Black Chicken Studios Forums

Update 116 Captain's Association Duo: De Ruyter & Kumano!

lazarusdw

1: I know I said this during play, but it bears repeating: I don't think multiple leprosy effects should stack. 
2: Kumano, Japanese guns do not improve rate of fire the closer they are to the Emperor. I'm sorry. I would know. 
3: Is there any particular reason why the pieces representing the captains are a bucket, a sick-looking dog, a rodeo clown in a barrel, and... what is this, a brick? 
4: Here's a list of Belles to with you on drinking game rules for the game. I think this'll work much better if everyone has to take a shot every time a captain is knocked unconscious in a freak hailstorm. 

Might want to touch up that thread title.  Update 16 was my favorite update.  It was in fact the interview with the greatest of Belles.

This was update 116.  As for the update, I'm loving the transparency from the team, and especially the workings about the weather, with some slight hints about how they're making campaigns.  It's nice to see updates like that again.

For the Duo, I've always been a fan of both those belles, and I think with the whole mama De Ruyter thing, people often forget that she's a world-class strategist.  It's very good to see her using her mental strength and showing off that side of her, even if it is for a board game.  It doesn't hurt to see a little more of the ever-so-crafty Kumano.

I'd like to point out a small editing mistake in the voting before I place mine. "Here's a list of belles to with you" is missing a word, presumably work.

For my vote, I'd like to go with option 3.  I'm quite interested in why those specific designs were chosen.  In fact, I have some ideas on that myself, but I'd like to hear it from the belles' lips.

7 minutes ago, Ninjapacman said:

Might want to touch up that thread title.  Update 16 was my favorite update.  It was in fact the interview with the greatest of Belles.

This was update 116.  As for the update, I'm loving the transparency from the team, and especially the workings about the weather, with some slight hints about how they're making campaigns.  It's nice to see updates like that again.

For the Duo, I've always been a fan of both those belles, and I think with the whole mama De Ruyter thing, people often forget that she's a world-class strategist.  It's very good to see her using her mental strength and showing off that side of her, even if it is for a board game.  It doesn't hurt to see a little more of the ever-so-crafty Kumano.

I'd like to point out a small editing mistake in the voting before I place mine. "Here's a list of belles to with you" is missing a word, presumably work.

For my vote, I'd like to go with option 3.  I'm quite interested in why those specific designs were chosen.  In fact, I have some ideas on that myself, but I'd like to hear it from the belles' lips.

sorry about that had some tech problems

I vote 3.

About the weather thing...

Don't bring your carriers to the North Atlantic in winter and expect a lot of air time...

You'd think a Carrier Belle's planes should be able to fly even in very adverse conditions. Or are they no better than regular planes? I'm sure this must have been addressed already somewhere...

19 minutes ago, Dmnt said:

I vote 3.

About the weather thing...

You'd think a Carrier Belle's planes should be able to fly even in very adverse conditions. Or are they no better than regular planes? I'm sure this must have been addressed already somewhere...

While it is true that belles' aircraft can fly further, hit a little harder, maneuver more smoothly, etc.  Combat flying and adverse weather flying are two entirely different things, and carrier operations rely on far more than just the aircraft.  You try launching and prepping aircraft when the deck, nearly 100ft off the waterline,  is completely swamped and slick, with winds upwards of 90kts whipping across it, as you pitch and roll more than 30 degrees.  Flying in those conditions is near impossible for even the best of pilots.  Commercial airliners being routed around storms isn't just for convenience and a smooth flight for the passengers.  Even a belle can't launch her aircraft when they're going to be thrown off the deck if they're brought out of the hangar, or if her bow is aimed 30 degrees down towards the sea once every 5 seconds, and 35 degrees in the air any time it isn't down.

I'll provide you a small example:

Now imagine that in addition to what these people are dealing with, they're flying far lighter aircraft more susceptible to such conditions, their airstrip is significantly shorter, and their airstrip is violently rolling and pitching.

Recorded!

Dmnt;

I'll also add to what Ninja wrote that environmental conditions are very important for a carrier's success in '39. You can't fly in conditions of heavy seas, at night, during most forms of precipitation, and so on.

Technically, some carriers couldn't launch their planes in calm conditions other- not enough wind over the bows, even at maximum speed! Belles doesn't go that far, though. :)

So, if you plan to make good use of carriers, you'll want to study the weather. That said, when conditions are good...aircraft can be very, very, very lethal. You will come to fear Morgana air strikes, if you yourself do not have a large number of fighters...

3 minutes ago, Legate of Mineta said:

Recorded!

Dmnt;

I'll also add to what Ninja wrote that environmental conditions are very important for a carrier's success in '39. You can't fly in conditions of heavy seas, at night, during most forms of precipitation, and so on.

Technically, some carriers couldn't launch their planes in calm conditions other- not enough wind over the bows, even at maximum speed! Belles doesn't go that far, though. :)

So, if you plan to make good use of carriers, you'll want to study the weather. That said, when conditions are good...aircraft can be very, very, very lethal. You will come to fear Morgana air strikes, if you yourself do not have a large number of fighters...

Even ridiculous American levels of fleet structure and anti-aircraft defenses on their tight ship formations accounted for only a small percentage of Japanese aircraft shot down.  Most of the work was done by the Carrier fighters.

Recorded!

And, to add to what Ninja wrote, many of the shipborne aircraft-defeating weapons and technologies are still in the future. Of course, Belles add a lot to their ship's defenses, but you still don't want to be on the receiving end of a strike even with high level Belles. And woe unto you if they penetrate your deck armor and find something explosive...

1 minute ago, Legate of Mineta said:

Recorded!

And, to add to what Ninja wrote, many of the shipborne aircraft-defeating weapons and technologies are still in the future. Of course, Belles add a lot to their ship's defenses, but you still don't want to be on the receiving end of a strike even with high level Belles. And woe unto you if they penetrate your deck armor and find something explosive...

We all know what that looks like, and for those who don't, there's an excellent short film by Dr. Hankinnson on the USS Solace, moored on the other side of Ford Island.

Romance in a time of armored warships. Wonder whatever that could mean. ;)

Option 4 for me. Pass the rum and hoist the black flag. Then get the junior officers, and tell them to hoist the gin pennant... On Welly's flagship's halyard.

14 hours ago, Wellington99 said:

As an English captain, it is my due duty to select the last option. The Royal Navy runs on grog and rum after all

Half a gill of it, mixed with one gill of water per day, to be precise.

Archived