Black Chicken Studios Forums

Voting for the Fleet Exercise

Legate of Mineta

Captains, the Naval War College is interested in what you would like to see in two Fleets of 7, battling it out.

The only two rules are:

1) Your choices must be among the revealed Belles.

2) You must select 1 Carrier and 1 Submarine in each Fleet.

...bonus points if you explain why you would like these 14.

The War College will tabulate all the votes and you will see the results when the Battle Engine completes integration!

Pacific war fleets! 

Nagato, Hiryu, Fubuki, Nenohi, Kumano, Aoba, I-8

vs.

Lexington, Mississippi, Swayback maru, Nawlins, Boise, Mahan, and Nautilus! 

Mostly because this seems like an air battles test example, which means using the two nations who did everything they could to perfect and focus on carriers and their development. I would have done full Battle of Midway fleets, but I'm left at something of a lack of revealed belles to work with!

P.S. regarding the most recent update: Option 2! Lovely ladies and hangovers! I love every passing update which cements my need to have a hardworking communist maid in my flag position!

I like your idea on having those two air nations duke it out, but I believe that I want to see a little more diversity in the fleets after all.

So let's have it go something like this:
Hiryu, Nagato, Pola, Canarias, Kirov, Diether Von Roeder, U-29
VS
Lexington, Goeben, Swayback Maru, DeRuyter, Belfast, Wicher, Surcouf

And regarding the options, Option 1!  My respect for seniority outweighs my sarcasm in this instance.

Fleet 1: Rawalpindi, PK, Lexington, Bulldog, Surcouf, Wicher, Exeter

Fleet 2: Scharnhorst, Hiryuu, Axum, Canarias, Duca D'Aosta, Goeben, Leningrad

Diversity, Axis v Allies, and the most important thing of all, Rawalpindi v Scharnhorst round 2

Regarding the choices, I choose option 1

I liked the update, however I did feel disappointed overall. I've not been vocal about it but I'm still surprised that HMS Warspite hasn't made any appearance, be it as a [redacted] ship or not. She'd be I think the second oldest there, slightly younger than Goeben, and has the most honors and awards of any ship in the Royal Navy

no real reason behind this

VS

HMS Ark Royal. why because she is my favourite.                                                                  USS Lexington (CV-2) fried chicken

R.N. Axum.  coffee                                                                                                                   Shch-205 Nerpa. her singing voice
Adua-Class Submarine                                                                                                           V-bis 2-class submarine

Gneisenau.  legs                                                                                                                     USS Mississippi (BB-41) a classy lady with a sense
Scharnhorst-Class Battleship                                                                                                 New Mexico-Class Battleship. of humour

Algérie . spiced tea                                                                                                                 Profitern i think she could build me power armour
Algérie-Class Heavy Cruiser                                                                                                    Svetlana-Class Light Cruiser

La Motte-Picquet.  well she is a warship you can't blame me for being excited                        USS Boise (CL-47) 15 150mm guns
Duguay-Trouin Class Light Cruiser                                                                                           Brooklyn-Class Light Cruiser

Camicia Nera. i don't know why but she is cool                                                                        Leningrad becase Mahan
Soldati-Class Destroyer

Velasco i like her energy                                                                                                           USS Mahan (DD-364) because leningrad
Alsedo-Class Destroyer

4 hours ago, Fifrein said:

Pacific war fleets! 

Nagato, Hiryu, Fubuki, Nenohi, Kumano, Aoba, I-8

vs.

Lexington, Mississippi, Swayback maru, Nawlins, Boise, Mahan, and Nautilus! 

Mostly because this seems like an air battles test example, which means using the two nations who did everything they could to perfect and focus on carriers and their development. I would have done full Battle of Midway fleets, but I'm left at something of a lack of revealed belles to work with!

P.S. regarding the most recent update: Option 2! Lovely ladies and hangovers! I love every passing update which cements my need to have a hardworking communist maid in my flag position!

I agree with everything except I vote for Option 2

I realize the current idea is to likely go with one particular person's fleet idea, but can I propose another way of doing this?

