Black Chicken Studios Forums

On characters, modding, and balance (or lack thereof)

Metis

Wasn't entire sure where to post this since it covers multiple topics, but, eh, here'll work. Probably. Maybe. Anyway, while slowly working on new adventures for DLC 17 (ETA: Probably before Y2 but I promise nothing) I've also been doing some planning for my characters - all seven of them, one for each College, though I make no promises I'll use them all, of course. Now come DLC 17 and an updated modbase, meaning the opportunity to mod DLC-specific things through modding shenanigans, I plan on doing some serious modding to the Character Creation process to attempt to hopefully make it better. Better how? By making the following changes and imposing the following rules:

-Characters start with 10 Background points as normal, but (through a large set of generic, throwaway background which otherwise do nothing and can hopefully be "removed" by the Y2 save converter) are given access to an additional 7 Background Points free of charge that can/should/must (honor system :)!) be spend on raising attributes. The limit of raising attributes to a maximum of 3 on the Talent screen will be circumvented through more throwaway backgrounds increased to 5, meaning that one can have one attribute at 5 and one at 4, or one can start the game with straight 2's in all attributes, or something in between.

-All vanilla backgrounds, meaning any that don't exist explicitly to circumvent the Talent Screen limitations, will never hand out an attribute point directly. Shattered Mirrors will not raise Intelligence, Centre of Attention will not increase Charm, even the Platypus' little pre-Juvenalia adventure will not increase Luck. Characters get +7 attributes for free at the start of CC, but that's all they get. Backgrounds that used to hand out attributes may or may not hand out a skill level or two instead, I've not yet decided on those specifics, but for the moment it's assumed that they don't.

This is to prevent the trend where every character forever has one or more of Comet/Shattered Mirrors/Centre of Attention/Sports/Artisans of Skill/Spy/etc. because of the attribute points they give. It's one problem that was very, very prominent when planning for those seven characters. Yeah, I could have gone out of my way to avoid it by gimping my characters, but that wasn't an accepted solution. Instead the above rules were devised, and they seemed to work out. However, while planning the same problem showed up again - literally every character had at least one of Athletics/Charming and Sly/Cuteness/Masterful Mind, again because of the attribute points the Familiar got from them, as opposed to the other 14-some backgrounds in those two lines which didn't. So, more planned modding ensued to enforce some more rules:

-All Familiar Escapades and Familiar Training backgrounds are modded to provide two attribute points to the character's Familiar - one that is keyed to a Bond subskill (Fitness/Intelligence/Luck for Iron/Silver/Stars) and one that is not keyed to any Bond subskill (Finesse/Charm/Strength/Insight). One combination of each Bond/not Bond Attribute combination shall exist that will cost only 1 Background point (total such backgrounds: 12).

-One background shall be modded to increase all three Bond attributes by 1 and all Bond subskills by 2, but shall cost 2 Background points (Town and Familiar, which had it's normal effects nerfed, but not removed entirely).

-One background shall be added (Familiar Training: Discovering the Gift) that increases all seven Attributes of the Familiar, at the cost of 3 Background Points. This background will do nothing more, or less, than that (for people who think that 3×2=7 = great deal, no. Controlled increased are better, I've found).

-All remaining Escapades/Training backgrounds that have not yet been re-purposed (7 of them) will be modded to increase two non-Bond attributes. No such backgrounds shall increase the same two attributes as another, and no two backgrounds shall increase the same attribute by two as another.

