, knowing full well that this isn't going to go over well - especially with this group - but he deserves to know. "Think about it, Girars. If it wasn't a Glamour, what do you think it was?" Girars' eyes slowly widen, and as lively and excited as everyone else was a minute ago, they all look like they've been stunned into silence now. "So, again, are you sure you want to know?"

Girars doesn't respond, and a very lively cry of "I do!" from [Character]Character/Female/Selection/Grainne Inneith aside, no one else does either. [Character]Character/Male/Selection/Tacito Viadana, [Character]Character/Female/Selection/Zoe Melis, [Character]Character/Female/Selection/Gwendy Zuyder, Girars himself of course, even [Character]Character/Male/Selection/Reitz von Lutersee silently stares at you with disbelief. "What, didn't you hear me? I said I wanted to know!"

"I don't think the professors are going to appreciate you digging further into this and publishing those findings in the school newspaper if this really concerns Mastery, Grainne," Tacito quietly says while staring at you, looking like he doesn't want to believe it. Grainne, in response, turns around and looks at Tacito with a very peculiar expression. "What, Mastery? What makes you think this concerns Mastery?"

"Need you even ask? If that wasn't a Glamour than what do you think it was?" Reitz asks, sounding more annoyed than he should, but Grainne doesn't budge from wherever she's standing. Or sitting, as the case may be. "Relax, suggesting that it's Mastery is clearly a bluff. I mean, do you really think that [Character]Character/Self would still be here if [Character]Character/Self was caught casting Mastery spells? The professors already know about it, remember? So it has to be legal, and that means it must have been a Glamour, maybe something Astrology related...right?"

No one looks particularly convinced, and a few heads turn to look at Zoe. She looks up from her book, sighs, and shows you the title of the book she's reading. The Noble Houses of Mineta, 1600 - 1650 PC. "Looks like you already have all the information you're going to need, than..." you slowly say, feeling a bit nervous as Zoe puts the book back down and continues reading through it.

"What, are you kidding? Tell us more, heck, tell us everything! There's so much information we haven't found yet, and oh you wouldn't believe what some of the people in Mineta say about that apothecary you and Girars were treated in. I know you've only been there a few times but still, you must have heard or seen something, right?" Everyone, yourself and Zoe included, stare a bit dubiously at Grainne. Who again doesn't want to budge.

"I don't know about the rest of you, but I still want to know what happened to me, whether it involves Mastery or not," Girars says while looking at you. Grainne is still comfortably seated to listen in and take notes, but the rest of the group - even Reitz - has a dubious look on their face like they're asking themselves whether or not they want to stay here. You let out a sigh and say, "I suppose you have a right to know, but something I have to ask you first: Are you interested solely because you want to know what happened, or...?"

Girars shakes his head. "Only because I want to know what happened...well, and because I think I heard your voice in my head a few other times, after that attack, when you were nowhere near. A few other things as well, but...I'd rather not talk about that. Leene told me that those things might happen and not to worry about it, that it'd pass eventually, which it did, but I still want to know why. I'm not interested in learning to cast that spell myself, if that's what you're worried about."

You frown, but not because Grainne has already started taking notes. You frown because you can still clearly remember how you felt after you woke up from Leene's Embrace. Girars didn't experience it to quite the same extent as you did, but it seems like he got something for it all the same. "Honestly, Girars, there's not a whole lot I can say since Leene didn't tell me that much either. Still, if you really want to know, I think I can recommend a book or two that you can look up. Just...don't ask me how I know about them."

Girars nods, and a not-so-quiet outburst of frustration from Zoe aside you're able to list the relevant titles without a problem. With that information the group gets up and walks off, but it looks like Tacito, Zoe and Gwendy split off from it shortly after leaving the Great Hall. Reitz still follows, but with all that doubt written all over his face you doubt he'll keep following for long. Either way you're definitely going to be the next topic of [Character]Character/Female/Selection/Rikildis von Kiep' school paper, but Girars will be able to find the information he wants, so you think you did the right thing regardless.
--- +1 Character Study ---

 

"I wouldn't mind telling you, Girars, but your group here...I don't think everyone needs to know."

