Black Chicken Studios Forums

"Overly Enthusiastic"

ArcticuKitsu

Sorry, there's no general sub-forum so this place shall have to do for a bit. Just wanted to get some side thoughts out of the way while trying to make sense of some comments I"ve been seeing both here & on the 'Rising World' forum that has be stumped. Maybe you can help along, or maybe make it worse as I process these thoughts.

But yeah. Reading the "highly enthusiastic" comments is making me feel like gamers have calmed down over the years, or something. Mellowed out, or aren't as happy about gaming these days that I'm now seeing this comment feeling like a lone survivor from the 1990's gaming era. They [the people] used to be so happy that they'd be overly excited about games. 2000 being the time of gradual growth in fanart that you'd see it grow in intensity in 2003, or something like that. It would lead into game modding that anything considered "highly enthusiastic" would simply be turned into fan art, game modifications, and seeing people making happy threads about how to improve the games, among other things. To me, I simply see gaming taking a slump because it's more about making games about fads, not about genuine gaming fun. Nobody wants to have fun in North America that it's all up to the European & Japanese game developers to make fun games instead. Even odd ones, such as American Truck Sim & Euro Truck SIm 2.

Hearing the "highly enthusiastic" makes me feel I lost the crowd I walked with in various gaming communities which makes me feel that gaming is indeed dying. Not Anime, but gaming itself because I'm struggling a hell of a lot to find a proper fun game, let alone one with co-op, multiplayer, or something that doubles back into fun. That same fun which leads into game modding, fan-art, fan creations, among other things. Basically what I'm seeing the Japanese and anime fans doing, but yeah. I now feel like an alien. If you don't feel like making a mod or fan-art of any sort then that game is genuine shit. Games last a long time thanks to mods & fanart, yet when it doesn't have that, it's shit.

That, and a bonus that I wish games would keep moving forward by also inspiring & using other games as stepping stones in improvement. Sadly, that's not the case so you're always seeing me in a pissy mood frustrated about getting my gaming fixes. KanColle & Rising World keeps me sane right now (if barely) that anything else simply sets me off because people enjoy bickering & stirring up drama instead having fun in games. That, and other games are simply spinning their ties in place by not improving at all. Same garbage year after year. Once I see fun in games I enjoy that game for going back to what games enjoyable: "The fun" aspect. The fun in Pokemon, KanColle, Rising World, among others. Actually reaching out to make sure you're happy, not pissed off by having people yell at you, degrade you, or other crap. I enjoy it when a game gives you what it promises, as well as what you want, that updates are now like Christmas festivities. Rising World itself releasing an update with dungeons which feels like Christmas because it's giving you what it promised in fun, as well as showing you the high potential & quality by bringing the fun back on track, thus the "highly enthusiastic" behavior on mine & maybe other people's side. People are so happy that they can finally mod a game the way they want to, and that's only going to improve. I'm happy because I can see a future with NPC modding, among other things. We're all genuinely happy, and that's what a game is about. If you're happy then you're on the right track.

Same with KanColle by making it android. It's what we wanted, and it delivered by now being able to play on the go. It's the same with Pokemon GO, until it screwed up.

Games are meant to be fun. if at any point you find yourself stressed out, insulted, or berated in any way then it strayed off the path. This is up until a point where games are meant to be challenging. Challenging games are an exception, yet when a game insults you then that's not a game to be played. Victory Belles is simply proving to be a game we're all desiring because KanColle is either refusing, or sluggish, in adding what we desire in the North American fanbase. I'm seeking Canadians & variety that I'm hooked, and similar to those seeking to playa KanColle styled game, and such. People don't want to jump through hoops to play KanColle, thus Victory Belles hype.

"Highly enthusiastic" for a reason that games should be fun & rewarding, not punishing. There's tons of voids, and I'm not saying this lightly. Again, I've seen that genuine gaming moment in 'Rising World' dungeon update that we're being given what we desire & seeing a bright future ahead :)

[Maybe I'm misunderstanding, which seems to be happening, so any clarify is welcomed.]

If you don't feel like making a mod or fan-art of any sort then that game is genuine shit. Games last a long time thanks to mods & fanart, yet when it doesn't have that, it's shit.

Shadow of the Colossus, Super Mario 64, Star Wars Battlefront II, Pretty much every main Pokemon game until Platinum, The Last Guardian, Ico, Metro 2033...

There are plenty of excellent games that are both made in North America and were never modded.

(Pokemon, mario, and the games related to shadow aren't american, but they were still great and never modded)

I think the flood of games we have access to today is the reason why it feels like we no longer can enjoy them like we did in the past.

At last for me it looks like for each day I play games I get weeks in new interesting games and resulting from this the expectation for the next games (need to) raise.

There was a time where I would be happy to be able to play RPG maker games today I not even have the time to give them a short look despite knowing that there for sure some absolut great games made with it that are even real free to play.