(Full list:)

-------------
ALL/MULTIPLE:
-------------

(BONDABLE)
Familiar Escapade: Town and Familiar (cost 2 points)
Player Bonuses : +1 random location in The City of Mineta, 40 Pims
Familiar Bonuses: +1 Fitness, +1 Intelligence, +1 Luck, +2 Bond of Iron/Silver/Stars

(GIFTED)
Familiar Training: Discovering the Gift (cost 3 points)
Player Bonuses : NONE
Familiar Bonuses: +1 Fitness, +1 Finesse, +1 Charm, +1 Strength, +1 Intelligence, +1 Insight, +1 Luck

-----------------------
BOND OF IRON (Fitness):
-----------------------

(+FINESSE)
Familiar Training: Athletics
Familiar Bonuses: +1 Fitness, +1 Finesse, +1 Endurance, +1 Acrobatics

(+CHARM)
Familiar Training: Sports Enthusiast
Player Bonuses : +1 to two Random Athletics Skills
Familiar Bonuses: +1 Fitness, +1 Charm, +1 Rimbal Plays, +1 Climb, +1 Acrobatics, +1 Running

(+STRENGTH)
Familiar Escapade: Monster Bashing
Player Bonuses : +1 Demi-Tour, +1 Random War Skill
Familiar Bonuses: +1 Fitness, +1 Strength, +1 Hunting, +1 Wrestling, +1 Duelling Forms, +1 Scent Detection

(+INSIGHT)
Familiar Training: Battle Angel
Familiar Bonuses: +1 Fitness, +1 Insight, +1 Endurance, +1 Maximum Vitality, Snap Kick (Ability)

------------------------------
BOND OF SILVER (Intelligence):
------------------------------

(+FINESSE)
Familiar Training: Bookworm
Player Bonuses : +1 Orthography, +1 Forgery
Familiar Bonuses: +1 Intelligence, +1 Finesse, +1 Bookbinding, +1 Ink Compounds,
+1 Library Knowledge, +1 Random Research Skill

(+CHARM)
Familiar Training: Masterful Mind
Familiar Bonuses: +1 Intelligence, +1 Charm, +1 Memorization, +1 Theory of Arithmetic,
+1 Chemistry, +1 Random Enspell Skill

(+STRENGTH)
Familiar Escapade: Nesting Instincts
Player Bonuses : +1 Animal Husbandry, +1 Courage
Familiar Bonuses: +1 Intelligence, +1 Strength, +1 Climb, +1 Acrobatics, +1 Awareness, +1 Random Athletics Skill

(+INSIGHT)
Familiar Training: All Things Ancient
Player Bonuses : +1 History of Magic
Familiar Bonuses: +1 Intelligence, +1 Insight, +1 Elumian, +1 Early Empire, +1 Vilocian, +1 Bassan, +1 Calamities

---------------------
BOND OF STARS (Luck):
---------------------

(+FINESSE)
Familiar Escapade: Exploring Town
Player Bonuses : +1 Listen, +1 Memorization
Familiar Bonuses: +1 Luck, +1 Finesse, +1 Scent Detection, +1 Hunting, +1 Random Explore Skill, +1 Random Spy Skill

(+CHARM)
Familiar Escapade: The Crazed Elder
Player Bonuses : +1 Piety, +1 Dedication
Familiar Bonuses: +1 Luck, +1 Charm, +1 Temperance, +1 Bluff , +1 Prayer, +1 Willpower

(+STRENGTH)
Familiar Escapade: Electrical Storm
Player Bonuses : +1 Conversation, +1 Concentration
Familiar Bonuses: +1 Luck, +1 Strength, +1 Incantation Phemes, +1 Courage, +1 Negation Methods, +1 Patience

(+INSIGHT)
Familiar Training: Helpful Spy
Player Bonuses : +1 Traps
Familiar Bonuses: +1 Luck, +1 Insight, +1 Random Spy, +1 Random Sleight-of-Hand,
+1 Random Espionage, +1 Random Malice, +1 Random Sabotage

--------------------------------------
MISC (Finesse/Charm/Strength/Insight):
--------------------------------------

Familiar Training: Charming and Sly
Player Bonuses : +1 Flirting
Familiar Bonuses: +1 Insight, +1 Charm, +1 Flattery, +1 Bluff

Familiar Training: Cuteness
Player Bonuses : +1 Conversation
Familiar Bonuses: +2 Charm, +1 Temperance, +1 Manipulation

