Black Chicken Studios Forums

KS Update 127

von_Lipstig

Spoiler

> I don't mean to be excessively otherworldly here, but I can tell you things about Belfast, the city, that I promise you no sailor has ever spoken aloud on this ship.

noosphere imprint != real thing, eh

> Which Hans?

*adds Z10 to the lists*

Well the Captain is talkactive for sure this time. Personally I would've liked a second Walküre better.

And yes, I guess we now can assume that Z10 Hans Lody is in the game. Probably the worst "spy" boat in the game.
A short overview over the namesake:
Hans Lody was a able sailor, he got his cox patent in 1900, served in the imperial navy for one year and afterwards got his captains patent in 1904. Unable to get a captains post due to bad eyesight, he sailed as tour guide with ocean cruises mostly into the United States, which gave him excellent english skills, with reportedly american accent. This led him to offer himself as a spy at the outbreak of WW1. Due to overconfidence and bad prep he was discovered after only two days in England (but at least he got in) and personally revived the English tradition of executions in the tower of London after 167 years. He was the one executioned.

I really like the revelations about Belfast nonetheless. Since she seems fond of C.S. Lewis after 1931 (his active conversion to the Church of England) and seeks a book of a member of the Orange Order/ Ord Oráisteach I jump to the conclusion she's a unionist. A question I raised in an earlier update. @TwoHeavens@Wellington99

As a German captain that puts her a notch higher on my "naughty" list than most ships of his majesty of England.

I don't entirely get why Mr. Power is so very irish (his mother isn't as far as I could find), but also he is married since April 1939 to a french actress. So there's that. (Her first, french husband spoke fluent German btw.)

Also by now the inbox of the KMM is flooded with letters demanding the person, body, head or ... other body parts of Mr. Wellington99. The rewards vary, but most of the letters come from various Irish militant groups and the unionist ones are rerouted to the British via the INPF as a sign of good faith. I guess their king will remind them what the HMS stands for.

I also should get busier on the forum again I guess. And that's my new years resolution then.

13 hours ago, Käpt'n Korky said:

I really like the revelations about Belfast nonetheless. Since she seems fond of C.S. Lewis after 1931 (his active conversion to the Church of England) and seeks a book of a member of the Orange Order/ Ord Oráisteach I jump to the conclusion she's a unionist. A question I raised in an earlier update. 

As a German captain that puts her a notch higher on my "naughty" list than most ships of his majesty of England.

Also by now the inbox of the KMM is flooded with letters demanding the person, body, head or ... other body parts of Mr. Wellington99. The rewards vary, but most of the letters come from various Irish militant groups and the unionist ones are rerouted to the British via the INPF as a sign of good faith. I guess their king will remind them what the HMS stands for.

What's strange is that she still bothered to offer up the Irish Gaelic name for Father Christmas. Not a particular Irish parallel mind you, but quite literally Santa Clause/St. Nicholas in the wider Christian sense. 

So when Belfast says...

Captain: Oh - but where do you stand on the question of Santa Claus?

Belfast: A crass commercial appropriation of a fairly uninspired folk tradition. Also a sad bowdlerization of a really interesting intersection between Christian hagiography and archaic pagan tradition.

Captain: Huh.

Belfast: Unlike Daidí na Nollag, who is 100% real and widely recognized by rationalists of every stripe.

What she's actually saying is "Santa Claus is kinda bullshit. But I totally believe in Santa Claus!"

Daidí na Nollag is just straight up Father Christmas not an adapted Irish native tradition of any kind. So sure if you want to split hairs it's the thin European original in bishop's robes who's half saint and half Odin instead of the chubby guy who has a long term advertising contract with Coca Cola but I'm really not sure what she's trying to show off there. Though it's fairly novel to me that a Unionist is speaking Gaelic at all... not that I'm surprised she's a Unionist, but I'm not going to try open that can of worms without a good bottle of Tully on hand and me little Armalite nearby for when the agents of the Crown in this other benighted piece of territory occupied by the British oppressors who's minions will inevitably come for me once they detect someone making pro rebel comments on the internet. 

...I'm sure this head would be better off without the bloody crown, so here it's up the rebels, get back our Teddy's head, her face and tail are all her own but her brains are foreign lead! 

Archived