Black Chicken Studios Forums

Pc's age during Y1

Rhialto

I have been assuming that the majority of the First year students during Y1 are 13 years old. This would allow for @Legate of Mineta's comment that they are 12-14 to be true. I assume that the 14-year-old would be Jere Niemala towards the end of Y1, while the 12 year old would be Kurt Henning at the beginning of the game. Thus, the PC would be 13, fitting in with the description on the wiki of "a newly arrived teenager in a strange, vast school". Did I make any errors in these thoughts? I ask because @Mikka said (at:

) that "Antonio has an early birthday, turning eleven on Athonos 4, making him one of the youngest kids in the school (and giving a huge advantage in getting those yummy attribute points early on). Miya has a summer birthday, so I'm not worrying about her quite yet- she's already twelve, though, making her likely one of the older students in year one."

Final;ly, is there planned in Y2 to have way for players to choose their characters' birthdays? and will such birthdays have a greater impact for students in Avila?

• 1 year later...
2 minutes ago, Metis said:

IIRC, students generally are thirteen on the Juvenalia of their second academic year, and turn fourteen over the course of that year if their BD doesn't fall within the two summer months after their second year is over. Pru's BD is...Nivelos 16, so she's thirteen until about four and a half months into Y2. At least, technically. Maturity doesn't work on a Floor(time since date of birth) function, so your call as to how much it counts for.

Is this true and were my calculations in error? or is @Metis misremembering the idea that "students generally are thirteen on the Juvenalia of their second academic year"? Because that would meant that they are mostly 12 on Y1's Juvenalia. But I assumed that only Kurt Henning was 12 on this day, and that Flore's thirteenth birthday was on Juvenalia.

From what I recall/dig up BCS once (incorrectly) commented that the Y1 kids are 11, I corrected the Legate...somewhere on this forum pointing out that they're 12-13, and the Steam post was edited to reflect that. As far as I know Y1 students are, as a rule, 12 years old on Juvenalia of their first year, with Kurt Henning being an exception that was approved by the Legate (in part?) because his BD is on Athonos 8, little over a week later.

@Metis: But the forum thread that you linked to has "Black Chicken Studios, Inc.  [developer] 17 Apr, 2017 @ 9:26pm "Not really - most of the students are ~13. You can set up for it, but that's about it.""

So if most of the students are 13ish during Y1, they would be 14 during Y2.

Furthermore,

On 10/22/2017 at 9:41 PM, Rhialto said:

I have been assuming that the majority of the First year students during Y1 are 13 years old. This would allow for @Legate of Mineta's comment that they are 12-14 to be true. I assume that the 14-year-old would be Jere Niemala towards the end of Y1, while the 12 year old would be Kurt Henning at the beginning of the game. Thus, the PC would be 13, fitting in with the description on the wiki of "a newly arrived teenager in a strange, vast school". Did I make any errors in these thoughts? I ask because @Mikka said (at:

) that "Antonio has an early birthday, turning eleven on Athonos 4, making him one of the youngest kids in the school (and giving a huge advantage in getting those yummy attribute points early on). Miya has a summer birthday, so I'm not worrying about her quite yet- she's already twelve, though, making her likely one of the older students in year one."

In response to the preceding quotation,

On 10/23/2017 at 12:51 AM, Legate of Mineta said:

Rhi;

No, it looks like your analysis is right.

For these reasons, I think that the characters are 13, barring the extremes whom I cited, during Y1, and are, with the same caveats, 14 during Y2.

I definitely remember correcting the Legate with saying that Y1 kids are 12-13 as a rule when I saw that Steam post, and I definitely don't remember getting corrected on that point by the Legate. If only I could either find that post of where I got that information from in the first place I'd be getting somewhere...

Really though, it's just a matter of rounding up or down. Do you focus on how old the kids are when they enter the academic year or how old most are when they leave the academic year? I just tend to favor the former, since (barring special exceptions) it's true for everyone. No summer months to make things complicated.

EDIT: Found it:

On 4/18/2017 at 11:08 AM, Metis said:

On a completely unrelated note, here's another quote from the Steam discussions (this is going to be a recurring theme, isn't it?):

Not really - most of the [first year Academagia] students are 11. You can set up for [romance], but that's about it.

Eh, correct me if I'm wrong, but I do recall the cut-off for first year Academagia students being 12 on Juvenalia, and only Kurt being 11 for a week and change at the start of the school year because he was so close to the cut-off that the Legate made an exception for him.

On 4/18/2017 at 2:54 PM, Legate of Mineta said:

Metis;

Yep, only Kurt is 11, as I recall. Most Students are 12-13.

Archived