[Character]Character/Female/Selection/Grainne Inneith frowns, impatiently tapping her quill against the parchment. "Hey, we've all teamed up to find this information and we've all put forth our best effort, so I think we all deserve what we've struggled to reach."

You stare dubiously at Grainne, and slowly turn to look at [Character]Character/Male/Selection/Tacito Viadana. "On a scale of one to ten, how truthful was that statement?"

Grainne glares at Tacito, but he's not intimidated. "As far as I've heard, try a four. Grainne has apparently found a large number of rumors surrounding the apothecary that in some manner could supposedly be of use, but she hasn't shared any of them. The only thing she's done that I can verify is talk to Professor [instructor]Instructor/Selection of Instructor/Contzel Ringraeyer, and that wasn't anything but a dismal failure."

"She didn't know anything in the first place, so it's not like I cost you anything." Grainne says, sounding a bit offended, not to mention defensive.

"In that case I think it's fair to say that, visibly, your contributions amount to costing us nothing, whatever that would translate to on a one-to-ten point scale," [Character]Character/Male/Selection/Reitz von Lutersee notes.

"Regardless," you say before Grainne can continue trying (and failing) to defend herself, "I don't think all of you need to know what personal matters [Character]Character/Male/Selection/Girars de Periarde is curious about, and I definitely don't think that the school newspaper, of all things, needs to know. So, Girars, if you know of a place where we could talk privately, I'd be happy to tell you what little I know."

"I know where we could talk without being disturbed, at least, but with Grainne already on the case here..." Girars says, looking at Grainne a bit defeated.

"Oh come on, you're talking about sharing juicy and secret information right in front of me. How am I supposed to take that if not as an invitation? Besides, maybe Girars doesn't mind if it's printed in the school newspaper, I mean it might be of help to someone! Did you ever think about that?"

You look at Girars, and he shrugs. "It's not like people haven't been talking about me already, myself included, in fact, so...I suppose for me it wouldn't change anything."

"Well I'd prefer if word didn't spread, especially considering how [Character]Character/Female/Selection/Rikildis von Kiep is undoubtedly going to present it."

Girars actually nods in understanding, and while Grainne tries to be reassuring she's quickly called a liar by pretty much everyone in response. "Fine," she admits with a superior smirk, "but you can't expect me to just listen to this and not do anything-"

"Not do anything about what, if I may ask?"

Everyone - even [Character]Character/Female/Selection/Zoe Melis - turns around and looks at Regent [instructor]Instructor/Selection of Instructor/Finus Piaxenza suddenly walking up to your group from out of nowhere...although doing a quick headcount it seems that you're one short. Where did [Character]Character/Female/Selection/Gwendy Zuyder run off to?

All the confidence that Grainne had a moment ago has faded, instead she's looking at the Regent with a bit of a pale face, particularly because that question was directed at her. "I, eh, well, professor, I mean, Girars and I-no, eh, Girars and [Character]Character/Self were discussing an unimportant matter, and..." Grainne stops when she realizes that the regent isn't buying her story - what little of it she can piece together - at all. "Grainne," he says with a calm voice, "if you're going to lie straight to my face, at least form complete sentences. It's difficult to convince people of what you're saying, otherwise. Now, I believe that your business here is concluded?" Grainne nods, and very slowly stands up and walks off, taking a full two minutes before she's finally stepped out the Great Hall.

Tacito thanks his regent for the help, which is a complement he takes in stride while he looks over the stack of books piled on top of the table. Mumbling to himself, he states the titles of a few of them. "The Noble Houses of Mineta, Uncommon Predators and How to Avoid Them...Legal Failures of the Empire - The Glamour-aided Sheltering of Mastery? How did they even...that should have been kept in the Restricted Section." The regent looks at Reitz and says, "Reitz, I think poor Zoe here has studied enough for one day. Please, help her carry the books back to the library, would you? And, Tacito, would you mind assisting the librarian on staff with finding out how this particular book," he says pointing at Legal Failures of the Empire, "got incorrectly filed?"