Familiar Escapade: Facing Down the Bully
Player Bonuses : +1 Duelling Forms, +1 Intimidation
Familiar Bonuses: +1 Finesse, +1 Strength, +1 Phemes, +1 Incantation Phemes, +1 Negation Phemes, +1 Concentration

Familiar Training: Genius of Glamour
Player Bonuses : +2% Chance of Success at all Glamour Spells
Familiar Bonuses: +1 Charm, +1 Finesse, +1 Glamour Methods, +1 Glamour Phemes, +1 Glamour Spells, +1 Theory of Glamour

Familiar Escapade: The Scavenger Hunt
Player Bonuses : +1 Running, +1 Puzzles
Familiar Bonuses: +1 Finesse, +1 Insight, +1 Dedication, +1 Competition, +1 Logic, +1 Perception

Familiar Escapade: Derelict Ship
Player Bonuses : +1 Carpentry, +1 Revision Spells
Familiar Bonuses: +2 Strength, +1 Revision Phemes, +1 Brute Strength, +1 Artisan, +1 Navigation

Familiar Training: Enchanter Extraordinaire
Player Bonuses : +1 Carpentry, +1 Jeweler
Familiar Bonuses: +2 Insight, +1 Materials Knowledge, +1 Magical Appraisal, +1 Metallurgy, +1 Artisan

|FIN|CHA|STR|INS|
FIN| | X | X | X |
CHA| X | X | | X |
STR| X | | X | |
INS| X | X | | X |

I probably could have had those backgrounds only increase one Familiar attribute per (for balance it probably should), but I didn't. My reasoning was that most characters were already getting 2 attributes per background point because of Athletics/Charming and Sly anyway, and Familiars can really use the boost because they are just...painful to train. Another factor is that I later might mod out the attribute gains from abilities such as Learning From Mistakes, and without those Familiars are kinda...well, I'll not mince words, doomed. If I do that I'll likely mod in some attribute gains for Familiar only through increasing Bond skill levels, because otherwise...yeah. Painful.

I'll post character sheets for examples later, right now I need to go to bed. So, what do people think so far? Great idea, horribly imbalanced, wish you'd have it, something wrong/needs changing, what? I won't be able to make the mod public even if I do ever make it, but still, want to know if anyone has suggestions and the like :).

We already know that some if not all backgrounds will have different effects in the year to follow so it could be that backgounds that are great for year 1 will hurt the player by a lot in the years to come. So I personal would be careful about any balancing via mod on this part.

Some of them sound like they will be full of strife and blood, others will put you out there on the spot to live up to your Destiny or fail misserably.

It could be positive aswell, I guess when/if you prevail. We just don't know the costs or what exactly will happen. But I'm sure it will be an adventure. While the early stats bonus is nice, it's not a game changer nad towards the end of the year, depending on yorr character, it might make very Little difference since you can earn a lot of atribute poitns during the game and you can manipulate them with magic, and you can flatten pretty much any Learning curve with abilities.

You just have to be a smart studnet and you can max every skill and outperform everyone else. You can become a legend of the first years. Even if year 1 doesn't state it directly get lots of skills, parttake in Epic adventures and become very impressive(for a first year) I imagine that will affect your progress in later years and make things easier for you to keep it going.

I think my first character did ok, by Academagia standards even if I had a lot of embarrasing accidents. But the later ones pretty mcuh became gods by utilising every skill and possibility. I think that's what the professors and the legate wants to see from the first years, initiative and inventiveness to create your own successes.

Clearly just attending classes is't enough, I'm certain they know it, they have most likely gone through it on their own.

We already know that some if not all backgrounds will have different effects in the year to follow so it could be that backgounds that are great for year 1 will hurt the player by a lot in the years to come. So I personal would be careful about any balancing via mod on this part.

