Black Chicken Studios Forums

UBOOT - Kickstarter & Silent Hunter 3 inspiration

ArcticuKitsu

It's thanks to the new Surcourf update that we can welcome this new UBOOT here. Who else became curious as I to do battle in open seas? This time around you, once again, play around with German submarines but in a more tense manner. You have to hunt the seas for threats while managing your crew's health & safety. Having to keep their morale up so they can happily do battle against the enemy.

It's been said this game is inspired by the grim tales of the awesome movie 'Das Boot', while also inspiring from the likes of 'SIlent Hunter series'. That, and with the micro-management of 'Fallout Shelter' or 'Sims' type manner, but in a grim war-torn manner.

Kickstarter:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1752350052/uboot-a-ww2-survival-sandbox

------------

- My Thoughts:

I happily backed it just to support the naval genre some more. I did hesitate at first, yet backed it. The [WW2] naval genre needs to be populated so much more with awesome games that I'm hoping game developers would become brave once more to recapture the awesomeness of Silent Hunter 3, just in a more 2016-2017 manner, as well as animefiying the genre for the likes of Kantai Collection, Apreggio of Bluesteel, and maybe even this game. It all depends on hype & the willingness. I guess a 'KanColle' mod for this game is out of the question for how it plays out, yet hoping that someone, somewhere, shall decide to go for a pure open world game in the silent Hunter 3 manner, yet adding that surface ship progression (think Euro Truck Sim 2) for how you grow your ports, your vessel types, among others. Something more like Silent Hunter 3 is severely needed. No turn based systems, no region locking in maps, just you & the ocean. You tasked with sinking the enemy, and you have at it by upgrading your vessels as you go. No MMO locks either.....

I tried 'Victory at Sea', 'Pacific Storm', and even 'Atlantic Fleet', yet those aren't hitting the desired Silent Hunter 3 spots. I was hoping for some RCN fun in this game, yet have to wait & see on that. World of Warships is in the right direction, just not where it needs to be in the Silent Hunter 3 open-world & progressive side. Everybody keeps dancing around what makes these games awesome that they fall short in important areas.

As for the game itself (sorry I rambled, yet that's how badly the WW2 naval genre is lacking) that the whole grim take on it is interesting. Your crew has thoughts, and each is important. That's similar to SH3, minus the fatigue. I recall having to get a 'Vitamin C' mod so my crew wouldn't become easily fatigued on simple short trips, boosting their performance & morale. It wasn't overpowered. It's neat seeing other submarines also roaming around, something which was also needed in Silent Hunter 3. This game has great potential, yet feel that it may be locked in a certain way that it shall also hurt those with short play-time session. It doesn't want to ruin the brutal war time atmosphere, as well as it's overly detailed realism in the models, yet I feel that when you screw up it'll force you to stay out of the game for how much progress has been lost. It worries me. I'm worried how much it shall punish you if you screw up. In Silent Hunter 3 you would load up your last saved game & start again from last save, or start a new career. I'm absolutely loving the weather effects, and the detail of things. I clearly see Silent Hunter 3 assets & vibe in it. The music itself that it has previewed screams Silent Hunter 3. :wub:

Lastly, I would love to see the likes of this campaign hitting $50,000 for multiplayer. It should surpass what co-op it had in SH3, yet aim for actual free-roam in a region. If anybody played 'Flight SIm X' using "FSHost' shall know where my thoughts are going. Even Euro Truck Simulator 2's unofficial multiplayer. You & your friend (or friends) roaming the seas, possibly in co-op or a campaign, to mess about highly. I really do want to see co-op in this game. 'Victory at Sea' should have had it, yet it updates so painfully slow it constantly shoots itself in the foot. There's tons of disappointment & frustrations in the naval genre that it's really depressing. Nobody seems to want to do "What's right', or "What's needed". They have the formula, the inspiration, yet highly fearful of inspiring from Silent Hunter 3 to free-roam things happily, more so for surface ships.

I wish UBOOT the best of luck!

Happy Hunting!

:ph34r:

Maybe it's wishful thinking, but part of me wishes that some games would feature Italian submarines as well...

