Black Chicken Studios Forums

Pokemon GO

ArcticuKitsu

Alright, who's having fun with this new hyped game for both android & iOS. I'm on the android, and in Canada, that I'm simply using the unofficial APK because of how screwy the developer team behind this are. So much conflict behind the scene that I'm even hearing about it, and Nintendo forcing it out on Niantic. That, and whomever controlled the Twitter social network assumed USA makes up the whole North America that they forgot both Canada & Mexico in there that there was a massive Canadian uproar. Oddly no Mexican rage, yet us Canadians being upset that we joked about #brexit from North America that we're no longer part of it.

----------

- Pokemon GO Homepage: http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-video-games/pokemon-go/

North American Trailer (American only):

The purpose of Pokemon GO is to use the GPS function & the back-facing camera to capture Pokemon, power them up, and to gym battle. The way you move in the real world influences how you Pokemon in the Pokemon GO world, as well as what Pokemon you encounter. Water Pokemon should appear near water (rivers & lakes), as well as flying in open fields, and similar. Lots of traveling to be had that even hatching eggs requires you to burn actual km/miles to hatch those eggs to hatch into actual Pokemon which then you can either give to the Professor for pokemon specific candy, or to raise as your own for PVP battles.

Micro-transaction is indeed a thing, yet it's a convenience thing. You would pay for more Pokeballs, incense (Pokemon come to you), lucky eggs, lure modules, incubators, bag upgrades, Pokemon storage upgrades, and coins to buy all these things. It's similar to KanColle where you can pay for such if you want, yet it's already free enough that you don't need to pay for their goods. This is if you don't have access to Pokestops & leashed to your own internet.

Later, you should be able to trade your Pokemon, as with actual PVP. As of release there are 117 Pokemon, more being added by the year, or eventually.

---------

My Experiences:

tumblr_o9z3ix2N2T1rp5j9to1_540.png

Even when leashed by the internet (no data plan on my phone) I can basically play being stationary where I live. I won't get Pokeballs & such because I can't get close enough to a Pokestop, yet they're dotted in a circle around my area, about 7, that I can simply get tons of Pokeballs and eggs as needed. Even at home, the incense is just something to boost spawning all that much more slightly (roughly 10% more), yet pokemon still reach me. My area is basically route 1 from the red/blue/yellow area that I can get get those love levels where I'm at. A Pidgeot & Seadra appeared, yet they're oddities in my area. Seadra came to me from a 'pond' area while Pidgeot came from a parkling lot area.

The Pokemon you can reach tend to be as far as a 5 minute walk across the street. Anything you can reach within 5 minutes is within your reach. Basically from here to many the next 5 houses over. I have two Pokemon gyms I can reach from my room, yet you need to be level 5. My trainer is level 4. I also wish I could get the stupid AR mode working so I can see Pokemon interacting around me. It's that small novelty I'm missing that's making this all the more enjoyable. It hates my phone, or Pokemon GO is still just that unpolished. It's frustrating. I want AR Mode to work on my phone!

tumblr_o9z3ix2N2T1rp5j9to2_250.png

My Pidgey is back! I can now raise it up to be my long-term. Pidgey used to be my flying & heavy attack Pokemon in the original three Pokemon games, then in Crystal, and then in the X&Y game. Never failed me.

tumblr_o9z3ix2N2T1rp5j9to3_540.png

Pokemon I caught when I posted this game.

You can also send any extra Pokemon back to the Professor for them candy to power up your Pokemon. As amused as I was when reading Americans & 1 Dutch going out to have their exercise (I wasn't tuned into Australia & others) that I laughed a lot at their silliness. I can now see why, and I want to do so myself, yet stuck leashed to my internet. I can only stay within my room, or home, yet still able to grab Pokemon. It's an awesome game which can even be so much more, if Niantic keep adding onto it. I laughed at people going into parks, their apartment parking lot, going into other people's backyards, and such. It's so silly, yet I can see why. It's even got people driving their cars, going cycling, and simply going out. People have done very silly things. It's a simple game, yet it's quite addictive for how simple it is, yet it obviously needs more. We shall have more PVP options, yet hoping we also encounter PVE related trainers. Just something for the fun of it, immersion, and such.

Imagine if Victory Belles had a phone app which made you look around for blueprints, spies, or something in your area. Imagine how those groups of people would be going about, if a third of what Pokemon influenced people to do. It be gimmicky, yet be amusing with whatever they can brainstorming to do with it.

