Black Chicken Studios Forums

Hi there. I recently noticed that I know of no famous female sailor, let alone captain. So I surfed around the internet and to my disappointment I found no German female who ever took part in a military naval operation in or for Germany. Or Austria for that matter. I did find four Dutch females and one Swedish female in the respective navies. All the Dutch ladies had to pose as men. Also the Netherlands seem to have an interesting longstanding “tradition” of women taking up arms, posing as men, in the Navy or the Army.

So I decided to start this thread anyways, because maybe some of you numerous anglo-american folks, active here in the forum or some other member from another cultural background can weigh in with an interesting story. I think about women as an active part of naval service aboard ships is very little written in general, but I’m curious. Since we have a resident Dutch forum member, and since I can’t find any good rich source about the Dutch sailorettes I will not comment on them. However, I will give you a brief summary of the story of

Dorothea Maria Theslöff, née Lösch – Captain of the Swedish Navy?

Honestly I was disappointed when I saw the name. The name could also be a perfectly German name. But the lady I’m talking about here was born in Stockholm, died in Stockholm and served the Swedish king.

Dorothea Lösch was born somewhen in 1730 in Stockholm, Sweden, as the daughter of a goldsmith. She later married the Swedish captain Marten Johann Theslöff in 1756 and had 11 children with him. She also studied medicine and published a medical book about small pocks in 1765. So far, so provable. Now according to unproven story she took part on the Swedish ship Armida in the second battle of Svensksund on the 9-10 July 1790. The battle was a big success for the Swedes, but it was bitterly fought and is to this day the biggest naval battle fought in the Baltic sea. 275 Swedish ships fought against roughly the same number of Russian ships in the gulf of Finland. Her ship the Armida faced a problem mid-battle: All officers had been reassigned to other ships, killed or were severely wounded. Subsequently, Dorothea Theslöff took command of the ship and did apparently a fine job. I couldn’t find if she was assigned there as medical staff or accompanied her husband or both. After the battle the King Gustav III. of Sweden awarded her the privilege to hold the rank of Kapten (captain) of the Swedish fleet. She lived most of her life in Finland but died in Stockholm February 2nd 1799. The problem is, the written privilege which proved her to be kapten is lost today. The last report of it dates back to 1864. So it could only be scuttlebutt.

Wow cool, so there are quite a few. Bummer you didn't explicate them a bit further.

20 hours ago, von_Lipstig said:
  Hide contents

$define "sailors"

Hide contents

[...]

/thread <_<

Okay let me try it this way:

Spoiler

*** I try to reach von_Lipstig in a way he/she/it might understand to get further explanation
ping > @von_Lipstig

data: sailors = OD_sailors,
        sailor   = where sailors = true,
         user    = von_Lipstig.
*** Further additions to the definitions
set for sailors:
      civilian                    = true,
      pirates                    = true,
      fleet command       = true,
      warship command = true,
      female crew           = true.

*** I try to access the dataset under sailor definition on the von_Lipstig DB/AI frame
check for sailors = true.
If true loop sailor in sailors,
open datasheet 1 to n.

*** Try to get output from the von_Lipstig DB/AI data
write datasheet 1 to n in most convenient autoformat.
Endloop.

*** Testing some theories on the von_Lipstig entity
check: user = AI,
           user = Bot,
           user = Human resource,
           user = sentient,
           user = spherical existence.
write checkresult.

*** And the final touch
Execute user = popcorn.

Excuse my crude code everyone. I'm sorry.

Spoiler

>crude code

10 FOR I=1 TO X
20 SCREAM
30 NEXT I

On 4/27/2018 at 2:19 PM, Käpt'n Korky said:

Hi there. I recently noticed that I know of no famous female sailor, let alone captain. So I surfed around the internet and to my disappointment I found no German female who ever took part in a military naval operation in or for Germany. Or Austria for that matter. I did find four Dutch females and one Swedish female in the respective navies. All the Dutch ladies had to pose as men. Also the Netherlands seem to have an interesting longstanding “tradition” of women taking up arms, posing as men, in the Navy or the Army.

hence clarification

Spoiler

fleet commanders

-Artemisia I

-Cleopatra

-Kapetanissa

-Grace Hopper

pirates

-Awilda of Gotland

-Jeanne de Belleville

-Anne Bonny&Mary Read

-ladies Killigrew

-Ching Shih

-Madame Wong

crewmen

-masquerading as men here and there, at least 3 documented in ~1789 in sweden fleet

-18xx+ for noncombat service

-~1931 for combat service

1st female captain

fully female crew

-1942-44, minesweeper No.611

and shipload other stuff like "captain's wife(s) wth shipboard duties", "marines", "shipbuilders", "divers" etc <_<

Archived