Everyone who wants to vote lists 14 separate ships they'd like to see.

The top carrier vote getter goes on Team A.  The second highest goes on Team B.

The top sub vote getter goes on Team B.  The second highest goes on Team A.

Team A gets the highest voted ship.  Team B the second highest.  Team A the third highest and so on to 10 total ships, skipping over the carrier and sub selected above.

BCS can go ahead and double the vote for whoever makes the effort to give a really good justification.

Just a thought...

1 hour ago, Legate of Mineta said:

DYM;

Although whole Fleets are fun from a story perspective, I think we would be just as happy to do it this way, too, if there isn't any dissent?

I have none. Seems more Democratic than an all or nothing approach.

What?  But then I couldn't propose something completely different (and consistent), like:

Team Underdog:          versus          Team Oops:

Béarn                                                Arc Royal

Nerpa                                                Lebercht Maass

U-29                                                  Maillé-Brézé     

HMS Salmon                                     USS Henley

USS Nautilus                                     ORP Wicher

1-8                                                     Rawalpindi                                              

Axum                                                 Surcouf

Spoiler

:P

Oh, and Choice #1 please.

My answer to the question is Option 3

As far as the fleet - I'm partial to aboriginals and non-Europeans:

Axum (African)
I-8 (Japanese)
Hiryu (Japanese)
Chiyoda (she's a carrier, right? :-) )
New Orleans (African American)
Rawalpindi (subcontinental Indian)
Saguenay (NA aboriginal)
Nubian (African)
Yavuz (adopted by the Orient)
Arizona (NA aboriginal)
Kommuna (Russia is both European and Asian)
Kongou (adopted by the Orient)
Graf Spee (was in Latin waters when she went down)
Pola (the history of her namesake has Oriental connections)

This is assuming the alternate mechanism I proposed is used.

Team America or The A Team vs. International team 

Team America

USS Lexington, USS Nautilus, USS Arizona, USS Salt Lake City, USS HenleyUSS Boise, USS Stewart

International team

Béarn, RN Axum , Parizhskaya Kommuna, Admiral Graf Spee, ORP Wicher, Chiyoda,  HMCS Saguenay

A friendly match between the team from America versus the team gathered from various countries. An epic air-sea battle with sudden twists and turns ^^

Żubrówka is one of the queens of Polish spirits :D

Option 2

First things first. Every good Manöver needs a name. Since no one spoke out against "Löchrige Luftmatratze" (Manoeuvre LL if you like) when I proposed it on discord, I will use it. There is actually a german legal assumption that silence means approval. 

Now before I forget it over the overcomplicated fuzz I put in a spoiler to not to bore anyone, I will vote on the story option.

Option 3 is riiiight out the window. Why should I bring out a toast to a men who technically violated international law in Greece and Turkey on so many levels I will spare you all the details. Also he was on the other side of the trenches.

Option 1 is... boring? Why... ah come on. Totally uninspidered. 

Option 2 it is. And I don't feel bad about it. I actually totally like it, because it's the truth.

And did someone say Żubrówka? All I hear is Grasovka @Shirogane(pulls out a bottle, glasses and the music)

What I actually don't get is Goeben drinking Ayran instead of Raki. Is she on duty?

And now excuse me while I drink and calculate my fleet!

Spoiler

Okay, so I started the sophisticated task of forming two fleets for the manoeuvre “Löchrige Luftmatratze”.

For starters I took my favourite list. It gives me the ten Walküren I like most which has two major advantages. They're all Walküren I really like and I just need to fill in the “gaps”. Also it is a valid list if it is decided to make it a ship based vote, not a fleet based one.

So I miss one carrier. I also like Ark Royal very much and I got a “Wunderwaffe”.... data on how popular certain Walküren are.... and the most liked carrier of all is: Ark Royal! So I choose Ark Royal.

Now on to the two U-Boote. Just to give Fif a reason to cheer the other side and my Wunderwaffe tells me she's very much the most liked U-Boot I choose Nerpa. And I like her. For reasons Fif hates her.

