Black Chicken Studios Forums

KS Update 22

von_Lipstig

She plays mahan like a fiddle. I can see why YuriMom likes her so much. She definitely must become an addition to my fleet. I didn't back enough money to get turkey, so hopefully she's an event drop.

Well that was a pretty amusing interview. A very crafty and sneaky ship, I wonder if somehow that'll translate to her in game performance. It'd be fun to have her sail straight through Morgana seas and never have an encounter she wasn't pursuing. Always just slipping by somehow. Imagine how fantastic that would be if you needed to make high speed supply runs? :P

It's really sad that there are so few Imperial German warships left in 1939, they were such excellent vessels. Very sturdy, especially the battlecruisers.

But luckily there is one more German battlecruiser that can join the ranks of the Belles and I really, really want to see her. SMS Derrflinger, the old Iron Dog. In 1939 she's the last of the German battlecruisers at Scapa flow that hadn't been scrapped, and she was raised that year. Which makes her the sole Imperial German deradnought capital ship above water in the game's timeframe.

*crosses fingers*

She plays mahan like a fiddle. I can see why YuriMom likes her so much. She definitely must become an addition to my fleet. I didn't back enough money to get turkey, so hopefully she's an event drop.

Legate can correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I remember, Belles that are tied to KS-exclusive nations are not, by design, unobtainable for people who do not have access to said nations - much like how you can theoretically recruit a German Belle while playing as America, you can recruit a Turkish Belle.

Now ease of recruiting is another matter, but it's possible.

Oh, she's definitely good!

I'd totally go to her if I needed a Belle for a blockade running operation! :P

But what does she mean by "My plans were nearly upset by the… shall we politely say, the relaxed attitude of my Italian friends."?

Are the Germans still sore about that? <_<

Oh, she's definitely good!

I'd totally go to her if I needed a Belle for a blockade running operation! :P

But what does she mean by "My plans were nearly upset by the… shall we politely say, the relaxed attitude of my Italian friends."?

"Still"? Well maybe, I'm not German so I can't say. But Yavuz is speaking from the perspective of someone present at the time I'm sure. Though I think I've seen some examples of Japan still being salty that the USA broke their codes during WW II in GUP and the Kancolle anime...

At any rate, We've another great addition to the cast shared with us this week, nicely done BCS! Looking forwards to next week's special production!

:wub: :wub: :wub: Now THAT was [redacted] well spent dollars! I am sooo in love! :wub: :wub: :wub:

Yavuz was a Kickstarter exclusive Belle at one of the highest levels. At my count there are 30 people in the world, other than devs I suppose, who will get to play her for the first year of the game.

Any guess who intends to be the first person in the game to play Yavuz?

:wub: :wub: :wub:

Italy permitted Goeben to coal during the British chase after hostilities started. Longer than international law allowed, actually. This was before the Italians joined the war with the Entente powers. Thus it is the BRITISH that would be sore, not the Germans.

Italy permitted Goeben to coal during the British chase after hostilities started. Longer than international law allowed, actually. This was before the Italians joined the war with the Entente powers. Thus it is the BRITISH that would be sore, not the Germans.

I thought it might be a jab over the fact that Italy, instead of joining the war, declared its neutrality. Its decision to join the Triple Entente came long after the Goeben arrived in Istanbul.

The establishment of the Mittelmeerdivision (a battlecruiser and a light cruiser) was the sign of a renewed interest toward the Mediterranean, and its significance was heightened by the 1914 accord between the three navies - German, Austro-Hungarian and Italian - over naval collaboration in the Middle Sea. Because everyone knew that only together they could challenge the French Navy (since in the years before WWI the Royal Navy largely concentrated most of its modern forces in the North Sea, leaving in the Mediterranean only a squadron of battlecruisers, and pretty much leaving that area to the French). Both the Austro-Hungarians and the Italians (who had a long coastline, were heavily dependent on imports and were overall most vulnerable) recognized this.

When Italy declared its neutrality, it largely meant that a contest between the two sides would become very unlikely, as the Austro-Hungarians alone would be unwilling to challenge the French (even if the Goeben had joined them).

>_<

The rated speed of Goeben was 27 knots (50 km/h; 31 mph), but her damaged boilers meant she could only manage 24 knots (44 km/h; 28 mph), and this was only achieved by working men and machinery to the limit; four stokers were killed by scalding steam. Fortunately for Souchon, both British battlecruisers were also suffering from problems with their boilers and were unable to keep Goeben′s pace. The light cruiser HMS Dublin maintained contact, while Indomitable and Indefatigable fell behind. In fog and fading light, Dublin lost contact off Cape San Vito on the north coast of Sicily at 19:37. Goeben and Breslau returned to Messina the following morning, by which time Britain and Germany were at war.

The Admiralty ordered Milne to respect Italian neutrality and stay outside a 6-nautical-mile (11 km) limit from the Italian coast—which precluded entrance into the passage of the Straits of Messina. Consequently, Milne posted guards on the exits from the Straits. Still expecting Souchon to head for the transports and the Atlantic, he placed two battlecruisers—Inflexible and Indefatigable—to cover the northern exit (which gave access to the western Mediterranean), while the southern exit of the Straits was covered by a single light cruiser, HMS Gloucester. Milne sent Indomitable west to coal at Bizerte, instead of south to Malta.[7]