True, but that's all the more reason to make those backgrounds less "necessary" and instead leave picking them up to roleplay. Shattered Mirrors, for example, does state in it's description that "At your birth, all the mirrors and glass in your home shattered, portending a mighty destiny", so one can assume it'll have effects in Y2 and beyond. So I'd rather have the choice of picking it or not rather than have the choice between picking it and having a gimped character - I'll get the Intelligence either way, so it's my choice of mighty destiny or something else.

Some of them sound like they will be full of strife and blood, others will put you out there on the spot to live up to your Destiny or fail misserably.

While the early stats bonus is nice, it's not a game changer nad towards the end of the year, depending on yorr character, it might make very Little difference since you can earn a lot of atribute poitns during the game and you can manipulate them with magic, and you can flatten pretty much any Learning curve with abilities.

Guess which ones my characters didn't pick...

Thing is, at the start those attributes are game changers. People say they aren't, and that's true in the long run, but with a gimped start you can be stuck for a long time. Unable to do Oan's adventure, unable to reasonably learn the skills you need to do any adventure, and unable to cast any spells to help you because, well, with what are you going to cast them? Especially if I'm going to mod out stuff like Learning From Mistakes (because, honestly, I'm kinda tired of every character rushing Planning 2 like mad) than what I start with is pretty much all I get. I know it might be a horribly idea and all, but if so I'll find out and edit it. I don't expect to be able to do a full modded playthrough without making changes and starting over at least once, believe me.

Anyway, that aside, I do believe I promised some character sheets? Well, here's the first, and a great example of how the sheets ended up after my changes to them:

Ankief Deschqa (male, Aranaz, Emilia Strolin?)

DEMENOUR : Perfectionist

NATURE : Director

(E)LT GOAL: End the merchant/nobility divide by exposing corruption from both sides

-TALENTS (+7)-

+Fitness : 2

+Finesse : 3

+Charm : 2

-Strength : 1

+Intelligence: 3

-Insight : 2

-Luck : 1

---

-BACKGROUNDS-

01. Astrology: The Eclipse

+2 Conceal, +2 Hide, +2 Infiltration

02. Deed: Bane of Bakeries

+1 Hide, +1 Move Silently, +1 Danger Sense, +1 Infiltration, +1 Bonus to Spy

03. Aptitude: Cooking

+2 Baking, +1 Greengrocery, +1 Recipes, +1 Scent Detection, Random Recipe

04. Exploits: Exotic Blackmail

+100 Pims, Information on a random student, +1 Observation, +1 Journalism, +1 Memorization

05. Apprenticeship: The Pie Kitchen

+2 Baking, +1 Greengrocery, Pie (Item), Pie (Item) Recipe, +2 Relationship with Sixt von Rupprecht

06. Inheritance: A Spy's Stealth

+1 Move Silently, +1 Hide, Black Clothes (Item), Spyglass (Item)

07. Station: Merchant

+2 Wits, +2 Accounting, +2 Persuasion, 20 PA

08. Station: Wealthy

+1 Courtly Fashion, +1 Court Hairstyles, +1 Perfumes, +2 Etiquette, +1 Art Appreciation, 50 Pa, +200 SM.

09. Familiar Bond: Rat

Poet

10. Familiar Training: Bookworm

Player Bonuses : +1 Orthography, +1 Forgery

Familiar Bonuses: +1 Intelligence, +1 Finesse, +1 Bookbinding, +1 Ink Compounds,

+1 Library Knowledge, +1 Random Research Skill

F1. History: Descended of Traitors

-2 Relationship with 10 Random Students.

