Black Chicken Studios Forums

Preemptive request

Nel Celestine

Hey, I know this prolly is stupid and rather sure that you guys -won't- do this but, after this Mighty No. 9 stuff I need to ask this favour.

Please make sure that backers get the game on time or a -little- before general public. At the very least, the codes or what have you to download and install without being able to play yet.

Explanation:

I am a becker (Mighty No. 58049) and it's currently 9:18pm Mountain time. I backed the game three years ago at a digital tier and have yet to receive my game code to be able to download let alone play the game I helped fund. Meanwhile, my friend back east in Halifax (12:18am) is currently playing it because he pre-ordered on the PS4. It's really a headache and I am sure you will do your best not to let something like that happen.

Sorry if this seems dumb and pointless but I really wanted to get this out of my system and give a heads up that you are most likely already aware of anyways.

Cheers, Nel

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personal stopped to back games at Kickstarter because

1) It is known that games can fail and you end with nothing

2) Buy a game at this early stage increase the chance you don't like the game in the end

3) You pay for something where it will take years till you get your reward so its like a loan

4) Not few games where offered at a lower price then the backer had to pay around the release date +- 1-2 month, some where even in a cheap bundle within 3 month after release. Such thing is a no go given point 1-3

5) I still wait for my reward of a game that was released more then 1 year ago just because I prefer the promised DRM free release over Steam

6) Elite Dangerous cut the DRM free offline modus promised in the Kickstarter and then even told the backer they have no rights at all! In the end I got a partial refund but only after fighting for over 1 month, and no I didn't get anything for the money they keep.

Edit: About your point that backer get the game later then other customer isn't that normal given that people buy at steam get the game direct while the developer get the keys once the game is released and then still have to send them out what might end them in get on spambot blocking lists if they send to many at once.

Nel;

Only the Backers will be in the Beta, so that probably satisfies your number one criteria. :)

But for the actual release everyone has to come at the same time, since we begin on 1 September 1939.

Still, I'm sure there will be a few fun things in store for Backers. ;)

That's fine. Just hoping we can preemptively load the game onto our tablets / computers & maybe pre-make our accounts just not play.

Nel;

There was some discussion about early account creation, so you can reserve names, too. We'll see how it goes. :)

Thanks Legate. That means a lot to me. Nothing has to be solid yet of course. But the fact that this has been discussed fills me with hope that a situation like what is going on with Mighty No. 9 will be avoided.

japanese-bowing-2-depepi.com_.gif

Mighty No. 9 has been a mess. (Backer 44894) It almost stopped me from backing Victory Belles. But a discussion over on Youtube with a member of the staff changed my mind. But I just received word that at midnight it is showing up on your Humble bundle page. I still have almost an hour to wait.

Don't plan on allowing that to happen here. :)

I sure hope not. VB was my first ever KS and I likely went a little overboard in my support... ^.^;

Mighty No. 9 has been a mess. (Backer 44894) It almost stopped me from backing Victory Belles. But a discussion over on Youtube with a member of the staff changed my mind. But I just received word that at midnight it is showing up on your Humble bundle page. I still have almost an hour to wait.

Currently have my PSN codes but they aren't working. It's frustrating just wanting to play the game I paid for 3 years ago and knowing there are people playing it now that just bought it days ago.

I just had to read wiki find out what mighty No 9 is. It's probably a good thing I was ignorant of all this a month ago. O_o

Oh, and for the record. My daughter and her date are both anime fans and they had a lovely prom this past weekend. :-)

I just had to read wiki find out what mighty No 9 is. It's probably a good thing I was ignorant of all this a month ago. O_o

Oh, and for the record. My daughter and her date are both anime fans and they had a lovely prom this past weekend. :-)

Good for them! That's awesome. :)

People started whining about 'Under the Dog' that they wanted a refund because that Kickstarter got delayed by a few months to a year. Last Christmas (or maybe the one before that) I was supposed to get my soundtrack, yet never did, that it may now pop up around the August 2016 mark, along with the anime. I was never told this until I checked out the main Kickstarter page back in May, or so, that it was just odd. I'm hoping it can still recover, and if not, people shall be more hesitant than ever to back projects like this. It still has that time to recover & save face by releasing in August 2016, even showing people to be patient, yet I understand why they would be complaining.

Then there's Star Citizen where I bought a ship similar to a BMW type, yet have yet to find a way to install it & play it on my computer without switching out hard-drives every 3 months, or whatever. It's currently still in some confined testing space, yet it's gradually getting to a point where it's more playable as time goes on. I guess Star Citizen doesn't really count because I never did back it properly, only through Paypal, or something. I forgot how. I know I got one of those early 'BMW' type ships before the hanger update, and such, that I agree with the comment that everything is "on loan" that you simply move on into other games.