Tacito nods in understanding, as does Reitz, and, somehow, in less time than it took for Grainne to slowly walk out of the Great Hall, the three of them have packed up all the books and left for the Venalicium, leaving just you and Girars in this quiet corner of the Great Hall as the regent excuses himself. Girars seems to attempt to sputter out a thanks before he leaves, but fails to do so. And when you stare at him with the obvious question written all over your face, he lets out a sigh. "Why did Gwendy help me there? I mean, she's the one that sneaked off and fetched the regent, right? She wasn't here when he showed up."

"True, but honestly, Girars? I'm going to assume her decision has significantly less to do with you and significantly more to do with Reitz. Or Grainne. Or anyone else who might have blackmail on Gwendy or someone Gwendy is currently interested in. Either way I think we'd be better of just not questioning it and taking the bone she's thrown us, regardless of why she did." Girars heartily nods, and for the first time since you've seen him sitting at that table, he relaxes a bit. "So, about what happened, what did you want to know?"

"Well, for starters..."
--- +1 Intrigue ---

 

"I suppose you'll find out sooner or later anyway, so sure, ask away."

[Character]Character/Female/Selection/Grainne Inneith looks very pleased with your answer, and you immediately regret your decision. Particularly as you remember how you had to convince Leene to tell you the details after your treatment (as easy as that was), because she "couldn't simply go around and talk about it". This might have been a bad idea.

"So, for starters, just what spell did you cast on [Character]Character/Male/Selection/Girars de Periarde?"

You shrug. "I don't know the name of it, if it even has one official name. I knew how to cast it because I saw Leene cast it on me, and, well, that's how I...kinda, sorta knew how to make it work, too."

Grainne frowns. "Really? You cast a spell that you don't even know the name of?"

You nod, and Grainne looks at [Character]Character/Female/Selection/Zoe Melis, who slowly looks up from her book and sighs. "If I had found it I would have told you," she says a bit bitterly.

"Just a note, but when I said 'if it even has one official name' I was referring to the fact that it's probably gone through a few name changes over the centuries. I wouldn't know when and why, though." The cold, soulless expression that Zoe has on her tells you that your theory is likely correct. Mental note: Ask Leene later just what that spell is actually called, anyway.

"Regardless," Grainne cheerfully says as she returns to her "interviewing" position, "so what does that spell actually do? I've heard a number of stories from people supposedly 'in the know', from Zoe and even Girars himself, but I've not heard a story that's consistent."

Again, you shrug. "I don't exactly know how the spell works myself, either, or how to explain what it does. All I did was I re-direct any sense of pain Girars otherwise would have felt when Gwendy, eh, 'took care of him', so to speak. Oh, and I shielded my own mind from it so I wouldn't be crippled instead of him, of course, but that isn't anything special, really."

"That's 'all you did'?" Grainne asks with a very peculiar look on her face, "That's not something that any of us could do and there's three people from Hedi sitting around this table, including Zoe Melis for goodness' sake! You've got to know more about how-"

Grainne's question (assuming that was going to be an actual question) is cut short as Girars motions her to silence, which is one of those rare gestures that, surprisingly enough, she actually listens to. "[Character]Character/Self, I understand now that for the most part that's what you did, and that controlling that spell likely wasn't the same for you as we might control a Revision, if that makes sense. But what you did there, that wasn't all I experienced. Hearing your voice pulled me out of some...bizarre nightmare of sorts, I can't really explain what it was or wasn't, and I...well, that one incident wasn't the end of it. Of me hearing your voice in my head, I mean."

You can't help but shake your head at that, especially because Grainne seems to be writing it all down. Not that you're going to escape that at this point, anyway. "First off, Girars, that bizarre nightmare wasn't my doing, the beast did that to you. I went through the same thing and, yeah, it felt weird, believe me, I know. As for you apparently hearing my voice at later points, when did that happen?"

