Black Chicken Studios Forums

How much time to dedicate to training and studying for classes?

Von-Wulfen

I have been training in revision which is also one of my classes does that add to my class score or should I also use study to boost my class score as well?

And how often should I train and study my classes in my spare time? There are so many adventures to be had but I want to do well in my classes?

I prefer to get the study levels maxed ASAP, but don't train in class skills. Classes do give points to sub skills occasionally, not really sure of the system as it's not really transparent.

Note that skipping classes is a thing, provided you don't skip all of them. In fact, skipping test period classes is even recommended as they don't teach anything.

5 minutes ago, Marcus said:

I prefer to get the study levels maxed ASAP, but don't train in class skills. Classes do give points to sub skills occasionally, not really sure of the system as it's not really transparent.

Note that skipping classes is a thing, provided you don't skip all of them. In fact, skipping test period classes is even recommended as they don't teach anything.

So how do I max my study levels asap, please? Im very much enjoying the game but its still a huge lerning curve.

Also, what do you mean about not training in class skills? Do you mean my school classes?

The study action is the basic method. They are others more efficient methods such as Impressing with Graphs and Charts (Action), but that requires a difficult roll, especially in the early game. Maxing test-taking subskill is recommended for this.

Yes, school class skills. For you it would mean at least Revision.

25 minutes ago, Von-Wulfen said:

And how often should I train and study my classes in my spare time? There are so many adventures to be had but I want to do well in my classes?

Test scores are calculated using study levels * skill level. For example, a study level of 5 and a skill level of 5 in Revision would give you a score of 25. 50 % * 50 = 25. Note that midterm are weighted differently per subject on the final grade, for some getting a lousy score in midterms is only 1% of the final score. So practically irrelevant.

If you're interested in the details, you could check freespace2dotcom's gradebook here:

Because of the weighting in midterms I hardly bother to train class skills, because by final exams they'll have had ample time to level "naturally" without me doing anything.

5 minutes ago, Marcus said:

The study action is the basic method. They are others more efficient methods such as Impressing with Graphs and Charts (Action), but that requires a difficult roll, especially in the early game. Maxing test-taking subskill is recommended for this.

Test scores are calculated using study levels * skill level. For example, a study level of 5 and a skill level of 5 in Revision would give you a score of 25. 50 % * 50 = 25. Note that midterm are weighted differently per subject on the final grade, for some getting a lousy score in midterms is only 1% of the final score. So practically irrelevant.

If you're interested in the details, you could check freespace2dotcom's gradebook here:

Because of the weighting in midterms I hardly bother to train class skills, because by final exams they'll have had ample time to level "naturally" without me doing anything.

Mnay thanks once again. Is the Study level the red book next to parent skill points in the "Skills & Research" menu? 

19 minutes ago, Marcus said:

Classes do give points to sub skills occasionally, not really sure of the system as it's not really transparent.

It's not mentioned ingame, but for reference, the game has pre-defined lists of subskills that classes can teach within a three day window (ignoring weekends, holidays and the exam months since those days either have no classes or cannot teach anything). If you're in Zoology and ever wondered why sometimes you get a point of Insects on Athonos 1st when on other playthroughs you get it on the 4th, it's because that class teaches Insects on Athonos 2, +/- 3 days.

Just now, Von-Wulfen said:

Mnay thanks once again. Is the Study level the red book next to parent skill points in the "Skills & Research" menu?

Correct.

6 hours ago, Marcus said:

You got it a bit wrong study 5 means you get a random number between 5.0 and 10.0 that is then multiplied with your skill for the exam result.

better check out http://academagia.wikia.com/wiki/Exams:_A_Guide as the info there are more clear then what you can gain from the gradebook.

24 minutes ago, Schwarzbart said:

You got it a bit wrong study 5 means you get a random number between 5.0 and 10.0 that is then multiplied with your skill for the exam result.

better check out http://academagia.wikia.com/wiki/Exams:_A_Guide as the info there are more clear then what you can gain from the gradebook.

Huh, there is a random element to exams? Well, as I said, I rush study mastery, so I am at 10 for midterms already. Goes to show you that you shouldn't speak of things you have no experience of.

Cheers all for the info, I can now see there are multiple ways to raise skills and subskills but I'm still unclear how these interact with and increase the study level number?

Also, is there a way to see all of the classes you have taken and how well you are doing in them? So I can see what areas or skills I need to work on? Maybe a breakdown of the skills involved in the class and a point system to aim for?

Skill step/level increases and study level increases are two separate things. The game should clarify which one it uses. Incidentally, there are a few ways to study beyond Study in the Venalicium Library, but that's not something to worry about the first go around. SatVL can easily carry one through the entire game.

You can tell what your classload is based on which skills have study levels, since only your class skills do.

Archived