Shadow of the Colossus, Super Mario 64, Star Wars Battlefront II, Pretty much every main Pokemon game until Platinum, The Last Guardian, Ico, Metro 2033...

There are plenty of excellent games that are both made in North America and were never modded.

(Pokemon, mario, and the games related to shadow aren't american, but they were still great and never modded)

Other than Star Wars Battlefront II, rest seems Japanese.

Shadow of the Colossus is neat, yet guilty of not trying. Sadly won't be trying, yet I know how it flows. Super Mario 64 is ancient, yet I did dabble in it when N64 was the most modern system, around. Star Wars Battlefront II was neat, yet it eventually faded out for how repetitive it was. If only it expanded further on the campaign side of things, Battlefield 1942 style. I also played Pokemon from Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver, & Crystal. Then add Pokemon Stadium 1 & 2, and even rented 'Hey, you! Pikachu'. Even a puzzle game.

As a counter-suggestion I'd pick:

1. Perfect Dark (N64): Because of how awesome it was. Futuristic, detailed, and the most advanced game for its time. It even had mission replay (Even holding up Goldeneye 64 nearly as high) that I enjoyed all the fun weapons. The fun eastereggs, the fun linear-yet-free-roamy missions, as well as the fun free-roamy main base. You could go into the weapon range, the co-op multiplayer (if couch) to play with bots & players, as well as just boats to have fun with. The bots also had TYPES to them (i.e revenge, pacifist, aggressive, among others). Nothing beats this game, not even Halo. People claiming Halo does are just blinded by a lemming fad that they just don't see the little & big things that make Perfect Dark awesome, even with nostalgic glasses. [Mentioned because of Mario 64. Also, Rare is said to be British.].
  2. Battlefield 1942 (PC): This IS still the best Battlefield game to date, as well as being from WW2, which allowed you the appropriate freedom to be an infantry, a tank/jeep driver, or even a pilot for a plane. Expansions added to them, yet nobody played them. It does have Canadians, yet can only play against AI. Secret Weapons was also sweet, yet never dug too far because people weren't playing much. Everything about this brought the most fun, even when it was released on Origin for free. It's still the best that I find Battlefield 2, Vietnam, and others frustratingly annoying. Even Battlefield 1, yet we'll have to see where that goes. The Star Wars mod for Battlefield 1942 was the best. Better than the garbage that EA Games makes, and even forced a fan-made game to change its style.
  3. Silent Hunter 3 (PC): Ubisoft Romania made this awesome WW2 German submarine game with no equal. They put lot of care & attention to it for the time that it has awesome national variety, even Canadians. Even personalizing the submarine to your tastes, as well as obtaining whatever sub & weaponry you want (time permitting). You chose where to go, how to tackle your mission, as well as deal with your threats in the manner you chose. This is the way to do free-roaming, and free-roaming submarines.
  4. Star Wars Galaxies (PC): Free Roaming Star Wars on a multiplayer scale. You could choose to be either Rebellion, Empire, or even Mercenary that it took things in a fun manner. Being able to go to any planet at any time, choose any profession, as well as fly anywhere (Jump to Light Speed expansion). The random quest generator is also sweet. It's now however sadly dead, yet still alive in SWGemu that most of its free-roaming charm is still alive. This is the type of Star Wars free-roaming I want. Travel to any planet, do as I want, pick any profession, and anything. Basically Star Wars + Minecraft + Skyrim + whatever. KOTOR & etc don't count because they're still linear. Once you're done, you're done. Blame SWG for my high standards. This game was best up until NGE Update was added. Once it started forcing the Prequels it killed itself. Everything up until late Jump to Light Speed made this game awesome. Sadly, Americans fumbled this in a frustrating manner. <_<
  5. American Truck Sim & Euro Truck Sim 2 (PC): Czech made truckign games which allows you to travel both Europe & America in their respective version. You can buy a truck, customize it, and travel wherever you desire. Choose any job, any profit, and route, and you'll enjoy your exploration type trip. The progression is what makes me choose this over 'Flight Simulator X' & such because it still has RPG elements, yet sadly misses any co-op related multiplayer. It does have multiplayer, yet people can be real assholes on there.
  6. Xenoblade Chronicles X (Wii U): This game can be compared to how Perfect Dark was for N64 as this game is for the Wii U by pushing the console to the limit. It added so much that it simply dwarves any games around it by a hell of a lot (on the same system, and at times also on PC). You can travel anywhere, fight whatever, discover things, and such. Sure, it's a quarter linear, yet it's a fun experience from beginning to however far you made it. Every moment is worth it, as is the music. It's all fun, as with the freedom of choice.
  7. Kancolle (web/Android): A Japanese WW2 game about ships as reincarnated ship girls with respective ship weapons leveling them as if they were Pokemon. The gameplay is endless, as is the timeframe. You just keep playing & playing while also partaking in events. The Android version helps this by allowing you to tend to your tasks whenever not at the PC. [Japanese]
  8. Rising World (PC): A Minecraft killer in numerous manners that it does what Minecraft does, yet amplified on a massive scale that each update is outshining everything that Minecraft held special. You won't see it kill Minecraft now, yet as time goes by you shall. Month-by-month new features slaughters niche features within Minecraft, as well as modernizing them in a 3D manner. You however shall need to survive in the biomes through climate, as well as make shelter, tech up, among other things. This game shall also have vehicles, as well as high customization for player models of both genders. [German]
  9. ????????????????????????????????????????????? I can't think of non-modded games that were fun. Only Perfect Dark, SWG, Xenoblade, and ........I'm drawing a blank.

