Black Chicken Studios Forums

KS Update 84 - of Hearts

von_Lipstig

31 minutes ago, Dmnt said:

So, in order for everything to work, the player's gender should need to be specified at some point of the game...
Also, all spoken phrases in languages which have distinct words for a male or female captain(and that are directly mentioning it) will need two different recorded versions.

For the material in English, with some care you can avoid any gender usage when referring to the captain.  Just look at the interviews for evidence of that.

As far as the spoken snippets that will be voiced, I'm sure care can be taken even in other languages to maintain the ambiguity within the rules of particular languages.  Certainly with English and Japanese it's not that hard at all.  For the others, well, I'm sure some very smart and creative people are working to make sure the ambiguity is maintained.

Hmm...

To be honest, I'm extremely curious to see how they will manage to pull this one out.

While I can't really say for other languages, I can assure you that maintaining the Captain's gender ambiguous in Spanish is going to be harder than HARD.
The main issue here is that the word "captain" itself is gendered, which, thinking about it, is really funny, as all other military ranks I can think off the top of my head are actually gender-neutral(that is, the "male" version is used for both male and female).
So, if the Captain was instead, say, a Commodore, or an Admiral, most of the issue would be gone.

15 hours ago, DrYuriMom said:

Yes, because of the fundamental misogyny (:P) of Spanish and German.....

15 hours ago, Legate of Mineta said:

Yep, those cursed Romance languages throw a wrench.....

@Legate of Mineta thank you so much for calling German a romance language.... :wub::wub::wub:

For a game that advertised "[...]you can date a battleship. *drops mic* Say whaaaaaaaaat?" the Belles seems pretty disinterested in romance. I guess it makes sense since war is brewing and they will have much more important shi-stuff to focus on.

Unless this is like a "prelude" to the actual game and the Belles are too freshly "summoned" to understand the human emotion of love. I expected them to be a bit more open to the idea since romancing them in-game is a big thing. All I can think of is Mahan's little crush on the captain, but that's only because she's been around them for so long.

1 hour ago, Legate of Mineta said:

Hee hee hee. :)

Well, I've purposefully been avoiding this thread, but I'll step in now.

Both of these Belles do clearly note that it is *going* to happen, but they don't want to say anything more. They simply outline all the reasons why it *shouldn't*. :)

Reading between the lines is so much fun.  We probably shouldn’t do it with military procedure and regulation, but who am I to stand in the way of love...

who am I kidding?  I’m going to be the greatest of captains in Love.

14 minutes ago, von_Lipstig said:
  Hide contents

> you can date a battleship

then ask ze BB

Hide contents

vUvTNR6.jpg

Screw the rules, I’m in love!  She’s quite not a battleship in the traditional sense though...

The game is in it's own crazy world. But the main character is a relative of Rommel who doesn't know that he is related. So I would go with no or he would have known about that. Also the whole game takes place in Japan.

That game is nonsense after nonsense, but it does have its funny moments.

Something along the lines...

"Now Sherman will shoot at you, and you need to endure it."
"Have you gone mad? I don't have any armor!"(the protagonist is human)
"You need to learn how to angle to maximize your armor!"

Or like...

"I thought I was gonna go to tank school, but it turned out to be Tank School..."

Archived