Black Chicken Studios Forums

KS Update 157

Panay's Ghost

I'm going to take U-29's answer to the depth-capabilities question as teasing Belfast.

After all, Belfast asked the submarine equivalent of what's your three sizes, yet didn't mention any warning of repercussions  ('I could tell you, but I'll have to kill you afterwards').  Therefore, I take the answer she received with a grain of salt.

I could say something about that, @Panay's Ghost, but I bind myself to not talk to enemy captains about such things.

I believe however, U-29 meant Dr. Wolfgang Metzger, currently in Frankfurt at the Goethe-University and a member of the party. 

*hugs the Belfast*

Intriguing and appealing answer.

The bit about submarines and the siren call of the deep - or, as it may be, simply surpassing self-belief - is interesting, as its the second discussion of submarines as a class that i recall. Previously there was the observation that they tend to be more ruthless, or at least unsentimental, than their surface colleagues.

Curious to see if there are parallels among other types of warship.

For instance, cruisers - do they tend, as a class, to be self-reliant, chafing under close supervision, preferring latitude to undertake tasks in their own way? Do they think of themselves as the indispensable, comparatively unsung workhorses of the fleet? Do they regard battle cruisers as big sisters or (happily now rarer) predators? Do other classes deride them, slightly and mostly affectionately, as jacks of all trades, masters of none?

I rather like the idea of American Destroyers in particular having a shared "Can do, will do" spirit, a very aggressive, challenging mind that chafes under restriction. Much like the *actual* American destroyer community going into the Second World War, which absolutely knew that it could do a lot more than it was being limited to by the "old men" in fleet command. Especially when they got their hands on incredible warships like the legendary Fletcher class. 

On 11/17/2019 at 2:01 AM, TwoHeavens said:

I rather like the idea of American Destroyers in particular having a shared "Can do, will do" spirit, a very aggressive, challenging mind that chafes under restriction. Much like the *actual* American destroyer community going into the Second World War, which absolutely knew that it could do a lot more than it was being limited to by the "old men" in fleet command. Especially when they got their hands on incredible warships like the legendary Fletcher class. 

Not so much a “can do will do” as a “can’t do will do anyways”.  The battles of third savo, Samar, Surigao, etc. provide examples of this.

Because after all, what is a battleship but a really large destroyer with less torpedoes?  That makes them less armed than us!  It’s an easy fight.  What are 2000 determined men when faced against 150 unbreakable idiots?

On 11/19/2019 at 5:32 AM, Legate of Mineta said:

Hey! Some Battleships have Torpedoes, you know. ;)

He did say "less" Legate lol. 

Besides. When's a battleship torpedo actually done anything? Beyond the alleged death shot of HMS Hood forcing Bismarck to break off, likely saving the Prince of Wales from joining Hood on the sea bed.