I now need to find out where Vulpix roams around so I can pamper my Vulpix in my "Kitsune curiousity" manner for my love of Japanese kitsune (fox girls) heh. Vulpix, Ninetails, Zoroark, & Fennekin. They shall be ones I shall be seeking from this day onward.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pokemon Go is out in Australia, Netherlands, and even USA. There's an unofficial APK i'm using to play it up here in the forgotten strong & proud north. You should see these battles of a yellow gym turning red, and a white gym turning red. Ottawa shall be dominated by red :P.

Also, Dano is just salty this game is genuinely fun in its simple novelty fun. It's still fresh out of the gate, yet it's still a game. I can't play gameboy games anymore because they're constant rehashes that when you finish the story you're actually done with the game. Pokemon Crystal is the only thing I can respect because it had two regions, yet it should have kept going further. It always took one step forward, many steps back. Pixelmon is where Pokemon should be going, in a Lego Worlds type manner, yet Nintendo is stuck keeping it on Gameboy. Android is the next best thing, yet it needs to follow Lego Worlds & Pixelmon.

Also, the stabbing news is fake, yet the battery drain, GPS drifting, and AR Mode not working are true. I can't get AR Mode to work, and it's pissing me off. I want to see Pokemon in my scenery T_T

Awesome. It be worthwhile of your time, if at least for a week. As mentioned, general PVP & trading shall be a thing, yet it needs Pokemon Amie related features to become more attached to your Pokemon. We'll have to see how they shall keep this all afloat because the pay method is one where it's too lax that what's in the shop is something you really don't need. Maybe more incubators, the lure device, and bags, yet we'll have to see as gen 2, Gen 3, and etc pops out.

Also, I lied when I said 117 pokemon are available. I have 117 unlocked because of Seadra, something I gained from using one incense to lure them to me. I'm leashed my my internet. It only goes as high as you've encountered. Apparently there's a legendary Mewtwo in downtown Ottawa in the Rideau area, yet that has yet to be verified officially. I can't go there, and I need to find a data plan from my phone provider which may allow me to play Pokemon GO, as well as other games. $60 is quite steep for me.

Hope the official Pokemon GO releases in Canada, and the remaining nations. The servers are so unstable that it be a week or two before it settles.

I'm too busy playing a real Pokemon game to care, don't see any point in raging that we don't have some crappy mobile spin-off.

Pretty much this. I mean apparently I could have the crappy spin-off (entirely in English, per usual, I'm sure <_<) if I actually had a phone or...thing...oh what do the kids call it this week? I can never keep track. Anyway, this one doesn't matter. Just another attempt at pushing through a fad that doesn't accomplish it's stated goal even if it does "succeed". And micros in a Pokémon game? Eh, how 'bout no? Hasn't there been enough of a trend of kids and micros not working out already? And again the problem of "and then what?" - are people still going to be trying to climb chimneys to catch a Haunter and trade them with their friends to get a Gengar two or three years from now? What happens when phone providers or whoever pays for them decides those APKs aren't bringing in enough cash, so they shut them down? Goodbye game, got nothing to show for it. I'm still ticked off that Emerald won't easily let me 'Shark a few things for testing/bugfixing/general mayhem purposes because it just thinks it's so relevant in meta-game PVP and stuff. You're a dead fish, game, let me dissect you already!

I'm too busy playing a real Pokemon game to care, don't see any point in raging that we don't have some crappy mobile spin-off.

Haha! I don't especially like where the most recent main series Pokemon games are going. (My beloved Jolteon got nerfed) I absolutely have no interest in crappy mobile spin-offs either.

Imagine if Victory Belles had a phone app which made you look around for blueprints, spies, or something in your area. Imagine how those groups of people would be going about, if a third of what Pokemon influenced people to do. It be gimmicky, yet be amusing with whatever they can brainstorming to do with it.

*open app in toilets for gentlemen*

*see belles inside urine bowls*

Really, you object to Jolteon getting nerfed (is Jolteon even good? I've played too many randomizers...) but not the patronizing hand-holding, the logic-defying railroading and broken bridges, the event-locked content (which, naturally, means it's lost forever short of hacking the game), the insanity of needing badges to convince a fish or bird to use Surf or Fly outside battle, or Earthquake? I will say in GO's defence that at least it doesn't require a twelve-year-old to take down multiple criminal syndicates in order to cross a bridge. Or catch various avatars of elements, abstract concepts or literal PokéGods in order to complete a low-tech Poképedia for some lazy SCIENCE guy who's job consists of standing around and spouting the same nonsense like most other NPCs. Oh, and we're not at a point where we can digitize living beings into computable data, E-mail that over the internet, and have a machine on the other side of the planet re-molecularize (...word :blink:?) that data into a functional living being, but our mobile phones can only be recharged by walking around.

