Black Chicken Studios Forums

Flow of Daily Gameplay

Nel Celestine

This topic is purely hypothetical at the moment. Please take it as such.

Based on conversations in the General Questions thread we now know that the game will flow in real time day by day. This brings to mind a couple things. Some problems, some solutions, some theories.

1. Everything happens in real time. Combat, Repairs, Building, Diplomacy, Supply runs.

Pros- Very realistic feeling

Cons- very slow. Open game, play for an hour, unable to play rest of the day

2. Some options locked into real time. Diplomacy, Supply runs and to a lesser extent repairs

Pros- more combat oriented with more sotries against the Morganas

cons- more risky to the player as repairs would take time and you might need your Belles the next day

3. Story & Diplomacy lock only

Pros- lots of gameplay everyday for an engaging experience

Cons- high risk of overextending ourselves and potential power creep of players over leveling.

These are just my thoughts, please feel free to post ideas and suggestions as well.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome, that seems to be the best option to allow players the most freedom while keeping the story locked proper.

Edit:

In regards to Hard Mode sorties, will the benefits scale with the difficulty spike? Also will some belles be Hard Mode only?

+1 post, Nel. and Thanks legate, hope this isn't too much info being revealed at once.

HEAR YE, HEAR YE, DEVS: WE LOVE OUR LEGATE. DON'T KICK HIM OUT OR PLAYERS WILL NOT BE HAPPY.

But on a more topic-related note: I was wondering about this strongly. It does seem a flaw in the game model that we would be playing in real-time. It's a great idea for those realism guys like myself (I would be totally fine with option 1, for example), but loses audience with the mobile game crowd in ability to manage and pass time.

So on to #3, which basically means the players who start early will get top-level ships and unite the world under a common banner of diplo channels within a month and a half of real-time, difficult to stretch out over a 5-year period. otherwise you would run the risk of too little reward over time for a given effort (a day's worth of quick sorties and completed campaigns isn't rewarded until real-world events take over a month later). It all seems a bit difficult to hold together for me.

Fifrein;

No, not too much, but remember: the formal Update will have the exact specifics. This is the general thought, though. :)

Story gameplay isn't the same as progression gameplay as you see in, for instance, Kancolle. You can play that game all day long (well, as long as you have the resources), and the same is true of Belles. But the Story unfolds in real time, and that's almost a separate track, if you see my meaning.

Metis;

I think it's too early to know exactly, but I'm sure you can expect nifty rewards at higher levels for completing such a challenge.

As one would expect. But if one is required to finish a high level challenge for something, doesn't that mean that you're effectively on a potentially years-long timer for a single chance to show you've grinded enough stats - potentially in real-time - to pass the inflated difficulty, with failure meaning you'll have to start mostly from scratch and try again on a NG+?

Fifrein;

No, not too much, but remember: the formal Update will have the exact specifics. This is the general thought, though. :)

Story gameplay isn't the same as progression gameplay as you see in, for instance, Kancolle. You can play that game all day long (well, as long as you have the resources), and the same is true of Belles. But the Story unfolds in real time, and that's almost a separate track, if you see my meaning.

I do see your meaning, but it occurs that some stories, (the belles' personal stories, for example) involve world events and taking action and sorties. Where do they fall? You could do the sorties in a day and be done successfully, but then you get only a minor reward specific to the belle (all of which will be gone in 3 months of game time), or a world-affecting change which won't happen until the real-world event. On the other hand, you could make the rewards and real-world effects match story time, but then it will take up to a year (maybe more) to complete the stories of all your favorite belles. I realize I'm reiterating my argument to counter a new one you gave me, but I still don't gather how it can hold together too well.

Fifrein;

If I understand your question correctly, it will take years to complete their Stories- they go all the way to '46, with multiple branches along the way. Their Stories can't be told all in one sitting, but unfold over time.

Campaigns are multi-faceted, though. That's more about choice: there are easier ways to do things, and harder ways to do them, both with their appropriate rewards. Which you choose is really more up to you, and the level of your Belle, I would think. ;)

Metis;

I suppose- but it seems common, at least, to me. I'm a veteran of MMOs and these mobile games, so event-based gameplay seems, well, normal. :)

Maybe it's just because I'm from a time where people "only" needed to sink 30-100+ hours into playing through a NG+ to unlock basically one extra fight that maybe gave something other than some dialogue, at most, but...gating something unique behind literal months or years of concentrated gameplay seems...unwise.

Unless it's a single achievement to troll achievement hunters, of course :rolleyes:.

Normal missions, in the War, yes.

But the Story missions, once completed, are complete- barring, of course, New Game+.

Will doing story missions on Hard vs. Normal net any benefits?

Okay, how about I put it this way, Legate: Say you complete a campaign for diplomatic channels. You get those diplomatic channels, and if I understand DCs correctly, you ally, say, France with Germany against the Russians and Morganas. This campaign, which I understand is completed through missions and not limited by how far the story has progressed (but maybe activated by it), is easily done within a week on the simplest difficulty. This has real-world effects and could maybe change or stop story events. In this way, I think the system is broken. You could complete all the available campaigns and ally all the nations under 1 banner within a given less than 5-year period of time and defeat the purpose of the war. Obviously there are likely safeguards or restrictions to diplo channels we haven't heard about yet to restrict this kind of thing, but this is where I think the model is flawed. There's so much that it seems you could do if you accelerate gameplay that would make absolutely no sense in a 1:1 time and world scale.

(this is, of course, coming from a player biased towards min/maxing a setting. If you want to make it realistic WWII, make it all realistic and have everything progress at a wartime pace. if it's arcady and taking place in a setting related to the war, don't put it on an epic grand scale that the game can't slow down to)

Guys, keep in mind there are over NINE MONTHS before the game is released. BCS must dole out info slowly or else they can't keep the public's interest over that time. I know you're all excited, but there are some really smart and creative people developing this. Legate is not a fox. Stop trying to corner him with the hounds. :P

I have a short attention span and should I stop having any updates or incoming info, it's hard to come back to something I haven't checked for a few days until a few months or years later, if at all. That said, I do agree that there's only so much we can grab from legate before he gets in trouble and none of us would be happy about that.

And I think Legate is quite foxy, thank you very much Yuri.

PS: Hey there, El!

I thought about making a foxy comment in that post, but my wife is now prowling these forums and I like to sleep on a bed and not a couch. :P

Elwan;

That's a good question- I don't know the answer to that one. ;)

I *suspect* you won't miss anything, but that may only be partially true.

Fifrein;

I think I understand your question- a few things: first, Diplomatic Channels are your own (remember that you are part of the League of Nations, although you may of course discreetly (or, not so discreetly) help out your home Nation. Those Missions affect the overall course of the War...but within limits. Think of it as enabling (or disabling) branching paths. If you support, say, Italy, very strongly, you can have them go down one route versus another. You cannot stop the War in '39 or anything like that, if that makes sense?

I think the most important way to answer this, though, is to realize that progression gameplay (levels, equipment) isn't the same as Story gameplay. They have a symbiotic relationship, but you could just level your Belles to Kingdom Come and never touch the story, if you wanted. At least from our point of view, one does not break the other. ;)

You're free to corner me, though. I just may not know the answer. ;)

Edit: If you haven't, you may want to read over the Update on the War, especially in regards to Plans...;)

Archived