11. Familiar Training: Cuteness

Player Bonuses : +1 Conversation

Familiar Bonuses: +2 Charm, +1 Temperance, +1 Manipulation

F2. Friendships: Actually, Bitter Hatred

+2 stress, -5 Relationship with a random Morvidus student (Malthezar Mhadi)

12. Familiar Training: Helpful Spy

Player Bonuses : +1 Traps

Familiar Bonuses: +1 Luck, +1 Insight, +1 Random Spy, +1 Random Sleight-of-Hand,

+1 Random Espionage, +1 Random Malice, +1 Random Sabotage

---

-FAMILIAR-

Poet the Common Grey Rat

-Familiar Training: Bookworm

-Familiar Training: Cuteness

-Familiar Training: Helpful Spy

Fitness : 2

Intelligence: 2

Luck : 4

Finesse : 4

Charm : 3

Strength : 1

Insight : 2

---

-COLLEGE-

Aranaz

---

-CLASS LOAD-

*Calligraphy

-0.97 Hybrid Distribution

*History

-0.80 Distribution

Athletics

-0.80 Pass/Not Pass

Glamour

-0.90 Distribution

Incantation

-0.95 Distribution

Rhetoric

-0.90 Distribution

---

-SET SKILLS-

+2 Accounting

+1 Art Appreciation

+4 Baking

+2 Conceal

+1 Conversation

+1 Court Hairstyles

+1 Courtly Fashion

+1 Danger Sense

+1 Forgery

+2 Greengrocery

+2 Etiquette

+4 Hide

+3 Infiltration

+1 Journalism

+1 Memorization

+2 Move Silently

+1 Observation

+1 Orthography

+1 Perfumes

+2 Persuasion

+1 Recipes

+1 Scent Detection

+1 Traps

+2 Wits

---

-RANDOM SKILLS-

N/A

---

-STRESS/VITALITY-

Stress : 2/4

Vitality: 4/4

---

-CHANCE OF SUCCESS/FAILURE/DETECTION-

N/A

---

-PARENTAL APPROVAL-

PA: 070

SM: 300

---

-RELATIONS-

+2 Sixt von Rupprecht

-2 random student (×10) (Amada Kiffer, Ana Flavia Bessa, Carmine Sturzo, Catherine Chard, Corradin d'Alfi,

Durand de Thiomines, Flore Yveuillet, Malthezar Mhadi, Tulia Faspalla, Vincent Warrender)

-5 random Morvidus (Malthezar Mhadi)

---

-ITEMS-

+1 Black Clothes

+1 Pie

+1 Spyglass

---

-LOCATIONS/VISITATION RIGHTS-

N/A

---

-SPELLS/PHEMES-

N/A

---

-BIO-

Born to two wealthy parents in Mineta, Ankief literally started his life in shadows. Fittingly, as his parents aren't your average merchants - rather than goods, they sell information and a service of "finding" bits of information for interested (often wealthy, always shady) clients. Spies-for-hire are generally unheard of (particularly successful ones), but for the Deschqa family it's an unfortunate necessity. Ankief's grandfather, paradoxically nicknamed "Loke the Righteous Traitor" post-mortem, infiltrated a Minetan embassy under false pretences and left carrying evidence of bad things. Exactly what is something Ankief has never been told, but attempts at overhearing has told him the story involves a Minetan diplomat primarily, an ambassador from Alesfa second, and a "secret" something-or-another third (the lack of detail is, to this day, Ankief's greatest shame and regret). Unfortunately Loke was branded a traitor for exposing what he did, and the weight of his actions has passed on to his children, including his grandchild. The weight of his heritage made Ankief's childhood difficult, but whenever trouble showed he always managed to find a place to hide in. Or, failing that, offer some sort of home-cooked foodstuff to bribe the trouble away with. Unfortunately Ankief's past meant that he couldn't find any education on the finer points of spycraft (nobility, for all their reliance on it, tend not to celebrate it openly), but fortunately he did get accepted as an apprentice in the Pie Kitchen, which appreciated Ankief's talents for cooking. But before he could get very far as a chef Ankief received his invitation letter from the Academagia. The news surprised Ankief's parents at first, but after counting how many pies had gone "missing" from the Pie Kitchen on the same day that Ankief came home from work mysteriously stuffed and with increasingly smaller "leftovers"...the surprise faded. Confident in their child's skills they send him off with the part of his heritage he'd never seen before - the tools of his family's trade - and watched as Ankief went off towards the education he so desperately needed to surpass his grandfather. Unfortunately Ankief's past will continue to haunt him, particularly with a student named Malthezar Mhadi, but he's not concerned. The Academagia is as full of nooks and crannies as the collective heads of the resident chefs (their pockets less so), so with a pie in one hand and a spyglass in the other he'll reach the starts or fall face-first back down to Cyve in the attempt.

