Black Chicken Studios Forums

What is up with Extensively Consult with the Sphinx?

Grue

Yep, I'm not trying to improve a maxed out skill level (I double check that before I confirm the turn just to make sure I didn't mis-click;)).

[fires up other 'puter to check] And not seeing anything under the Emotions/Abilities/Actions tab (greyed out or otherwise) that could be adding an affliction modifier.  Character Study is at 13 as a side note and I'm well past using C&R of course.

The only thing on that list that applies a mod to CoF is Master's Mark...which if CoF is checked first before any other roll it doesn't seem to work as the only time I fail a Master spell is when I load too many phemes in while dominating willy nilly (between Adventure, Compete, or Train your company, I generally keep 3 students under control since there's always something to do....except Antonio who doesn't have the Adventure action...and iirc may not even have Compete)

IIRC CoF is checked before anything else, so the Master's Mark should prevent those shenanigans. That it's bugged doesn't come as a surprise, though. CoF against Mastery type spells only comes up once otherwise, and as a spell that the player is never going to have a reason to cast, so go figure.

Antonio not having Adventure is because NPC students don't automatically start with 1 rank in every School Survival (sub)skill, since the action is technically unlocked by Curiosity 1. He has AI_Aces_up_the_Sleeve, but that doesn't hand out the basic actions.

33 minutes ago, Metis said:

IIRC CoF is checked before anything else, so the Master's Mark should prevent those shenanigans. That it's bugged doesn't come as a surprise, though. CoF against Mastery type spells only comes up once otherwise, and as a spell that the player is never going to have a reason to cast, so go figure.

Antonio not having Adventure is because NPC students don't automatically start with 1 rank in every School Survival (sub)skill, since the action is technically unlocked by Curiosity 1. He has AI_Aces_up_the_Sleeve, but that doesn't hand out the basic actions.

Heh...I totally overlooked that Adventure was tied to a skill level.  Might have to put the lazy bum to work after training him.

So is Master's Mark bugged or does CoF work some other way (to be honest I thought that stuff should be in one formula following the order of operation...and I just prefer not to write letters to mind control npcs).  And of course any idea why Judge the Instructor's Taste would fail on this character as well (at those score levels)?

Sounds to me like the Mark is bugged. Or maybe your savefile, I honestly couldn't say.

For JtIT, I've no idea. It has no hidden failure chance that I know of, no cooldown, nothing. At this point my only advice would be to Rest, since practically all afflictions that don't last a given amount of time last until you Rest, and see if that clears the inexplicable failures.

Nah...I've had Master's Mark in more than a few games and it's never hindered the Master spell in any of them that I could tell (though in all I never got the Mark until mid to late game when the character was a lot more developed statistically).

Hrum.

I tried resting to see if that cleared a hidden affliction (for both Extensively Consult and Judge the Instructor's Taste) and no dice there.

I loaded a save from all the way pack in Pramidi (I keep the holiday saves so The Festival of Pixies) and Judge the Instructor's Taste popped twice no problem.

Weird and frustrating.  If it was a corrupt save the ability probably shouldn't pop at all (for either JtIT or Consult) you would think, but it does...just at a very low percentage (like 10% or the time).

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, played a little bit more and now Extensively Consult seems to be working at normal odds. 

I pulled down a detention and tried to use Extensively Consult the day after getting reprimanded and still couldn't get it to pop at reasonable odds.  So I gave up on it for about a week, and then tried again....and I was a bit surprised that it started to work as intended.  I'm not sure why though.  The character's intelligence stat went up from 23 to about 27-28 and I bolstered Dialectic around 19 to about 22 (or higher...now floating at 28 via carried phemes).  I at least added another point of Glory as well (probably 2 points without double checking) before I tried again.

Or it could be all those Black Shumen chickens I offered up in sacrifice (and made a hell of a mess behind the shed).;)

In any case the ability seems to be working as normal now and I've used it about ten days in a row with no big odds hiccup.  It's still a mystery to me as to why it works now however...

Archived