Gods, was that the singular most stupid moment I've seen in any game.

Well, to be fair, that was just one example. I hate the super evolution concept. I also hate the bullshit pokegods crap too. But Jolteon has been my absolute favorite for as long as the series existed. It's personal. Jolteons can't really do much except special attack with electricity, it was it's one super great attribute with speed. They nerfed special attacks all over the board, and didn't bother to give dedicated special attackers anything to compensate.

But to be fair I don't have a 6th gen game so I don't know too much about it. The series hit it's pinnacle in 4th gen. Though 5th gen wasn't terrible, but I think it's all downhill from here.

I burned out on the third gen. At that point I realized how much content was locked behind the Crystal/Emerald/Platinum/whatever re-releases and ingame items you could only get through RL events that never took place locally, as if that even matters 5+ years after the fact, so I just gave up. Like I said, I only heard Deoxys' 3rd gen battle theme - or, heck, even learned that such a thing exists in the first place! - because of the randomizer replacing Zapdos with Deoxys in my Fire Red randomizer murder road trip. And of course you can't shark those items into your inventory, because than the game gets uppity that you're cheating and everything goes to hell.

Beyond that my problems are with the "story", such as it is in the first three games. Mainly the fact that for all the "weak 'mons aren't bad mons" this and "treat them like your friends" that there's nothing in the game that actually corroborates those ideas. You need strong mons to kick the local criminal syndicate's ass before you can walk across that one broken bridge to get to and murder the E4, which is and has always been the only recognized end goal of any of the main games, and while mons have a literal Friendship value in gen 2+ it often does nothing. What does get you something is having a dedicated HM slave, because than you have one party slot dedicated to a throwaway Max Revive monkey with all the terrible HM moves (especially since in gen 1 and 2 Flash is actually necessary, if you're not crazy) as opposed to four or five slightly gimped good mons with a relative dud move. You can even use the generally lower level HM slave and his bad moves to weaken, rather than KO, a low level encounter for catching. Which is fantastic is you randomly encounter a shiny in lower level areas.

In fact, let me just say that the entire HM mechanic is terrible and shouldn't have been in gen 1, let stand remain all the way to gen, what, 7 now? Hard to imagine Red/Blue coming out on the original Gameboy, now.

Fun Fact: I actually used a Jolteon in my randomized Crystal murder road trip. I needed an elec type to round out the team, but the Pichu I was using was taking forever and a year to finally get his Friendship up high enough to turn into a bigger electric rat, though being in gen 2 I couldn't turn him into an even bigger electric rat afterwards because, well, no stones. So the tiny rat was double gimped. Ultimately I ended up using a (traded) Jolteon, and I soon regretted not having him in my team since square 1. Really useful bugger with the defence to not fold over like a house of cards as soon as an Earthquake looks at him funny, plenty of speed to ninja the first turn, and the special attack to fry whatever is in front of him.

Actually, In gen 1 it is wholly possible to get through rock cave without flash. I've played so many 'no catch' runs through there it's second nature to me. Getting a charmander, buying a magikarp, trading (bought) coins for a dratini, and finding the eevee gives more than enough oomph to win. Doesn't give you 10 found in the 'dex to get hm05 though. To be fair Strength and surf are genuinely decent moves.

I know it's wholly possible, I've done it multiple times as a kid because my lack of understanding English at the time meant I never managed to find Flash until much later. It's just painful if you don't know the exact steps, and guess how good kids are at figuring out/remembering 40+ directions. As for the game corner coins, though, I actually 'shark the slot machines so that they're constantly on "3 coins inserted" mode. Set the a button to auto-fire and watch the coins roll out. I was laughing hard when I first figured that out in Fire Red. Team Rocket running a racket with laundering stolen 'mons or whatever through the game corner? I hacked a slot and cleaned them out, with none being the wiser :).

Surf is definitely a good move, and Strengths is serviceable if you don't have a high friendship 'mon and a (one-use) Return TM around. The problem is that having a water mon, a flying mon and some manner of HM slave in every team limits your options with regards to what other types you can add so that you've got everything covered. This problem is even worse in a randomizer run, because with randomized stats you can't do anything but hope that you've got a decent mon with decent stats with the type you need, catchable in an area you can access at that point in time. Gen 3 doesn't have the physical/special move separation yet, so a water type with crud special attack is next to useless because every water attack is special. Sure, teach it non-water moves, but STAB can be the difference between victory and defeat. Far more so than in vanilla you need fantastic mons with good IVs and everything, because if a gym leader rolls a fast tank you can't counter than you're literally stuck. My Emerald game almost ground to a halt because the first gym leader rolled a Jynx that was faster than my entire team and easily killed everything before they got a turn. If I didn't have access to Shedinja, who's Wonder Guard made it immune to the Jynx' every attack, that'd have been game over right there.

