Black Chicken Studios Forums

Pokemon GO

ArcticuKitsu

^ Sweet.

Also, I can now see why activity drops when you see gyms with 1000+ CP Pokemon. You stand no chance so you just walk on. That, and my inventory is now full that I just don't do Pokestop runs anymore. You also have to travel further, and the common sense type things people already knew. The gyms with 1000+ CP offending me the most because there's just no fun to it. That, and people being stupid humans that they must ruin everything for other people by playing through their PC, not in person. Trying to be special when they really aren't. The whole fun is in traveling with your phone, yet people just want to have small brains.

Well, I'll be playing Pokemon GO more calmly now by allowing my eggs to hatch, see what Pokemon comes around, as well as waiting to see what the Pokecenter does. I'll expand my inventory once I get a good phone because I just can't justify putting cash in right now when Grimer crashes the Pokemon GO app on my phone on profile viewing.

It's a great game, just needs more patience in waiting. It was pushed out a bit prematurely, yet is still a nice strong game. It's a shame people have to ruin everything for other people >_>

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ Sweet.

Also, I can now see why activity drops when you see gyms with 1000+ CP Pokemon. You stand no chance so you just walk on. That, and my inventory is now full that I just don't do Pokestop runs anymore. You also have to travel further, and the common sense type things people already knew. The gyms with 1000+ CP offending me the most because there's just no fun to it. That, and people being stupid humans that they must ruin everything for other people by playing through their PC, not in person. Trying to be special when they really aren't. The whole fun is in traveling with your phone, yet people just want to have small brains.

Well, I'll be playing Pokemon GO more calmly now by allowing my eggs to hatch, see what Pokemon comes around, as well as waiting to see what the Pokecenter does. I'll expand my inventory once I get a good phone because I just can't justify putting cash in right now when Grimer crashes the Pokemon GO app on my phone on profile viewing.

It's a great game, just needs more patience in waiting. It was pushed out a bit prematurely, yet is still a nice strong game. It's a shame people have to ruin everything for other people >_>

Just want to address some points here to help you out.

Getting a 1k CP pokemon is not overly hard, the issue is player level. The higher your level, the higher base CP pokemon you will find and the higher you can raise them. I just hit 20 and now a lot of my base pokemon CPs are 300ish on average.

In regards to inventory, a suggestion I would offer is this. If you are not tackling gyms (I usually don't for the most part) then you don't need potions and revives so toss most of them. Keep a small number for when you do try a gym. My inventory is 20 of my highest potion and 10 revives MAX. This frees up a large amount of inventory space. Secondly, use berries more often. It helps keep Pokemon from running away while trying to capture them. If you find you don't need many berries (you will at higher levels) then keep that total down as well.

I haven't spent a single buck on PokemonGO but I just hit 20 today and usually tackle a gym either on the way to or home from work. Once you hold a gym you can claim a defender bonus in the shop. Defender bonus is 10 coins and 500 stardust per gym you have a Pokemon guarding. That's the main reason people are putting higher Pokemon in gyms honestly.

In regards to Gym attacks. Remember two key things.

1. You get to bring 6 Pokemon in per person attacking the gym. The gym only gets X Pokemon to defend with where X is equal to the gym level.

2. Even if you don't defeat EVERY Pokemon in the gym, it will take reputation damage. Once it falls below certain values it drops in level and the lowest CP Pokemon defender is booted out. This means one less defender between you and claiming the gym.

Hope these tips help you enjoy the game a bit more.

Nel Out~

I'm going to be pleasing Metis with these two bits of news now. It looks like Niantic just committed two gaming taboos by pissing off their fanbase in the process

1) Pretending like a 3-step glitch doesn't exist by bandaid fixing the issue by removing it. That is fine, yet they didn't comment if they're going to fix it or not.

2) Removing Pokevision & Pokestop, among others, from assisting players. I was studying it, even adding what was where on Pokestop into my region. It now frustrates me that they would remove something that should be considered a Pokedex. This is a real d*** move. Was neat putting in hotspots in 'Pokestop' of what pokemon appeared where, and similar.