Girars looks at Grainne a bit nervously, but continues on regardless. "Once in Revision class, once or twice when I was visiting the kitchen to try and convince the staff to, well, I'm sure you can guess what, once when I was visiting Professor [instructor]Instructor/Selection of Instructor/William Vickery in his office, asking a few questions about a Botany homework assignment, and a few other times when I was just walking through a hallway or reading a book in my room. More often than not you weren't anywhere near me when that happened, and the few times you were you didn't seem like you were doing anything. Well, nothing to enter my mind again, I mean. At least, I think..."

"To be more specific, [Character]Character/Self," [Character]Character/Male/Selection/Tacito Viadana adds, "I've found out that the only time you were around when Girars noticed your voice was on two separate occasions in the hallway. The incident in Revision class took place during a make-up test that you weren't present for, incidentally."

"How did you find that out?" you curiously ask, feeling a little more nervous than you did before.

"I have my ways," Tacito answers as cryptically as possible, because of course he would.

"Ways called [Character]Character/Female/Selection/Gwendy Zuyder and her mastery of Astrology," Gwendy proudly adds.

You look at Tacito, and he shrugs. "I didn't say my ways were secret," he drily notes, ignoring the fact that something he doesn't reveal generally can count as a "secret". Although if nothing else you suppose that if it was a secret it didn't stay that way for very long.

"Anyway," Girars says a bit impatiently, "[Character]Character/Self, why did I keep hearing your voice even after that incident? I mean Leene told me that might happen and to ignore it, that'd it go away eventually which it did, but why did it happen?"

Once again, you shrug. "Girars, I just copied what Leene (perhaps unintentionally) showed me, I don't know all the details. And since I know you're going to ask, yes, I also had the same thing happen to me, with...hearing Leene's voice and all, in a way. It just kinda passed for me as well, so I don't know."

"So, just for future reference, how often and in how many ways do you people end up hearing other people's voices in your head?" Tacito asks a bit perplexed.

"Far too often," you and Girars answer simultaneously.

"Well I guess that confirms you don't know as much about your own magic as you should, but..." Grainne says with a dramatic pause, for whatever reason, "I've also asked around town about that apothecary and man, some of the rumors people spread about that place are just insane. Insanely juicy, that is! And speaking of, [Character]Character/Self, a little bird - and not one called [Character]Character/Male/Selection/Reitz von Lutersee in case you're wondering - told me that you've actually visited that apothecary a few times recently, and seemingly without buying anything or having any other injuries treated. Oh and there's the time when you had to stay there overnight for 'observation' while Girars was free to leave after a few hours, and-"

"If you don't mind, Grainne, could I just 'expose' [Character]Character/Self the quick way and at least leave [Character]Character/Self with some sense of dignity, assuming that your pet theory is actually true?" Tacito asks.

"Could you, I don't know, maybe not expose me and let me keep my dignity that way? I've answered Girars' questions as best I could, right?" you say a bit nervously. Grainne naturally shakes her head as cheerfully as you've ever seen her, and while a few others at the table toss her a frown in response she (and Reitz, it seems like) don't want to back down. Though despite that, they only appear to be staring at you really intently. After a very awkward moment you slowly ask, "So, eh, are you two going to, like, do something, or...?"

"We're...not enrolled in Negation," Reitz shamefully admits, "So that Glamoured tattoo or whatever that may or may not be on your wrist? Yeah. Zoe might have found out about it during out extended reading expedition through the Venalicium, but...we don't know how to dispel it. At least, no one who'd care to dispel it knows how to dispel it, since last I checked of this group only Tacito and Girars are in Negation."

"Doesn't matter, I've got enough to work with anyway, I'll just fill in the blanks as needed," Grainne says as she stands up and walk off.

"I can appreciate challenging the unknown when out hunting," Gwendy says, "but somehow I don't think Grainne was acting in perfectly good faith, there."

