Black Chicken Studios Forums

Voting for Fleet Problem #2

Legate of Mineta

I honestly have no opinion, I'm just having fun with the fleet problems.

I do have one question though, and it's a bit superficial and silly, so pardon me, but why in the world does Arizona have a southern accent? She's got a straight up Texas drawl, I'm from Arizona, we don't talk like that! Haha. Aside from the occasional "y'all" and modernly a fair bit of Spanglish, I'd say we speak "normally" for the West, which is quite different from the South, Yankees and Midlanders. Is there a particular metric by which accents are assigned to Belles beyond strong regional ties?

So, unless you're going to tell me Nenohi volunteered to fill the slot, I'm curious who the submarine was on Arizona's team.

Arizona probably should have mentioned in the Update the location and conditions, which were posted with the Youtube portion:

Sea of Marmara

9:00am

2 Knot wind from the West

Visibility: 8

Low Clouds: 2 Oktas

Fine weather for a shoot-out.

...Sea of Marmara.  And there was a delay because a couple of Belles kept flying Turkish flags.  Hmmmmmm.....

Next is a night battle.  Even discouraging  subs (Boo hiss) there are so many choices...

In no particular order:

Pola

Houston

Surcouf

Scharnhorst

Leningrad

Wicher

Nagato

Perth

Belfast

U-29

Leberecht Maass

Saguenay

Hans Lüdemann

Maillé-Brézé

Legate, I have a question of some concern for the team, although I am uncertain if this is the right place to voice it.

The views for the Videos released on YouTube as of my writing this (in order of release) are:

Voice actress Reel: 49k

Kickstarter trailer: 24k

Boise interview: 11k

Gameplay Integration pass: 4k 

Bulldog interview: 5k

Fleet Problem: 561

With this information, it’s clear that the viewership is declining at the alarming rate of half or more per video.  With a spike of merely 1000 at bulldog, followed by a near 90% decline, I feel this is very concerning.  It’s almost certainly due to (to say it bluntly) the apparent complete lack of progress in the last year.  I’m a very patient person, perfectly happy to wait as long as needed for the release, and dedicated to playing, but I fear that such willing playerbase is reduced now to only the members of the discord server, who number in the dozens rather than thousands.  Suffice to say it’s a completely unsustainable number of players for a game to survive.

I have seen games die due to lack of advertising before, and I wonder whether the team has set aside enough money to adequately bring the game into public eyes, as I think the patronage of the current fan base alone is not capable of spreading the word even close to far enough.  I do hope the team are thinking about this, as I desperately want this game to succeed.

On 11/3/2018 at 12:46 AM, Armnorn said:

Don't have a whole fleet setup but I would love to see Kitakami, Kongou, Nagato, Scharnhorst, Gneisenau and Hood (this is totally not me just trying to get a sample of what the Voice Actors are going to sound like)

On 11/3/2018 at 1:04 AM, Dmnt said:

Canarias and Béarn

I second all of the above and add Exeter and Rawalpindi to the list.

Also I would like to remind my fellow captains that voting italian ships for night battles is committing cruelty to bella Belles in case crew training weighs into the simulation historically correct. The Italians had next to none night battle training iirc.

@Ninjapacman; you asked: "1) Will there be an option for subtitles?  A lot of players might want to know what the non-English-speaking belles are saying. "
My proposal is you learn the languages. Life doesn't provide subtitles.

You should also give it a weeks time with the video, Pac.

You wrote further: " My beloved Spee stands at the top of excellent voices, and so far I think the German fanbase agrees that she was done very well "
Do I have to congratulate on your new citizenship? And if she was done so well, what does she say at 4:55 in the video while firing? I can't make sense of it, no matter how hard I listen.
Can you help me out, oh most honourable @Legate of Mineta?

And one other criticism is regarding the death of a Walküre. In Spees and Kagas case they died, but were denied their last words, because some other Walküre was allowed to talk. And when Nawlins and Kirov died simultaniously, only Kirov got to say her last words. I would like it better if "last words" were enforced by the script.

Since the Marmara scenario didn't show Goeben, I now expect her in a secenario at the Solomon Sea. ;)

this is my current count looks like a big gun showdown

Nagato 4                                              HMS Hood 4

Scharnhorst 4                                      Gneisenau 3

Kongou 3                                              Bulldog 3

Rawalpindi 3                                         Leningrad 3

Camicia Nera  2                                   Canarias 2

Wicher 2                                                U-29 2    

Pola 2                                                   Kitakami 2

D'Aosta 1                                              Exeter 1   

Perth 1                                                  Houston 1 

Salmon 1                                               R.N. Axum 1                                      

Nerpa 1                                                 USS Mississippi 1                            

Algérie 1                                              Béarn 1

Profitern 1                                          La Motte-Picquet  1                                 

Aoba 1                                                 Salt Shaker 1  

Béarn 1                                               Diether Von Roeder 1

Lebrecht Maass 1                            Nevada 1

Swayback Maru 1                            Yavuz 1                                                                                                             

Surcouf 1                                           Belfast 1

Leberecht Maass 1                          Saguenay 1

Hans Lüdemann 1                            Maillé-Brézé 1

Ninja;

Leaving aside the order of those, we're certainly going to need everyone's help. We have resources dedicated to marketing, but we need to be closer to launch to look for that. In the interim, we spread virally with the Kickstarter (thanks Gaijin Goombah!), and we have time now to do the same. For now, bringing people back through monthly gameplay Updates seems the best path, relying on anyone and everyone to broadcast awareness, until we get close enough to set the Date. I think you're right about the doldrums, personally, and the only way to recover from that is...to keep showing gameplay. Or so I think. :)

KK;

"in case crew training weighs into the simulation historically correct."