It's often neglected, but Italian submarines did participate in the Battle of the Atlantic, and with some serious results. The highest scoring non-German submarine of the whole was did not belong with the US Navy or the Royal Navy, nor with the Imperial Japanese Navy, all three nations whose submarines fought a prolonged and gruesome fight, but it was one belonging to the Regia Marina, the Leonardo da Vinci.

Perhaps, but I still have to give Archerfish cred for the biggest fish ever bagged by a sub singlehanded...

Well, not the Italians' fault if there weren't any Yamato-class battleships or carriers on this side of the world, I'd say... :P

Also, allow me to say that it's one thing to happen on the best target ever to offer itself to a submarine, and another to rack up tonnage day after day, month after month.

Historynerd, you're my hero right now. Wish I would see more interest other than USA-defaulting all the damn time, while even wanting to see both Germans & Italians expanded on in KanColle with more submarines on both ends. I learned of the Adua-class submarines when the Italians came to reinforce the German navy I was fighting as the British, decimating my naval force in the process. Managed to survive that that battle by retreating my cruisers, yet was a painful lesson in dealing with the likes of submarines in the game called 'Victory at Sea'. The link to that is in my spoiler tag in the first post.

>Victory at Sea - Adua-Class Submarine battle: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=383176100

Italy could use more exposure all around, even on the submarines. It's even thanks to both KanColle & Victory at Sea that I learned of Italy's awesome might, both on the surface & underwater. People can mock the Italians as much as they desire, yet you can't deny their awesomeness. More so in KanColle because Littorio/Italia managed to save my fleet many times. Even partook in the same event I obtained her from, among others. Libeccio proved to be a tough little cookie, yet I have to train her up. I have yet to see Roma in combat, yet shall train her up also. Both Zara & Pola awaiting their turn also. Getting a nice happy family on both the German & Italian side that I'd love a submarine to join KanColle's Italy side; Adua-Class submarine doing nicely there.

Lastly, the whole bit of wanting 'Allied' submarines doesn't really bite me as much as wanting Italian submarines & the old SH3 subs I had. I wouldn't mind to test out Surcourf in a Silent Hunter 3 setting, or even testing out Russian submarines. Those, and even the Adua-Class Submarines of Italy which game me loads of grief at first, then a neat little admiration challenge. Managed to tame them with my Tribal-Class Destroyers by sitting on top of them. For Historynerd's sake also I'd love to see Italian submarines for UBOOT, and because Italians need the respect they also deserve, not just the USA or UK (Mostly USA). While rambling on, I need to bring up that if we do go Allied then UBOOT needs to pay HEAVY respect to the Dutch navy for having the highest tonnage sunk during WW2. Noticed they even had subs, if rare to find on listings. If we're going to have Allied submarines then add in the Russians & Dutch.

Forgetting to note (in this post) that co-op & Multiplayer being the more important features than Allied submarines, yet still neat if I do find Allied submarines. Italian subs should get their spotlight.

------------

Bonus: Click the 'Kickstarter link' then scroll down till you find a section saying "Soundtrack" (above 'water system). Now, play that track first, then this next track.I linked below.

(The track in the Kickstarter sounds like the beginning of this, vibe wise. Basically when you leave port to go cruising to your destination. The 'calm before the storm'.)

Yes, I've been itching to make a reply post while hoping someone would reply back in equal admiration/interest/curiousity. Hope someone still does! I'd love to see an Adua-Class submarine in UBOOT, KanColle, and even in Victory Belles.

And today I learned that the Regia Marina's submarines were quite a deadly force to be reckoned with. The only other time I read about them was in my book about USS Laffey. The US destroyer Laffey trained in ASW warfare with an Italian submarine crew. I didn't quite realize what a serious opponent such a ship was at the time- when I first read the book, I had very little grasp on the idea Italy had a navy in world war two at all- much less one that was on par or better than Germany. Now I am prone to gripe about how Germany's Kriegsmarine is lauded about and has its hordes of loyal fanboys and the Regia Marina so often goes without mention. While I concede that the U-boats were a deadly force and the only part of the Kriegsmarine to make a real impact on a strategic level, they weren't the only Axis subs lurking the seas and hopefully that'll be reflected in this game

Bonus points for them if they add in Finnish subs at some point. Even if it remains only KM I might go for it if the gameplay is amazing enough.

