Black Chicken Studios Forums

KS Update 130

von_Lipstig

I will say I'm a bit disappointed that Belfast missed what I was angling at. Perhaps I was a bit too verbose. It's not so much what mythology or belief system they (the Belles) fit. They fit the only mythology and belief system that truly matters in their case. The general unified belief of uncountable generations of sailors, Marines and other assorted flotsam and jetsam. The cultural conviction that they are there, whether they manifest or not. That our ships have a spirit all their own. So since they fit my superstition, I was curious if they personally had any superstitions of their own. Not U-29 obviously. Or U-47 her unidentified little sister. 

I'd also like to point out that Ms. Redacted U-boat is incorrect. We have not been officially introduced. I believe I can speak for the Captain's association when I say that we would indeed love to be formally and officially introduced at some point however. 

You also might as well release the interview for HMS Vampire yes? When that happens, could Belfast or Mahan please ask her how she intends to impale Morgana on giant stakes? I have some friends with the US Navy Seabees (Naval Construction Battalions) who'd be happy to help with such an engineering project. 

First of all thanks to the crew for this informative Update to cover up for the awaited fleet exercise.

The hint at Paracelsus is interesting.

On my own behalf I have to clear things up a bit: When I write U-Boot, I mean submarine. I'm German. All submarines are U-Boote. I was actually more interested in non-German commanders.... I'll ask again in the appropiate place. My favourite prior to 1939 is Otto Weddingen btw. Sunk a lot of HMSs and eventually took the whole Grand Fleet by surprise, alone, in SM U 29(!), nearly sunk the HMS Neptun and it took HMS Dreadnought herself to finish him off.... no fact bending propaganda here.... nope. *whistles innocently* And he was a member of the best German tribe, natürlich.

Belfast: I think we can all agree that they were both very, very good at sinking defenseless British trawlers. [...] 🙄 You mean like the "HMS" Jacob Jones? The longest successful torpedo run in WW1 btw. Or the HMS Primula. I also think regarding Kapitän von Arnauld de la Perière, the Marinha Portuguesa might to object to the adjective "defenseless" in regard to trawler. Augusto De Castilho was capable enough to prevent an attack on a steamer. As thanks she became the target and got sunk.

Belfast: I mean, you're still a terrifying German submarine, so I'm not saying I want to holiday with you. But at least you're not boring. - Why not holiday? Can't you rest easier if you know where at least one U-Boot is? And if Belfast considers U-Boote as potentially boring..... she should maybe rethink her take on ASW. Just saying.

[REDACTED]: I could argue that we're spirits of war. Offensichtlich, we are! - Hence the German name for them: "Walküren", who are the spirits of war.

U-29: We could have a Morgana beaten with clubs and beheaded. There's a kind of symmetry to it. - I'm sure that way you can get to the heart of a lot of Walküren.

[REDACTED]: The Kapitän and I have been officially introduced now. It's done. - Nein, I don't even know your name.

The redacted ship paying close attention to HMS Thetis might be HMS Achilles.

Now there was a lot of German this time.

Spoiler

So close but no cigar in my opinion.

U-29: Say something.

[REDACTED]: Sehr gut. Kapitän, am I to understand that you're ordering me to participate in this preposterous exercise?

IF this "sehr gut" was translated from a, probably slightly annoyed, "very well", it is wrong. "Na gut" would've been correct. "Sehr gut" can't be annoyed or unwillingly.

If it was translated from "very good", then no objection and get yourself a round of cookies.

6 hours ago, Käpt'n Korky said:

Belfast: I mean, you're still a terrifying German submarine, so I'm not saying I want to holiday with you. But at least you're not boring. - Why not holiday? Can't you rest easier if you know where at least one U-Boot is? And if Belfast considers U-Boote as potentially boring..... she should maybe rethink her take on ASW. Just saying.

U-29: We could have a Morgana beaten with clubs and beheaded. There's a kind of symmetry to it. - I'm sure that way you can get to the heart of a lot of Walküren.

Reveal hidden contents

So close but no cigar in my opinion.

U-29: Say something.

[REDACTED]: Sehr gut. Kapitän, am I to understand that you're ordering me to participate in this preposterous exercise?

IF this "sehr gut" was translated from a, probably slightly annoyed, "very well", it is wrong. "Na gut" would've been correct. "Sehr gut" can't be annoyed or unwillingly.

If it was translated from "very good", then no objection and get yourself a round of cookies.

1. I think Belfast was speaking more generally, not about U-boats in particular, which you have to admit, even by Belle standards, U-29 is quite the interesting character. 

2. Sounds like a fun weekend to me. 

[REDACTED]: The Ghost is well informed.

You are too kind.

[REDACTED]: ... People don't talk to Scharnhorst like this.

U-29: Nein.  And make sure you don't either.

While I consider it laudable for a submarine to speak softly and carry a full spread, being too reserved where Scharnhorst a battleship is concerned actually does her a disservice.

Get in touch with Salmon, [Redacted].  You may find her "training exercise" methods worth taking note.

I appreciated the response to my question very much, but why must you torment me so?

I will not look a gift horse in the mouth, that would be rude. 

Danke.  I look forward to seeing you next in my fleet,  [Redacted].

Archived