• The German Kriegsmarine
    • The Polish Navy
    • The Spanish Navy
    • The Turkish Navy
    • Royal Netherlands Navy
    • The French Navy
  2. 2. Forgot Russia

• The Soviet Navy
    • I prefer Freedom and choose one of the navys in question one!
    • The Canadian Navy

I recall that the Italians did do decently at their jobs, namely destroying convoys, though the high command wasn't that impressive.

Lost half their ships? I think not, the only large Italian warship permanently lost was Conte di Cavour, whilst Littorio and Caio Duilio were repaired in less than half a year. After that, the Italians sure as hell weren't giving up. Despite the debacle at Cape Matapan, some clever use of divers and minefields eliminated two British battleships and a cruiser squadron in late 1941. After that they got back on their feet and bloodied the Royal Navy at the Second Battle of Sirte, Operation Harpoon, Operation Vigorous, and Operation Pedastal. After that, they were mostly limited by the increasing strain on their very small fuel supply. To say that the Italians gave up after Taranto is a grave insult to their efforts during the war. Given the limitations in leadership, resources, and technology the Regia Marina faced, I think they did a fair job.

Well I will admit my research on the subject has not been extensive, but I hold my stance that Italy was not exactly a world power in the second world war. That said, I have nothing against you or your waifu(s) (though you shouldn't have more than 1), Scootia. Good luck with the Regia Marina.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dano;

Uh oh. Let's hear it, Dano. :)

You replied before I finished my edit. :P

But either way my signature should make it pretty obvious.

(It's Makise Kurisu from Steins;Gate)

She would make the best shipgirl. The Morganas wouldn't know what hit them.

Can I get a tuturu shipgirl then? I'd like one. Voiced by KanaHana ofc.

I'm new, but I hope I can answer the question! :unsure:

It's pretty straightforward, I'm afraid, since I'm going to go nuts with the Regia Marina! :P

Speaking of which, I read a bit about starter ships, but so far I've only seen Rawalpindi as the British starter ship; do we know the others? Do we know the Italian one (maybe Espero)?

I am so sorry.

D: nooooooooooooooooooooo

Anyways, after further thinking about it I'd reserve judgment on which nation I would pick depending on the starting belle choice and the advantage/disadvantages of each nation. I'm from a nation that's pretty much irrelevant in WW2(although quite a lot of the naval battles are fought in Indonesian seas). This means that I have no real connection to any particular nation so I'll be basing my choice on how much I like the belle(artstyle and personality) and gameplay advantage of the nation.

That being said, if suddenly they announce KanaHana voicing anyone in the IJN I'll go IJN. :P (hey, I can dream!)

D: nooooooooooooooooooooo

Anyways, after further thinking about it I'd reserve judgment on which nation I would pick depending on the starting belle choice and the advantage/disadvantages of each nation. I'm from a nation that's pretty much irrelevant in WW2(although quite a lot of the naval battles are fought in Indonesian seas). This means that I have no real connection to any particular nation so I'll be basing my choice on how much I like the belle(artstyle and personality) and gameplay advantage of the nation.

That being said, if suddenly they announce KanaHana voicing anyone in the IJN I'll go IJN. :P (hey, I can dream!)

I know that a lot of Southeast Asia doesn't like Imperial Japan (understandably) to the point where the Rising sun flag is as taboo as the swastika is in Eastern Europe. But if you want my opinion, I suggest going for the IJN ships that were based in Indonesia and New Guinea during the war, as geographically, it's your closest thing. Also, they have a rich and colorful service record, especially the Japanese destroyers, who I expect to see a lot of. They really carried the Japanese war effort on their shoulders while the famous battleships and carriers sat on their hands in the back.

Well, if you want my opinion,

I'd say it's more or less accurate in the Solomons, but then again that's where surface ships had their last glory days on this Earth since air cover was sporadic and the Japanese did their best to keep the fighting at night where their destroyer doctrine (and Long Lance torpedoes) would theoretically give them an advantage. DDs were also fuel efficient and it didn't take long for that single issue to drive Japanese strategy.

Beyond the Solomons, though, I think the entire IJN sat on their hands after Midway...at least until it was too late and even the tin cans were bomber bait.

I hope the USCG gets represented in some way. It gets ignored too often, I believe.

AMEN, brother!

