Black Chicken Studios Forums

KS Update 134

von_Lipstig

I really hope those are overknee boots with a steel cap..... not leather stockings. And why is the turret config 3>2, when in reality it was 2>3?

Anyways.... Wichita has an interesting "style" to highlight the personality of her interview partners. I hope she keeps it.

With Conte I have a few issues on a very special level. She values appearance over efficiency for one and commands a very high level of self discipline, but then slaps Wichita in a clear break of that discipline.....*takes a deep breath* ..... at this point I really regret that Historynerd hasn't shown his avatar in a while. Maybe if I make a magical sign and shout "Pugliese" three times, I can summon him back? (Conte di Cavour was fitted with the Pugliese system and just google Pugliese TDS and look who argues about it everywhere.)

I have some issues with her self presentation of her service record. In 1922 she hosted the King himself, but doesn't mention it. The Korfu-Incident was not about Korfu being Italian. None of the 7 demands demanded the Island, it was invaded as a very effective tool to pressure Greece into obedience. Italy left after 5 weeks without a fight. So it is interesting she claims the Island as "Italian" while at the same time calls the invasion "abominable", which it was. But because all killed by the naval bombardment were civilians, among them several children. Greece territory being Italian was only formulated later so it makes sense and is awkward at the same time to me. Yeah, Conte's quite possibly a child killer.

Interesting how she focuses on the bad ruling systems according to Aristoteles. (Democracy and Oligarchy) I also beg to differ on the definition of Junta. Her definition more or less only fits the Junta Suprema Central from 1908 which fought against Napoleon I. And even that is faulty, because she specifically speaks of NAVAL officers. The liberation of Spain after 1908 is not really remembered for its famous naval battles (Trafalgar was 1905). Nazi fascism sees itself as a form of elected aristocracy btw., which is the good form of oligarchy.
But the real question is: What is she referring to? What else do you call an oligarchy, when a group of royalist naval leaders seizes a government by force? Stratocracy is when the army seizes power..... a classical military dictatorship includes all branches of the military..... ..... ..... Naftocracy? All those names are highly academical and Junta is a very broad one.....and I just fell into the rabbit hole of researching, if the word "Junta" was in the Duden in the 1934 edition.... I'll post my findings here.

Undermine me, and I will end you. - And yes, I react very well to threats...... *strike Conte from my fleet list*

If I like her? I do, natürlich. She has excellent taste and a visit to Caffé Fiorio is actually on my "places to visit" list. I just can't stand her.

Also any intel on her cap and the book she's holding would be much appreciated. On first glance it doesn't look like the "Scritti di economia".

So I did my tiny research on "Junta" and found the site educalingo.
As shown here in German the word was picked up during Napoleonic times and is quite common. And here in English one can see the word is even older in the english language.
For Germany a "normalisation" of the word is done between 1903 and 1925. Those were the two oldest Duden (standard dictionary) I could find and it wasn't in the 1903, but in the 1925 edition.
I still have to contact a possible source of a 1930's Merriam-Webster, but for now I feel confident to formulate my precise critique.

My argument is, the using of the word "Junta" is more of an indicator Wichita is of "common" education and paid no attetion to the book. It is NO indicator Wichita is exceptionally well educated as Cavour concludes after her use of the word. And the vocal difference between giunta and junta is, at least for a German native, minimal.

KK;

Yep, it's a fairly old word. :)

Edit;

I'll chime in here, too- it's not her use of Junta in isolation that is the tipping point. It's building over the interview. Also note that Wichita is portraying to be true to Cavour versus how quick (and correct) her answers are. Those are more likely to be the catalysts than Junta itself, which is just possible for Wichita to have known well enough to use in a rapid fire Q&A.

I seem to recall a certain letter delivered by Rawalpindi:

Spoiler

Letter the Eighth. It appears to be the same stationery as Letter seven, but the penmanship is exquisite. There is a faint scent of citrus. A masterpiece.

Capitano:

Allow me to come to the point: I require much from any captain of mine.

I expect challenging, knowledgeable conversation in order that I might understand you, and that together, we might sharpen our minds and meet any challenge.

As such, I have put together a reading list for you.

I fully expect you to have each book read prior to recruiting me.

In addition, in the coming weeks, I will send along a set of questions covering information contained in the reading list. I charge you to answer these questions, giving examples from the texts to support your answers.

Failure to complete either task will reflect poorly on you, and perhaps force me to reconsider my choice of Captain.