I'm now looking at my list with me being unable to list anything which really stands out. It's all...........Old nostalgic respect, some Japanese & European games, as well as few some slowly maturing games. I can't mention any god damn modern games because it's "too expensive too make", "too risky", "too hard to make woman", among other excuses given. Nobody wants to make games we enjoy that everything has become so stupidly stale. I'm however strongly eyeing this game [Victory Belles], as well as UBOOT hoping it'll in some way quench my curiousity, keep me occupied, as well as give us what it promised. I guess not even 'Star Wars: Empire at War' made it on my list, even if it was free-roamy in the campaing, and I had fun with skirmishes. It's been ages, and I couldn't really get funds to repurchase it again. Star Wars Battlegrounds was neat, providing lots of fun.

I'm glad that I had my fun in Pokemon. Crystal being the best because it had everything, including Johto & Kanto that anything today is just shit, and can't compare to how awesome it was to go from the two regions. Frustrated that you couldn't go back to revisit ALL the regions, and etc.. There's no motivation to keep using the last game as a solid stepping stone to push the game higher. Sure, Pokemon White, White 2, & X&Y are fun, yet once you're done the game you can't keep playing. I want the journey to continue, to have fun, and to never end. Basically the way it's going in KanColle, and in ways in Minecraft. The best game was Crystal, and I do love the new features in the new versions. Sadly, I have to say that I cherry pick them that I want all those new features in a single damn copy, not spread out. I'm looking at Minecraft's Pixelmon mod again in frustration.

---------------

Also, there's mention of lackign in time. I have that, yet I enjoy KanColle the most that when you care you always find time to squeeze time into something you enjoy. As of this moment I'm playing KanColle, even on Android when at work. I also try to sneak in a PC game by sneaking in 'Rising World', and I do enjoy my sessions. It sadly needs to keep maturing, yet it's getting there. It's stiill a youthful game. Same with other games. I have time for them, then I simply lose my patience or get sick. ATS & ETS2 then become my alternative to PC gaming that I enjoy a good road trip with job progress and exploration. Still have yet to visit all the countries, cities, & states. Something happens. Even struggling with time, I still manage to find time to play games. Sadly, I can't put anything in a proper game outside of KanColle. I'm always scanning my steam library groaning how nothing really catches my attention. Same on my friend's side. Everything has to be free-roaming now for me to consider it interesting, not be linear, and actually provide genuinely fun gameplay. It needs to constantly update also. I'm just spoiled by the games I mentioned.......It needs to have co-op & modding support also. If not that, then player customization & personalization option.

Yeah.........I just can't wait to get attached to Victory Belles for when I can also command my Canadians. Same with being able to play Rising World in proper sessions when new features come out. Also, I have this very negative feeling hiding away as if something pissed me off again in the gaming world. Just a hanging fog of negativity when thinking of how much stress is behind it all so I'm now worried what this feeling could be in full.

-crackles knuckles-

Do you really want me to go though and bust out a collection of awesome titles that don't require mods or fan art? Because I will. Especially since you're going all the way back to N64 with Perfect Dark, which by the way is European. Rare is a British company.

Star wars Galaxies shut down its servers, and SH3, ATS, and ETS 2 all have mods. I will say that KOTOR, Jedi Academy, and related games were all good, though I'm pretty sure there were/are mods for the Jedi Academy group. Atlantic Fleet is a good recent one that includes Canadians, is realistic to a point as a naval combat game (though it's turn-based), and has no mods. Killerfish games, who made it, have offices in Australia and Sweden.

Finally, Metro 2033 is most certainly not a Japanese game, and it was both well written and excellent fun. The gameplay was innovative and challenging as a first person shooter, and while it was somewhat linear, you had freedom within the levels to explore parts of the Moscow metro. Most importantly, I need no mods on it to have fun.

The point here I suppose that you're also making yourself with Silent Hunter and the Truck sims is that even if a game has mods these days, you don't need mods to have fun playing a game like you said.

Of the 3 games I regular play again only one full support mods and that's CIV IV BTS.

Academagia also support mods but have a kind of broken mod-tool what hopeful will be fixed with the release of year 2.

The last of the 3 games I regular play again is The Sims 3 and there is no mod necessary (except maybe a fanpatch) because its a big sandbox.

