Black Chicken Studios Forums

Attend Class: Random rewards?

Von-Wulfen

Are skill steps and new phemes learned while attending a class period random?

I have noticed that sometimes when I attend a class I don't gain any benefit like a skill step, pheme or ability.

While the previous period in class gave me benefits etc to my skills.

Would these "attend class" periods where you appear to gain nothing, be the ones to target for skipping and using an ability or action to actually expand your skills etc?

I know you would have to save first to find out that's why I'm curious if the rewards for attending the class are random.

4 hours ago, Von-Wulfen said:

Are skill steps and new phemes learned while attending a class period random?

Yes and no :D. You'll always learn the same skills and phemes from a class, if you attend all of them. In which classes you'll learn these is the random part.

Would these "attend class" periods where you appear to gain nothing, be the ones to target for skipping and using an ability or action to actually expand your skills etc?

That's the optimal way of doing it, however that'll require an ungodly amount of save scumming, so not for me.

I know you would have to save first to find out that's why I'm curious if the rewards for attending the class are random.

I believe the rewards are fixed at the start of the week, so once you'll know which classes will give those out they won't change.

First of all class give you skill steps not level but only once that skill step is enough to raise a full level you get a report.

Then for the 2 month of the exams there no skills trained at all during class.

The skills you get trained during the year in a class are all fixed in the data base but are random placed within +-3 class day around a fixed date.

Over the year even if you not count the 2 months of the exam the skill gain from class slot is worse then train, that is why there if my class fix mod.

(Be aware my mod only increase the skills you gain somewhat so that it at last can compare to train)

13 hours ago, Marcus said:

Yes and no :D. You'll always learn the same skills and phemes from a class, if you attend all of them. In which classes you'll learn these is the random part.

That's the optimal way of doing it, however that'll require an ungodly amount of save scumming, so not for me.

I believe the rewards are fixed at the start of the week, so once you'll know which classes will give those out they won't change.

I'm still a little confused. So, for example, the morning period class seems to give no benefits but the afternoon class gives me some lore, new phemes etc.

But the morning class even though there appears to be no benefit in attending may still be adding skill steps I can't see but will eventually lead to a skill point?

13 hours ago, Schwarzbart said:

First of all class give you skill steps not level but only once that skill step is enough to raise a full level you get a report.

The skills you get trained during the year in a class are all fixed in the data base but are random placed within +-3 class day around a fixed date.

Over the year even if you not count the 2 months of the exam the skill gain from class slot is worse then train, that is why there if my class fix mod.

(Be aware my mod only increase the skills you gain somewhat so that it at last can compare to train)

I'm a little scared of adding mods atm but thank you for the info. I may dabble in mods when I am more confident :)

Just a quick note. The class I skipped which I believed gave no benefit ( I reloaded the save 3 times to check.)

I used that skipped class to "Study the Fields" Ability and gained 3 sub-skill points and a skill point in botany.

Botany is one of my compulsory classes and I had 0 subskill points hence no skill point in that class.

This seemed to me, a good opportunity to expand my Botany by skipping a class period that appeared to give me no benefits.

19 minutes ago, Von-Wulfen said:

I'm still a little confused. So, for example, the morning period class seems to give no benefits but the afternoon class gives me some lore, new phemes etc.

But the morning class even though there appears to be no benefit in attending may still be adding skill steps I can't see but will eventually lead to a skill point?

Yes, what Schwarzbart mentioned is that it may give you skill steps, but not notify you if it did not reach a full skill level.

As an example, let's say your skill level in theory of incantation is 1 and the required skill steps to level to 2 are 0 of 2. The morning lesson may give you a skill step, but since it will become 1 of 2 and not a full skill level, it won't notify you of any skill gains. The afternoon lesson would then possibly give another skill step and it would become 2 of 2, in another words a full skill level, and inform you all gained phemes etc. Note that incantation (or any class) is only taught once a day, so my example is purely theoretical.

So, to maximize your time efficiency you'd need to check your gained skill steps for all class sub skills, so... not really worth the pain and effort.

3 minutes ago, Marcus said:

Yes, what Schwarzbart mentioned is that it may give you skill steps, but not notify you if it did not reach a full skill level.

As an example, let's say your skill level in theory of incantation is 1 and the required skill steps to level to are 0 of 2. The morning lesson may give you a skill step, but since it will become 1 of 2 and not a full skill level, it won't notify you of any skill gains. The afternoon lesson would then possibly give another skill step and it would become 2 of 2, in another words a full skill level, and inform you all gained phemes etc. Note that incantation (or any class) is only taught once a day, so my example is purely theoretical.

So, to maximize your time efficiency you'd need to check your gained skill steps for all class sub skills, so... not really worth the pain and effort.

Many thanks, maybe ill avoid skipping class in future. There seems to be plenty of free time to raise skills, adventure, explore etc.

If I don't "Need" to skip classes in order to improve my abilities id rather not  :)

37 minutes ago, Von-Wulfen said:

Many thanks, maybe ill avoid skipping class in future. There seems to be plenty of free time to raise skills, adventure, explore etc.

If I don't "Need" to skip classes in order to improve my abilities id rather not  :)

If you want to make the most of your time slots, skip exam period lessons (Cheimare and Kaliri), since those don't teach anything.

Edit: Oops, no idea where Chemaire came from.

14 hours ago, Schwarzbart said:

Despite my fear of breaking my game, I'm intrigued by your mod.

So the mod makes all class study periods worth attending my giving more rewards on the classes that may give a single skill step but appear to give nothing?

NO it just increase what you get thought over the year a bit. Geometry got the largest increase with 17 Steps over the year what is a increase by 30% compared to the original game. Other class got a increase by 7 or 8 Steps what probably is around 10% increase.

Because we only can work with the data from version 1.0 to create mods all the newer Sub Skills are not possible for us to add and I also didn't want to change to much. On average you get thought 1 step per class time slot with my mod but natural its still random placed. So sometimes you get 1 step in all 3 class while at other class time slot there is nothing. (As mentioned during the 2 month of the exam class can't teach you anything)

9 minutes ago, Schwarzbart said:

NO it just increase what you get thought over the year a bit. Geometry got the largest increase with 17 Steps over the year what is a increase by 30% compared to the original game. Other class got a increase by 7 or 8 Steps what probably is around 10% increase.

Because we only can work with the data from version 1.0 to create mods all the newer Sub Skills are not possible for us to add and I also didn't want to change to much. On average you get thought 1 step per class time slot but natural its still random sometimes get 1 step in all 3 class while at other class time slot there is nothing. (As Freespace mentioned during the 2 month of the exam class can't teach anything)

Sounds really good. Would you have a link to the mod and how to install it, please?

Archived