I wish you fruitful studies.

In addition, if you have the opportunity to meet my sister, I know she would be thrilled to make your acquaintance. She is a silly thing, and unworthy of her namesake.

Book List:

Meditations, Marcus Aurelius (c180)

The Prince, Niccolò Machiavelli (1532)

Leviathan, Thomas Hobbes (1651)

The Rights of Man, Thomas Paine (1791)

A Vindication of the Rights of Woman, Mary Wollstonecraft (1792)

The Communist Manifesto, Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels (1848)

On Liberty, John Stuart Mill (1859)

I wasn't particularly impressed with her letter and I'm even less impressed with her in interview.

The cultured don't speak ill of the sunk, much less a scrapped sister (to keep karma from coming back to bite you if nothing else).

But that's fine. I'll give her your regards at the launching ceremony and look out for her in '40. 😉

I don't think Cavour said anything particularly nasty about her sunk/scrapped sister... it sounds like she's talking about "her" in a very "live" and present sense, not insulting the sunk battleship Leonardo da Vinci, nor talking about a ship or boat in this case under construction. So that would mean she's talking about the Giulio Cesare. Who is not only alive and well, but will be until 1955 or so as I recall.  

Silly could also mean quite a bit of things coming from a martinet like Cavour, so I tended to take both her comments to that effect to be more of a loving exasperation than any real slight. 

3 hours ago, TwoHeavens said:

I don't think Cavour said anything particularly nasty about her sunk/scrapped sister... it sounds like she's talking about "her" in a very "live" and present sense, not insulting the sunk battleship Leonardo da Vinci, nor talking about a ship or boat in this case under construction. So that would mean she's talking about the Giulio Cesare. Who is not only alive and well, but will be until 1955 or so as I recall.  

Silly could also mean quite a bit of things coming from a martinet like Cavour, so I tended to take both her comments to that effect to be more of a loving exasperation than any real slight. 

Two separate gripes, TH.  In her letter, she was referring to the writer of the seventh letter, who can only be Giulio Cesare.

In the interview, she referred to Casare as 

a ship immensely… unique in personality. I’m doing my best to prepare her for the coming war, but I worry her head is too much in the clouds to give the subject the thought it requires. 

and then went on to note that

Our youngest sister, Leonardo da Vinci, had a similar weakness and lost her life to a magazine explosion more than two decades ago.

It is possible Cavour didn't mean anything causality-wise (that because Leo's head was "in the clouds" she therefore experienced a magazine explosion and was lost).

However, given Cavour's attitude--especially with regard to her surviving sister-- I'm not willing to give her the benefit of the doubt.

• 11 months later...
On 3/18/2019 at 10:15 AM, Käpt'n Korky said:

With Conte I have a few issues on a very special level. She values appearance over efficiency for one and commands a very high level of self discipline, but then slaps Wichita in a clear break of that discipline.....*takes a deep breath* ..... at this point I really regret that Historynerd hasn't shown his avatar in a while. Maybe if I make a magical sign and shout "Pugliese" three times, I can summon him back? (Conte di Cavour was fitted with the Pugliese system and just google Pugliese TDS and look who argues about it everywhere.)

I have some issues with her self presentation of her service record. In 1922 she hosted the King himself, but doesn't mention it. The Korfu-Incident was not about Korfu being Italian. None of the 7 demands demanded the Island, it was invaded as a very effective tool to pressure Greece into obedience. Italy left after 5 weeks without a fight. So it is interesting she claims the Island as "Italian" while at the same time calls the invasion "abominable", which it was. But because all killed by the naval bombardment were civilians, among them several children. Greece territory being Italian was only formulated later so it makes sense and is awkward at the same time to me. Yeah, Conte's quite possibly a child killer.

...Who has awakened me from my slumber...?

Spoiler

ThreadNecro.jpg

-

Happy to be back! 😉

As for this battleship that I very obviously missed when she was announced 😪, my impression overall is that she is about "being in control". She knows her stuff and knows how to play the game. I believe that overall she fits well with her namesake, a shrewd statesman, and also quite successful gambler! 😄

The Corfu incident... I think she references the old claims on some Greek islands because of the longstanding Venetian presence there. Plus, it could have come in handy as a naval base (in WWI it served as such), so the Italians wouldn't have dismissed it out of hand, even though in 1923 it wasn't in the cards, you're right.

No discussion about her status, unfortunately. The castle that was bombarded didn't have any soldiers, just innocent refugees.