-crackles knuckles-

Do you really want me to go though and bust out a collection of awesome titles that don't require mods or fan art? Because I will. Especially since you're going all the way back to N64 with Perfect Dark, which by the way is European. Rare is a British company.

Seeing as how you're eager then be my guest. I guess I keep screwing up my wording no matter how much I try to be clear, so just go ahead. My listing above was meant more of how games from North America being fun from the past & stuck in the past. It's just lost in translation from mind to keyboard to the forum. *sighs*. But yes, go ahead. Enlighten me in that not so sarcastic manner :)

Also, thanks for confirming my slight doubts about Rare being British & European.

-------

@Fif:

KOTOR was fun, as with Jedi Academy, yet they're now ancient games. They're now "lost" in time that I haven't really seen them much now. I'll give you that, and maybe even Metro 2033 which is on the side I haven't tried, dug into, nor researched. I'll probably have to check that out.

Games with mods tend to live longest because they have more content to play around with. To play Silent Hunter 3 I always have the Anti-fatigue mini-mod added so I can stay at sea longer because it's just silly (gameplay wise) how you have to return to port after traveling only for a day. Not removing fatigue, just slowing it down to a more enjoyable state so you can shoot all your fish at ships. You want to stay out at sea for as long as you have torpedoes. It gives you a nice solid 3-4 hours of a session. I haven't played with the other mods, yet they add a hell of a lot of variety which Ubisoft couldn't by giving you more targets to hunt, more real world content, and more things to do. Same with more submarines. Again, my favourite word: "Variety" :P

Similar with ETS2 & ATS by adding in maps, more trucks, and even multiplayer. I've only dug into multiplayer because I'm still overwhelmed with the scenery in ETS2 & ATS. I haven't added any trucks or maps, yet they add things people desire & crave. It gives longevity to the game. Same with the desire of having weather, weather texture for seasons, among others. All those enhancements for whom desires it. Even trucks suffering license issues, such as the Volvo VNL for American Truck Sim. People can have it.

I had some fun with Dragon's Dogma, yet that can't be modded for some silly reason. Maybe textures & such, yet nothing which shall keep it alive to add more NPC types, map types, and etc. You can't expand on it so it's just a repetitive grind fest. I heard Dragon Age is fun, and I'll give it the respect, just that it has the same issue as Dragon's Dogma that modding it is nearly impossible. It's so strict that you're FORCED (or so I heard) to follow linear gameplay, and such. You can't add custom NPCs & such that it has a limited play style. Sure, it's fun, but how do you keep this fun alive for long term when you can't further customize, mod it, and such? My desire was to add more NPC stuff bot both Dragon's Dogma & Dragon Age, yet it doesn't really allow you to do such. Pawns is the answer for Dragon's Dogma, yet that's where I replace NPC desires for map desires & hostile NPCs. For Dragon Age I was hoping to have my original characters appear in there, yet that's not happening. A shame.

--------

EDIT:

I have Atlantic Fleet, yet it was too complex for me to dig through the menus to find Skirmish & such. Hearing Canadians are in it has me shocked because I haven't seen them. I only bought it because it was one-upping Victory at Sea graphic wise, and was turn based. I'm now curious.

It honestly feels like you have such a narrow view of what is a good game that will stand the test of time that no matter what we put down you'll feel disappointed or point out parts that don't work or state how it makes you sad. There really isn't any point in me honestly trying to show you that there are tons of games out there from all four corners of the world that don't need mods or have vast amounts of fanart to make them good games.

I think what you honestly, truly, need to do here is expand your tastes. Sample some games you might not have tried because of lack of mods or fanart. I'll give you one good title that has zero mods and very little fanart yet is damn near one of my fav games.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/266510/

This game is fantastic for it's direct and indirect storytelling, unique game play combinations and interesting twists on an old idea. If you have not tried it, I suggest doing so as the second game is already in development.

Edit: To sum what I'm getting from you is this: "If a game doesn't have mods or tons of fan art it's garbage. Also it needs to be made in NA and MUST feature Canada and Canadians." That's why it feels like you are limiting yourself so much.

I was looking forward to that list, especially for science :( .

t honestly feels like you have such a narrow view of what is a good game

I think what you honestly, truly, need to do here is expand your tastes.

You say when I've tried many games, enjoyed many, yet seeing games stuck spinning their wheels in place. I am looking for many more, yet only so many tend to fun, rewarding, and genuinely entertaining. It's also hard to find those with co-op so you can play with a friend, or something in a specific niche also, even though I have some of them. I am looking, and I feel I have a wide enough view-point. Granted that I do need help finding those good games that you need recommendations, just as Metis & one other person tried.

This comment was like someone slapping your back so hard you couldn't breath for a moment when reminded of playing games on Nintendo, Sega Genesis, PS2, N64, & etc and upward that modern games just suffers greatly. It's just the same, or similar rehash that finding anything good is troublesome. Maybe it is true, and I don't realize it, yet when you see games stalling in features is when one becomes jaded & similar. Something fresh & new has to replace all the rehashing. It's why I'm glad ETS2 & ATS exist, as with Empyrion, and such.

