Black Chicken Studios Forums

Victory Belles Kickstarter is Live!

nautilus

I have to ask.... Which one of you is a Kancolle fan? Cause... Wow. I did not expect this coming from you guys.

I mean that. I'm shocked. In a good way.

... Well, that explains a heck of a lot, now.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Zero;

Haha! No, even Kantai drew from earlier sources- Pixiv artists, Arpeggio of Blue Steel, and the like. Besides, Victory Belles is quite different in terms of the gameplay, story (well, it has one!), artwork, and so on.

I don't think anyone from the Team is a Kancolle fan, though- it's cool, but not our style of game. VB, on the other hand...;)

The bigger problem is whether it can be changed, at this point. Some people have already pledged, frankly, ludicrous amounts of money and they might not appreciate it if their obscene bribes "something" (I cannot think of a more flattering word...) are suddenly swiped from right under them.

Incidentally, I'm still waiting for an answer on how many Belles are assigned to the Kickstarter-only nations, and whether they are also effectively exclusive because of that.

I thought he said 9 Belles would be exclusive rewards, while 121 would be available to all?

I'm not surprised that people want ALL the Belles to be available, Pillars of Eternity has an elusive backer achievement, and people are STILL whining that it isn't fair. Achievements don't even do anything on Steam?

Very surprising to us, as when we back Kickstarters, we *like* exclusives. :)

@Metis - I don't know if Nautilus saw your question or not, but there are 9 exclusive Belles to the KS, and 121 base game Belles.

@Schwarzbart - We actually just finished reaching out to all Backers over $25- trying to get a sense directly about whether anyone would mind timed exclusivity. We'll see!

I'm not surprised that people want ALL the Belles to be available, Pillars of Eternity has an elusive backer achievement, and people are STILL whining that it isn't fair. Achievements don't even do anything on Steam?

I imagine that for most people it's that their patience for this arbitrary inability to 100% stuff has been expended already. Not to mention, it's just poor game design if you intentionally cannot get 100% for reasons completely outside the game itself. Fantastic marketing design, sure, but poor game design.

@Metis - I don't know if Nautilus saw your question or not, but there are 9 exclusive Belles to the KS, and 121 base game Belles.

And also, what, five or six exclusive nations? How-oh, here it is, finally:

Your fleets are collected from over 120 unique Belles. Although you are loyal to one of the seven great naval powers of 1939, you can collect any Belle, from any Nation. As a German Captain, you can commission the vivacious USS New Orleans. As a Brit, you can woo the rough and tumble Parizhskaya Kommuna. And as an American, you can win the ferocious Takao to your side. Commanding a diverse fleet with unique personalities, abilities, and potentials is your best defense and offense in the greatest war the world has ever known.

Don't know how that flew over my head three times <_<.

"These characters are not available to you because you didn't throw $600+ at our Kickstarter X days/weeks/months/years ago" does not feel arbitrary, at least from the perspective of your average joe who likely only discovered the game after the month-long Kickstarter was already over? In all likelihood, if the game exists to begin with, that's going to be the lion's share of the audience.

Few people try for 100% their first go-around and fewer still actually manage, but "things I may have missed" isn't the same as "things I know can never get by design". I know that from BCS' point of view, people pledging $600+ is a great thing. For the people that don't have that kind of money to throw around it's not fun to be denied something because they can't reasonably throw that kind of money around and/or didn't know about the offer until years after the fact. Yes, it's only 9 Belles out of 120+ or something, it's still a kick in the teeth for lack of clairvoyance and/or a degree of financial sense when the average person doesn't have half a grand to burn.

I tend to agree with metis. It's around as bad as the console company owners shutting down their online servers due to cost, causing quests to be lost forever. (Dragon quest IX was especially painful in that regard)

Archived