---

Just to clarify - any name that isn't shameless plagiarised from elsewhere a reference to something I, in the most literal sense of the word, "pounded" out of my keyboard, so don't expect it to be normal and/or pronounceable. Also, the Demeanour/Nature thing is actually taken from VtM since I basically just need to have both defined in some way I can reference, and me pulling that knowledge out of the aether isn't going to happen. I also might have done it wrong, for basically the same reason, but if so, eh...that's what this topic is for, I guess? I'onno. Anyway.

You will notice a distinct lack of Comet/Shattered Mirrors/Spy/etc. That's because they were deemed ill-fitting for my character (Spy especially, ironically), yet he has all the attribute points to do what he wants anyway. Namely, fill out his backgrounds with fun and fitting stuff as opposed to powerful stuff. Of course you're probably looking at that Familiar and going "really, 'fun and fitting stuff as opposed to powerful stuff'? Are you sure?" and you're be right, probably, but heavy investment into the Familiar is a choice that almost every character of mine made. I could have left them stuck with an unboosted Pamela (or, heck, unboosted Pebbles if I was feeling really evil), but I want them to have useful Familiars. Besides which, otherwise you'd have seen almost everyone have Athletics/Charming and Sly/Cuteness/Masterful Mind or some combination thereof. This way you're actually seeing someone pick stuff like Crazed Elder or Nesting Instincts while still getting those delicious and much-needed attributes, which IMO is an improvement. Yes, this does mean I got Helpful Spy for only 1 background point, but I don't see it as being worth 2 anyway. If it's one of those "later years" things, well, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

So, what do people think? Does it look better than the vanilla attribute/background system or worse?

Edited the above post to include Ankief's bio, which I probably should have included in the first place. Anyway, since apparently no one has anything to say on the background shenanigans, let's instead talk friends and the possible long-term consequences of pursuing the ELTG. I know, no one here is clairvoyant, but I'd like to hear what people think and suspect.

Take Ankief and Emilia Strolin as an example. On one side, she's a useful friend to have - Arithmetic, Dialectic and Grammar are three classes I'm not enrolled in, she's trained in Move Silently so it's possible to go on stealth missions together, PA never hurts, and as her description notes she's the perfect secret weapon because she's low-key (especially compared to the known descendent of a traitorous spy). On the less friendly side there's her relationship with her father, and the fact that he's an old Aranaz merchant-bought-nobility and probably unquestionably corrupted as sin. Tons of opportunities there, for everything from redemption to exploitation, and Ankief's personal goal demands that I do something. But how, with what, and with/through who? How is Ankief going to deal with and treat Emilia, and how is he going to go forward with his plan without (or with!) breaking that treatment/friendship/etc.?

And if Emilia turns out to not be a good choice for a friend (likely because she's more useful as either a neutral party or an enemy, but you know what they say about keeping friends close and your enemies closer...), than who is? Carmine Sturzo likely isn't due to the whole corruption aspect (sadly), but who would be? Raoul Leconte, because he'll be a Revisionist who's peaceful attitude could be either a good moral compass or a social spinning tool? Malacresta Vercesi, because he'll likely be an Astrologer who's search for secrets can lead to either leads or employment opportunities? If not him than maybe something more down to Cyve instead in the form of Courtenay de Surval, with his potential as a cryptologist?

