Black Chicken Studios Forums

Suggestions for Belle Designs

After 1939 for Italy things get a bit dicey... it was concluded that in wartime her industrial base, resources and economy would make it impossible to build any ship bigger than a destroyer, and that's what happened; only destroyers (and few of them) and minor ships were built from scratch, the others had been begun earlier.

Well, let's see what we have for ships completed after 1939.

- All the Littorio-class battleships (in 1940 Littorio and Vittorio Veneto, in 1942 Roma, while the Impero would have been lucky to be completed in 1944).

- The Capitani Romani-class light cruisers (of which six were suspended when Italy joined the war in 1940, and the other six only three were completed, with one other close to completion when the Armistice was signed)

- The second series of the Soldati-class and all the Comandanti Medaglie d'Oro-class destroyers (none of the latter was completed, though).

- Maybe the two small anti-air cruisers Etna and Vesuvio (again, not completed).

And... that's it. :rolleyes:

Might I ask how far along Aquila was at the time of the armistice? Along with Taihou she's tied for my favorite Axis carrier in terms of looks. I wonder when we'll have access to her in game? Perhaps she can be some sort of maid or hostess to reflect her former role as a cruise liner, being able to provide many of the luxurious services that you'd associate with a cruise.

Might I ask how far along Aquila was at the time of the armistice? Along with Taihou she's tied for my favorite Axis carrier in terms of looks. I wonder when we'll have access to her in game? Perhaps she can be some sort of maid or hostess to reflect her former role as a cruise liner, being able to provide many of the luxurious services that you'd associate with a cruise.

At the time of the armistice, the Aquila was almost ready, having already done the first static engine tests and preparing to undergo the full sea trials. What was the real problem was fixing up her aircraft complement; in June 1943 it was estimated that the Aquila and her aircrafts wouldn't be at peak efficiency before two full years! :o

Still, if we get her, no complaints from me. :rolleyes:

She's probably all set, so maybe it's too late...

But the real-life cruiser Duca d'Aosta had also an unofficial motto, other than the official one (Victoria nobis vita), which at some point was even painted on the side of one of its main turrets.

Said unofficial motto was the one of the Regiment "Aosta" of the Alpini (the Italian mountain infantry), of course in Aostan dialect:

Ca cousta l'on ca cousta, viva l'Aousta!

It means, in a rough translation, "At any cost, long live the Aosta!"

Time to throw some suggestions out there for the US Navy and two ships I think that are very important and should not be overlooked. USS Laffey and USS North Carolina.

USS North Carolina's nickname is "The Showboat" and as a belle, she'd reflect this by being very showy and flashy in the way she dresses and acts. Her outfit of choice would be a provocative showgirl outfit of the time period, with bits of flame motifs to refernce when Big E famously asked her "Are you afire?". She goes where she is most likely to be seen and spends an unhealthy amount of time preening herself, which stems from the fact that in real life she made numerous trips back and forth out of the navy yards trying to fix her numerous teething troubles. Going hand in hand with this, North Carolina also fidgets compulsively has rather shaky hands at times, because the real ship suffered from very heavy vibration problems. She's very embarrassed about this and does her best to hide it and control it, and she compensates for her shaky aim with massive barrages of fire. Despite the fact that she is a flamboyant show off, North Carolina is fantastic with children and absolutely adores them, and children admire and and highly fond of her in return, a fact which originates from the efforts of North Carolina schoolchildren to help raise the funds to make her a museum ship. I personally would like to see her have ether bright red hair or dark brown hair since blonde seems like too stereotypical for her personality.

At least one of her lines needs to be "I AM AFIRE! WAHAHAHA!" Preferably when unleashing an AA barage.

USS Laffey on the other hand is a lot more down to earth. She's humble, but also very feisty and scrappy when it comes to battle. She has a distinct and unmistakable Irish accent, since her namesake Bartlett Laffey was in fact an Irish immigrant to the US. She keeps her hair, which is dark red, cropped very short so it doesn't get in her way while firing, and of course being an Irish girl she has plenty of freckles about her. As DD-459, she's very brash and unhinged, being very in your face and aggressive. She likes to charge into a fight and will often get into melee combat with Morganas if you don't reign her in. Just ask Hiei what Laffey gets up to when you let her charge in. Despite her aggressive nature she's a good girl who cares about her comrades, if just a little lacking in self control. Rather than DD-724 being a seperate ship, I think of her more as Laffey's reincarnation, that Laffey's soul was revived in the form of the new ship. As DD-724, Laffey shows a more composed and mature nature, partly the result of her learning the hard way that being too hotheaded and beserk can cost you dearly. The other part is that she learns from her new Captain, Julius Becton, who, after I read the book he wrote about Laffey, seems like a very composed, professional man who runs his ship in a very firm and fair way. Laffey as DD-724 balances her scrappy, brawler tendencies with an emphasis on staying alive and using technique and skill as well as brawn.

