• The German Kriegsmarine
    • The Polish Navy
    • The Spanish Navy
    • The Turkish Navy
    • Royal Netherlands Navy
    • The French Navy
  2. 2. Forgot Russia

• The Soviet Navy
    • I prefer Freedom and choose one of the navys in question one!
    • The Canadian Navy

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

jeez, way to rain on the parade :). You also have to remember that the war in Europe wasn't very popular amongst the American populace. German being the second largest ethnicity group. I would argue it's less about being weak and more simple unwillingness. Plus the America freedom thing is more about playing into a trope.

The American freedom train is a stereotype bordering onto meme-dom...kinda like the Russian's obsession in communism :D.

Of course...it would be a dark day if communism swept the land thanks to Kirov's efforts...*shudder*

I'll likely be choosing France as my starting nation. I considered America for a bit, but since I can get any nation's ships regardless of my own nation with some effort, I figured I should go with my heart. I'm just excited that France is an option at all, honestly. Plus... if it means I'm closer to getting Algerie, then it's worth it haha!

The American freedom train is a stereotype bordering onto meme-dom...kinda like the Russian's obsession in communism :D.

Of course...it would be a dark day if communism swept the land thanks to Kirov's efforts...*shudder*

>a dark day

>dark

That's not how you spell glorious! Brush up on your capitalist anglo-speak!

It is okay, he will be in gulag soon enough and will learn his lesson. That is all that matters. :)

Hey, Legate, ever figure out who I meant when I mentioned 'The Largest Submarine in the British Navy'?

Is it the Tog II?

hmm... I'm not sure who i'll start with either... o.o probably whoever comes to mind when I get it. Might try a country during the beta and play another when it launches, assuming progress will be wiped :P

Edit: welp that went wayy over my head lel

Wiping is probably likely since that's the way alphas / betas work.

I think I'll start with Italy. Not only does Nera look great- but I think that the Italisn produced some of the most wonderful ships of the war. And they definitely knew how to build a ship that suited their needs better than the Japanese or the Germans did. But I also think it will offer a real challenge to play as Italy- you start off with two mediocre battleships and no carriers. And as far as I know you don't have very good quality ammo, or very remarkable FCS, nor any good fighters (MC 202 and the other good Italian planes are still two years away in 1939).

But I think that makes it all the more fun to see if I can overcome such a tough position.

>Italy

>Good ships

>lost half in a single attack by 21 swordfish, abandoned the Mediterranean for the rest of the war.

please rephrase. I too agree that the Italians look great and have sexy voices, but their ships are nothing to write home about. Their navy wasn't impressive, nor was it well used. By the time it could have been up to snuff the other nations had upgraded to the point where it was irrelevant anyway. The Japanese and Germans did spend time building big, impressive capital ships, but despite them not fitting the roles required at the time they were by no means inferior to the Italians at the time. Quite the opposite in my own opinion.

The Italian navy was the strongest influence for many of the designs of the Russian navy, and look how that turned out. I don't wanna start a forum war but buddy, ya made me laugh.

>Italy

>Good ships

>lost half in a single attack by 21 swordfish, abandoned the Mediterranean for the rest of the war.

please rephrase. I too agree that the Italians look great and have sexy voices, but their ships are nothing to write home about. Their navy wasn't impressive, nor was it well used. By the time it could have been up to snuff the other nations had upgraded to the point where it was irrelevant anyway. The Japanese and Germans did spend time building big, impressive capital ships, but despite them not fitting the roles required at the time they were by no means inferior to the Italians at the time. Quite the opposite in my own opinion.

The Italian navy was the strongest influence for many of the designs of the Russian navy, and look how that turned out. I don't wanna start a forum war but buddy, ya made me laugh.

I recall that the Italians did do decently at their jobs, namely destroying convoys, though the high command wasn't that impressive.

>Italy

>Good ships

Lost half their ships? I think not, the only large Italian warship permanently lost was Conte di Cavour, whilst Littorio and Caio Duilio were repaired in less than half a year. After that, the Italians sure as hell weren't giving up. Despite the debacle at Cape Matapan, some clever use of divers and minefields eliminated two British battleships and a cruiser squadron in late 1941. After that they got back on their feet and bloodied the Royal Navy at the Second Battle of Sirte, Operation Harpoon, Operation Vigorous, and Operation Pedastal. After that, they were mostly limited by the increasing strain on their very small fuel supply. To say that the Italians gave up after Taranto is a grave insult to their efforts during the war. Given the limitations in leadership, resources, and technology the Regia Marina faced, I think they did a fair job.

Amen.

Keep in mind this wife's waifu, a coal burner predating WW1, is possibly the oldest ship/Belle in the game. But I like my ladies experienced. We can show Mahan a thing or two about technique, can't we Yavuz? :-)

Archived