You get the idea. So, how should Ankief try to accomplish his objective of knocking Emilia's family down a notch with(out) Emilia's help/"help", and what friends should he have? I'm curious as to what people think and what their thoughts/opinions are on the various students, so go wild. Yes, I'm one of those guys who only makes in-college Cliques, but if you want to recommend a non-Aranaz student, go for it. And remember, I've got six more of these characters (no promises on how many of them should(n't) be named G/Mary Sue, though), so everyone could get a turn eventually. If people care, that is...

I actually do have a comment on the background stuff. If you're concerned about the possibility of the new backgrounds not being compatible with the year 2 converter, you could always use cheat engine to give yourself an extra 7 background points. It's not very difficult to do, I think there's even a thread on it somewhere.

That could be an option, but unfortunately I don't think that could change the limitations on the Talent screen, so I'd have to use throwaway backgrounds regardless. Anyway seems like there aren't too many Aranaz fans here, so how about Avila?

Dia Clanvic (male/female, Avila, Ana Flavia Bessa/Aaran Ledale?)
DEMEANOR : Enigma
NATURE : Pedagogue
(E)LT GOAL: Become a full-fledged pilgrim of Iudocia

-TALENTS (+7)-
-Fitness : 1
-Finesse : 2
+Charm : 3
-Strength : 1
+Intelligence: 2
-Insight : 2
+Luck : 3
---

-BACKGROUNDS-
01. Astrology: Dawn
+1 Birds, +1 Confidence, +1 Flowers, +1 Phemes, +1 Running, +1 Willpower

02. Family: Helpful and Attentive
+2 Character, +2 Ethics, +1 to two Random School Survival Skills

03. Family: Religious
+3 Theology, +2 Prayer and +1 Piety. Visitation Rights to the Temple of Iudocia

04. Familiar Escapade: The Crazed Elder
Player Bonuses : +1 Piety, +1 Dedication
Familiar Bonuses: +1 Luck, +1 Charm, +1 Temperance, +1 Bluff , +1 Prayer, +1 Willpower

05. Prodigy: Spiritual
+1 Awareness, +1 Ethics, +1 Art Appreciation

06. Familiar Bond: Exotic
Rapidly

07. Familiar Training: All Things Ancient
Player Bonuses : +1 History of Magic
Familiar Bonuses: +1 Intelligence, +1 Insight, +1 Elumian, +1 Early Empire, +1 Vilocian, +1 Bassan, +1 Calamities

08. Familiar Training: Athletics
Familiar Bonuses: +1 Fitness, +1 Finesse, +1 Endurance, +1 Acrobatics

09. Exploits: Merchants of Ilice
Gain 50 Pims, +1 Awareness, +1 Bluff, +1 Composure, +1 Persuasion, +1 Negotiation

10. Familiar Escapade: Electrical Storm
Player Bonuses : +1 Conversation, +1 Concentration
Familiar Bonuses: +1 Luck, +1 Strength, +1 Incantation Phemes, +1 Courage, +1 Negation Methods, +1 Patience
---

-FAMILIAR-
Rapidly the Doonwich Cottontail
-Familiar Escapade: The Crazed Elder
-Familiar Training: All Things Ancient
-Familiar Training: Athletics
-Familiar Escapade: Electrical Storm

Fitness : 3
Intelligence: 2
Luck : 5

Finesse : 2
Charm : 4
Strength : 2
Insight : 2
---

-COLLEGE-
Avila
---

-CLASS LOAD-
*Astrology
-0.90 Distribution

*Geometry
-0.95 Distribution

Arithmetic
-0.95 Curve

Dialectic
-0.99 Distribution

Glamour
-0.90 Distribution

History
-0.80 Distribution
---

-SET SKILLS-
+1 Art Appreciation
+2 Awareness
+1 Birds
+1 Bluff
+2 Character
+1 Composure
+1 Concentration
+1 Confidence
+1 Conversation
+1 Dedication
+3 Ethics
+1 Flowers
+1 Negotiation
+1 Persuasion
+1 Phemes
+2 Piety
+2 Prayer
+1 Running
+1 The History of Magic
+3 Theology
+1 Willpower
---

