Black Chicken Studios Forums

KS Update 102: U-29, Voykov, and the Battle Engine!

Fifrein

• Fifrein changed the title to KS Update 102: U-29, Voykov, and the Battle Engine!

Fantastic that the battle engine is done!  Any word on whether we'll get a beta vote soon, Legate?

As for the vote, count me for number 1.  I am rather curious about those stories!

Spoiler

> Sankt Walpurgisnacht

>> Saint

>> Hexennacht

:D

>We plan on several cycles of testing and feedback, and then we'll button it up and call it Done until Beta feedback. That's the same time we'll share with you the first of the Fleet Problems.

Any actual dates planned?

Spoiler

>Voykov: A majority of my crew is Slavic in origin. And many of them have brought with them certain superstitions… which they’ve been using to explain our recent unlucky events.

in '39?

> I know these tales well

> part frog, part old man.

> She can appear as a one-eyed goblin or an old woman dressed in black.

> Legends depict the Rusalki as mermaids

> This old wizard dwells in an ancient castle

> mythical island of Buyan

*>_<*

> female sailor

in '39???

*votes to practice tradition(c) on it FTGJ*

Option one,

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle 

And I can't think of a better Belle to enjoy such an investigation with than U-29. We have a strange series of supernatural circumstances and sailor superstitions made flesh regularly walk the decks of our warships. If such things are true, what else might be that we have previously discarded? Besides. The Morgana almost certainly have Naval bases somewhere. Whether it's in the Azores or Avalon doesn't really matter when it comes down to the brass tacks of finding them and killing them.

Excellent news about the battle engine. Not quite the level of fanfare and celebration Legate's "hint" had me expecting, but fantastic all the same. Here's hoping for some gameplay footage in the immediate future.

Recorded!

Ninja - Beta votes will happen once all the pieces of the game have been transformed and we are at the same or similar state of testing as we were last year. That segues neatly into...

v_L - Internally we have dates, but at this point we want to be sure before we show. I don't think it will be overly long, but we'll see what, if anything, is uncovered. Most recently we discovered a neat little bug where ships without Battery 1 couldn't be targeted by dive bombers. ;)

TH - My hint, alas, did not survive contact with the enemy. But the fanfare is only delayed. I can't say for how long. ;)

option 1 for me, nice to see talk about the beta again. Now for the update it self first i want pet Voykov on the head for some reason, and i did not know that Leningrad wanted to fight the baba yaga or why? but nice to know any way. finally wil we be able to use a Morganas vanity against them in game and Morgana islands really

First things first: Option 2 for me.
Option 1 and 3 will or can happen in other ways. But if we don't choose 2 we will never know.

23 hours ago, von_Lipstig said:
  Hide contents

> Sankt Walpurgisnacht

>> Saint

>> Hexennacht

:D

[...]

Hide contents

>Voykov: A majority of my crew is Slavic in origin. And many of them have brought with them certain superstitions… which they’ve been using to explain our recent unlucky events.

in '39?

> I know these tales well

> part frog, part old man.

> She can appear as a one-eyed goblin or an old woman dressed in black.

> Legends depict the Rusalki as mermaids

> This old wizard dwells in an ancient castle

> mythical island of Buyan

*>_<*

> female sailor

in '39???

[...]

First off, apologies to bother you again. However your posts are always very interesting and conversations with you very productive. But I notice a lack of popcorn lately.....
Sancta Walburga is indeed a catholic saint. More about it in my nagging spoiler.

Well '39 has 4 months left at game start. Slavic states at shores close to soviet harbours are: Soviet republic of Russia, Soviet republic of the Ukraine, Bulgaria, Poland.... kinda. Polish communists I'd guess? Shiro would be suited to scrutinise this specific topic. In addition Italy occupies the adriatic coast of the local slowenes, so they can have such a ship as well. *looks at Pola*

Since you're kind of our russian forum tale, I'm genuinely happy to see you happy.... or do I misread that emoji?

Times are already desperate for the CCCP. They have the emergency already in '39, so why not? I'd argue Soviet ships are the most likely to start recruiting female sailors.

23 hours ago, Legate of Mineta said:

Recorded!