Historynerd, you're my hero right now.

And today I learned that the Regia Marina's submarines were quite a deadly force to be reckoned with. The only other time I read about them was in my book about USS Laffey. The US destroyer Laffey trained in ASW warfare with an Italian submarine crew. I didn't quite realize what a serious opponent such a ship was at the time- when I first read the book, I had very little grasp on the idea Italy had a navy in world war two at all- much less one that was on par or better than Germany. Now I am prone to gripe about how Germany's Kriegsmarine is lauded about and has its hordes of loyal fanboys and the Regia Marina so often goes without mention. While I concede that the U-boats were a deadly force and the only part of the Kriegsmarine to make a real impact on a strategic level, they weren't the only Axis subs lurking the seas and hopefully that'll be reflected in this game

Bonus points for them if they add in Finnish subs at some point. Even if it remains only KM I might go for it if the gameplay is amazing enough.

Whoa! :wacko:

I didn't expect to cause such a reaction. Not that doesn't please me, but I am a bit taken aback. I just wanted to point out that Italian submarines were many (the second submarine fleet in the world in 1940, behind the Soviet one) and they did their part.

I am glad, though, if my intervention did make people curious about them.

@Scootia After the Armistice, several Italian submarines were used as targets in mock ASW training for the US Navy. That's why the Laffey mentioned them.

Finnish submarines would be cool, too. An interesting detail, though, is that they had a batch of Italian torpedoes bought either before or during the Winter War, but they found them unreliable. Which is kind of strange, because usually Italian torpedoes performed better, without all the issues that plagued the Mark 14 or the G7.

Maybe the torpedoes the Finnish got where B grade goods, not suited for the temperature in the north, or the Finnish crew just didn't know how to handle them.

At some other points during WW2 we saw that good equipment got bad because it wasn't build to work under extrem conditions (even today some military equipment can't handle Siberian cold or the conditions of a desert).

Maybe the torpedoes the Finnish got where B grade goods, not suited for the temperature in the north, or the Finnish crew just didn't know how to handle them.

At some other points during WW2 we saw that good equipment got bad because it wasn't build to work under extrem conditions (even today some military equipment can't handle Siberian cold or the conditions of a desert).

I don't know, possibly. It seems they were not a stock of old torpedoes (as the Regia mARINA still had quite a bit of old 450 mm torpedoes), but were of the new type built for the Cagni-class submarine (a submarine cruiser that reverted to 450 mm torpedoes to stock more of them onboard, as those were seen as powerful enough to deal with merchantmen).

Yet that's what it's said:

It was later found out that the T/40 type torpedoes had faulty steering system, depth control and detonator.

Well, I'm asking if there's going to be any Adua-Class submarines in UBOOT yet waiting for a response now. Seems like everything slowed down that they just bunkered down, or timezones. I'm patient, yet hoping they'll at least consider it in some form to add in the lovely Adua-Class subs.

Glad you guys are also posting because it's liven things up. Glad to see more naval hype, but there's no denying that there needs to be a Silent Hunter 3 style open-world game still. Basically World of Warships pushed into a Silent Hunter 3 & UBOOT environment. That still needs to be done, yet someone has to be brave enough to get it done. Someone needs to tap into it.

Also, once again, thanks for bringing UBOOT to my attention in the update, and again via PM, Legate. Glad you mentioned it because it revives my faith just enough in the gaming industry again. I'm loving how you also have to take special care, but hoping it won't be stressful that it'll be a "week" game. Silent Hunter 3 was fun because it allowed you the freedom. Once a game holds you back it's no longer fun.

There's also this to admire - https://giphy.com/gifs/l0K4emMZ04fzUFoJy

AK;

Oh, no comment on the existence of Belles. I guess for some very famous ones I'll mention, but otherwise, you have to wait and see...;)

There must be *some* surprises at launch!

Hopefully UBOOT will be amazing- that's the thing with Kickstarter, though- it's our chance to help these forgotten beauties grow...;)

No comments on Italian Belles in Victory Belles? I didn't ask that, yet it at least gets that question out of the way. I would be expecting them, just something to be hidden until later. But when you do, you better get an Adua-Class submarine Belle in there so people can learn about them, similar to how I've become familiar to them in 'Victory at Sea' by being crushed in an a reinforcement assault.