Laffey's damaged line has to be "I will not give up as long as a single gun can fire!". End of story.

I personally would like to see her have ether bright red hair or dark brown hair since blonde seems like too stereotypical for her personality.

And an appearance already trademarked by her fellow 'Southern Belle', Mississippi.

I would far prefer it if German belles were to wear precise and proper uniforms. The Germans in World War II were quite well known for their class and regulation. They were more strict in procedure than other militaries, and more organized in the field with their uniforms.

Irritated by this posting because that's what I'm saying, just that there's also room for some fun. Fun which people forgot also. Precision is something I'm seeking also & why I enjoy U-511 from KanColle because she doesn't look like her Japanese counterparts, nor the Victory Belle version of whomever the colourful one was. I did link the danbooru which would 'slide' because it's still casual, and still serious also.

A friend of mine who isn't really interested in the nature of the Belles themselves but just the framework of a srpg game that made use of navy ships, stated that he would hope to find that odd duck that was the USS Alaska CB-1 at some point.

Odd because it along with it's sole sister ship were the only two to hold the title of Large Cruiser and were the closest contemporary to the foreign battlecruiser designation. But unlike battlecruisers were not treated as true capital ships.

Seems like there is some groundwork to play around with from the design itself.

They were launched much later than 39' but after reading about the design it is one I'd hope to see in later years of the game.

Błyskawica is a fantastic polish destroyer that served with the British after Poland fell. I would love to see her added to the game as part of either the Polish or British navy.

I think HMS Cossack should have a cutlass because it was allegedly used during the Altmark incident. Even if the historical accuracy is somewhat hazy it hasn't been disproven either and since it's part of her reputation I think it should be a part of her design.

Also I think she needs a bearskin hat

• 2 weeks later...

A thought that came in is that the Grand Old Lady would be the oldest ship in Royal Navy service by the Second World War, and given all she's achieved, I'd like to think that it would be brilliant if in her design there was an incorporation of Britannia's design, as Britannia is the personification of Great Britain, and I can't think of any other ship that would best be able to pull it off.

Krr6QiE.jpg

The Iowas could be slender, athletic, and tall, given they maxed out to barely fit in the Panama Canal. They also had ludicrous amounts of horsepower. Heck, they only needed four boilers to outrun most of the Japanese, and at flank speed easily the fastest battleships around. They also had one of the greatest AA loadouts ever for a Battleship, and her guns fired super-heavy rounds that are right up there in power, just below Yamato's 46 cm guns.

Here's an idea. Amatsukaze and/or Shigure could have a rivalry with the American Destroyer O'Bannon. Captain Tameichi Hara encountered O'Bannon once as Captain of Amatsukaze, and twice as Captain of Shigure.

• 3 weeks later...

It's nice :) if it appeared in a game other Polish belles:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ORP_Błyskawica lucky ship

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ORP_Grom_(1936) called by the Germans cursed Pole or "Menschenjäger"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ORP_Burza veteran convoys and sister ship ORP Wicher

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ORP_Orzeł_(1938) brave submarine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ORP_Wilk troll submarine

• 2 weeks later...

I believe I mentioned her earlier, but if I haven't I'm suggesting U-505. Hers is a unique and somewhat somber history that's worth putting in. She not only earned the distinction of most heavily damaged U-Boat to ever return to port after taking a 250lb bomb directly on the foredeck, her captain, Kptlt Zschech was the only warship commander in history to have committed suicide on the bridge during a combat engagement. The morale of her crew was consistently low due to sabotage. She also sank the ship that gave Columbia political reason to declare war on Germany. I think if she's in the game, she should have rather low self-esteem to reflect her constant poor morale that stemmed from multiple disheartening incidents.

She had to return to port so often because of constant sabotage by the dock workers who repaired her, that at one point the dock was painted to say "U-505's hunting ground."

She was also the first ship captured by the US navy at sea since the war of 1812.