For Souchon, Messina was no haven. The Italian authorities insisted that he depart within 24 hours and delayed supplying coal. Provisioning his ships required ripping up the decks of German merchant steamers in harbour and manually shovelling their coal into his bunkers. By the evening of 6 August, despite the help of 400 volunteers from the merchantmen, he had only taken on 1,500 short tons (1,400 t) which was insufficient to reach Constantinople. Further messages from Tirpitz made his predicament even more dire. He was informed that Austria would provide no naval aid in the Mediterranean and that the Ottoman Empire was still neutral and therefore he should no longer make for Constantinople. Faced with the alternative of seeking refuge at Pola, and probably remaining trapped for the rest of the war, Souchon chose to head for Constantinople anyway, his purpose being "to force the Ottoman Empire, even against their will, to spread the war to the Black Sea against their ancient enemy, Russia."[7]

Milne was instructed on 5 August to continue watching the Adriatic for signs of the Austrian fleet and to prevent the German ships joining them. He chose to keep his battlecruisers in the west, dispatching Dublin to join Troubridge′s cruiser squadron in the Adriatic, which he believed would be able to intercept Goeben and Breslau. Troubridge was instructed "not to get seriously engaged with superior forces," once again intended as a warning against engaging the Austrian fleet. When Goeben and Breslau emerged into the eastern Mediterranean on 6 August, they were met by Gloucester, which, being outgunned, began to shadow the German ships.[8]

Troubridge′s squadron consisted of the armoured cruisers HMS Defence, Black Prince, Warrior, Duke of Edinburgh and eight destroyers armed with torpedoes. The cruisers had 9.2 in (230 mm) guns versus the 11 in (280 mm) guns of Goeben and had armour a maximum of 6 in (15 cm) thick compared to the battlecruiser′s 11 in (28 cm) armour belt. This meant that Troubridge′s squadron was not only outranged and vulnerable to Goeben′s powerful guns, but it was unlikely that his cruiser′s guns could seriously damage the German ship at all, even at short range.[9] In addition, the British ships were several knots slower than Goeben, despite her damaged boilers,[10] meaning that she could dictate the range of the battle if she spotted the British squadron in advance. Consequently, Troubridge considered his only chance was to locate and engage Goeben in favourable light, at dawn, with Goeben east of his ships, and ideally launch a torpedo attack with his destroyers; however, at least five of the destroyers did not have enough coal to keep up with the cruisers steaming at full speed. By 04:00 on 7 August, Troubridge realised he would not be able to intercept the German ships before daylight and after some deliberation he signalled Milne with his intentions to break off the chase, mindful of Churchill′s ambiguous order to avoid engaging a "superior force." No reply was received until 10:00, by which time he had withdrawn to Zante to refuel.[11]

© Wiki

>_<

For Souchon, Messina was no haven. The Italian authorities insisted that he depart within 24 hours and delayed supplying coal. Provisioning his ships required ripping up the decks of German merchant steamers in harbour and manually shovelling their coal into his bunkers. By the evening of 6 August, despite the help of 400 volunteers from the merchantmen, he had only taken on 1,500 short tons (1,400 t) which was insufficient to reach Constantinople. Further messages from Tirpitz made his predicament even more dire. He was informed that Austria would provide no naval aid in the Mediterranean and that the Ottoman Empire was still neutral and therefore he should no longer make for Constantinople. Faced with the alternative of seeking refuge at Pola, and probably remaining trapped for the rest of the war, Souchon chose to head for Constantinople anyway, his purpose being "to force the Ottoman Empire, even against their will, to spread the war to the Black Sea against their ancient enemy, Russia."[7]

© Wiki

Actually the Italian action may have been a blessing in disguise, for Messina was likely to become a magnet for British and French warships.
-
Paul Halpern, "A naval history of World War I"

I'm just floored with how well the artists managed to blend Turkish and German in her image. Dayum that skirt... :wub: :wub: :wub:

Let's just say that for the the oldest announced Belle in the game (by commissioning and completion at least), she's lovely. I wish we all aged that well...

DYM, if you'll look in my Histories of Belles thread, you'll see that Lipstig is correct, and the italians delayed or straight up refused to give coal to Goeben at each of the Italian ports she visited. Yavuz meant what she said when she mentioned that "My plans were nearly upset by the… shall we politely say, the relaxed attitude of my Italian friends."

I'm aware. :P

I was mis-remembering due to another similar circumstance where the situation was the other way around.

I like the ships that mess with Mahan, it gives them a sense that they can be a bit...playful underneath a serious exterior. Yavuz seems like a bro. We could have both German beer and Turkish Delight while shooting the shit.

Up until now, I thought all interviews were done in a Navy office. Yes, I know Belles have a limited range away from their shipself but I assumed that was disregarded for the sake of the interviews. With this interview, Mahan mentions climbing up a lot of stairs on a ship, and Yavuz crawls out of a porthole at one point.

So do the interviews happen on the ships themselves? That means Mahan has to maneuver her shipself next to whatever ship, meet up with the captain on the ship to be interviewed, etc etc.

edit: "f/uck" is censored but not "shit"? Weird.

I think the interviews take place in a pocket dimension where the Belles can all exist away from their hulls and parade before interview with the captain. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, reading her interview alone made me fall in love with the way she does things. How she messed with Mahan (lovely karma) is my type of Belle. Somewhat like Koko Hekmatyar in Jormungand anime, yet more on the actual playful side. Or maybe Yukikaze from 'Dog Days', or even .....Suddenly drew a blank as I was naming off characters. Ah, brain farts ftw. [it was Yuudachi from KanColle]. Yeah, I love her teaseful style that I want to see her and more Belles like her because they prove to be the most well thought out characters in anything anime, games, and anything. I love how she plays around in that mature sense to also respectfully prove a point.

Here's to hoping I can see something from the RCN side, and any other major/minor nation with a similar minded Belle messing about. I'm going to try & acquire her, yet that may be tricky depending on how I might play.

Archived