That 'Hand of Fate' also reminds me of another card game that TotalBiscuit played dealing with similar. Problem is, there's too many card games, yet they are indeed genuinely fun. Again, hard to find, but yeah. This is where recommendations comes in to find these games.

Edit: To sum what I'm getting from you is this: "If a game doesn't have mods or tons of fan art it's garbage. Also it needs to be made in NA and MUST feature Canada and Canadians." That's why it feels like you are limiting yourself so much.

Well, it's true when the game fails to stay afloat because nobody keeps poking at it in the long term. If someone looks back & says it's a good game, then it's a good game. Nostalgia has to also be there that you'd even want to go back for it to also be a fun game when modding wasn't a thing. The NA part feels like heavy sarcasm & a jab that I need to correct it by saying I have yet to see a modern (as in 2010 to 2016) game being fun. Maybe somewhere in the Indie side, something you had to show me, yet nothing clear enough for it to stand out. It's so hard to find that me and my friends/buddies struggling to find one game to enjoy also, both in single & multi. Finding a co-op game is treated as taboo also that it gets you moderated on steam forums. There's always something wrong, something buggy, glitchy, or silly that it just flops.

As for the Canadian part is only for WW2 games. If it has Canadians, then bonus points because it's always the same formula in WW2 used over and over of USA vs Germany or USA vs Japan that there's more that happened during the war. Glad IL-2, Silent Hunter 3, War Thunder, World of Warships, and etc exist, yet when the main focus is USA is a major buzzkill because it then goes back to focusing on USA. It be nice to poke at Russia, England, Dutch, Germans (at times; SH3), or some nation in Africa. Italy, Canada, Australia, or even the alternative to Japan, yet that's now also done in Japan's market. Not trying to be anti-American, but then we wouldn't have known about Axum, Aquila, HNLMS Tromp, or any of the Canadian vessels that others & myself made note of. There's many POV's you can take. Same with making a game purely on one vessel of HNLMS Tromp, or something along those lines.

Again, it's why I'm enjoying Victory Belles & KanColle because different point of views. If I can have Canadians in a war game then I know people care about the game because they took that special care & attention to go the extra mile for a forgotten nation, among others. Kancolle is still an exception because its own style of care in Japanese POV. And I did limit myself to Canadians back when Battlefield 1942 was the biggest thing on the market that I kept getting myself banned on EA Games forum. So pissed off that everything had to be American oriented that there was no variety. Even so, I still played USA, British, & whatever it gave me. I just want to command Canadians in at least one war game in proper, and that's all. It shouldn't be a big fuss <_< . I'm genuinely happy & respectful that I even see HMCS Saguenay, even if I'm being stupidly loud about it.

-------------

Edit: And it appears I'm posting too much & people posting too little so I now need a ban/timing myself out so others can take this forum back. I don't want to "own" the three sub-forums. It makes me feel like crap, and I guess that might be karma.

You need to stop trying to sound smart AK. You're only making an A** of yourself. Canada wasn't even independent before the 80's meaning ALL of it's accomplishments are the U.K.'s accomplishments. And obviously the U.S. WILL focus on the U.S. and not on another country, that's how patriotism works. And even by your own words Canadian games made in Canada are trash. Just stop AK, just stop.

I have Atlantic Fleet, yet it was too complex for me to dig through the menus to find Skirmish & such. Hearing Canadians are in it has me shocked because I haven't seen them. I only bought it because it was one-upping Victory at Sea graphic wise, and was turn based. I'm now curious.

They are unsurprisingly a part of the Royal Navy, as were all Canadian ships at the time. Play Battle of the Atlantic mode and despair as you are forced to use all 30 fleet slots up with Flower-class corvettes instead of Capital ships to barely have a chance of winning against the inevitable and uncontrollably overpowered U-boat spam. Then laugh as the Germans finally send out a few capital ships and Prinz Eugen rips your corvettes to shreds, unable to be caught or sunk by whatever pitiful lone light cruiser you have left hunting her down because every battlewagon you had has long since been sunk by U-boat or air attack with no warning or chance to dodge the first turn torpedo salvos, and you don't get escort carriers of any competent level until 1942.

But I have fun with it.

In my opinion the more a game is a sandbox and the less it focus on telling a story the better is the replayability of it even without mods (like the old Elite games, most 4X games or traditional games like chess).

But games like Neverwinter Nights or the Elderscroll Series (ok except for Daggerfall) you want to have mods that tell you different stories or open different paths for the 2nd play. (if you want to do one and have the time for it ^^)

You need to stop trying to sound smart AK. You're only making an A** of yourself. Canada wasn't even independent before the 80's meaning ALL of it's accomplishments are the U.K.'s accomplishments. And obviously the U.S. WILL focus on the U.S. and not on another country, that's how patriotism works. And even by your own words Canadian games made in Canada are trash. Just stop AK, just stop.

