Black Chicken Studios Forums

What is the Real Life significance of the name Hochmeister?

Rhialto

@Mikka, when talking about Louise Kandinsky, said that Louise's familiar's name, the Hochmeister, was so strong a reference to something in real life that she was considering changing the name. Does anyone know what this reference is to? The only Hochmeister that I know about was a title given to the Grand Master of the Teutonic Knights - which would fit with Louse's northern Vilocian/Staadan homeland.

A cursory Wikipedia check lists the (initial) title for the Grand Master of the Teutonic Knights, an 18th/19th century mayor from Romania, and a 1980s Czech football defender. And I'm going to assume that whatever she was talking about would show up on a cursory Wikipedia check, because otherwise the whole " so strong a reference to something in real life that she was considering changing the name" aspect falls flat IMO.

Of those three the obvious choice is the Teutonic Order, not that I could tell you what Louise's Familiar would have to do with that.

@Metis: I am glad that I am not the only one who was puzzled by the idea that the name Hochmeister would be an obvious reference. But let us assume that it is a reference to the Teutonic knights. As I have mentioned, it would be appropriate, given that Staade, as a region of people speaking Cyve's German language equivalent and surrounded and influenced by Cyve's Slav equivalents, plays a role analogous to Prussia, which was founded as a state by the Teutonic Knights.

As an alternative explanation, the name Hochmeister apparently means "High Master", which may be a hint that Louise, due to her interest in birds (which, as her Y1 adventure reveals, can reach unhealthy levels) may become involved in mastery in some capacity. Related to this, the Purple Wizards of Thei are also headquartered in a linguistically Vilocian state/region...

Interesting theory, but I don't think accurate because I believe the Purple Wizards were Schwarzbart's idea added in DLC 17, after Mikka's kids in DLC 16. Moreover, being interested in Mastery is Aaran's shtick, and I don't think Mikka would repeat that concept.

2 hours ago, Metis said:

Interesting theory, but I don't think accurate because I believe the Purple Wizards were Schwarzbart's idea added in DLC 17, after Mikka's kids in DLC 16. Moreover, being interested in Mastery is Aaran's shtick, and I don't think Mikka would repeat that concept.

But people can change over years, especially when young - and @Legate of Mineta has said that Ana Flavia, who in Y1 has no interest in gates magic, will in later years develop such an interest.

True, but I just don't think Mikka would have two of her characters develop the same interest. Too much overlap when they both have a "discovering Mastery" adventure, an "oh no someone questions what I'm doing" event, etc. I could see Louise develop an interest in Gates magic, it'd fit her wish to fly away (in a sense) and there's enough of a distinction that Louise's relevant adventures/events wouldn't be straight repeats of Aaran's.

Incidentally, I'm don't remember the Legate ever confirming it's Ana who develops an interest in Gates magic in Y2, only that "someone" does. IIRC that idea was based on this quote:

On 1/3/2013 at 6:34 PM, Legate of Mineta said:

Haha, yeah, that was just for Leo. :)

Here, this is for Pudding:

""I need to do this! Gates magic can be safe! Think about! We can talk to people who have been dead for centuries!" [Redacted] exclaims back at you.""

Sorry, couldn't off-hand find a Mastery quote for you. :)

Which, eh, I don't see how that relates to Ana? Oriabel, maybe, but I don't see Ana's signature on that.

@Metis: I guess that misremembered what I read and attributed it to Ana Flavia. Maybe I should set up another topic to discuss that.

But back to Hochmeister. I had never thought that Louise and Gates magic might be connected. But mastery magic might still be something that Louise could develop an interest in as a way to better understand birds - including her familiar.

Still, you raise good points about similarity - so maybe the link is really between Prussia and Louise.

I vaguely recall something being brought up that indicated Ana being the one who develops the Gates magic interest at some point, but I couldn't tell you where or when.

How would Mastery help her better understand birds, exactly? Or just her Familiar, specifically?

Archived