Black Chicken Studios Forums

How goes the Progress for Y2?

Rhialto

Since we know main writing is done.. (barring continuous editing)

And we know that Y2 has existed in a playable state for years, now.

I am suspecting that most of the remaining work revolves around making sure all the massive tables of information reference each other properly. And possibly optimizing said tables since they are the heart of the game and it would be just a bit annoying to have to wait for all those obscene files to load. There's bound to be other things, but that would take the longest for a small team to accomplish. Especially a small team working on it as a hobby.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, freespace2dotcom said:

Since we know main writing is done.. (barring continuous editing)

And we know that Y2 has existed in a playable state for years, now.

I am suspecting that most of the remaining work revolves around making sure all the massive tables of information reference each other properly. And possibly optimizing said tables since they are the heart of the game and it would be just a bit annoying to have to wait for all those obscene files to load. There's bound to be other things, but that would take the longest for a small team to accomplish. Especially a small team working on it as a hobby.

@Legate of Mineta: Is this true?

Years back there where the talk of some people who want to merged Y1 & Y2 and that make me wonder: How feasible would a Y1 & Y2 combo mod using the Y2 mod tools? I kind of suspect anyone who try to do something like this might hit some limits of the DB or base engine because of the size. (Not to talk about licence issue and that such a project without some automation probably take years)

I personal think the biggest problem for a combined Y1 & 2 mod, if there is no issue on the size, is probably to switch the class between Y1 and Y2 for all students.

For the general rules one probably could settle with the ones used in Y2 because they should allow to start skills at zero as well.

Also I think any problems with the start date / end date function probably means the end of such a project as well. 

Hoof, color me surprised. Decided to check back in and suddenly I see the forums being swamped by Ship Girls! Glad to see that Academagia still exists somewhat. So the writing is finished, and the game exists but only in a quantum sense?

3 hours ago, Legate of Mineta said:

If you finished her Adventure you'll see in her in Y2- I don't know how things will be handled, though, if you switched her. Maybe you'll only see your current Familiar.

@Legate of Mineta: Are there any plans to write content for Mr. Pebbles's rejoining the PC even if the PC during Y1 used the exchange familiar or Familiar's Gift in order to get rid of Mr. Pebbles?

• 2 weeks later...