Black Chicken Studios Forums

The 2015 FORBIDDEN Magic Discussion!

No, I don't recall that event. I...vaguely remember running into it once, years ago, maybe, but...I got nothing. I'll look for it in the mod tools, in any case.

And at least one item that teaches you Gates isn't illegal - the Candies of the Gnawing Void.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Candies arn't illegal? Thought they were.... humm, well... Maybe I should start mass producing them! Start a factory even!

Candy for the Orphanages.

Anyway, Mastery got more than one defence agaisnt Mastery itself. Beyond that you got Negation and insight.

I Think my Mastery parrent skill was a Raw 11 when I did that and I Think it might have shown as as a blue option.

So I'm guessing that Little parlortrick wasn't the easiest to pull off. But it was very informative.

No, I don't recall that event. I...vaguely remember running into it once, years ago, maybe, but...I got nothing. I'll look for it in the mod tools, in any case.

And at least one item that teaches you Gates isn't illegal - the Candies of the Gnawing Void.

Fairly sure this one was new in DLC 16 and isn't viewable in modtools.

I know, right? I don't bother looking for errors in it anymore because I have no Idea if it's since been corrected. Even though the final update is 'final' I still will be scouring for errors when the final modtools are released. I bet there will be a minor patch for Y1 some time after DLC 17 if for no other reason than to patch the few remaining typos that we'll find.

Oh definitely. Especially as people look into the mod base and find all the DLC 16 errors that flew over their heads because checking it ingame is just not as easy. Mostly, though, I'm looking forward to being able to mod the modbase with my personal modifications and playing the game with them. I just hope that it doesn't break Y2 importing. That'd be all kinds of unfortunate...

I prefer not to mod anything beyond adding a few flavour adventures.... I don't know if that makes me strange for wanting custom adventures. I got this Familiar schooladventure. And a stUdy adventure, inside a an interesting old sealed off studying cubicle... that got sealed off for some reason... (Not due to proscribed magic, but it was set aside for special reasons and forgotten about and lost in bureacracy. )

And Another involving a hidden lab in the Palace basement with faded enchantment wards, that were supposed to keep people out....

The modtools stopped working and they are still kind of rough and would have needed a few fixes Before "publishing". The copies I got as just for personal use due to that.

If Y2 has a mod tool then I might make it available if I get around to it and it lives up to my expectations on quality, once I'm done with it :P . It had a few typos and did some stupid looping but worked otherwise. Could use some reward balancing aswell.

I finally got a play through where I acquired the order pheme. The Master spell is... horrifically pleasing to cast. I shudder to think how it would feel in real life. I noticed that my list of targets was rather short, so I assume you need to be informed of a student to be able to do the deed.. I'm curious why that is...

On a slight tangent, has anyone ever figured out anything regarding re-obtaining confiscated items? I looked in all locations that might logically have it (that I could access), after intentionally losing the book of deep shadows and my best guesses involve it being in a location tied to the confiscator, or possibly somehow on their person. If its truly hardcoded in the game's code the its possible to turn up in the damnedest place. Sadly Massioti took it and I don't have easy access to his related locations and to my knowledge no actions actually reference instructors unless you're talking about relations with them.

Also the professor's lounge location unlock data on the wiki is almost certainly out of date. I remember vaguely accessing it once via adventure or random event but it's been too long. in either case I'm sure that handwriting analysis doesn't unlock it because I always get that up while studying at the venalicium and I don't have that location unlocked at atll.

I finally got a play through where I acquired the order pheme. The Master spell is... horrifically pleasing to cast. I shudder to think how it would feel in real life. I noticed that my list of targets was rather short, so I assume you need to be informed of a student to be able to do the deed.. I'm curious why that is...

On a slight tangent, has anyone ever figured out anything regarding re-obtaining confiscated items? I looked in all locations that might logically have it (that I could access), after intentionally losing the book of deep shadows and my best guesses involve it being in a location tied to the confiscator, or possibly somehow on their person. If its truly hardcoded in the game's code the its possible to turn up in the damnedest place. Sadly Massioti took it and I don't have easy access to his related locations and to my knowledge no actions actually reference instructors unless you're talking about relations with them.

Also the professor's lounge location unlock data on the wiki is almost certainly out of date. I remember vaguely accessing it once via adventure or random event but it's been too long. in either case I'm sure that handwriting analysis doesn't unlock it because I always get that up while studying at the venalicium and I don't have that location unlocked at atll.

I'm not sure why, same with formal invitation.