3) SHould be first, yet failing to be open-ended. They're not communicating with their fanbase that it's also hurting them.

I don't want to compare them with Konami, yet it seems like they want to be underlings here. They purposely want to mess with gamers that Metis just might be right in every regard. That, or they took a very brutal misstep that it's like accidentally stepping on a landmine & blowing your limps off.

Yeah, just make a free-roaming Pokemon game on the level of the games I mentioned before..........

As for Nel's reply, many thanks.

I was aware, yet don't really care about managing my inventory. I already have it set that I only need 1-4 pokestops to & from work. I catch Pokemon as I travel to and from work that it's no big deal. just made level 10 showing how much I travel about while focusing more on KanColle, and such. Rising World, KanColle, and Shooter Girl. Sometimes ETS2 & ATS.

I"m keeping away from gyms until I know I can take them, which is rarely now. Because I'm progressing so slowly I'm not really equal to anybody else in my area so things are much slower. It seems everything settled down that everything is takling slower to change, yet it still does change. I see it changing, just in a slower manner.

Yeah, Niantic now needs to add Pokemon Amie type features & such. More encounter types, that Pokemon Center feature, among others. I'm now gradually siding with Metis that Niantic is making me irritated with how little they communicate. I'm spoiled by Mojang before they got lazy & arrogant. Even spoiled by the developer from Rising World, as well as this place now. There's just more feedback that we'd naturally gravitate to those with feedback. Not really roaming about UBoot community because it's silent.

But yeah, here's to seeing slow updates from a 15 developer studio. I'm trying to be patient, and I guess I am by playing other games. Just seeing what they're releasing while they're also probably overheating from stress.

New update is so much rage. "What? There's a bug with the distance meter? Well, we COULD fix it, or, and I think we'll agree that this is the best option, we could remove the feature entirely!"

I've also heard that some people lost all of their data, and they countered all tracker apps. Harsh man, harsh.

Yeah, the 3 step glitch was a bandaide fix, similar to Mojang's boat fix for Minecraft by making it invincible & just making varieties of it. And the same crap with the fossils. The three steps is indeed bothersome, yet I don't really rely on it. It's been useless since day one because all I look for in that radar is what's in the area, and it's not guaranteed I'll get it. Maybe later, but not then. I could use it to tell me what's native to the area & what to expect for later.

Also, the map thing itself is truly a d*** move because myself & others were using it to study what's in an area, just as how we were using the Pokemon display in the area. I actually put markers down on the site called 'Pokestop' for my area of what pokemon appeared where, just as I did with one or two missing Pokestops. Pokevision was a Pokedex that we never had because it was also in one of those Pokemon X&Y games, or maybe all of the newer ones above Black & White. I think every gameboy game, thus Niantic being retarded on this part.

I saw an interesting comment on Youtube about this:

it has a meaning since what Niantic is worried about is the games life expectancy. you have some people who collected the majority of their new pokemon which they shouldn't have found for a couple of weeks in merely days. sure it is a dick move but it is a smart move

Then that's a stupid way to go about it. Worry more about slowing down the CP stuff by also adding in Pokemon GO. Worry about Pokemon spawning frequencies, among other things. Add actual features, not just worry about Pokemon catching. I also just mentioned Pokedex radar of what Pokemon can be found where so that's not really a smart move. Sonny J, I call you an idiot on that part because that should be a standard feature that Niantic fumbled, thus now a major gaming taboo. Don't screw around with the fanbase! That's a big no-no! :)

Also, yeah, it's not a good time to be playing Pokemon GO right now from the looks of things that it's just going to make Metis say "I TOLD YOU SO! YOU SHOULD HAVE LISTENED TO ME, YOU IDIOT!", and we should have. As a stupid Canadian myself I was trying to give Niantic the benefit of the doubt, and they betrayed us by performing gaming taboos. That, and Dschunks is right when he said that game saves are being deleted. It seems that either Niantic just don't care, being too clumsy, and/or also being overworked to the point mistakes and errors are happening. Nintnedo should be helping Niantic at this point by giving them their staff.