Ninja - Beta votes will happen once all the pieces of the game have been transformed and we are at the same or similar state of testing as we were last year. That segues neatly into...

v_L - Internally we have dates, but at this point we want to be sure before we show. I don't think it will be overly long, but we'll see what, if anything, is uncovered. Most recently we discovered a neat little bug where ships without Battery 1 couldn't be targeted by dive bombers. ;)

TH - My hint, alas, did not survive contact with the enemy. But the fanfare is only delayed. I can't say for how long. ;)

"BCS" commented in the KS comments on April 13 among other things: The Team is working on completing the integration of the Battle Engine, and that’s planned to be the next Gameplay Update the Team will hold. We want to show what that is, prior any feedback from Beta. and After that will come the work to integrate into the new backend the rest of the game- Story, Crafting and the like. And then, the Beta. We’ll take it step by step, so we’re sure of what we’re delivering at each point, but at least Gameplay Updates will probably be more frequent since those sections are significantly less complex. 

But in the actual update it changed to this: After completing the Battle Engine, the various other pieces of the meta game will be reassembled with the new backend. Apart from Research/Production, we don't expect these to be significant in complexity or time, and intend on showing each as they are completed. - I guess this overrides the April 13 comment bits cited above? Because the battle engine is still not done. 

I suggest you show something gameplay related within a fortnight or, if I read the air in some parts of the community correctly, a mutiny will happen. And if it's only screenshots. The CA thirsts for blo... I mean glimpses of gameplay. 

And why do you update a [redacted] piece of information? I honestly don't get it.

An implication of this is that certain aircraft, which could have dual roles, now appear in two different variants. - I hope you don't have to acquire them separately.

That's the same time we'll share with you the first of the Fleet Problems. - New Update format? Can you explain it a bit, most honourable Legate?

The solutions are, of course, explosive. - Sun Zu teaches to use the power of fire (including explosions) as frequent as possible.
---

So much for the development update on to the Walküren at hand and what they talk about.

Voykov feeling "akin to happy" seeing the captain.... generalised it gives you a sense of the gravity of the impact the right captain has on any Walküre emotionally. 

I'm already happy with the performance of U-29. And this update made me even happier.

U-29: You are wondering why I am aboard, of course.  - No, I just wonder what mysteries you're after this time.

I have trouble with this part of the text:
U-29: I see someone is as talkative as ever.
Captain: I wouldn’t give a Belle grief aboard her own ship.
U-29: You constantly give Belles grief aboard their own ships.

- Why grief? I can't seem to find a meaning of grief which makes sense in my mind here. And yes I checked not only three english-german dictionaries, but the Oxford Dictionary online as well. So I'd be thankful if someone could help me out here.

Voykov: It should be safe for us to speak here. Kapitan, it’s good that you’re here as well. My apologies for not discussing this matter with you earlier. I did not wish to concern you. - Now a non-soviet or non-german or a non-well-informed-italian captain might wonder for a moment why a German Walküre gets summoned by a Soviet Walküre. But don't worry it's fine. It's pretty historically accurate in fact for '39, even if a Sherlock Holmes like HMS exists ingame. I'd argue.

Voykov: A majority of my crew is Slavic in origin. And many of them have brought with them certain superstitions… which they’ve been using to explain our recent unlucky events. - Makes me wonder if "superstition" might be a crew stat ingame, affecting morale.

U-29: I prefer scrutineer of the supernatural. - Opportunity for awesome german jobtitle missed, I'd say. Schade.

Captain: Oh, good grief. - Is it you Charlie Brown? Ah, wait. Wasn't around until '47.

Voykov: The second creature is known as Likho. She can appear as a one-eyed goblin or an old woman dressed in black. She’s known for spreading misfortune wherever she goes.

Voykov: Some of my crew swears they’ve seen a Likho-like figure with their own eyes, floating through the night these last few weeks, moaning over her wretched misfortunes.
U-29: Kapitän?
Captain: Yes, U-29?
U-29: Did you put Leberecht Maass back on nightwatch?
Captain: … Maaaybe.
Voykov: … 

U-29: … 
- I laughed very hard here. But on second thought it insults Lebi so much it infuriates me. Overthinking it further so this Duo requires Lebi and Leningrad as well? Because how else could you know that stuff with Baba Yaga about Leningrad and are able to put Lebi on nightwatch. And also have acquired a Walküre who was at one point disguised as a Morgana (when recruiting her or under your command). Because the captain has experience of that kind according to the Rusalki segment (yay, a new alternative name for Morganas...well i noticed it for the first time now). Furthermore the name "Morgana" has to be in use long enough for the Nixen to notice, like and adopt it. 
And "Vanity" sounds like a possible Nixe to me. ^^"

Voykov: I want to believe that. I do. But I feel uneasy. I can't explain it well.  - Option 4: I recommend more frequent drills and physical labour. 

