Black Chicken Studios Forums

The Control Mechanic

Cyx

I have some questions about the control mechanic. Specifically, I have Formally Invited some of my characters friends to cast some spells, and I want them to do so at the Vernalicium. Is there a way to do that, or are all the settings just random?

10 hours ago, isadorbg said:

Frankly the fact that you can actually do adventures with npc and get all the benefits for your character is probably not something that was intended and will probably get fixed in the next decades.

I consider it possession or like the old D&D spell Magic Jar.  There's not much worthwhile in the entire Master pillar that I've noticed beyond the Master spell (which takes a few hoops to jump through to get), but considering how limited your Control is (under any controlling type action), that generally it's useful for only three things....forcing a student to Compete, to Train Your Company (or the spell that does the same thing that I can't remember the name of now), or for the Adventure action.  I wouldn't mind seeing an honest to goodness Possession spell or a lot more functionality for the Control menu so you can specify what you want them to do (and to who), but as is, to kick out the Adventure leg of the Master spell really makes the effort (and the school) questionable considering the other options.

Just for the record, for those budding Mastery mages (or more likely, Calligraphy students): Impart Understanding.

Also, Y2 is supposed to do something with that whole "lack of fine control" aspect of Mastery, IIRC, but it's also supposed to step up it's game about the whole "studying/practising a forbidden school of magic" aspect that Y1 kind of completely dropped the ball on.

After looking at the description of the Adventure action again, it starts with, "Adventuring allows you to embark upon a dangerous task with your Clique...."

So at this point I don't even view the use of Master to 'adventure by proxy' as a sort of possession.  Just a means to send a student on an adventure that by default uses the 'sacrifice' option to call on the PC student (with no max limit) to complete any given task as needed during a stage.

Archived