Black Chicken Studios Forums

Explanation of Compete Action

Mary Sue

"Compete" is an action that every student of Academagia knows. Students with no skill in Compete, students with no skills ANYWHERE, can still Compete and earn pity points, at the very least.

Lately, all I've been able to imagine is a student marching around campus and whispering (not yelling, that requires Voice) "Compete, compete, compete, compete," for an entire timeslot, and Orso Orsi jumping out of the bushes and announcing "PITIABLE STUDENT I AWARD THEE 3 PITY POINTS FOR THY LOVE OF SCHOOL AND COLLEGE," and then running away from his responsibilities. I'm not sure how else Compete would work for an unskilled student, because even spending an afternoon making a macaroni picture of their school badge would require at least a skill in cooking or in art.

What are these students doing? Meditating? And those who meditate the best receive double points for not fidgeting or whatever? It'd explain the "Insight" requirement, but that doesn't seem befitting of Merit at all.

I find it hard to believe that a prestigious school such as Academagia even possesses such a thing as "pity", but how else would zero-skill small-attribute students gain ANY sort of Merit just for trying?

I need help.

What is Compete?

“Just because you’ve been to some classes doesn’t mean you know all there is to know.  For example, did you know you can compete for Merit from a Professor?”

Oan smiles.  “It’s pretty easy, actually.  You simply Compete with one of your fellow students while in a class.  Depending on the subject and your knowledge of it when compared to your fellow student’s, you might win a bit of Merit for your College from the Professor.  You don’t lose anything if you lose the competition, but it can take a few hours to really make a case, and it can be frustrating if it doesn't go your way.”

That's what Oan has to say about it. 'Course mechanically speaking that explanation fits about as well as a square peg in a round hole, but...

Ahhh. That makes sense. I always glazed over a bit at Oan's speech, I suppose paying attention would have been more wise, eheh. Thank you very much, Metis!

Archived