Black Chicken Studios Forums

My first item :) But how does one identify it?

Von-Wulfen

1 hour ago, Von-Wulfen said:

Hi all, Just got my first ever item since I started playing the game, a deck of cards :)

However, I cant identify it so "you do not have information about this item" text when I look at the cards.

How do I go about Identifying items I come across on my adventures?

The easy way is to use the Shop action and sell the item to a vendor (you cannot sell to a catalog for obvious reasons) and then rebuy it.  While you are at it you can do some shopping as well (I usually sell off food items for instance).

59 minutes ago, Grue said:

The easy way is to use the Shop action and sell the item to a vendor (you cannot sell to a catalog for obvious reasons) and then rebuy it.  While you are at it you can do some shopping as well (I usually sell off food items for instance).

This is the best way, although it also borders on being a cheat/exploit. Logically it doesn't make sense; you give the merchant the item and they tell you what it is and what they'll pay for it, and then you'll tell them: "Oh, so that's what it was? Thanks, I won't be selling it after all." and walk out the door. I can imagine the look on the merchant's face. <_<

Identifying/using items takes a whole time slot, so it's needlessly time consuming and thus decreases the value of active items. This in turn forces to use exploits, such as the merchant thing. I really hope items are buffed in Y2 for time slots, this would also improve crafting.

1 minute ago, Marcus said:

This is the best way, although it also borders on being a cheat/exploit. Logically it doesn't make sense; you give the merchant the item and they tell you what it is and what they'll pay for it, and then you'll tell them: "Oh, so that's what it was? Thanks, I won't be selling it after all." and walk out the door. I can imagine the look on the merchant's face. <_<

Identifying/using items takes a whole time slot, so it's needlessly time consuming and thus decreases the value of active items. This in turn forces to use exploits, such as the merchant thing. I really hope items are buffed in Y2 for time slots, this would also improve crafting.

Yeah but it's a traditional CRPG exploit to sell an unidentified item to a vendor and then buy it back (at least since SSI's gold box series iirc).:P  If they would buy at 50% and sell at full price it wouldn't be an issue (except I'd want a confirmation yes\no screen before finalizing sales)

3 minutes ago, Grue said:

Yeah but it's a traditional CRPG exploit to sell an unidentified item to a vendor and then buy it back (at least since SSI's gold box series iirc).:P  If they would buy at 50% and sell at full price it wouldn't be an issue (except I'd want a confirmation yes\no screen before finalizing sales)

Yup, but fixing the exploit wouldn't really fix the issue with the time slots. So, I tend to use the exploit as compensation for the time slots.

Cheers, all. So You sell an item at the shop, he identifies it but you then buy back the now identified item for the same price you sold it for?

Or spend 10 pims and subskill points on school survival plus a time slot?

I can see why people use the shop method. It would be better to have some sort of "identify/appraise" skill you could learn that would allow you to identify an item depending on its level as soon as it comes into your possession. 

I have only found 1 store so far, that sells wands and trinkets, far too expensive for me. It was shown to me by Oan as part of my mentor adventure.

Identify the item via the shop have the downside that you got a eye witness who knows you have a certain illegal item and this might come back at you in year 2.

After all the explain why in year 1 the price for selling and buying is the same is that 1st year Academagia students have this as special privilege.

20 minutes ago, Schwarzbart said:

Identify the item via the shop have the downside that you got a eye witness who knows you have a certain illegal item and this might come back at you in year 2.

After all the explain why in year 1 the price for selling and buying is the same is that 1st year Academagia students have this as special privilege.

So to avoid detection one has to order via the catalog or use the method that Rhialto mentioned above?

There at last 2 spells that allows you to identify your own items but they also cost 1 timeslot.

But I personal don't care because I somehow doubt that BCS really check all shop transactions of year 1 for illegal items sold as then they also have to look what shop it was where you sold it.

30 minutes ago, Schwarzbart said:

There at last 2 spells that allows you to identify your own items but they also cost 1 timeslot.

But I personal don't care because I somehow doubt that BCS really check all shop transactions of year 1 for illegal items sold as then they also have to look what shop it was where you sold it.

I like the idea of using spells to do it :) What Skill are they from?

20 minutes ago, Von-Wulfen said:

Many thanks. Ill have a good read up on it. One thing though, these catalogs that have been mentioned, I don't seem to have access to them. Do I have to discover the catalog?

Catalogs are the Academagia equivalent of net shopping, you buy stuff and it's delivered to you, but you can't sell items to them. It's a more secure way of buying stuff since you can't get caught with illegal stuff on you. There's also a time lag between purchase and delivery.

Catalogs are discovered the same way as most shops, through skill level ups.

List of catalogs: http://academagia.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Catalog_Shop

and while I'm at it all shops:

http://academagia.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Shop

Archived