What I'm seeing here is an instance of Niantic not doing their research, getting caught flat-footed and saving their skins through a strategy of "indiscriminately throw fire everywhere until all out problems burn down, than focus on damage control". I imagine they never really considered what it means for GO to be a mobile game, as opposed to a proper game, especially in this day and age of fanbases having very easy and accessible communication lines. Literally playing the game on the same device that was originally designed for that exact purpose, even...

If I'm right what'll come next are the excuses for Niantic's shortcomings, and pay close attention to what those excuses are. If the excuses have no thought put into them at all just put down GO and call the fad over, if only for your own sake, because Niantic will be going full Konami/Camcom/what have you and it'll just end in tears if you don't jump off the sinking ship sooner rather than later. For reference any excuses involving blaming others exclusively ("certain individuals in charge of Pokéstops added unintended features to the game that we have removed") or anything that includes the words "artistic" and/or "vision" ("we intended for the game to replicate the feel of the main games, so the features were removed because they didn't fit our vision of the game") are excuses with no thought put into them. Incidentally, if there are no excuses at all simply treat them as excuses with no thought put into them. Literally.

If the excuses are logical-sounding, but upon closer inspection complete BS ("our entire user-base doesn't share one common language, so communicating with it is unfortunately not simple" despite the literal flood of GO news everywhere), Niantic is short-sighted at best so proceed with or without GO at your discretion. At worst they're a slightly less detached from reality Konami/Capcom/what have you in the making, in which case the above advice applies.

If the excuses are pragmatic, but showing signs of laziness ("we can't account for every possible hardware/software/provider combination of all devices our users use, so the odd bugs are unfortunately inevitable"), proceed with the GO-ing but keep an ear to the ground and your save file frequently backed-up. If you can back-up your savefile, at least, though if you can't you ought to know what you've signing up for.

If the excuses are straightforward and honest than the company is either staffed by Great Old Ones or humanoid snakes that are devious in the extreme. Either way reformat your GO device and maintain a healthy distance until the situation changes.

That's modern game development for you. I was watching a speedrun of banjo-kazooie some time ago, and the folks running the VGDQ managed to get Grant Kirkhope on the phone for a portion of it, and he said something along the lines of Rare telling nintendo that the game would be ready when Rare said that it was ready and not a day before, because nintendo was pressuring them to release it faster. Since games ran on cartridges back then it would have cost millions to do a recall if some nasty bug was discovered after release, so they waited until things were more polished.

I really miss the old days of gaming.

Anybody remember this bug? When I came across it, I was mightily pissed, I tell you.

Never played New Vegas, but I did play an unpatched version of Oblivion on the 360. Every last questline irrevocably broke on me at one point, a few times in ways that bugtesters shouldn't or even couldn't have missed. There were also a few bugs that I could never make sense of. For instance, I couldn't use Shadowmere the invincible horse as a make-shift storage because attacking my own horse the game considers as stealing 0.5 gold from myself, meaning I'd get fined for "theft" and also kicked out of every guild I'm a member of for stealing from a fellow Guild member - namely, myself. Because I punched my own horse.

Skyrim is buggy as hell that it's even a miracle it even runs. Skyrim's game programming is like those cardboard lids being held up that any slight breeze causes the game to crash, freeze your whole computer, crash to desk top, or whatever it does. Modding just makes this worse that it's far more of a miracle that it even runs on it's one, more so with. I do have fun with it when I can manage to hold those figurative cardboard flaps up, yet stupid things constantly happen that it keeps kicking me out. What I hate about Skyrim is how fragile it is, and how the map isn't endless. The game would have been awesome if it kept expanding outward in a Minecraft, Rising World, or Lego Worlds manner (even if I hate Lego Worlds for not being survival oriented).