As everyone else nods in agreement you just hang your head in shame, already dreading what the school newspaper is going to say about you...
--- +1 Stress, +1 Storytelling, +1 relationship with Grainne ---

 

"I can't speak about this any more than Leene can, especially because I'm very much aware of who is sitting around this table...but I could possibly offer a hint in return for some quality gossip protection."

[Character]Character/Male/Selection/Reitz von Lutersee actually smiles. "So, information in return for a favor? I think I can leverage that, though I'd of course have to verify your information's authenticity first. No worries, though, I have my ways to do that quickly and discreetly."

"Absolutely not!" [Character]Character/Female/Selection/Grainne Inneith suddenly barks out, "I've already secured exclusive rights to this story, and whatever juicy info gets dug up is going to be plastered all over [Character]Character/Female/Selection/Rikildis von Kiep' newsletter like you wouldn't believe! That's what you promised me in return for my aid in digging up this information, Reitz, and woe unto thee if you don't hold up your end of that bargain."

"To be fair, with the catastrophic failure that was you talking to Professor [instructor]Instructor/Selection of Instructor/Contzel Ringraeyer you haven't really contributed much," [Character]Character/Female/Selection/Gwendy Zuyder says.

"What about all the information I dug up from Mineta? You don't even know what kind of stuff people are saying about that apothecary!"

"Indeed we don't, because so far you haven't told any of us any of it," [Character]Character/Male/Selection/Girars de Periarde says with a deadpan voice.

"Of course not! How else am I supposed to assure exclusive rights to this story?"

"Not shouting about it in the Great Hall would probably be a start," [Character]Character/Male/Selection/Tacito Viadana says, sounding even more deadpan than Girars. And that, finally, is a good enough reason to Grainne to sit down and stop raising her voice. "Fine, fine, I guess you got me there, but I was promised exclusive publishing rights by Reitz and I'm going to get it whether you guys like it or not. There's always more room in the school paper if you guys feel like one story isn't enough."

"I don't suppose focussing the story on the apothecary staff will do?" Reitz says with a sigh, and sure enough Girars pretty much immediately pipes up with, "They don't deserve that."

"Neither do I," you note, "I played my part in...well, perhaps not 'saving your life', but that beast wouldn't have made your comfortable I can tell you that."

"Well, okay, what if I put a positive spin to it?" Grainne suggests. "Publish the story and all the juicy details, but...phrase it like they're good things."

"Unless you don't particularly value the health and safety of your fellow students, Grainne, they are good things. Girars and I might not have died, but that doesn't mean we'd necessarily still be here, or in one piece. I assume Zoe's researched the beast, so I'm sure you already know about what it can do. What it did, even."

"I'm not in Zoology for nothing," [Character]Character/Female/Selection/Zoe Melis notes as she casually points to one of the books lazily forming haphazard towers to her side. Uncommon Predators and How to Avoid Them, the title of one of them reads.

"Okay, so exactly how close to death or not-death or whatever would Girars and [Character]Character/Self have been if it weren't for the apothecary staff?" Grainne asks, drawing frowns all around in the process. Naturally, she doesn't back down. Rather than answer her question Zoe pulls out one of the books, finds the right page, and shoves it in front of Grainne. She glares at Zoe for a bit, but the latter doesn't pay Grainne any attention as she goes right back to reading through the book in front of her. Actually, "books". There's still two of them. Grainne quickly skims through the book Zoe gave her, and after a minute she looks up from it and says, "Fine, fine, I guess you have a point. Okay, so a positive story about you and the apothecary staff, with all juicy details included. Now will you please agree to help us out?"

You look at Reitz, and he says that that's the best you're going to get out of Grainne, which you unfortunately know is true. Well, you made a deal, time to hold up your end of the bargain. "As I said I can't tell you anything myself, but I happen to know that Professor [instructor]Instructor/Selection of Instructor/William Vickery is at least somewhat informed about it." This seems to confuse the group, as Grainne and Reitz both turn to look at Tacito for answers. Why they turn to him and not to you escapes you.