-RANDOM SKILLS-
+1 School Survival
+1 School Survival
---

-STRESS/VITALITY-
Stress : 0/2
Vitality: 2/2
---

-CHANCE OF SUCCESS/FAILURE/DETECTION-
N/A
---

-PARENTAL APPROVAL-
PA: 000
SM: 050
---

-RELATIONS-
N/A
---

-ITEMS-
N/A
---

-LOCATIONS/VISITATION RIGHTS-
+Temple of Iudocia
---

-SPELLS/PHEMES-
N/A
---

-BIO-
Born to a couple of dime-a-dozen middle-class parents on the dawn of a new day, Dia has been a staple patron of the local temple ever since. Although his/her(?) parents definitely made that decision for him/her they didn't do so lightly, or out of a sense of duty - ever since Dia's been able to talk (and before then, even) s/he's been displaying strange behaviour. Nothing overly worrying or illegal, but nothing like his/her peers either. The priests of the temple that Dia's family frequents always assure them that s/he's perfectly fine - better than fine, even! Who else takes the time to notice and whisper a quiet prayer in appreciation of all the subtle gifts of the Gods? Praised by the priests of the temple that serves as her second home (particularly after an incident involving a monk dressed and acting like a crazed old man for reasons unknown) and cared for by parents who happily give what they can share to those who need and deserve, Dia quickly grew up into a child that most parents could be proud of...the occasional instance of him/her being out further away or later than s/he should, particularly on the eve of a rainstorm once, notwithstanding. But things took a different turn - one for the interesting - when Dia received an invitation from the Academagia. Now invited to either study the history and workings of the Gods far beyond what his/her parents could ever hope to...or how to curse unbelievers and turn into toads (funnily enough the two are entirely distinct, at least from an academic perspective), Dia's options for his/her future have opened up considerably. But where s/he'll end up is something that, right now, only the stars can claim to know.
---

I'm honestly still undecided on whether to pick male or female. On one side male + Avila = bad things, on the other side there's only three males in Avila in total (Aaran Ledale, Avgust Kostrodyrets and Cyrus Dawes) and my policy of "no-cross College cliques" extends to...word. There is a word for this, a gender-neutral and low-key word that does not make bile rise...I do not remember this word. If only I ever used the dictionary literally sitting right next to me as anything but an oversized fly swatter, no matter. It extends to potential lovers (because that's going to be relevant come Y3 or Y4, long after I've gone completely senile...), so...with a female I've got a choice of a street orphan that I can't get a good read on, a walking definition of bore or a flirt that's already taken (whether he likes it or not). Of course there's also the adventures to consider, so...yeah.

As for Dia's friends, well, this one's pretty clear-cut. ELTG demands that I find and convert (forcibly if necessary) help those who need to have a book thrown at them spiritual guidance, and who does in Avila? Old Ana Flavia Bessa and everyone's favorite, Aaran Ledale. The former probably has some lingering doubts about things after handling the Wand of Cursed Doom for however long, and the latter...is going to need a hand if he's not going to destroy himself or someone else. And if not that then, hey, at least I'll never have a dull moment with Aaran around!

Incidentally, for those curious as to what "full-fledged pilgrim of Iudocia" means, it's something that will hopefully be made clear in DLC 17 through an all-new (Avila exclusive) adventure! If I ever finish it, and if it even gets added after that, and probably than some, but still, options! Otherwise I'll probably switch to the "restore College Avila's reputation" ELTG. Or the "overthrow College Avila's gender-restricted tradition fully" ELTG if I go male (or sympathetic female, that depends on the political and social winds I suppose). Lots of possibilities. Now than, I believe I've rambled enough. If anyone's got something to say, let's hear it.

Archived