...yes and no. For the purposes of these tests, prior to the introduction of the Crafting Module, they are in essence equivalent to any other.

"And if she was done so well, what does she say at 4:55 in the video while firing? I can't make sense of it, no matter how hard I listen."

I'm not familiar with her lines, but it appears to be a Hit line? I would guess that from context!

"And one other criticism is regarding the death of a Walküre. In Spees and Kagas case they died, but were denied their last words, because some other Walküre was allowed to talk. And when Nawlins and Kirov died simultaniously, only Kirov got to say her last words. I would like it better if "last words" were enforced by the script."

We've had a few variations, one of which is that all 'death' lines are spoken, no matter how many go down simultaneously. I think we're still back and forth there, but it is suitably dramatic for the time cost...;)

...otherwise, Recorded!

She says "Jetzt!" at 4:55. Or "Now!" for our english speaking friends. Sure the gunsound overshadows it a bit but I think it is still understandable. I like her voice acting so far as a native speaker. But at the same time I don't consider myself to be all that demanding when it comes to voice acting.

1 hour ago, Armnorn said:

She says "Jetzt!" at 4:55. Or "Now!" for our english speaking friends. Sure the gunsound overshadows it a bit but I think it is still understandable. I like her voice acting so far as a native speaker. But at the same time I don't consider myself to be all that demanding when it comes to voice acting.

Wha....how? I just rewatched it after reading your post and now I can understand it perfectly. Before I heard something like "Nimm das!" (I heard "Nims", to be precise). How in Äsirs name..... nevermind. 

Additionally I would like to applaud the voice acting, especially the Graf Spee one, for a job well done. 

I really enjoyed the update, despite my nagging above. And I look forward to the night battle. With flares and lights etc. Maybe we even get to see a new Walküre again. :3

For me having stereotypical silhouettes of the ships helps me to quicker recognize and organize unfamiliar ships. And then those X's could always stay in the same place and also help me with localizing damage, if I missed the text popping up. 

I still have some questions. Explicitly not nagging. I really don't get it.
1. Why is there still a dogfight after Kaga is sunk?
2. What do the little pennants with the roman numerals on the side represent?
3. Water in the portrait means flooding, fire means, well fire, but what does a partially broken glass mean?
4. Why did Nautilus surface?
5. Why did Fubukis fire still grow after her death?

KK;

1) The aircraft are all launched (including the bombers) before combat- so even when the carriers are sunk, their planes can still fight it out.

As an example, in a recent test, Hiryu was bombed and torpedoed in the first Round- but her bombing group (from beyond the grave) was able to strike her enemies. Art imitates life. :)

On the other hand, if you bring a carrier in combat range in a condition of surprise, she won't have anything up except her CAP.

2) The Division the Belle is in. Division determines what the Belles will attempt to do, Round by Round. As an example, you'll notice Arizona's Division barely advances- that's due to her Command. She likes hammering away at a certain Range.

3) It's just a general look for damage.

4) Lexington's Fleet Command has her surfacing after making her attack, versus hiding. Is it wise? Well...it certainly didn't benefit poor Nautilus. :)

5) Most things happen by end of Round, so you can see some visual oddities like that. They haven't been deemed important enough to close *before* Beta. After Beta, it's fair game. :)

Kudos for Nautilus: her first (only?) torpedo salvo actually hit the near side of a carrier!  And did damage!  Break out the champagne! ?

Setting aside the questionable tactics, her change in depth was rather abrupt (I initially missed the change).  Is there any way to note it more?  Having the waves above her silhouette lower, perhaps?

updated vote count thanks @David J

Nagato 5                                              HMS Hood 4

Scharnhorst 4                                      Gneisenau 3

Kongou 3                                              Bulldog 3

Rawalpindi 3                                        Leningrad 3

Camicia Nera  2                                  Canarias 2

Wicher 2                                               U-29 2    

Pola 2                                                   Kitakami 2

Salt lake city 2                                     Exeter 1   

Perth 1                                                 Houston 1 

Salmon 1                                             R.N. Axum 1                                      

Nerpa 1                                                USS Mississippi 1                            

Algérie 1                                              Béarn 1

Profitern 1                                          La Motte-Picquet  1                                 

Aoba 1                                                 D'Aosta 1

Béarn 1                                               Diether Von Roeder 1

Lebrecht Maass 1                             Nevada 1

Maillé-Brézé 1                                    Yavuz 1                                                                                                             

Surcouf 1                                           Belfast 1

Leberecht Maass 1                          Saguenay 1

Hans Lüdemann 1                          

<slow>

Spoiler

-Air : no indication what are done in fighter round (n of sqdr, no round result...)

-Air: no indication how ships are damaged(or not). Again, no detail of who/what/how

-dmg messages unseen under pic: log pause option(stay for 1/2/3/none ?)

-silhouette out when sunk: ?

-no Sub position/transition indicator

-dmg indicator slightly overloaded: heavy breach/high water : start cracking from top-angle(not top-center)?

Spoiler

Way too much FCS damage, though.

from when displacements HP are??

burn dat accent,pls. preferably with VA. even more preferable do it fast enough - i'm running out of replacement ears

</slow>

v_L;

For Air, there was originally an overlay with that info, but ultimately the Team decided against it- you can find out those results at the end of the Combat, but otherwise it's not visualized.

The damage message under the Belle was discussed earlier- there *may* be an option for that, but we'll see.

The silhouette does indeed go out when sunk. :)

PG made the same comment about Sub transition (position, but not depth, is shown by the chevrons)- we'll see what happens, because it is a good visual.

Yeah, if all three happen at the same time, it's pretty crowded. But it was deemed as non essential for at least the Beta- so we'll see where we go from there!

Archived