Pretty much this. I mean apparently I could have the crappy spin-off (entirely in English, per usual, I'm sure <_<) if I actually had a phone or...thing...oh what do the kids call it this week? I can never keep track. Anyway, this one doesn't matter. Just another attempt at pushing through a fad that doesn't accomplish it's stated goal even if it does "succeed". And micros in a Pokémon game? Eh, how 'bout no? Hasn't there been enough of a trend of kids and micros not working out already? And again the problem of "and then what?" - are people still going to be trying to climb chimneys to catch a Haunter and trade them with their friends to get a Gengar two or three years from now? What happens when phone providers or whoever pays for them decides those APKs aren't bringing in enough cash, so they shut them down? Goodbye game, got nothing to show for it. I'm still ticked off that Emerald won't easily let me 'Shark a few things for testing/bugfixing/general mayhem purposes because it just thinks it's so relevant in meta-game PVP and stuff. You're a dead fish, game, let me dissect you already!

Salty as Dano is. Can't tell if this is heavy sarcasm or just pure hate to be hip, but wow......Everything is just off here.

It's still a sweet game, regardless. It's simple novelty which makes this fun. It still needs improvement, yet it's awesome regardless. Micro transaction is a game is a choice. You don't really need to touch it, and I explained it in my first post that you can simply go to a Pokestop to get those things. It's only there if you feel like spending money because you believe you're rich, or something like KanColle where you need more incubators, Pokemon lure devices, and such. It's only there if you need it & you want it. It doesn't really want your money, yet. Pokestops spoil the hell out of you with 7 in my area willing to give me everything the store has.

Also, seeing as how there's really no "real" Pokemon game this is also sweet in its own way also.

Not sure what your Haunter/Gengar comment was because I'm still in my room able to catch Rattata & Pidgey from across the street. You can catch Pokemon roaming about within a casual 5-10 min walk. You don't have to be in a very specific & precise spot to capture them. Just in the general area. Basically shouting distance.

As for the game being shut down, I won't see that happening unless they're Konami. I'll give the game a good 10 years, then it's fine to see it go. Blame Nintendo & Gamefreak for not making a Pixelmon & Lego World inspired game, yet keeping to the shitty rehashes for gameboy. Nothing to show for it? Did you have fun? Yes? Good. That's what you have to show for it. You gained experiences you can now use elsewhere & for other games. You have images, tweets, tumblr postings, as with this thread.

I'm pretty chill with this game that I see nothing wrong with it. It obviously needs updating and more features, yet it's still fresh out of the gate.

Well, I dunno. I tend to play with only around 4 mons on my team with variable-type moves. The extra XP makes you stronger than is average, and I can win pretty handy that way, but the latest games nerfed that too by reducing xp gain the higher level you are. Meaning there's no reason to keep 2 slots open.

Salty as Dano is. Can't tell if this is heavy sarcasm or just pure hate to be hip, but wow......Everything is just off here.

Little of column a, little of column b. The only detail is the fact that it's "hip" doesn't matter to me, whatever definition that term goes by this week, I'm salty on principle.

It's still a sweet game, regardless. It's simple novelty which makes this fun. It still needs improvement, yet it's awesome regardless. Micro transaction is a game is a choice. You don't really need to touch it, and I explained it in my first post that you can simply go to a Pokestop to get those things. It's only there if you feel like spending money because you believe you're rich, or something like KanColle where you need more incubators, Pokemon lure devices, and such.

Perhaps at first, but I don't trust those micros to not become invasive sooner rather than later. Stuff like this isn't made for the sake of it, people are expecting a return on their investment, and not just an amount that allows them to break even, either. Somehow, some way, this is going to end up becoming a total money sink. It's just a matter of when that happens.

Also, seeing as how there's really no "real" Pokemon game this is also sweet in its own way also.

Neither is GO. Those AR illusions are no more data than the mons on a gameboy. Getting kids to go outside for once, sure. But that shouldn't take this technological madness.