In the case of Formal invitation you might need to use the right Words.

In the case of Master, it could be that you need to plann it and set it up, and there might be a range requierment or line of sight. Meaning you might need to know the targets habits and where to Catch them long enough so snare them with your spell. doing it in their dorm room might not be an option.... Just guessing here.

Long duration mastery spells probably take some effort, least for novice first years.

The one short duration mastery spell I could use in that event with the goblin requiered massive skill I Believe, and it was very limited.

As far as I know there's no actual way to get back confiscated items, they're just removed from the game or added to an inventory that either doesn't exist or the player can never access.

For the Professor Lounge, it used to be that Decipher Handwriting gave out it's location, even Visitation rights at rank 10 I've heard, but for whatever reason that's been removed. I also remember that there exists a random event that reveals the location...though I have no idea what it's called. I think it's one of the Awesome Community ones and there's only like 50-some of those, so yeah.

And as for Master...yeah. Welcome to power. It'll be even better in later years when we can specify exactly what actions we want out puppets to do rather than just suggest ideas, but for now...

The Legate hinted that it's out there(The confiscated items) But we havn't found it. Whatever that means. Maybe a hidden inventory for later ears, or maybe, there is a bug preventing us from finding it as we supposeed to be able to.

I can't say I've ever found an item that was confiscated, though than again I can't say I've ever not reloaded when I've had something taken away. Reason being that, as far as I know, there's no way to get those items back.

My guess would be either stored at one of the...what, 100+ locations in the game or in an inventory we can't access. Or maybe it's bugged and it doesn't actually work, that could also be true.

There should be an adventure imo, that's activated once you loose an object whatever it is. even if it's just taken because it's anoying the teachers. It soudned like very large cluncky objects that we lacked the skill to conceal could be taken just beacuse they were anoying the teachers. So it wouldn't have to be an illegal item.

So, where do confiscated items go? It would be the ultimate adventure using your wits, skills, bribery and other unusual approaches against the faculty.

The Legate has confirmed on a number of occasions that you actually can reclaim your stuff somehow. It's a little shaky as to whether it will still be there for you in future years but it is supposed to still work.

Personally, I think the legate should tell us, if for no other reason than to keep us from having to fool around reloading or some fool thing. Personally the risk of getting something taken away with no hope of getting it back means that I am simply not going to equip it. Perhaps it is what the team feels is most proper play and together with their patented brand of secrecy I'm not too surprised about it, but I really would like a hint. It would get me playing again, for sure. Right now I'm just playing my old saves on the glitched post-game summer months over and over trying to solve a few mysteries because it's easier to do with a completed character.

I'd be mad if the way to reclaim stuff was bugged and we never knew because of the secrecy. Real mad. Though it's pretty unlikely.

In other completely unrelated news, my car needed new lugnuts in an ongoing repair and replacement campaign after a tire flew off on the highway. Crazy stuff.

A hint or at least confirmation that, yes, it does work in DLC 16 would be nice. Personally I can't be bothered to experiment, but than I also have other things to work on (the Arithmetic adventure is not one of them, but the delay thereof is related!) and I'd never accept a reprimand with my stuff being confiscated anyway. Of course not that that ever happens in the first place since I tend not to carry around illegal stuff anyway

Yeah, I hear you. It's kind of a non-issue for most of us. It's just that it would make it easier to play.

I spent enough time on writing Mr. Pebble's adventure that I have no interest in doing anything more for Y1 this late in the game. Most of my story ideas are better suited for Y2 anyway, so I'm just waiting, and snarking, until the day Y2 is finally in my hands. My main Y2 saves are already in my hands, though I may make yet another one once DLC 17 comes out. I know I can still improve on what I last did.

One thing I can say from the mod tools is that instructors don't have an inventory defined, whereas students do, so they probably don't keep it on their person. Well, they don't mechanically in a way that would open them up to theoretical thievery actions. So they either hand them to other students to keep in their inventories (which I very, very strongly doubt, although I suppose maybe other students could steal stuff from the instructors first?), they drop them off at specific/random locations (good luck), or they bring it to a shop of some kind (which, again, I doubt).

I'd also rather be typing for Y2, but for that I'll need to know how Y2 mechanics work (I ran into that problem like...4 times?) and having the Y2 mod tools would likewise be a good thing. Besides, there's a few adventures still missing from Y1. The real question is whether they'll be accepted. One of them is questionable enough on one or two points, but the other one is just...what the heck. Had to use it, though. Too much potential.

Archived