Black Chicken Studios Forums

Update 28 - Dunkerque

Nel Celestine

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And you have chosen the red Skees, Mahan. A spirited color! Those are the Skees for speed

They say the red ones are three times faster.

Gundam jokes aside, Dunkerque seems pretty fun, I like her.

I like what I see, but a couple things:

• I have to agree with the youtube commenter saying it's too fast, took me a couple re-watches to fully understand what was going on.
  • I find that the splash to denote misses looks a little too much like a hand.

Dano;

Thanks for the feedback- that's actually a very simple animation. My *guess* is that the final will look more like an exploding column of water. Let us know, though, as we go along if it still looks awkward.

The earlier versions were pretty slow, so this likely represents the other extreme. I imagine the real speed will be somewhere in the middle. We'll see. :)

Edit: Gundam. :)

As yes, Red for fast. We're really in trouble if Mahan starts wearing a mask after this though...

Fun seeing Dunkerque here so soon after Jingles reviewed her World of Warships incarnation. Here though she reminds me of the Kongou sisters introduction in the Kancolle anime: "Run up to them real fast and blow them up!"

Another thing to note was a new Belle hidden in that trailer as well. Hint hint.

Also, I love the fact that our fleet sizes are now seven ships. That gives a bit more flexibility and also a chance to make an actual wolfpack!

Normally I would roll my eyes at the thought of Belles water skiing, given the distance-from-hull limitations of '39.

Except, that recently I just happened to catch the Mythbusters reunion episode, and their recollections of the time they had Adam water ski behind a cruise ship.

And then I found this:

A rite for Crossing the Line? Who can say.

Nice to see Mahan surprise everyone--including herself--and actually like this week's crazyness. Which is good for her: faint hearts never won the fair captain, Mahan.

Dang it...she definitely looks like "best ship" material. Unfortunately, I heard that her WoWS coutnerpart isn't that up to snuff. I've been using her punchy Kriegsmarine rival :D.

EDIT: Actually...question: Are you guys ever going to do another Victory Belles Present...like the only you guys did with Boise? I'm aware it's a lot of work, but it's a good way to keep the hype alive in the quieter moments in the game development :).

NIce to hear/see Mahan finally surprisingly enjoying something to the fullest. Mahan, like myself, need to venture out of our comfort zone to enjoy the actual fun stuff in life, and glad these Belles are forcing Mahan to see the light. It's awesome. Again, hoping these shall become mini-games in Victory Belles, if in a more 'chill' manner tied with Friendship & romance stuff.

Also, I obviously have to note that Dunkerque is now the second French vessel to have visited Canada. Her, & Surcourf. That's awesome. Dunkersque seems like Graf Zeppelin & Aquila seeing more proper combat in KanColle & VB universe that you see them being far more epic in there. It's a shame she couldn't see proper combat in her actual battlefield.

She returned to active duty on 11 December, traveling to Canada carrying with her a portion of the Banque de France’s gold reserves. Upon returning to Brest, she had another period of modifications and maintenance.

I bet you it's Halifax again. That be awesome if there's some in-game tie-in region wise for you to make note of this. That's just awesome. Surcourf & Dunkersque be interesting Belles if they would keep that immersion up of connection & other stuff. Be like Victini on Pokemon Black & White, then Black 2 & White 2 versions. Something like that, and with other Belles also when they visit certain areas. Outside the whole VN stuff, yet still something they'd make note of outside in the menu, or something. Chat bubbles.

------------

Also, I made note of in the video that the speed "too fast'. I agreed with one of the comments below mine (posted earlier) that the video shows the battles WAY too quickly that your Belles just zip past that you can't process your information. In KanColle it goes at a nice speed that each Kanmusu actually gives a proper weighted experience, as well as being an 'actual' unit in there. Not a number, not something to hit the Abyssals, yet still holds immersion with their presence and the way they attack.

Another thing, the plane phase is weird, more so when compared with KanColle with how the planes are just images. In KanColle you can see a sprite of 1, two, or even three planes (for a grouping). They even have variations of seaplane, fighters, bombers, & even elite (or squadron leader). Planes have been changed nicely during KanColle's summer update, and more so leading up to this summer 2016. Be interesting to see a more 'weighted' plane movement on the map attacking targets.

I guess KanColle is the middle ground, and I see the reply back to "Shooter Girl is too slow in places" is true, but that's when you add in a typical play, speed up, & normal speed options. Both Flower Knight GIrl & Shooter Girl do play with the speed option, yet I have faith that BCS can figure out some kind of pacing to fit everyone's tastes from 1x speed, 2x, video's speed, and/or something other.

Not trying to phase out any ideas or anything, but I'm still hanging onto the idea of having a secondary selectable combat option of seeing battles on a combat grid as ships move about, somehow trying to figure out how to make them feel special, unique, and weighted. There has to be some way you should feel attached to your Belles in combat, something mostly done right in KanColle, yet still feeling that void.

It's a shame we can't go KanColle Arcade, yet won't go down that road because that's now going too far. VB's combat again is too fast, doesn't feel like you can feel attachment to your Belles, and you can't really process the information in there that it's just like your typical "generic" web games, even if it's testing. I guess I have to be playing the game to feel any stress & tension that I'd become attached to a Belle, yet everything else is still in question hmm. Granted, aware that it's still being fleshed out, and in beta, etc, etc.

Yes, yes, I know, I'm the top advocate in the general questions thread of not reiterating this question, but...

So assuming ships in '39 can't go more than the previously mentioned 10 meters or so from their ships, and waterskiing, and assuming they weren't using the ship they're on for the interview (which, even if it was one of them, means that one of the two would be farther than possible from their own hull), what happens to a ship who does break the limit and travel farther from her ship? Is it a hard barrier and they were really careful with the skiing? Do they get nauseous? Violently Ill? This interview opened this line of questioning again.

Fifrein;

They 'shift' or dematerialize, and find it difficult to reappear- it can take hours, sometimes days, for them to return.

There's a subtle hint buried in this interview about the restriction, but my lips are otherwise sworn to silence. ;)

Edit:

AK;

Thanks for the feedback! As noted in the Update, the Air Operations is certain to change prior to the end- they are trying concepts. Originally, the Team envisioned planes attacking in a way similar to Kancolle, but they are now looking at a more structured approach. I suspect it's too early to know how it will go right now.

I love that teaser for Hood, and Mahan really does alot of different activities, I will not be surprised if she did hot air ballooning, then get a free of heights from said experience.

Edited: fear

Thank you very much!

I don't know if Legate has seen this, but is there a Victory Belles Presents in the future? I mean...I'm aware that it's a lot of work to produce, but it might be good to put one out periodically to keep interest for Victory Belles alive for fans and those who are still interested in helping the project. Working with Gaijin Goombah could also be a good option as well since his YouTube channel gets a lot of traffic :).

Procyon;

You may missed it in the Update, but in fact one is coming. They are a ton of fun! :)

I can't wait :D.

The Boise segment was so enjoyable to watch / listen. I hope you guys are also gearing up some marketing / public relations to get more people to explore / try out Victory Belles :D.

Procyon;

Definitely, the majority of that is likely to be more in 2017 than now, for obvious reasons. :)

Aye! I mean...the game is set for March of next year, right?

Maybe you guys can also get involved in the convention circuit as well. I mean...where are you guys headquartered? I went to Anime Expo this past summer and there were a good amount of Kancolle and small game companies there. If you combine the two interests, you can gain a good audience :).

Archived