I'd say it's more or less accurate in the Solomons, but then again that's where surface ships had their last glory days on this Earth since air cover was sporadic and the Japanese did their best to keep the fighting at night where their destroyer doctrine (and Long Lance torpedoes) would theoretically give them an advantage. DDs were also fuel efficient and it didn't take long for that single issue to drive Japanese strategy.

Beyond the Solomons, though, I think the entire IJN sat on their hands after Midway...at least until it was too late and even the tin cans were bomber bait.

Well, from what I've read and seen, the destroyers were the workhorses of the IJN. War is not just battles, keep in mind. After WWI wars are won in the factories, with logistics and supply. The IJN destroyers made almost as many supply runs and troop deliveries as the actual non-combat supply and troop ships, and they were arguably just as successful.

The IJN destroyers made almost as many supply runs and troop deliveries as the actual non-combat supply and troop ships, and they were arguably just as successful.

Meaning not very. The Japanese were unable to keep their troops adequately supplied or get them out when they were cut off by island hopping. They lost a lot of DDs, and wasted their potential, for a use they weren't intended and in the end had to resort to their fleet subs to attempt resupply instead of using them to disrupt American convoys all over the Pacific.

Yes, I will agree that the DDs were marginally the most effective ships in WWII for the IJN. But that's kinda damning praise considering how poorly all the other ship types were used.

Please note I am not dissing the ships here. I'm dissing the poor judgement shown at just about every turn by the IJN and Japanese leadership. Starting, I think we must agree, with involving themselves in the war in the first place...

AMEN, brother!

Specifically I would love to see USCGC Campbell "Queen of the sea" https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USCGC_Campbell_(WPG-32)

And USCGC Ingham, the most decorated Coast Guard cutter in history https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USCGC_Ingham_(WHEC-35)

I know that a lot of Southeast Asia doesn't like Imperial Japan (understandably) to the point where the Rising sun flag is as taboo as the swastika is in Eastern Europe. But if you want my opinion, I suggest going for the IJN ships that were based in Indonesia and New Guinea during the war, as geographically, it's your closest thing. Also, they have a rich and colorful service record, especially the Japanese destroyers, who I expect to see a lot of. They really carried the Japanese war effort on their shoulders while the famous battleships and carriers sat on their hands in the back.

Nah, a lot of us nowadays(at least in Indonesia) no longer feel any resentment to Japan, heck there are tons of anime and manga events here in Indonesia including the annual Anime Festival Asia Indonesia. Plus I don't think the rising sun flag is actually banned in Indonesia(unlike soviet Russia's hammer and sickle which is banned).

I like having no attachments so I can choose freely the nation I'll start with. For the nation and belles, I'll pick and choose based on art and gameplay advantage :P

Thanks for the suggestion though. :)

Meaning not very. The Japanese were unable to keep their troops adequately supplied or get them out when they were cut off by island hopping. They lost a lot of DDs, and wasted their potential, for a use they weren't intended and in the end had to resort to their fleet subs to attempt resupply instead of using them to disrupt American convoys all over the Pacific.

Yes, I will agree that the DDs were marginally the most effective ships in WWII for the IJN. But that's kinda damning praise considering how poorly all the other ship types were used.

Please note I am not dissing the ships here. I'm dissing the poor judgement shown at just about every turn by the IJN and Japanese leadership. Starting, I think we must agree, with involving themselves in the war in the first place...

I understand what you're saying, and I thoroughly agree with you on the subject of the leadership at the time. I also agree that none of their ships were used as intended. Have you read Japanese Destroyer Captain by Tameichi Hara, by any chance?

I'm new, but I hope I can answer the question! :unsure:

It's pretty straightforward, I'm afraid, since I'm going to go nuts with the Regia Marina! :P

Speaking of which, I read a bit about starter ships, but so far I've only seen Rawalpindi as the British starter ship; do we know the others? Do we know the Italian one (maybe Espero)?

As a fellow member of the Regia Marina, we don't know who the starter ship is there yet but one of the backer unlocked starter ships is Pola. The only other ships for Italy at this time are Espero and Camacia Nera.

As a fellow member of the Regia Marina, we don't know who the starter ship is there yet but one of the backer unlocked starter ships is Pola. The only other ships for Italy at this time are Espero and Camacia Nera.

I see, thanks.

What about D'Aosta, though? :unsure:

Archived