:blink:

I see this is the worst comment to respond to than the previous one I had issues responding to with no words coming to mind. And yeah, USA shall boast their US pride, and I get how patriotism works. Been struggling to connect with my Canadian side, and I'm glad I finally can thanks to 'Atlantic Fleet, even if I'm getting slaughtered by inexperience. Canadian games are trash, except for Rimworld (Montreal). That one I have yet to try. I don't think I mentioned Canadian games, yet it's hard to keep records of anything that things tend to fly away; Paper flying away in the wind full of information.

And another "Subaru" (Re:Zero) moment when everything has to be spiky in resistance. And there's just so much resistance it's bothersome, thus the emote above. I'll just leave this as is.

Many thanks. Even so, it's interesting to note that there's so many games released, yet I only have a fraction of those. Even on Steam, PC, & such. Curious about that, especially when it's time to show them on a podium.

They are unsurprisingly a part of the Royal Navy, as were all Canadian ships at the time. Play Battle of the Atlantic mode and despair as you are forced to use all 30 fleet slots up with Flower-class corvettes instead of Capital ships to barely have a chance of winning against the inevitable and uncontrollably overpowered U-boat spam. Then laugh as the Germans finally send out a few capital ships and Prinz Eugen rips your corvettes to shreds, unable to be caught or sunk by whatever pitiful lone light cruiser you have left hunting her down because every battlewagon you had has long since been sunk by U-boat or air attack with no warning or chance to dodge the first turn torpedo salvos, and you don't get escort carriers of any competent level until 1942.

But I have fun with it.

Yeah, Atlantic Fleet game giving me that feeling of that visual upgrad, yet turned based 'Victory at Sea' vibe. I love how you have to be cautious with every movement because even one carelessness costs you the battle. Now that you mentioned Canadians in that game (from posts back) I somehow saw 'custom battle' properly this time. I guess I was overwhelmed by the "clunkiness", or how complex it seemed at a first glance that I needed to go back to find it. Now that I see it has a custom battle mode I love how I can set up battles, scenarios, and such. Even finding 12 RCN related vessels, one of whom is the lovely Uganda. A shame it doesn't have Ontario, or the 'Trio Prince', yet that would be understandable.

I'm so glad that curiousity opened up three more doors of fun that I was able to try out the skirmish, the campaign, and being torn apart by the Germans as the British. I barely held my own, yet I'd say it was more of a 'stale-mate', but a loss. If that makes sense. I bought a British BB as a flagship, then went in with all Canadian vessels I could (minus Uganda) that it was interesting fighting the submarines, the DDs, and having Scarnhorst barrel towards you in a DD only fleet (BB's went back to repair) that I was aiming to fight submarines.

Holy hell, was that brutally painful, yet awesome. Scarnhorst being a sneaky little bastard coming at me only when I didn't have BB's in my fleet while learning how to airstrike, smoke screen, and having to sacrifice one of my Canadian Destroyers to have the other three flee. Improvising as I go, learning how to attack submarines. Having to unlearn what I learned in Victory at Sea to learn more nitty-gritty tactics in battle.

Well, I'm finally glad I can connect with Canadians in a WW2 game. Such fuss which shouldn't have been there if it was added there from the beginning. :rolleyes: Finally having a game to release that "pent up energy" of Canadian RPG curiosity that I can have fun in Atlantic Fleet until March 2017. If annoyed, I'll be calming down that "pride". Possibly. This makes me wonder & desire Abyssal ambushes (which I'm struggling to recall is planned or not) within VB after the ambushes I had in this game. Maybe not in the way I'm thinking of just sitting in an area, then it pops up like in 'Atlantic Fleet' or "Victory at Sea' style.

---------

Regardless of being torn apart & such, I still feel games still spinning their tires in the North American realm. Granted, even in the European & Japanese markets, yet not as much. That you can't deny, no matter what kind of bias I wrote & such that I'm actually finding Schwarzbart's POV interesting. Even Metis.

Another point is that I'm now looking at 'Atlantic Fleet' desiring some other nationalities to them, yet it's not like Silent Hunter 3 so it's just a game on its own. A fansite died so I guess I won't find mods for it to add Polish, Dutch, American, and others. This game might have a short shelf-life when compared to Silent Hunter 3. Makes me wonder though.

[Heads off thinking about the "stop acting smart" comment in how to view that comment. :blink: ]

Regardless of being torn apart & such, I still feel games still spinning their tires in the North American realm. Granted, even in the European & Japanese markets, yet not as much. That you can't deny, no matter what kind of bias I wrote & such that I'm actually finding Schwarzbart's POV interesting. Even Metis.