Even Rockstar is pissing me off with how they performed gaming taboos by harassing & bullying modders wanting a dedicated server type GTA online that we're stuck with their stupid public servers. There's no dedicated servers, nor do they want one. Dedicated servers being the better way to go about this. I guess Rockstar themselves are fine, yet it be the publisher behind them stirring up crap that I'm having less & less respect for American games because they're far too greedy & everything being sloppy. Yes, it's a wide category, and it's wide for a reason & why I'm constantly disliking & distrusting any American game which forces me to side with Japanese made games. GTA 5 in itself is neat, yet it's the online you see all the bullcrap with sloppy coding, chunky feeling in menus, incomplete content, being forced into highly toxic public lobbies, and just an outright mess. I had more fun on PS3 than on PC because there was more control on PS3. GTA 5 Online is just a mess that I can see why Roosterteeth plays on Xbox One.

As for Pokemon GO, that's just annoyingly adding to my hate & constant burn towards North AMerican made games. Having to play KanColle, Shooter Girls, various Gundam games, among others. Granted, even the Japanese are screwing around with their own games that they can't make games on their own. But when they do, they do tend to be enjoyable and fun, something missing from North American type games. Those simple silly fun moments. Even the perverted 'Illusion' made games tend to be fun in those experimental manners. They're trying, and they're getting places, if in that brutal low-budget manner. There's so many voids for them to fill also, yet they need that budget. North America has that gaming budget, yet I've been constantly burned that I'm .....what's the word........something more than frustrated......I lost trust. Even seeing gamers being burned on the side-lines, and they're enjoying it as if they're masochists. Maybe they are a bunch of masochists.......

I guess I'm just glad Victory Belles is also inspiring from KanColle, something Niantic now needs to learn about and get their act together. Stop pissing off your fanbase and gamers by actually doing what needs to be done. TALK with your fanbase. Even if it's 15 poople, TALK! VB is talking through Lagate & through updates, so I see what Metis's is saying that they don't give a crap by making excuses (or might make some soon). I've seen it before also, yet can't word it as Metis can.

The game would have been awesome if it kept expanding outward in a Minecraft, Rising World, or Lego Worlds manner (even if I hate Lego Worlds for not being survival oriented).

Sounds like someone needs to play Daggerfall. It's not infinitely expanding, but it's large enough that any sane person will lose their mind long before they manage to travel from one end of the map to the other. Much like Minecraft, in fact, though admittedly the difference between Shedungent and what used to be Minecraft's Farlands is...rather large.

Yes, it's a wide category, and it's wide for a reason & why I'm constantly disliking & distrusting any American game which forces me to side with Japanese made games.

For it being a wide category I constantly forget that it exists. I don't care for FPS games, WoW wannabes that don't understand anything but money, RPGs that weren't bugtested (enough) or the latest fad of Uncharted rip-offs, so seemingly everything that western developers put out these days just pass me by.

North America has that gaming budget, yet I've been constantly burned that I'm .....what's the word........something more than frustrated......I lost trust. Even seeing gamers being burned on the side-lines, and they're enjoying it as if they're masochists. Maybe they are a bunch of masochists.......

"Bitter", I believe is the word you're looking for. And most gamers these days aren't enjoying it, as such, they simply don't know any better.

Daggerfall, eh? Well, makes me wonder if I can squeeze that in. If I can find a proper copy then I'll give it a go when I can after KanColle, Rising WOrld, among other games. Also, it reminds me of 'Mount & Blade' in ways which makes me quite curious.

Yeah, I shy away from FPS, WoW, wannabes, even World of Warships. It has to be something genuinely good to be worthwhile of my time, and that's being sapped by Japanese web games, and some European made games. Again, KanColle, Shooter Girl, Flower Knight Girl, Rising World, American Truck Sim, Euro Truck Sim 2, Silent Hunter 3 (rarely now), and Phantasy Star Online 2. I however can't play PSO2 because it won't detect my downloaded client that I wasted numerous days tryign to get into it, yet what it does is right is often satisfying. I'd even recommend Empyrion, Wurm Unlimited, and such because they're neat. Can't really recommend any game outside of the PS2, PS3, Vita, or Gameboy/3DS market. Everything is just shit to me. Flight SImulators have been fun (Century & X), as well as Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2. Nobody knows how to have fun anymore, nor has the intelligence/budget to fill in the voids. Everything has to be trash now, and it's insulting because it's 2016. Yup.

