Black Chicken Studios Forums

General Victory Belles Questions Thread

Dano

Pillwalker;

They evidently need human crews, although they also do seem to have some independent powers to complete basic ship operations. It's not yet fully researched or understood... ;)

AK;

It is about ~10 yards from the ship, in 1939.

So basically they can stand on the dock the ship is moored to but no further. Interesting.

That 10 yards bugs me because I never used that measurement option. Having to Google that I'm going to reject Victory Belle's 10 yard rule & insert 'line of sight' that Apreggio had when trying to befriend Kongo into their little grouping.

I love the first track. That part near the beginning with the vocals gets me every time.

So based on what I know of the VBs they are the ship and the ship is them so they are indeed a kind of avatar of the ship. Do they need human crews or can they run without them though? I assumed that the Belle could operate her body herself, one mind controlling all aspects of a ship which is one reason for their superior performance in battle, other than the other stated reasons of greater durability and more effective weapons.

The whole TV show side hits hard because it has all the feels from the anime. I have yet to enjoy the movie that it may hit just as hard later. Different style. Silver Sky hit me so hard when Takao & Iona had that brutal scene. Such emotions.

VBs are one & the same with their 'avatars' or 'mental models', or so was mentioned. They do need crew, but I guess that's something we have to learn why. They have a captain, as well as crew to ruin the ship (for whatever reason), yet prefer the whole 'mind control' because the FOG are basically the ship with the 'Mental Model' being their consciousness made physical. Arpeggio makes more sense to me because it had time to lay its lore down on the table. VB has yet to do so fully with each bit and pieces.
Also, I have the same question about why the Belles need weaponry on them if they have the vessels of themselves. I've been thinking that also, yet never really bothered to bring it up until Pillwalker here mentioned it. It's been bothering me that I just can't ignore it now. The accessories + the 10 yards seems silly to me. 10 yards, to me, is the distance of an average home, or the size of a landing part of a shipyard. That bridge you see on ships, and such. Quite strange. I prefer Arpeggio's 'line of sight' again.

That 10 yards bugs me because I never used that measurement option. Having to Google that I'm going to reject Victory Belle's 10 yard rule & insert 'line of sight' that Apreggio had when trying to befriend Kongo into their little grouping.

AK;

It is about ~10 yards from the ship, in 1939.

Sorry AK, but as much as I want to agree with you currently it -is- 10 yards.

Sorry AK, but as much as I want to agree with you currently it -is- 10 yards.

Do as you wish because I'm the type which rebels at silly thoughts like that :P. It might be fine for lore, and such. Because they're Belles, yet I've been spoiled by the likes of Arpeggio that I'd prefer if they would be able to at least make it to a 'pub', or some port-side entertainment. Not expecting mainland, just something further lol. I'm imagining an example of being able to go out of the house into the driveway, just not the nearby park just 2-5 min away, yet can't get to it. I guess 20 min walking distance should be the max. Anything further should be off-limits. (speed walking, or quick walking).

Your thoughts are your own, as mine are for me. I'm won over by Japan this time around. Spoiled by Arpeggio.

Seriously? It's really not that hard to remember that 10 yards = 9.1 meters

Didn't want to start a new thread but had three smaller questions I was hoping to get answered.

Firstly I was really up on these styled games to much but from alot of my research several of them rely on "generics" to fill out rosters (Panzer Waltz seemed like a big offender of this one). When the developers say 120 ships are they meaning 120 fleshed out ships? Or say 60-80 fleshed out ones and the rest as generic with no real story?

Second, I came late to the party and wasn't able to pledge in the initial campaign but got in before the first of the month on the paypal one. Should I assume that I'll still be locked out of the kickstarter discussions themselves since by Kickstarters standards the paypal donaters aren't true backers?

Finally I hear it repeated very often that this is going to be Victory Belles 39'. Is it safe to assume that long after post launch if successful that the creator will simply move it forward one year to make Victory Belles 40' and so on. Or is 39' just donating the start of the game and that alternate means of going forward are being discussed?

Erebus;

No problem!

1) We don't have any generics here. :)

2) If you pledged as of yesterday, you are treated as a Kickstarter Backer. However, if you pledge today going forward, your Tiers are not as good. So, you got in in the right window!

3) The whole game is Victory Belles- we note that it is '39 to indicate that's where the Story begins, however. ;)

I wonder if there are bonuses towards a mission when sortieing a fleet with specific nationalities.

For example, an all American fleet would have better coordination as a bonus. A fleet of allied belles would have a bit less than a one-country fleet. Then a mix of ships from both sides of WWII won't have much bonuses, if at all.

Something I was thinking about while writing my fic. How do Belles communicate with one another when out on the seas? Is there some kind of telepathic connection/mental radio set, or do they have to rely on signal flags and blinkers? (I'm not experienced with how World War 2 navies communicated from ship to ship)

W99;

Signal lamps were used in formation sailing, although the Americans used TBS. Radio, otherwise, although that had it's own risks, of course.

Belles, when they have a close relationship, can sense other Belles similar to how they can sense Morgana. It's not the same as telepathic communication, but they can understand something of the Belle's situation and feeling. Distance isn't a factor for this type of communication.