Not sure what your Haunter/Gengar comment was because I'm still in my room able to catch Rattata & Pidgey from across the street. You can catch Pokemon roaming about within a casual 5-10 min walk. You don't have to be in a very specific & precise spot to capture them. Just in the general area. Basically shouting distance.

Sooner or later such distances are going to become a problem, it's just a question of when and where. As for the Haunter/Gengar comment, it's one of the trade evolutions. So, on practically all gens that isn't the current one, the latter is impossible to get (shy of 'sharking or hacking, of course).

As for the game being shut down, I won't see that happening unless they're Konami. I'll give the game a good 10 years, then it's fine to see it go. Blame Nintendo & Gamefreak for not making a Pixelmon & Lego World inspired game, yet keeping to the shitty rehashes for gameboy. Nothing to show for it? Did you have fun? Yes? Good. That's what you have to show for it. You gained experiences you can now use elsewhere & for other games. You have images, tweets, tumblr postings, as with this thread.

10 years is a very generous lifetime. For reference, Emerald was released roughly 11 years back, and the GBA had a lifetime of ~4 years (released 2001, replaced by DS late 2004/early 2005). Mobile phones are lucky to last 10 months, from what I've heard, even models that are kept around despite being obsoleted have their battery die after a year to a year and a half of use. As for having nothing to show for it, those experiences with having a fun game to play will not serve you well when you realize that game was shut down and that fun is something you might never experience again. Sure, "let go and move on", but that mentality can be misinterpreted.

Well, I dunno. I tend to play with only around 4 mons on my team with variable-type moves. The extra XP makes you stronger than is average, and I can win pretty handy that way, but the latest games nerfed that too by reducing xp gain the higher level you are. Meaning there's no reason to keep 2 slots open.

That xp gain change is actually a fantastic boon for a randomizer playthrough, since it lets you train up mons insanely quickly so you can check their stats/movesets and see if they're worth putting on your team. Also for randomizer playthroughs, there's absolutely no way to know what's coming, so you really can't afford to leave any potential type hole open. You have no idea how often I've encountered a mon with a really rare double-typing that rendered my two main counters either ineffective or at risk of being nuked. And you never know what moves/stats a randomized team of random mons can bring against you.

Metis, you seem to have had very bad experiences playing Pokemon. Have you considered playing vanilla, without a randomizer? I loved the games when I played them and I agree that they're better than pokemon GO. They're better than GO, because while it may have been nonsensical, they had a story, and a fun one too.

However, I must stress that this is the Victory Belles forum. There have been a couple threads posted pushing the line, such as the Kancolle thread. Threads like this are just straight up unrelated though. Much as I appreciate the enthusiasm for other games, their discussion belongs on their respective forums. I think the final call is of course up to legate, but I for one prefer to keep things organized instead of a jumble of different unrelated topics.

I've played vanilla since gen 1, and only learned of the randomizer since...last year or so? My bad experiences from playing the games mainly come from the fact that my copies weren't translated back when I hadn't taught myself English yet (meaning no idea what moves were/did, what (key) items did, what anyone said, among other things...), features like trading that practically no longer works in this day and age and everything keyed to it (like getting Gengar/Machamp/Golem/Alakazam, some of my more favorite mons in fact), the whole "one game for the price of three" aspect, and the odd thing present ingame that can't be accessed/don't do anything because they're keyed to event items that weren't handed out locally back when the games were relevant, much less now (the forest shrine in Gen 2, anyone?). Rest assured, the randomizer isn't the cause for my griefs, it's what solved a few of those problems (like me finally having a Golem, Alakazam and Machamp in my team during the Crystal randomizer run :). Gengar rolled terrible on his stats/moveset, unfortunately).

In fact, for Emerald you can actually randomize a copy of Emerald 386, a romhack that makes it possible to catch all the mons (not easily, mind, but possible). Meaning that you've got a normal randomized Emerald, but with access to a ton of TMs that shops now sell, and the department store sells those pesky event items so you can do those things as well. It's a vast improvement over vanilla, it just doesn't change enough.

And yes, it is the VB forum, but there isn't an off-topic forum where this might theoretically belong in. Legate's call, though.

The gen 5 EXP patch, or at least the version that the randomizer puts in gen 2 so don't ask me how it actually works in B/W, largely solves that problem. Low-level mons get truckloads of exp when beating a higher level mon, and yes, sticking an EXP Share on them works...in random'd gen 2, at least. Again, not sure if the same is true for gen 5, but in gen 2 you can train up a level 2 mon to level 40 in, what, under 20 minutes or so. Normally, it'd take hours.

Archived