Black Chicken Studios Forums

How come several skills don't do what they seem to do or don't appear at all (action/abilities as well?

LaughingHero

For example Grapple for the Crowds says you can earn pims, but whenever I take the action it only tells me I've acquired the Calomanthia gym. But Grapple and Hit the Ring never give you any pims nor a message that you failed the roll. Are they supposed to give you pims if your wrestling skill is high enough?

I also have under the abilities and actions tab the Research Revision Spells skill, but it doesn't appear in my calendar so I can't use it (my Revision is 6). It's not greyed out, so why do I seem to have it but can't use it?

By the way, is the only way how to train archery to use train, library of Mantele or Cast Your Arrows, and there isn't a special firing range ability/location?

To quote the ability description of Grapple for the Crowds:

Any student up for a challenge can wrestle in exhibition matches at the Ring at Calomantia's Gym.  Attentive chirurgeons ensure that you won't walk away maimed, and you may - depending on the level of your Fitness and your skill at Wrestling - walk away with a little bit of money from an appreciative audience and a new understanding of a couple of Skills.  The better you are, the more robust your rewards!  [Rolls are at Fitness/Wrestling v. 8, 11, 18, 25 and 30.  You'll note that none are easy and half of them are just about impossible; this is not an event for entry-level wrestlers.]

So, yes, it does require passing a roll.

On 03/08/2018 at 9:39 PM, Metis said:

To quote the ability description of Grapple for the Crowds:

So, yes, it does require passing a roll.

The problem is that is never says you failed, it just tells you you discovered the gym's location (even if you already have it) and that's it. So it seems bugged. Also since I have Fitness 3 and Wrestling I think was at least 3, I think the first roll should've been passed at least once after a few tries, no?

The game only reports an action as a failure if it didn't do anything, so because Grapple for the Crowds always Informs you of the gym's location it technically never "fails" as far as the game understands it. That's not a bug, as such, but I'll admit it's far from intuitive behaviour.

As for your luck with rolling, I don't know what you'd define as "a few", but Fitness 3/Wrestling 3 gives you roll of 3-9. The odds of passing a v.8 check with that is 2/9, or only ~22%. I'd expect a healthy parade of failure with those odds.

On 11/08/2018 at 9:50 PM, Metis said:

The game only reports an action as a failure if it didn't do anything, so because Grapple for the Crowds always Informs you of the gym's location it technically never "fails" as far as the game understands it. That's not a bug, as such, but I'll admit it's far from intuitive behaviour.

As for your luck with rolling, I don't know what you'd define as "a few", but Fitness 3/Wrestling 3 gives you roll of 3-9. The odds of passing a v.8 check with that is 2/9, or only ~22%. I'd expect a healthy parade of failure with those odds.

True, that isn't high at all, I thought the percentage would be way higher, like 70% or more since I thought you add Fitness and Wrestling (and Familiar's stats, and I think mine's Fitness was 2), so that would be around 3+3+2. The game should tell you how rolls are calculated in the tutorial since it makes it easier to remeber (or colour coding, I'm pretty sure it doesn't tell you, so I thought purple was easier than red, haha!), I saw it in the guide in this subforum but forgot the exact calculation, so I'll go and check it out again.

Archived