"Professor Vickery? I've heard that it was through him that you ended up meeting that beast, and I've also heard that it was Professor Vickery who personally left the Academagia to check on your condition after word reached us about what happened, but I wasn't aware that he personally knew about the apothecary and it's staff. At least, not that personally."

"I'll go check," Reitz says as he stands up and walks off, returning only a few minutes later. "My sources say this information is accurate, so I do believe that [Character]Character/Self has held up [Character]Character/Self end of the bargain, and Professor Vickery is currently tending to the gardens, so lets to follow up on that lead. Don't mess this up, Grainne." The rest of the group nod and walk off, only Girars giving you a last sort of look before leaving the Great Hall and walking out of sight. Hopefully, nothing bad will come of this...
--- +1 Social Skills ---

 

I had originally planned to have actual rolls here and have failure do stuff like add a Cloud of Suspicion or even a Black Cloud, but I ultimately decided against it. Reason being is that it wouldn't make sense to have that happen when this event fires as opposed to when An Outing... actually ends, and while you could argue that it simply took time for the rumor to really spread and for enough dirt to be dug up for people to believe it, that probably wouldn't take months even if this event decides not to fire until months after An Outing... ended.

 

Edited by Metis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two and a half months later, have another event.

 

Random Event Student - Asmita 2:

 

While doing some window shopping in the Admiratio you suddenly feel someone tab you on the shoulder. Turning around you see [Character]Character/Female/Selection/Asmita Tidar, who's being flanked by [Character]Character/Male/Selection/Girars de Periarde. Asmita looks amused, but Girars looks like he's got something to say (which is to say, he looks like he usually does).

"Sorry to bother you, [Character]Character/Self, but could you do a quick favor for the two of us?" Asmita politely asks.

"Depends, what favor?"

"We're going to have a cook-off," Asmita says while casually pointing to Girars. He, in turn, silently nods. "But we can't decide on which ingredient to mainly use, and we don't want anyone to get an unfair advantage, so we figured we'd ask a third party - what should we focus on for the cook-off?"

A bit of a strange question, you think, but not one you can't answer easily enough. Turning to Girars you ask, "I take it anything that involves meat is off-limits?"

"Obviously," he answers a bit aggressively. Is this personal, on some level? It doesn't seem to be for Asmita, at least.

"Yeah, I thought as much. In that case, how about you use..."

Carrots.

Girars seems to smile after hearing your suggestion. "Seems", because he's still got that competitive glint in his eyes. It makes it a bit difficult to tell.

"Carrots it is!" Asmita happily announces, apparently either not seeing or choosing to ignore Girars' reaction. "I know where to get a dozen carrots cheaply, so let's go. And thanks for the help, [Character]Character/Self."

"You're welcome," you say as you watch the two of them walk off.
--- +1 Relationship with Girars ---

 

Pumpkins.

"I mean, if you're going to have a cook-off, you should cook enough for people to enjo-eh-I mean, test, for taste and...stuff, right?"

"You're just fishing for a meal from us, aren't you?" Asmita, who sounds more amused than anything, slowly asks.

"Can you blame me?" you say as innocently as possible. Which is to say, not very.

"No," Asmita says with a superior smile. "The cook-off will take place in the Great Hall, in...give or take ten minutes. It shouldn't take longer to buy some pumpkins, I know where to find good ingredients, so I guess we'll see you there."

You nod and start slowly making your way back to the Academagia, already looking forward to a good meal.
--- +1 Manipulation ---

 

Potatoes.

"Potatoes go well with just about anything, so I figure that way the two of you can make a dish you're comfortable with without it becoming an unfair competition."

"Good thinking," [Character]Character/Female/Selection/Asmita Tidar says with a smile, and happily she announces that potatoes it is. [Character]Character/Male/Selection/Girars de Periarde seems annoyed at himself for not thinking of that before, but you're not concerned about that. He might seem like he's in a bad mood, especially compared to Asmita, but that's just how Girars is sometimes. More importantly, you make plans to see this cook-off yourself, later. You're curious as to what Asmita and Girars will end up making.
--- +1 Recipes ---

 

Really short and as simple as it's length, but I figure that after over two months of doing other stuff starting with something simple would be a good thing. Besides, an event or two that isn't out to kill you isn't a bad thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Feel free to add to it, if you have any events for a less than popular student.