There's this [Victory Belles] where I'm hoping it'll live up to being a KanColle rival, just in that advertised 'Arpeggio of Blue Steel' manner by giving us that lovely variety also. Basically what 'Victory at Sea' has right now, yet more as time goes by. Loving how deep, detailed, everything is becoming. Even combat. Hoping to see VB evolve nicely, even if I did have help clouding this place up with the RCN side of things because of various reasons, something we should just keep under wraps now. I'm holding back on many fronts (including RCN side), yet wanting to see where the gameplay goes, the style, and how you guys shall deliver the whole game. One of my buddies is waiting for the android version while I wait for the 'web' version. I agree that the beta should be treated with the best treatment you can give it. That feeling of waiting during the Pokemon Gold, Silver, & Crystal era was brutal. That same feeling can be applied to anticipated games like this that when we do get it is to make it as 'smooth' as possible. Maybe even a little test field with a teaser Belle in a test field, or something. Whatever you have planned in the end. I'm now simply along for the ride.

Then there's that paranoid bit of UBOOT inspiring from Silent Hunter 3 & Das Boot. I'm worried about it being far too punishing and even trying to be far too gritty that I may just play it for a week then walk away from it. I backed it because of Silent Hunter 3, because the WW2 naval genre is lacking heavily, and that game developers need to push their skills to fill in the void (even for Victory Belle side also). I backed it because it proved to be worthy & of high praise, yet I only feel like crap because of the low hype & how silent everything was. I think this one shall be the 'odd one out' because of how the developer refused to comment about Adua-Class submarines & how I feel like it just wants to punish you for playing the game by keeping things super gritty. It's fine, just hoping there's some sort of safety net of some sort in a manner of "games are meant to be fun" type thing.

---------

My US KanColle comrade keeps echoing is solid thoughts that he refuses to back Kickstarters because of the high risks vs the low rewards. People have been shafted & there's no guarantee that you'll get what you pledged for, more so after all those horror stories of people taking the money & making a house out of it. He would rather dive in when the game fully goes live, or at least is accessible in the form already that you're simply helping it by keeping it alive through donation payments, or whatever it is considered as. What I did these 3-4 times would be seen as gambling to him, or so I'd assume, with how risky Kickstarters tend to be.

Well, at least what I backed seems to be trustworthy. I back making sure the sources is legit, yet even then I might end up getting burned by both 'Under the Dog' & 'UBoot. Time shall tell.

Also, please don't make a commercial that insults your core fanbase.

I assume there's an example somewhere? Are we still working off of mighty no. 9?

Edit: I did not properly refresh the page. Not gonna delete this comment, but you can ignore it.

To this anti Kickstarter sentiment we had here this recent news also add up:

ReRoll was crowdfunded and now the development on this game is stopped because the developer have no money left. The backer get now a different game that is worth less then what they paid for.

http://www.pcgamer.com/reroll-the-crowdfunded-game-that-wanted-to-scan-the-world-is-abandoned/

To counter all of this though, is the ambitious projects that have been successful or are still doing well such as Pillars of Eternity, the new Tides game which should release soon, and The Mandate, my favorite of my KS backings. It's vaporware at present with slow updates, but each update has enough data to make Mahan's head spin, and it looks like it might be something special. I've also put money towards physical games. Minis. You name it.

For truly ambitious things like Tides, The Mandate, Under the Dog, or creator driven projects like Iga's "Bloodstained Ritual of the Night" you need to remember you are not purchasing a game or making a pre-order in the normal sense. You are funding the game or whatever you're after. Yes, ambitious projects might fail... but they can succeed too, and without taking a chance there's no chance at all that some of these great projects would ever see the light of day.

Chins up lads and lasses. Taking a chance for something wonderful is still the right thing in many cases, even if you lose your gamble. Thankfully with BCS on the job, losing the role of the dice is not something I'm terribly worried about for Victory Belles.

S/F
TwoHeavens

Thankfully with BCS on the job, losing the role of the dice is not something I'm terribly worried about for Victory Belles.

A reasonable enough stance, but considering early game Academagia, I sure hope you're not assuming the same for rolling dice in Victory Belles...

BCS so far have managed to deliver the things they promised even if it usually took longer the expected. Only for Haldfast we still didn't get the App but instead we got 2 app from other games because Tinman decided to drop the App and we still have the chance to get the Holdfast app because a other developer took it.

BCS so far have managed to deliver the things they promised even if it usually took longer the expected. Only for Haldfast we still didn't get the App but instead we got 2 app from other games because Tinman decided to drop the App and we still have the chance to get the Holdfast app because a other developer took it.

Year 2 would like to say hi. Literally "would like to", because stuck in development Hell as it is it kind of...can't.

Archived