Maybe you ought to play Starforce 3. 'Got a host of problems of course, but there's two NPCs that quite literally complain about the state that "modern" gaming is in (game released in '08 and set in the 23rd century, but...) - one complaining about the Pokémon method of money making and excessive sequels, the other complaining about how developers focus excessively on graphics and sound over what actually makes a game fun. Especially the former the series is excessively guilty of, and the latter I can only assume is the writers revolting or something. Really, the games themselves seem like a series of minor revolts between the writers, developers and executives that each have their own ideas about how every game will end up "better" in the only way they care about (story/gameplay/money making), reaching an unsteady compromise and leaving the game confused as to what it wants to be. It's really jarring at times.

Maybe you ought to play Starforce 3. 'Got a host of problems of course, but there's two NPCs that quite literally complain about the state that "modern" gaming is in (game released in '08 and set in the 23rd century, but...) - one complaining about the Pokémon method of money making and excessive sequels, the other complaining about how developers focus excessively on graphics and sound over what actually makes a game fun. Especially the former the series is excessively guilty of, and the latter I can only assume is the writers revolting or something. Really, the games themselves seem like a series of minor revolts between the writers, developers and executives that each have their own ideas about how every game will end up "better" in the only way they care about (story/gameplay/money making), reaching an unsteady compromise and leaving the game confused as to what it wants to be. It's really jarring at times.

That sounds hilarious and my point of view. The moment you then mention this yourself you come off as a senile old fart with people claiming you're wrong, and etc, etc. If Starforce 3 is self aware then that's awesome, just like how there's anime aware of how Anime industry is suffering, and etc. Good to have those self-aware moments in various zones. Maybe I should, but we'll see, You're mentioning some very niche games, and they're amusing.

I also have to thank Fifrein for once again nudging me back into Atlantic Fleet because it's genuinely a fun game, yet sadly one that will fade out with no mod support & such. It did certain things right, yet it feels like it's hiding in its own shell that it'll become a "shitty" game. Thanks for making me become aware of the 'custom battle' menu option & such. It's insanely overwhelming when you first pick up the game. It also bugs me I can't find a modding community for the likes of 'Atlantic Fleet' because it's a great game. Adding more units is necessary, and it has two American battleships in there. Atlantic Fleet is odd with how it focuses more on British & Canadians versus the Germans that Americans have become the minority here. That's just trippy. That's not normal. :P . Was hoping to find a modding community to add in Dutch, Italians, among others. Makes me wonder if you can even mod that game because that's what gives games longer life.

Not all game is suitable for mods or fanart. And having fanart isn't much of an indication of quality.

Yeah, true. That's when they then get their 15 minutes of fame, then fade out into the wind. Mods allow games to keep being poked at because of the content they provide by the player. New fresh content. Fanart is more of a loose measuring gauge on the Anime side, yet it could be loosely applied ot games as well. Overwatch for example, as well as World of Warcraft, among others. I've seen lots applied to Mabinogi, & more toxic web games, and such. Trying to remember........Guild Wars, Skyrim, and anything where you can create your own character.

When you allow players to create their own content & to allow them to personalize and customize something then they'll try to roleplay that further into fanart type stuff. It's one of those 'Right-wrong' moments at the same time. Threading the needle, or something.

-------------

Also seeing another case of how to treat games right with 'No Man's Sky':

Taking that extra time to delay a game to add in more content via patches while giving us more features to build bases, befriend creatures as pets, and such. We haven't played it, yet there's so much content being added that people should be happy. I'm eager to play it in curiousity to see what lessons it has learned.

Damn, that hype. This is amusing with how this game seems to feel like a space version of American Truck Simulator & Euro Truck Simulator 2.

That sounds hilarious and my point of view. The moment you then mention this yourself you come off as a senile old fart with people claiming you're wrong, and etc, etc. If Starforce 3 is self aware then that's awesome, just like how there's anime aware of how Anime industry is suffering, and etc. Good to have those self-aware moments in various zones. Maybe I should, but we'll see, You're mentioning some very niche games, and they're amusing.

I definitely laughed when I first saw it myself, though I don't think the series is self-aware so much as schizophrenic. Mind you if the writers and designers started that little revolt back in the second game that'd explain a whole lot, because damn that game was just...all over the place.

And to continue the trend of me mentioning niche games (for which I offer no promise of accessibility or quality), if you're looking for an old-school CRPG but Daggerfall is too vast/empty/confusing/what have you, try Anvil of Dawn instead. It's unfortunately not free as Daggerfall is, but at least it's on GoG. Beyond everything you'd expect from an old-school CRPG (good and bad) it's...well, I said that single-player Minecraft has the most depressing and demoralizing game worlds I've ever walked around in, and I stand by that statement...but rest assured it's not for a lack of competition. I probably just don't play enough games based on/inspired by H.P. Lovecraft, but if anyone can point me to a worse wake of destruction left behind a Warlord than the Warlord in Anvil of Dawn, I'd be surprised to hear it.