This update convinced me for U-29 to be my Seelenschiff. (The german "Seelentier" translates into spirit animal iirc. In this case I use it with ship, not animal)

I also enjoyed to learn a bit more slavic myths since I only knew about Baba Yaga and Koschtschei*, the deadless. 

Okay, sooo.... sailor going over board = hunted a seagull... or is so embarrased she made up something (less) stupid. 
And the insomnia was probably because Lebi was part of the nightwatch, which indeed would raise the alarm level for all the other night watches and could lead to insomnia for some worry-heads.
Buuut..... why did the food spoil early? A captain should have a serious talk with his cook.

They waste precious life in pursuit of transitory pleasure, but, sadly, they do not understand the deeper self-deception that prevents this abnegation from becoming praiseworthy. - What makes Voykov so sure about it?

*German transscription
Talking about German transscriptions.....(nagging hides here):

Spoiler

Sankt Walpurgisnacht..... no one I've ever come accross says this in Germany. In fact no one I asked (10 people, one german-romanian) knew about Walpurga being a catholic saint. I myself got that by chance from the english wikipedia. But they all knew about the Walpurgisnacht. To be fair I asked no catholic monk, nun or priest. Oh and 10/10 related it only to witches. 3/10 knew it's also called "Hexensabbat" btw. It's probably the worst case of a backfired attempt to christianise a pagan celebration in Germany. But if any Walküre that is not catholic to the extreme would call it "Sankt Walpurgisnacht" it would be U-29. And your writers knew this, natürlich.

Uplifting, ja? - *sigh* I cringe everytime I read it. She sounds like a tourist to me. Or like.... how do you translate "der kleine Kevin von der Hauptschule Gelsenkirchen" properly? In this context "oder", "nicht wahr" or "stimmt's" would be (more) appropiate. But that's just my opinion... kinda. 

The tale was no Kirov and New Orleans, of course. - I kinda miss the post sentence "natürlich". And yes I know I nagged about it in the Lebi update, natürlich. But... just hug the author. I use it on purpose because of the Lebi update, natürlich. Soooo... no Kirov/Nawlins duo ever? :mellow:

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I do believe my men have returned with their report from Brocken. With any luck, they’ll have managed to bring a few artifacts with them. - No, with any luck they have returned at all. She has more than twice as many men as any Typ II Boot, but she should still be careful to send them into the heart of the Walpurgisnacht. On the other hand as (subordinate) men of the Walküre of the "U-Boot der Rätsel und Geheimnisse" (Mystery sub), they are probably a tiny bit more likely to return than average men. Maybe they even bring back an interesting new crew member (who brings her artifacts). But that's a stretch already. But it would be better and safer than to "borrow" artifacts from subsequently angry witches, yes?

U-29: Next!

Voykov: Excuse me?
U-29: You said rivers.
Voykov: … 
U-29: We’re nowhere near a river. Even if the creature is real, he’s a freshwater creature. There’s no reason for your crew to worry themselves over an old frog man.
Voykov: … I suppose that makes sense.
U-29: Ja.
Captain: Reel it in a little, U-29.

U-29: As I said, 'next'.
- You put this bit in there for a reason. And I totally get it. Believe me I do. Buuuut I'm a German and intend to play the German fleet as a German captain. So I stumble over this piece of fine writing for the same, good reason you put it in there. I replaced the "Reel it in a little, U-29." with "As she said, 'next'!" and ignored U-29's following line in my head. It's always very amazing if a game manages to nuance such texts depending of who or which faction you play, don't you think? It makes replays with different characters so much more enjoyable. But you probably already did it for that reason natürlich, ja?. 

The amount of text in this post is only a testimony of how much I liked it. B)

22 minutes ago, Käpt'n Korky said:

U-29: You constantly give Belles grief aboard their own ships.
- Why grief? I can't seem to find a meaning of grief which makes sense in my mind here. And yes I checked not only three english-german dictionaries, but the Oxford Dictionary online as well. So I'd be thankful if someone could help me out here.

The key here is in the full phrase of "give grief"
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=give grief
Maybe the idiom only appears alongside the entry for "give" in the dictionaries you checked(?)

24 minutes ago, Käpt'n Korky said:

The solutions are, of course, explosive. - Sun Zu teaches to use the power of fire (including explosions) as frequent as possible.

Did Sun Zu then perchance reincarnate as Michael Bay?

Hmm, tough choices this week... I do want to hear more about mythic land masses and potential Morgana bases... And the chance to lure the enemy into a trap should be considered...

