Black Chicken Studios Forums

Update #164 Captain's Association: a Naval Departmental Memo

lazarusdw

i belive that a past update said that an entire fleet was need to match a single morgarna. so a belle has .08 to .15 the power of a fleet but belles with a captain have .16 to .45 i presume the diffence is new captain s veteren captains. it would explain how a battle can turn around for a belle if she suddenly finds her captain and is boosted 110% that would make on hell of a diffrence

It would be naïve to think that there would be no resistance to any changes to existing policy from our nation’s military manufacturers and their political allies, and there are certainly questions of safety and security that need further consideration.  Still, I believe that if the captains continue to procure equipment on more or less an ad hoc basis, national contracts will not be violated.  Indeed, we might even open new markets to.

that could be an interesding idea

13 hours ago, lazarusdw said:

i belive that a past update said that an entire fleet was need to match a single morgarna. so a belle has .08 to .15 the power of a fleet but belles with a captain have .16 to .45 i presume the diffence is new captain s veteren captains. it would explain how a battle can turn around for a belle if she suddenly finds her captain and is boosted 110% that would make on hell of a diffrence

Let's look at the wording a bit. "...the presence of a chosen captain can double or even triple performance..."

If we take that on its own, as I believe it's supposed to be taken, it's not a 16% to 45% increase. A captained belle gets a 100% to 200% increase in performance. 

Honestly all those numbers sound like the general kind of nonsense I expect from the War Department or similar bodies. So I'm not sure we should take them as accurate measures of combat power. I mean. How the hell do you judge combat power versus Morgana anyway?

tldr Where do Belles get their power from if not having their chosen captain is that big of an influence on their effectiveness?

I want to echo this questioning as it was a source of confusion for me. I was under the impression previously that Belles gave their ships supernatural capabilities, which conveniently allows them to fight the Morgana on closer to equal terms. The statistics provided by the internal memo don't make sense within that context. 

"Where Navy ships carrying SAs without designated “Captains of the Fleet” seem to be 8 to 15% more effective against the unknown fleets than ships without SAs, the presence of a chosen captain can double or even triple performance according to the metrics proposed by [REDACTED]"

This statement leads me to believe that either the memo writers are spit-balling a useless/incorrect statistic due to questionable data/questionable data analysis/intentional misrepresentation or that the nature of how a belle derives its supernatural powers was misunderstood by me. 

We know that both Morganas and Belles are "playing a whole other ball game" and are a step above normal ships. Mention of destroyer armor defeating BB shells has been in previous updates. If that is the case, how is a fleet with a "special advisor" but without a "captain of the fleet" only 8-15% more effective? What would data points in this range even look like in reality? A manifested belle that had her captain reassigned? Why would the absence of a captain lead to such a massive drop in capabilities?

If what this memo writer writes is the case, it would suggest that far more of a belles capabilities come from her bond with her captain than I was led to believe. Which I would honestly find quite disappointing if that were the case. I'm generally not a fan of stories where we as a protagonist are elevated to such a ridiculous extent that it turns everyone else in said universe into observers rather than other actors.