Metis, don't worry, I read your post. Just wasn't sure how to respond back, but I did check things out. I guess they're all interesting Elder Scrolls type games that it's interesting to note such.

Also, came here to make note of 'No Man's Sky' & 'lemming/Tribal' mentality. Right now we're seeing how people hyped the game to no end, yet their own hype killed their own viewpoints that they can't view the game for what it is. It gave us what we promised, it is as "chill" as promised, and etc. Sure, it might not have the "tiny" multiplayer [Note: Tiny, disjointed, co-op type, or 'ghost') it teased, nor does it look "bloomed" as the trailers, yet it is 98% of what was promised. It's mostly a singleplayer game, yet it would benefit from some simple co-op type element of 2-4 players, at most. That in itself is impressive when you compare it to the garbage that's Call of Duty, among numerous other games out there. I've only seen 'American Truck Sim', 'Euro Truck Sim 2', 'Rising World', & I guess 'Minecraft' in certain ways. Mostly all, except Minecraft, with the rest failing to give us what's promised. Indie games are doing fairly well, such as one that Nel mentioned, as with 'Rimworld'.

Something that I found ironic & hilarious was someone's posting that they have "high standards in gaming" that it's just so misplaced that it's like oil & water also. I can only defend No Man's Sky because it is what was promised, and it gave us exactly what it wanted. People wanted more, yet they're blaming the game for it because they thought it meant more, something similar to Canadians in naval games, or something, yet not really.

I do genuinely wonder how "genuine" people's thoughts are when they say this game sucks, or if they're just parroting other people's thoughts without forming their own. I guess it might be repetitive & hollow, yet it still holds fun gameplay elements. Same with seeing it streamed. I guess the weight of this post shall be dropped when you note I have yet to play game, yet seeing it streamed look fairly impressive even on its own, even with its flaws.

What NMS really needs is that 'Day 1' patch it showed. It needs that badly to see if people can properly immerse themselves in the game, or if they're just far too tainted with their over-hyped hype that they can't see straight, somewhat like being drunk, or similar.

I wouldn't say that either Anvil of Dawn or Starforce are at all ES-like :huh:. Eh, no matter. They're games I enjoy playing (if for all the wrong reasons), if someone else wants to subject themselves to the torture explore either the supposed glory days or a twisted vision of the present I call it a win :).

Also, for the next niche game I'm going to repeat myself (not that most people here read the Academagia forums as far as I know, though :P) and plug The Ur-Quan Masters. Because there is no quality to a game more important than being free. So if No Man's Sky doesn't work out here's a space exploration game that gives you all of those high-tech "voxel" thingies and other state-of-the-art everythings you're looking for has no mouse support.

Well, when I did a quick peek into games you mentioned it tied itself to the Elder Scrolls title, yet I must have generalized too much or something. Guess it's something I can give a whirl later [the games you mentioned] yet have E-3 & E-4 of KanColle to burst through.

That space game you mentioned is interesting. Always retro fun. Thanks again :0

Yeah, No Man's Sky isn't really working out for me because I can't even boot up the game. It boots up then insta-closes that I have to wait for an upcoming patch to fix it. Not even the experimental line is helping me that I'll just wait it out a bit longer, as slightly frustrating as that is. It's still brand new so I'm cutting it some slack, yet if it does this into September then that's shitty. THEN I'll jump on people's silly bandwagons, yet not really. This is where information is key, and I knew what I was getting myself into. I'm being patient with NMS because they're indie devs, and humans at that still.

Starbound seems to be the neat alternative for now that I've seen it also hitting popular releases, even if people enjoy harping & ripping on things. Just came back from SCS Software's blog after seeing entitled idiots trying to chew me apart for trying to justify them bulling the game developers, something I'm going to admit I'm guilty of on here over Canadians, yet proud I have Saguenay. They're going all out insulting SCS Software trying to justify their harsh tone that I feel mentally & almost physically weakened by them. That level of harassment. "I bought the game so you have to do everything I want!", and worse. That tone for two trucking games [ATS & ETS2]. ANd yes, I did say such for RCN in VB, but that's because I'm still itching for Canadians in a game, but I can wait till March 2017 & beyond. Context been twisted & etc on that end that I hate how twisted it became when I'm simply happy for Saguenay.

I'm happy for No Man's Sky, yet it's a shame it has to suffer from Indie game problems on an AAA game scale. The hype & people's tribal mentality ruining the whole gaming experience that people's viewpoints are blinded, yet neat how it's bringing up Starbound hype. Damn. Too many gaming problems.

They require a time investment to get good with and to learn the various ins and outs of (Daggerfall especially), but afterwards they're perfectly playable. And to continue my niche game mentions, you know what's better than a game where you troll around in 40+ ton mechas? A free game where you troll around in 40+ ton mechas (linked to that forum because it also has the latest patch in another topic, BTW). Of course it's not perfect, but you get what you pay for (and than some), so I call it a win.

Archived