But I must know what became of the seagull. 2

Recorded!

KK - much of that I cannot comment on, but I can address two things:

1) Fleet Problems aren't a new form of Update (although...that would be fun)- it's a video series showing the Fleets you've nominated battling one another. At least at start, it will be level 1 vs level 1, which is as close to a 'real world' simulation as can be in the game.

2) I would read that as Battle Engine hasn't completed it's integration yet (although during integration a few new things were added, so it's probably moot!) I don't know myself how long optimization will take, but I can tell you many cheers were given during the internal vote. ;)

Edit: "U-29: I prefer scrutineer of the supernatural. - Opportunity for awesome german jobtitle missed, I'd say. Schade."

...we accept suggestions...;)

Slavic mythology is very rich in demons. Divided into good, bad and having different intentions:

Boginka - in the pre-Christian beliefs of the Slavs, a female demon who is a personification of the forces of nature, hostile to people. The Boginka inhabited swamps, lakes, rivers and the sea. Women who died during childbirth, suicide and murderer of children were to become goddesses. They were imagined as ugly women with saggy breasts, large heads and crooked legs, or as beautiful young girls. The nymphs attacked the obstetricians, changed children, scare the horses at the waterhole and cattle in the field, destroy fishing nets.

Bies - in the pre-Christian beliefs of the Slavs, personification of an unspecified evil spirit, demon of evil. The name bies derives from the Slavonian * bĕsъ, from the pro-European * bhoidh-, meaning 'causing fear, horror.

The devils could penetrate into individual people and direct their actions (hence the term "zbiesiony"), they were also attributed to guarding treasures hidden in the earth. They were in forests, swamps and in deep water. After the Christianization of the Slavdom, the term bies began to be used as a synonym for the concept of the devil.

Utopiec (locally known as topic, flux, utoplec, utoplec, utopek, topek, waserman) - evil and deceitful water demon from Slavic beliefs, often identified with a waterman and confused with a drowning man.  Drowsies were born from the souls of drowned people and aborted fetuses. Similarly to waterers, all water reservoirs inhabited (in some applications including wells and roadside ditches) and drowned bathers and animals crossing the river. In some places they were also responsible for floods of rivers and flooding fields and meadows. The drowners took the form of tall, very thin people with slippery green skin, large head and dark hair. During the new moon, the drowners came out onto the shore. They often lured people to each other, playing with them in riddles. The person who tried to cheat on the riddles was melting immediately.

Option 2

@Käpt'n KorkyIn 39 there were countries Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia, which in 1940 were incorporated by force into the Soviet Union. However, the Polish communists are a long topic.  The fact was the Polish communists in the Second Fleet of the Polish Navy and showed up only on September 17, 1939 trying to rebel, shooting their own brothers and officers or escaped and joined the red greeting the so-called. liberators. However, they did not get any unit, however, they helped to extract sunken individuals and were left to Soviet mariners and navy. A real communist Polish navy was established in July 1945

22 hours ago, Legate of Mineta said:

Recorded!

KK - much of that I cannot comment on, but I can address two things:

1) Fleet Problems aren't a new form of Update (although...that would be fun)- it's a video series showing the Fleets you've nominated battling one another. At least at start, it will be level 1 vs level 1, which is as close to a 'real world' simulation as can be in the game.

2) I would read that as Battle Engine hasn't completed it's integration yet (although during integration a few new things were added, so it's probably moot!) I don't know myself how long optimization will take, but I can tell you many cheers were given during the internal vote. ;)

Edit: "U-29: I prefer scrutineer of the supernatural. - Opportunity for awesome german jobtitle missed, I'd say. Schade."

...we accept suggestions...;)

1) Dang, I honestly forgot about those. Right.... now I look forward to them. Fleet exercises!

scrutineer of the supernatural = "Überprüferin des Übernatürlichen" I like it. You even keep your disrupted alliteration, and it's even with an Umlaut. So lets stick with the one U-29 provides. ;)
superstition disprover becomes "Aberglaubenwiderlegerin" btw. Nice long German stackword.

@Shirogane I didn't mention the baltics, because some don't regard them as slavic. Especially the Estonians. So I stayed clear of them. You write "were left to the Soviet mariners and navy", so they could actually be aboard Soviet ships  in the game I guess. I think giving the Soviet Union random communist units popping up in the harbour would be accurate since at the time communists were fleeing from all over the world to Moscow. And about the communist Polish navy...... yeah I can imagine how that went. The communist German navy was officially formed 9 years later in 1956. 

Archived