 

Any suggestions which?

 

I am hoping to finish off two adventures first, but they've almost killed me so doing something shorter will be a relief!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cordelia Troublepot, actually. She currently only has one event to her name and she's one of those students you never really interact with unless you go out of your way to do so. At least that's the impression I got when first playing the game, with a Vernin kid who Cliqued her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cordelia Troublepot, actually. She currently only has one event to her name and she's one of those students you never really interact with unless you go out of your way to do so. At least that's the impression I got when first playing the game, with a Vernin kid who Cliqued her.

 

OK, I'll have a go. I may have to fire up an old save and try her adventure first though to get a handle on her dialogue, looking at the wiki it's one of the few I haven't tried.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, didn't have time to try an old game to get her dialogue so hopefully it isn't too bad.

 

 

 

Fixing the broken water fountain.

The minutes between lessons can be a major trial, sometimes classes are on opposite sides of the Academagia, some professors over-run, and others start on the dot even if no students have turned up. Today however your problem is slightly more simple, thirst. The canteen is on the other side of the Academagia, and the water there can taste funny sometimes. The enchanted pixie fountain is currently off limits until a professor can settle whatever the pixie’s are fighting over. Which leaves the artificer’s fountain, one of the few entirely non-magical fountains in the grounds being instead powered and operating entirely through engineering techniques. And now it is broken, when you get to it there is a small group of students standing around Cordelia Cobblepot who appears to be trying to fix it.

 

“Look” says Cordelia, sounding like she’s explained herself a dozen times already, “magic won’t work on the fountain mechanisms, they are specifically enchanted to resist magic as the artificers knew that otherwise students would interfere with the fountains mechanisms, any magic put on the fountain would fade in moments. The problem must be a mechanical fault, and have a mechanical solution.”

 

Which actually sounds fairly reasonable. You don’t know Cordelia well, but from what you hear she’s pretty good at this engineering stuff, and maybe if you actually give her a hand, instead of gawping aimlessly like the other students, you might get a drink before you have to dash for class after-all.

 

Option 1. Meh, just go find another fountain.

Automatic: One water fountain is much like another, you can’t hang around hoping that Cordelia fixes it, you have to get to class, and if you are quick you should be able to get to another fountain and still get to class in time.

-1 Curiosity ss, +1 Patience ss, end random event.

 

Option 2. Give Cordelia a hand! [seeking friends in hidden places v 3]

Success: “Hi Cordelia, need a hand?” You say in a cheery tone. Cordelia looks up and smiles, “Yes please, it’s a bit fiddly with all the pieces but if you could hold that clip..there…back with this rod while I use my pliers to twist…this..” you follow her instructions and after a few twists and fiddles with the fountain you hear a cheery gurgle in the pipe, and when it is pumped the water fountain starts pumping again. “Well done, thanks for helping me with that” says Cordelia after taking a drink, “most people around here don’t seem to have a clue what to do if they can’t just revise a problem away! Feeling a bit better about yourself you head off, always good to do a favour you think, you never know when you’ll need one yourself.

+1 relationship Cordelia Troublepot, +1 Seeking friends in hidden places ss, end RE

Failure: “Hi Cordelia, need a hand?” You say in a cheery tone. Cordelia looks up and smiles, “Yes please, it’s a bit fiddly with all the pieces but if you could hold that clip..there…back with this rod while I use my pliers to twist…this..” You try to follow her instructions but she keeps using words and phrases like “apply torque” and “rachet mechanism” and after a few fruitless minutes Cordelia smiles wanly and says “thanks for trying…but I’d work better on my own I’m afraid. Yeah, you’d figured that out too. Seeing you downcast Cordelia smiles “but thanks for trying though, with a little practice you’d be handy.”

