Black Chicken Studios Forums

Fanfiction And Fanfiction Ideas

Pataponvideo

Hi ho!

My, this thread has grown in quite the awesome way since my last visit. A huge "thank-you" @DrYuriMom for gathering all info on the Morgana that has been unveiled so far (as well to all that contributed to the insightful discussion that followed) - it helped me grasp what i missed about Morganas and adapt my work to whatever lore i missed.

Also, @ninjapacman: i forgot to say that i've grown as an open-minded person, so it's alright to speak your mind while considering the other side's freedom and feelings (which you did ;-) ).

One of the reasons i'm this open to people is because i ackwnoledge myself as a person with "quirks" (i blame My Hero Academia for using that word) and "flaws", with one flaw being the limitation of my knowledge and logic to what i've personally experienced or learned, which can be complemented (or corrected) with the work and logic of others. This is the primal essence of a community, in which a group of people with something in common (survival, a goal, etc.) cover each other's flaws while contributing with their quirks, making better results than what a single person could do.

Now, back to topic. I understood that the Hendecagon term was a bit off. The name came from a side reference to the Pentagon, and it would indeed be more as a forced writting plot other than something that emerged naturally. The "First 11", however, seemed a more natural expression to the first wave of captains from the INPF (short for International Naval Protection Force) - which you agreed as well due to the analogy with the Battle of Britain's "first few", so i'll be more reliant on using it rather than the former.

As for the "inherent bias against self-inserts", i don't mind it at all. It shows how stories have to be made with thought and naturality to be more authentic, and writters who exert things such as their characters unto a world can often make the natural feel of their piece weaker. I'll take that into consideration when making my work, hoping to make Belfast as real as how she is depicted in-game, how the captain will behave with her according to his behaviour and feelings, and the results of those interactions. I only showed the resumed version because, in all honesty, i would only start the true work once the Backer Beta begins - that's when i'll have more reliable information to write my work accordingly, all while making the "beginner's guide" to be featured later on (if BCS deems it worthy enough, of course).

And sorry for my really long post. Hope it's okay with you guys.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gerrion: It's a good thing that you are open minded, because I'm as brutally honest as I can be to everyone when critiquing writing. It has gotten me some less than mature responses in the past from salty writers.

Also, they weren't the "First Few" in the Battle of Britain. Their name is "The Few" deriving from Winston Churchill's speech about the battle when he said "Never before has some much been owed by so many to so few." They are "The Few" that the people of Britain owe so much to.

Idea the third:

Victory Belles: Stolen- A battleship skipper is being ferried to his task group September 1st, 1939. A mist appears close to the destroyer ferrying him, and the destroyer manifests a Belle, claiming him as her captain. During the battle, his task group arrives and he moves to his battleship who knew her candidate and was waiting to manifest her own Belle. The Morgana is defeated but shortly after the two boats realize there's a bit of a property dispute. Both think the captain is their own, and neither will allow the other to have him. (The destroyer claims she claimed him first, the Battlewagon claims he was assigned to her and therefore he is officially hers) Hilarity that comes from a love triangle involving large and small caliber naval artillery ensues.

It occurs that none of my stories have to be long, just small one-shots for scats and gags.

Idea the third:

Victory Belles: Stolen- A battleship skipper is being ferried to his task group September 1st, 1939. A mist appears close to the destroyer ferrying him, and the destroyer manifests a Belle, claiming him as her captain. During the battle, his task group arrives and he moves to his battleship who knew her candidate and was waiting to manifest her own Belle. The Morgana is defeated but shortly after the two boats realize there's a bit of a property dispute. Both think the captain is their own, and neither will allow the other to have him. (The destroyer claims she claimed him first, the Battlewagon claims he was assigned to her and therefore he is officially hers) Hilarity that comes from a love triangle involving large and small caliber naval artillery ensues.

It occurs that none of my stories have to be long, just small one-shots for scats and gags.

I need this story in my life ?

Knowing about the mists and such, how effective would a carrier be? Judging from what has been said, the early days would prove difficult for carrier operations.

On another note, seeing as the mist leaves stuff on one's clothes. Would a ship suffer from the same fate? IE: Having to be scrubbed down if it manages to exit the mist due to having stuff all over it.

Idea the third:

I hope you mean "skits"

Waltzcarer;

In the early days of '39: carriers are almost entirely ineffective in the Mists (warning: not true for the Morgana carriers.)

Yes: when you leave, you have to give the ship a once over to get the residue off.

What implications does this have for gameplay? I see a carrier that was introduced, so I assume they have some purpose in '39

What implications does this have for gameplay? I see a carrier that was introduced, so I assume they have some purpose in '39

From the first Kickstarter update, I can safely say scouting and the striking of targets not in their mists.

I believe they mean regular Carriers. Belle carriers can sense the Morgana so the planes would sense them to.

Waltzcarer;

As Fifrein noted, Operations tend to have significant areas not under Mist (some have no Mists at all), so there is a lot for a Belle Carrier to do. But when you go into those Mists, they become very limited.

RA;

Aircraft launched from a Belle's ship are still regular aircraft, with human pilots and the like. They can only aid them to a certain degree, although they can provide a little help, here and there.

The Belle herself can sense the Morgana, though.

Waltzcarer;

As Fifrein noted, Operations tend to have significant areas not under Mist (some have no Mists at all), so there is a lot for a Belle Carrier to do. But when you go into those Mists, they become very limited.

RA;

Aircraft launched from a Belle's ship are still regular aircraft, with human pilots and the like. They can only aid them to a certain degree, although they can provide a little help, here and there.

That makes a lot of sense, good to know.

Now, time to ready all of the Kickstater material.

Waltzcarer;

RA;

I assumed and proved the saying right. Sorry about that.

Wait, every time we send planes into combat and one gets shot down, we're losing real live men with families? New game mode: hard- don't send home a single letter of regrets.

Fifrein;

Every time your Belle is hit, it's likely you're writing letters. That would be a crazy hard Achievement, if ever I've heard of one. :)

Yeah, I bet it would. It just occurred to me that most fantasy games (especially RPGs) have a hardcore roleplay crowd, and now that you have to worry about the lives of your men instead of the ship girls alone and/or the generic drone faeries that would pilot them that just got a lot more serious.

I believe I am part of that crowd. I'm never going to lose a ship, not one. Couldn't bear it. I lost one in Kancolle once, and spent 2 weeks doing nothing but trying to get her back to repent for my mistake.

Thinking something related to Enterprise. Probably related to what Wellington and DrYuriMom has written, but I wonder if I shouldn't diversify a bit.

I want to explore the fact that a random person being chosen as captain will probably not sit well with the existing crew regardless of what regulation says. I want to explore that aspect a bit more, but I'm not a very good writer so coming up with ideas for a good drama is what I would need to pointers about.

It also helps that the ship is quite new if we look at her commissioning date.

Archived