Now the second U-Boot is deeper hidden in my mind. Please follow me in these depths. My obvious first choice is my most liked, purple haired U-Bootwalküre U-29. But a big problem. I like her so much I don't want to pull her away from her important searches for answers. Also I'm sure it would be unfair to the opposing fleet. Next comes to mind Surcouf.... but for similar reasons I don't like her exposed like that. She's probably on the run (again) and exposing her in an manoeuvre, it's even an annoucend one, is too risky. So I got no preference for the remainin 4.... but the Wunderwaffe strikes again! Axum is actually the third most liked U-Boot of them all. So why not. Axum is on the list. A soviet/italian pairing. Goes completely against intuition, but that's precisely the reason why it sounds like fun.

Sooo. One ship missing. Two Schlachtschiffe, the ones I like the most by far. Check!

Two Flugzeugträger, also my favourites. Check!

Two U-Boote, decided in a very.... interesting way. Check!

Hm, four Kreuzer and three Zerstörer..... hm one Zerstörer is missing, if I want at least at first glance even teams. And hey, the french missing completely! I ponder my options: LT, MB or Verdun. LT is right out, because I can't relate to her as well as to the cute Maille-Breze and the serious Verdun..... but I can't decide between those two either.... so I write up the teams.

One centered around Scharnhorst and one around Gneisenau. Hm... Ark Royal seems to be a type working well with Gneisenau. So I put her there. Hiriyu goes to Scharnhorst. I wonder if that makes sense. Hm, I don't want anyone to hate the Gneis team, so I put Nerpa with Scharnhorst, since she invokes strong emotions too with other people. Leaves Axum to Scharnhorst. And you know who would reeeally well fit in Gneisenaus team? D'Aosta. I think they will like each other. So D'Aosta goes there. I look at my fleets so far and think. Wait a minute. There's a pattern: What if I choose the more level headed ones for Gneis and the others..... more impulsive for Scharnhorst. Yes. Very good. So Kirov, New Orleans (both obvious me thinks) and Espero (can't keep her fingers to herself) with Scharnhorst. And De Ruyter, who's chill, serious and a good cook, and Hans Lüdemann, also serious and level headed with Gneisenau. Also if you combine the sarcasm of Hannah with the humour of Ark you will get perfection.

So one last task... fitting that french Zerstörer into the fleet. And Leberecht Maass. She's careful but then very tipsy... So if I choose Maille-Breze who fits good with the Scharnhorst bunch, she'll go to Gneis. If I choose the more serious Verdun, which fits good into the Gneis squad, she'll go to Scharn. .... a surprising big amount of checking and thinking I notice if I put Lebi with Gneis, there will be two German Zerstörer. I don't like the idea. I like it better to have one on each side. So I choose Verdun and be done.

The only regret I have is I couldn't field more Walküren. Because there sure are a bunch more I'd like to see in action.

To check out all the Walküren check out Shiroganes awesome list.

So here's my proposal for the manoeuvre LL:

Team A(gitated)

Scharnhorst; Hiriyu; Nerpa; Kirov; New Orleans; Espero; Leberecht Maass

Team B(alanced)

Gneisenau; Ark Royal; Axum; De Ruyter; D'Aosta; Hans Lüdemann; Verdun

3 hours ago, Käpt'n Korky said:

What I actually don't get is Goeben drinking Ayran instead of Raki. Is she on duty?

In 1939 Turkey had been a republic for almost 20 years but was still essentially Muslim in character.  Muslims, at least those who submit fully to Allah, are forbidden alcohol.  It may be that the Grande Dame abstains out of respect to her adoptive country.  A great sacrifice for a German, I know, but the Turks give her great respect in return.

As I sit here I am reminded of the Janissaries.  The original expert warriors and administrators, not the decadent buffoons they had become by the end of the Ottoman Empire.  Christian children who were converted and treated as noble slaves.  I wonder how much that mold reflects Goeben?

Archived