I guess "bitter" could be it. I've also seen the word 'Jaded" going around, among others. Failing to recall them because there's just too much to make note of.

---------

......................Well, I just want to note another thing to also keep this on topic. It's a "two bird with one rock" thing.

My friend in Vancouver doesn't have data, yet he's seeing how much fun people are still having regardless of Niantic's taboo related incidents. He told me that there's many people at parks that he could count 17 of them, all with sound on, that they were just having fun in his evening. Just playing. He was having fun playing it while maxing out his inventory with a Pokestop right next to a park he lives at with him able to lazily gather pokeballs & items from it. He simply use his girl's phone to see what's around. Just do whatever to get Poke items from that one single pokestop every 5 min. He maxed out his inventory, made note of 17 players in a park with sound on, and people having fun. Quite nice. There's fun to be had.

Niantic has a fun IP, yet they're too small, too careless, and too silent that they're ruining this genuine moment and software. They can still recover, yet they need to interact with their community then any taboo can be forgiven through formalities.

Alright, not creating a new topic for this one because this one does nicely. As annoyed as I am to be interested in Pokemon Sun & Moon, I guess I'm just going to bite the bullet by buying either of the two in a blind manner because I'm finally seeing attachment points to hook myself into the damn game. I see some nice fun features, some nice new Pokemon, as well as old ones modernized for regional variety. Seeing my trusty Vulpix & Ninetales turned to ice & Ice/fairy that they do seem interesting, if a bit smug for my taste. It does have its fun, yet I'm seeing gimmicky features still that irritates me. Just let the game loose into its own big world for crying out loud. Nintendo has the budget. [i guess this whining is driving people insane, but I see myself in the right that games need to keep pushing forward, not backwards or spinning tires in place.]

https://twitter.com/Pokemon_cojp/status/760103220370808832

https://twitter.com/Pokemon/status/760098054066143232

The 'Z Moves' must be a reference to Kamen Rider, Sentai Rangers/Power Rangers, among various other types. It's just odd. Vulpix & Ninetales turned to ice is believable. As is that ice-type sandshrew. Executor turned into a palm tree type thing is indeed odd, and a bit lazy, yet I can see where they went with it. Palm tree type thing, yeah. Silly, that people are having fun with it. The dancing birds being similar to those regional butterfly type Pokemon in X&Y game. Was neat. That part was actually neat.

Well.....let's see how much I regret jumping into Pokemon Sun & Moon after seeing the same formula over and over again with no real lessons learned. Sure, improvements were had, yet it needs to move into a new open-ended setting. I stopped playing Pokemon White 2 halfway because it was just.....repetition, and I played these Pokemon games heavily that Pokemon GO is fresh & fun, yet Niantic is screwing up.

Fun, fun. Both genuine & sarcastic fun at the same time.

Daggerfall, eh? Well, makes me wonder if I can squeeze that in. If I can find a proper copy then I'll give it a go when I can after KanColle, Rising WOrld, among other games. Also, it reminds me of 'Mount & Blade' in ways which makes me quite curious.

Daggerfall is free to download, you can find the relevant files on Bethesda's website or the UESP wiki. Mind you, the coming August 31st will actually be the game's 20th anniversary. So if you're expecting modern gaming conveniences right out of the box, well, you'll just be disappointed. Hell, if you expect to be able to create a character that can kill the first imp in Privateer's Hold without a guide next to you you'll likely be disappointed. Daggerfall is many things, but accessible is not one of them.

Can't really recommend any game outside of the PS2, PS3, Vita, or Gameboy/3DS market.

I wouldn't recommend anything past the PS2/Gamecube era. As for PC there's a few games that are actually free to play and are not terrible, for a perhaps loose definition thereof since I qualify Daggerfall as "not terrible" in this respect, but they are few and far between even with loose standards. And usually not too accessible either, being at least a decade old in most instances.

