Black Chicken Studios Forums

Why Libertad(Galicia) is in the game

Dmnt

1 hour ago, Panay's Ghost said:

Like I said before, she is definitely a Belle.  No question.:D

I deeply apologize for even suggesting it, but, anytime you say something along those lines I can't really tell if you're being heartfeltly honest, or if you're being sarcastic and mocking me...

Yeah, I figured as much. I guess it's just I'm aways kinda weary of things said on the internet...

------------------------------

Since we reached the second page, I think it's a good opportunity for me to expand on some stuff.

I'm completely aware her name in 1939 was Galicia, and so, that's the name she'll have in the game, so I'd like to explain why I still always call her Libertad.

It has a whole lot to do with the significance of both names, which I'll go over next.

After the Civil War ended, General Francisco Franco appointed himself as dictator. As Canarias diligently(and proudly) noted during her interview, Franco was born at Ferrol, which is in the Galicia region within Spain.

Next, any of you who has some understanding of Spanish will know "Libertad" means "freedom". If not, now you do. This will be very important for the rest of this post, so don't forget it.

Before continuing, I'd like to address another thing Canarias said.

Libertad and Lepanto surrendered following the Civil War. The former has taken the name Galicia, trying to make people forget about her tainted past.

Some have forgotten what they did.

I have not.

Canarias seems to believe Libertad willingly changed her name, but that's not the case. Not at all.

She was forced to change her name, it was a punishment.

Because, you know, her being the flagship of the Republican Fleet was not a mere coincidence. It was highly symbolic, as whenever the Republican Fleet were following Libertad's lead, they were, in name and in spirit, following the very principles of freedom, the freedom they wished to maintain for all the people of Spain.
Punishing the leader of the losing side to set an example was a no-brainer for Franco's ideology, and in this case, it was just as symbolic.

Her being stripped of her name, Libertad, symbolized the citizens of Spain being stripped of their freedom, now under the rule of a fascist dictatorship.

Giving her the name Galicia, symbolized the new government of Franco's regime(remember, he was born in Galicia), taking the place of that lost freedom.

I hope this gave some insight as to why I dislike that renaming, and why I do, and will, always refer to her as "Libertad".

On 3.6.2017 at 3:08 AM, Dmnt said:

The former has taken the name Galicia, trying to make people forget about her tainted past.

Since you quoted it: Canarias states, Galicia took the name. If it was forced on her, she would've said it was given to her. Maybe your "all-republican" ship, isn't that republican after all. Or at least not as proud as you'd wish her to be. 

It's simple. Canarias is wrong.

She assumes Libertad chose to do the change, because of the reason she thinks it was done for.

When they forced her to change it, they made it look like she did so willingly, to give the impression that she was ashamed of what she had done, while still sending the intended message to any remaining republic supporters.

At least that's what I believe.

And I know... I'm letting my expectations build up dangerously high, perhaps to a point where they may even become impossible to meet.

Archived