Black Chicken Studios Forums

Update 38 - Kumano

Nel Celestine

That armerment discrepancy! "Light" cruisers indeed! Like how the Cleveland class in the USN were also "light" cruisers, though the Mogami class was built with the intention of swapping to the 203 mm guns.

I do find her view of her sisters interesting as she's the youngest, but i imagine that's connected to her real life counterpart's service record. Otherwise, a real cool customer.

And as usual Mahan is a real trooper. The things she does for us...

I honestly love her she's one of my favorite Belles design-wise plus she mentioned she was a light Cruiser right did the Imperial Japanese Navy had some kind of Mark 17 style guns? On a side note I would have loved to be there in the interview and warm up mahan ;) I can't wait for a Nevada interview I wonder what she'll be like personality wise

I honestly love her she's one of my favorite Belles design-wise plus she mentioned she was a light Cruiser right did the Imperial Japanese Navy had some kind of Mark 17 style guns? On a side note I would have loved to be there in the interview and warm up mahan ;) I can't wait for a Nevada interview I wonder what she'll be like personality wise

Actually, as I recall (so don't quote me on this)...The Washington Naval Treaty had severely restricted the tonnage of the ships Japan was allowed to put into service. Due to this, they designed a class of "light cruisers" (the Mogamis) around 8500 tons and with 6-in guns at construction, who could be easily and quickly upgraded to use 8-in guns at the inevitable outbreak of war. The problem was, as Kumano mentioned, the designs were flawed as as they started off and so many corrections and upgrades had to be made that they ended up a little over 14000(?) tons in practice. Interestingly enough, Japan was good at keeping these secrets at the time (or everyone else was terrible at figuring them out) and all other major powers believed the Mogami class to still be 8500 ton light cruisers. It wasn't until the Americans sunk what they thought was a battleship at Midway (Mikuma), that they realized how horribly wrong they were about these particular ships.

>D-don’t look at me like that! I’d like to see you wear shorts this short in a subpolar c-climate.
>You’re meeting one of the J-Japanese Belles today, and she suggested we m-m-meet halfway. I assumed she meant Hawaii - how p-pleasant would Hawaii be, right about now?
>But, no. She m-meant Alaska.
Armchair strategist as is :D

>I suppose it will be as g-good a time as any to see whether Belles are affected by frostbite.
south alaska&islands != cold enough to

>formed Sentai-7,
>>flagship for Cruiser Division 7
Not anybody know that Sentai ~ CruDiv
BTW, why all Japs refers to Captain by full naval rank? (AFAIK, ship CO has different title)

>When she returns, I will tell her of plans within plans that will deepen her understanding of strategy.
Tzeench Shadow Fleet© :D

Actually, as I recall (so don't quote me on this)...The Washington Naval Treaty had severely restricted the tonnage of the ships Japan was allowed to put into service.

>_<

v_L;

It's really hard to say- kaigun-daisa *appears* to have been the IJN naval rank of Captain in 1939. Honestly, we don't know. We've heard a few different accounts. :)

The same officer ranks were used for both the Imperial Japanese Army and Imperial Japanese Navy, the only distinction being the placement of the word Rikugun (army) or Kaigun (navy) before the rank. Thus, for example, a captain in the navy shared the same rank designation as that of a colonel in the army: Taisa (colonel), so the rank of Rikugun Taisa denoted an army colonel, while the rank of Kaigun Taisa denoted a naval captain.© Wiki

So "kaigun taisa" is formal and so used:

-when speaker is 146% formal and polite/or being puny mortal lesser rank (not all belles)

-when Army officers present

=> just "taisa" , while informal, AFAIK was more widely used

(And, AFAIK, JP differs Captain(CO)-Captain(rank))

Can we not use the term "Jap" please? Sorry, don't mean to be squeamish, but my grandmother was full Japanese and lived through WWII and the occupation, moving to the US in the 50's. It is considered a slur and still makes me cringe when I hear it after remembering the stories I've heard (she loved living in the United States, only had a couple of isolated incidents though).

Can we not use the term "Jap" please? Sorry, don't mean to be squeamish, but my grandmother was full Japanese and lived through WWII and the occupation, moving to the US in the 50's. It is considered a slur and still makes me cringe when I hear it after remembering the stories I've heard (she loved living in the United States, only had a couple of isolated incidents though).

This is the second time someone's said it's a racial slur and I still don't understand it. Maybe because I'm white and English, but in a lot of documentaries I've seen about World War II and the pacific theatre specifically, you have people from then and people now using that along with Japanese. Personally I can't see how it is a slur as it is just a shortening of Japanese down to the first 3 letters. It's akin to John for Johnathan or Will for William. Again, probably because I'm not Japanese myself.

It's probably less that the term in itself is a slur, and more that it was used as one by the Americans and Their allies in WWII. Think of the song "We're gonna have to slap a dirty Jap." The word Jap wasn't being used by itself. It was being associated with filth and inferiority. From things like that it grew into association with such things and the term became considered a slur, like Negro.

It's probably less that the term in itself is a slur, and more that it was used as one by the Americans and Their allies in WWII. Think of the song "We're gonna have to slap a dirty Jap." The word Jap wasn't being used by itself. It was being associated with filth and inferiority. From things like that it grew into association with such things and the term became considered a slur, like Negro.

Or Krauts. Still a little bit uncomfortable when people use that term. I know it's mostly just because they are joking, but the term was mostly used to describe the Nazis during WW2 (next to others like Jerry, Fritz etc.) And to use that term to describe normal Germans nowadays just feels wrong.

Or Krauts. Still a little bit uncomfortable when people use that term. I know it's mostly just because they are joking, but the term was mostly used to describe the Nazis during WW2 (next to others like Jerry, Fritz etc.) And to use that term to describe normal Germans nowadays just feels wrong.

Maybe it's just American media using it so much that it's softened up. Again, I personally see no issue with Jerry or the other two. Heck I use Frog for the French (again, English, considered a national pastime to mouth off the Frenchies)

Animosity towards the Germans was a bit less than animosity towards the Japanese, for obvious reasons. Plus, Germans could blend in too as long as they didn't speak with an accent and changed their name. So the negative aspects of being labeled a "Jap" may have been worse. But both were certainly bad to be labeled in America at the time. I wish I could say we had grown past that as a nation but I know better.

Ack! I started a flame war?. I didn't want to start anything, but the term had been leveled in hateful ways towards my family and it makes me uncomfortable.

Ack! I started a flame war. I didn't want to start anything, but the term had been leveled in hateful ways towards my family and it makes me uncomfortable.

nah that wasn't a flame war quite far from it actually these guys are just posting their opinions & views around the subject, but when they do start swearing & calling each other Nazi's or comparing each other to Hitler then the moderators might have to step in.

In regards to that term. I first learned about it playing Final Fantasy XI. Since the servers were in Japan and thus they always had the ping advantage over the rest of us many people used that slur at first until it was brought up that the slur came from and why it was insulting. Thus, as a community, we started using JP. Short for "Japanese Player".

Archived