Black Chicken Studios Forums

The 2015 FORBIDDEN Magic Discussion!

I'm pretty sure every school (and every discipline that was politicked out of being a school) has their own history to go with it, in which case subskills for Sync and Master alone wouldn't make sense. It's probably better to lump the history in their respective Theory skills (which for Sync would be Theory of Mastery).

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The reason for giving Mastery and arguably Gates their own History trees, would be because they have likely been censored out of the History of magic being given only mentions in passing, removign the juicy parts.

History of magic: Saved the day with incantation and Negation, common tacticcs, spells and phemes in this historical event, major players of accepted background. Mastery and Gates played a role on the fringe and stood for all that which was wrong in the World, avoid Mastery and Gates! It's the Law!

History of Mastery: While the incantation and Negation wizards protected the the Town utilising powerboosts from Enchanted guardposts the Mastery wizards claimed Control of the servants of the dragon army, and our greatest among us even claimed Control of a few lesser dragons to aid our cause and brought chaos into the ranks of the dragons, causing confusion, taking Control and turning the Dragons on each other bringing an end to the initially perfect tactics of the dragon forces.

History of Gates: While the lesser wizards were foolishly atempting to fight an almost endless army with flasy Little bolts of lightning, those of us gifted in real magic devoured large swathes of the dragon armies by opening gates to the plane of fire or teleported whole batalions off the edge of the Island effectively ending the threat of the dragons to the empire of man.

History of Magic: Later the pillars of Mastery and Gates were banned due to the dangers they presented to wizard and mundane alike. Their importance to history is minimal except for the countless examples of evil comitted by their practitioners, serving as warnings to all of mankind.

I would imagine there is more history to it than can or should be covered in the Theory.

On a side note, it seems that it's been decided that both Mastery and Gates will practitioners mentaly sick and evil. I tend to think it should be a choice and originate from choices and experiences rather than magical derangement. Sounds like of like Reaper indoctrination from Mass Effect :P

Can't say I'm a fan of that.

Or maybe the forces involved are just very strong and hard for ordinary people lacking proper training to handle it. Insufficient willpower etz.

Considering the fact that The Middle Empire 11 Informs you of Theory of Mastery, and the fact that you can get +1 Middle Empire Max from Professor Viada, I'm going to guess that the presentation of Gates and Mastery isn't quite that one-sided. Especially because that same professor, if you're in his class or get enough Favor, will happily teach you the first 10 ranks you also need to reach 11.

The Adventure that involved the Legate, pirates, Ilaro, The Black Rose and the Captain seems to have some information to be foudn in *spoiler* Cirilio's student adventure, didn't notice it Before, maybe i did a different set of picks.

He isn't on my usual list of students either. But it really does Implicate Orso Orsi to use all kinds of shadowy Connections to get what he wants.... So... I wonder why he bothered with that staff to begin with.

Illaro = gates wizard... he did teleport the PC.... Is he a Blackrose/thivesguild/Black Falcon Coster aswell?

Archived