EDIT: This one would suggest not repeating the same mistake and just going with the randomizer if you're looking for old-school Pokémon stuff. Rest assured, properly set up it might not be an entirely new game, but it'll throw you for at least one loop.

Noted on the Daggerfall stuff. Sounds a tiny bit like what Dragon's Dogma tried. More on the Dark Souls side in which I haven't played. We'll see.

Yeah, the gaming scene has been struggling heavily that it's difficult to connect to any game, let alone have any fun with it. What's been said is in the above postings now that I'll leave that as is now.

Randomizer, or Pixelmon. I need to find a day to try and find a way to view hidden folders on Win 10 so I can then install the Pixelmon mod for some old fun again. Play some Pixelmon, train a Pidgey into Pidgeot, fly around, see some improved pokemon villagers, and such. I never did play it fully and properly because had to be on a friend's server & such. We'll see how it goes this time around if I can find a way to see Win 10 hidden folders and such.

Also, here's a jab at Niantic labs which I forgot to link. This is in response to bandaid patching the 3-step glitch by removing the three steps itself.

https://twitter.com/NianticLab/status/760099873731571712

You can now no longer see the Pokemon KM needed to hatch eggs. :rolleyes:

Edit: More fire here about refusing support e-mails, among other things:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemongo/comments/4vj0ir/niantics_refusal_to_accept_support_emails_is_a/

Edit #2:

Basically sums up the whole situation right now:

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/damn-pokemon-go-now-has-less-than-2-stars-in-the-app-store?trk_source=recommended

If you're just looking for some fun I'd recommend the randomizer. I've played Minecraft in single-player primarily, and rest assured, especially playing a hardcore-ish Gregtech-based modpack in single player with large biomes is the most depressing and demoralizing bit of gaming I've ever experienced. With the right set-up you can surpass even Majora's Mask in terms of a world that is bleak, depressing and utterly hopeless.

EDIT: Oh, right, one thing: In terms of randomizer settings, one thing I must recommend is limiting randomized wild mons to mons with similar strength, but not limiting trainer's mons in the same way. Hell, allow them to have legendaries based on the RNG's whim if you're confident. Not only is it a blast to have young Peter the bug-catcher suddenly sic a Mewtwo on you, but beating said Mewtwo is a challenge that you'd otherwise likely miss. Also, exp piñata. Very necessary if you're not playing Gen 1/2 with the gen 5 XP scaling mechanic/patch.

I play minecraft, but only singleplayer vanilla, and my world is ancient, (late alpha, early beta) so the map is... scarred somewhat from changes in map generation, not to mention downright bizzare weather due to conflicting biome and terrain data but I think it just makes it interesting.

I play minecraft, but only singleplayer vanilla, and my world is ancient, (late alpha, early beta) so the map is... scarred somewhat from changes in map generation, not to mention downright bizzare weather due to conflicting biome and terrain data but I think it just makes it interesting.

I still have my old words from around the time the game was considered 'complete', or something. You saying that makes me curious how it'll mesh with Pixelmon because me and old Minecraft buddy & an ex-blogger loved Pokemon so much that I wanted to add Pixelmon onto it. It's something I'm still messing aroudn with in thought, yet can't put into practice for how much technical issues there is. I guess I can't boast the same kind of world age, yet I can still boast it in late beta stage, or something heh. Need to find out how it holds up to the Minecraft version now. That, and with Pixelmon. Flying with a Pidgeot would be sweet.

Forgot where I was viewing 'Malevolence', and now I know. Just opening up tabs in a quick scan. I'll have to take a peak at it tomorrow when I have more time.

Also, I agree with this guy, yet his 5000 downvotes has me pissed off at the gamer's mindset. Pokemon GO is an outright mess that a Minecraft mod is more appealing right now. It's even genuinely interesting, even filling in a void Nintendo should have filled themselves.

& Pixelmon:

http://pixelmonmod.com/

Have to see how much Pixelmon progressed soon. But I'm now respecting 'Freespace's' map pride. Nice :)

Archived