-1 engineering ss, +1 Seeking friends in hidden places ss, end RE

 

Option 3. See if you can figure out what is wrong with the fountain. [Engineering v 4]

Success: The fountain is purely mechanical, so you figure it should be straightforward enough to figure out. The water must be pumped from somewhere you figure, and the obvious place is one of the rain reservoirs that collect rainwater falling on the roof. Looking outside the corridor you see one, and it has a pipe running towards the corridor.

 

Heading out to the rain reservoir you see a ladder built onto the side leading to a door, no doubt a maintenance hatch you think. Climbing the ladder is easy, and the door turns out not to be locked. Looking down into the water with a quick light spell shows the problem, at the bottom of the tank is a dark shape of some description blocking the pipe.

 

Pulling out the shape you find that it is an old robe of some sort, and when you get back to the fountain you see that it is working again. Taking the sodden robe Cordelia sniffs, “typical, nobody takes care around mechanical devices you know, there's no respect for craftsmanship. Well done for checking the rain reservoir, good thinking!”

+1 relationship Cordelia Troublepot, +1 engineering ss, end RE.

Failure: A mechanical fountain needs a physical source of water you think. Looking outside doesn’t however give you much clue where the water might come from as you can’t see a pipe. Which makes sense you think as if it ran above ground someone would probably trip over it.

 

As you are looking around Cordelia pushes past you, “Aha!” She says “A rainwater reservoir! Of course!” Marching forward Cordelia climbs a ladder on the side of a tower and disappears into a small door. A few moments later she emerges triumphantly carrying a sodden robe. “The water inlet was blocked, the fountain should work now.”

 

Right, well hopefully people don’t notice that you tried to help and failed to do anything...

-1 engineering ss, end RE

 

Option 4. Water? Someone fiddling with a fountain that’s already broken, while surrounded by other students, oh the opportunities… [Practical jokes v 3]

Success: Oh come now, I mean really, they are just begging for you to do it… Cordelia Troublepot is fiddling with the top of the fountain, while Amada Kiffer, Cosetta Re, and Catherine Chard are gathered nearby obviously hoping for a drink when the fountain is fixed.

 

Cordelia marches outside muttering something about “the water inlet must be blocked.” Taking the opportunity you walk forward and fiddle with the fountain a bit. Hearing the pipes abruptly gurgle you realise that Cordelia has fixed whatever the problem was with the water flow you cast a quick revision to close the pipe, knowing the spell will fade in a few moments, and call to the girls that the fountain is fixed and then beat a hasty retreat. The shrieks from Amada and Cosetta and the death-glare from Catherine when the spell collapses and the fountain sprays water everywhere is priceless…

+3 relationship Vettor , -1 relationship Cosseta Re, -1 relationship Amada Kiffer, -1 relationship Catherine Chard, +1 playfulness ss.

Failure: Oh come now, I mean really, they are just begging for you to do it… Cordelia Troublepot is fiddling with the top of the fountain, while Amada Kiffer, Cosetta Re, and Catherine Chard are gathered nearby obviously hoping for a drink when the fountain is fixed.

 

Cordelia walks outside muttering something about water inlets and you seize the opportunity. Nonchalantly walking to the fountain you take a look, mutter something you hope is credible about ‘faucets’ and ‘washers’ and fiddle with a few bits and bobs while considering how best to booby trap the fountain to spray water everywhere when Cordelia gets it working again. There is a sudden gurgle when you twist a doohickey and to your surprise a small stream of water arcs from the spout. “Oh, you fixed it!” Says Amada, “well done!” You grin as though you had actually intended to fix it while your planned victims drink and leave and find that you feel vaguely cheated by events. “Well done” says Cordelia, “at least there’s one other student who isn’t a total idiot with their hands, you should join me in the foundry after class sometime, I could show you a few things I’ve picked up.”

-1 playfulness ss, +1 relationship Cordelia Troublepot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0