Black Chicken Studios Forums

How does the choice of collage effect what type of school life you will lead.

Von-Wulfen

How does the choice of collage effect what type of school life you will lead.
As I have not started playing the game yet I know nothing about mechanics. 
Say I want to create an extremely mischievous, curious about hidden dark magic and secrets type of character. ( I was going to RP the early life of Bellatrix Lestrange from the HP books)
How does my choice of college come into this equation?

Are there colleges that be more suited to the darker side of magic, that she is interested in?

Your choice of College changes what college-exclusive adventures are open to you and which mandatory classes you have, primarily. A student who dabbles in forbidden magic can be from Durand as much as Hedi, or any of the others. RP-wise there's things that you'd keep in mind depending on what College you're in, but mechanically you're no more or less likely to be caught trespassing (or what have you) whether your Regent is Briardi or von Rupprecht.

12 minutes ago, Metis said:

Your choice of College changes what college-exclusive adventures are open to you and which mandatory classes you have, primarily. A student who dabbles in forbidden magic can be from Durand as much as Hedi, or any of the others. RP-wise there's things that you'd keep in mind depending on what College you're in, but mechanically you're no more or less likely to be caught trespassing (or what have you) whether your Regent is Briardi or von Rupprecht.

In a thread on steam about favorite college, someone mentioned: "Come to Aranaz, come to the dark side". What did they mean by this? It implies the college is more to do with dark powers?

Nothing that drastic. Aranaz just has a bad reputation for being untrustworthy and putting their ambitions, collective or individual, ahead of the concerns/feelings/whatever of others. Some definitely are that way (Rikildis' response to getting a bad grade is amazing, in a bad way), others aren't, at least visibly.

16 minutes ago, Metis said:

Nothing that drastic. Aranaz just has a bad reputation for being untrustworthy and putting their ambitions, collective or individual, ahead of the concerns/feelings/whatever of others. Some definitely are that way (Rikildis' response to getting a bad grade is amazing, in a bad way), others aren't, at least visibly.

Many thanks, so does the choice of college define what sort of adventures you have? I'm curious as I have seen some threads about favorite college etc

Only what college exclusive adventures you have access to. There might be a few adventures where one college gets an option that other colleges don't or vice-versa, but those instances are very few and far between - I can only remember one example off-hand, of the 100+ adventures I've gone through, so college exclusive adventures aside it's nothing you need worry about.

41 minutes ago, Metis said:

Only what college exclusive adventures you have access to. There might be a few adventures where one college gets an option that other colleges don't or vice-versa, but those instances are very few and far between - I can only remember one example off-hand, of the 100+ adventures I've gone through, so college exclusive adventures aside it's nothing you need worry about.

Many thanks once again :)

10 hours ago, Rhialto said:

Which adventure/college are you talking about?

To The Entrance, if you're in Aranaz you can't commission the statue of King Durand. Incidentally, if you're in Durand you get different text for that option than if you're in a non-Aranaz/Durand college, but the rewards I'm pretty sure are the same.

On 1/24/2018 at 1:51 PM, Metis said:

To The Entrance, if you're in Aranaz you can't commission the statue of King Durand. Incidentally, if you're in Durand you get different text for that option than if you're in a non-Aranaz/Durand college, but the rewards I'm pretty sure are the same.

Do you know the trigger for that adventure? I did that on one playthrough, but was unable to get it to show on another. No significant changes to the character; same college(Durand), same gender, etc. With the mod tools apparently broken for now, and this adventure being part of DLC16 there's no easy way to check.

Spoiler

It was an interesting adventure for a Gates student, getting to know some of the background of Gates magic in Academagia.

14 minutes ago, Metis said:

IIRC it's tied to something related to the Explore skillset. Basically, level the Explore subskills and unless I'm wrong the adventure should show up sooner or later.

Ah, thanks. Would explain it since I don't prioritize that skill.

Explore, so, Seeking Friends in Hidden Places perhaps. Would fit the location of this adventure. Anyway, I'll keep this in mind if I do another run.

Archived