So, I never did get a reply back to the Adua-Class Submarine making me more frustrated. That place was quiet with no sense of connection to the community. It just makes me view their community darker because they could have said "Sorry, we can't answer that right now", or something. I feel like those making UBOOT might be 'meme' lovers that I can't help but view them negatively. It makes me frustrated, but then again it's probably with the way I gave it a wall-of-text appearance. I'm just not good with words in the 2016 mark. Also because I'm frustrated there's still a giant naval gaming hole to be filled thanks to Silent Hunter 3 raising that bar so high up years ago.

I'm now going to expect mods to add in Adua-Class because that just irritated me. Community has more love that I'll just wait it out until they can give me some Italian love :D

-----------

Silent Hunter 3

I'm itching to share more Silent Hunter 3 goodies here, yet unsure if I should share in this forum/thread, or if I should make a new thread for it. I re-purchased Silent Hunter 3 on steam to then set my sub up with three transport kills on three patrols (1 on first, 0 on second, & 2 on third) in a German IIA.

[Review, if curious]

tumblr_o8h0iqfM5k1rp5j9to1_1280.jpg

- Somewhere around a stormy AN44 grid (Hartlepool) being assaulted by UK's planes. I'm lucky they can't aim, yet they did guess right a few times. Their guesses were somewhat strong. Granted, I had realism at 29% because I'm not in a mood for absolute crushing defeat.

tumblr_o8fqed8f5D1rp5j9to4_1280.jpg

- Sinking my second transport while finally learning how to speed up my fish.

tumblr_o8fqed8f5D1rp5j9to7_1280.jpg

- My third kill (Second on the third patrol) with this transport possibly being from Poland. I believe I sunk a polish transport.

tumblr_inline_o8fqbg9MN31r773x7_540.jpg

- Trying to ID the nation for this transport sunk. I believe it to be Poland. Nobody bothered to correct me so I'm going with what I know.

But ya, can't wait to get me my VIIB again, for the 3rd or 4th time, this time hopefully keeping it for good.

• 1 month later...

Alright, seems like UBOOT is still alive, yet I feel that it's still hiding away in that corner where it might still be punishing. Even so, loving where this update is going. More about the game, less about teasers.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1752350052/uboot-a-ww2-survival-sandbox/posts/1635853

Highlights:

1) You can choose ways to float your subs by dealing with sections. This is important when depth charged, rammed, and similar.

2) Menu view. Nothing special there.

3) Second image with the 'US Liberty Ship' shows gameplay related elements & features. The ships appear stunning, as with noting what's in the area for you to hunt. You can make note of shipwrecks below, something which would disappear after you've traveled away which shall be of use in this game. There's also various British & American vessels within the area, yet hoping for Silent Hunter 3 & beyond type nation variety. You have choices & some hand-holding information, if in a more modern take. Instead of a map you get HUD related informations.

4) Third image shows a diving suit allowing you to visit wreck sites, and such, for valuables. How it'll play a part of the game is interesting to see. I now would be amused if we could have Belles in VB do something along this lines in place of expeditions. SOmething you can interact & have a menu, or similar.

5) A 'lazy day at sea' simply shows how it's inspired from Silent Hunter 3 that both games are visually pleasing. The conning tower of the sub being awesomely detailed, as with the ocean. It's a very modernized SH3, yet worried about its crew-sim elements ruining things.

6) The section view is something they're highly proud & pleased with. You can't shun it, and nor would you. They're proud of how detailed their game is that I can see that pride & satisfaction. As it should be :P

Now, can someone also give us a much needed free-roaming surface ship game on SH3 & UBOOT level? Not the World of Warship crap..... :rolleyes:

--------

Also, belated notification that I acquired my trusty VIIB as U-52.

tumblr_o8hhj71DL11rp5j9to9_1280.jpg

I love this submarine :wub:[both games needing the Adua-Class Submarines. UBOOT, you know you want to add in the Adua Class submarines for that much needed Italian pride. Maybe eventually with the I-400 type Sentoku submarines.]

Archived