Black Chicken Studios Forums

KS Update 221 : B-Day

von_Lipstig

15 hours ago, Legate of Mineta said:

Schwarzbart;

That's the plan!!! :)

SN;

There will be, but it will come after Droid and iOS, as it turns out.

Oh!  Two questions:

-Since the PayPal backer rewards are changing, is this going to be the last time to get the Mahan edition of The Influence of Sea Power Upon History?  No offense to Mahan, but I was hoping to roll with the Regia Marina...so I was wanting to start out with one of their ships for the game :).

-To play devil's advocate, what would you and the devs say is the main selling point of Victory Belles?  Kantai Collection is still around and Azur Lane, a game that didn't exist during the initial run of the Kickstarter, is also out in full force.  I personally love the designs of Victory Belles more than those two games (the girls are pretty, but not overtly sexualized to ridiculous degrees...in my opinion), but I was wondering what niche Victory Belles will be inhabiting in the Second World War ship-girl genre.

...trying to sell the game to a few friends who are interested ;).

Thanks and congrats for the upcoming Beta.  I really can't wait to jump into the game after many years!

Procyon;

I think Mahan's costume and book will be available until the launch of the game, and that's when it will end.

Oh, boy. For me, it's the story, but there's a *ton* of things that I think are interesting- if you like history, it's set in WW2, and has a meta game based on that. If you like the ships themselves, their weapons are fully simulated, and use the most realistic simulation of naval combat I've ever seen. The customization of equipment is crazy, if that's your kind of thing. And then the Belles themselves. Did I mention the stories? I may be biased here. :)

Anyway, you'll soon be able to see for yourself. :)

51 minutes ago, Legate of Mineta said:

Procyon;

I think Mahan's costume and book will be available until the launch of the game, and that's when it will end.

Oh, boy. For me, it's the story, but there's a *ton* of things that I think are interesting- if you like history, it's set in WW2, and has a meta game based on that. If you like the ships themselves, their weapons are fully simulated, and use the most realistic simulation of naval combat I've ever seen. The customization of equipment is crazy, if that's your kind of thing. And then the Belles themselves. Did I mention the stories? I may be biased here. :)

Oh!  Okay!  I'll definitely think about that!

So there is more emphasis on story, characterization and "real world" history when  compared to its rivals?  It seems like you guys are using the real-world League of Nations and real factions when it comes to the Second World War after all.  The amount of Belles is also limited, yet diverse since it spans both major and minor powers of the era.

Kantai Collection is more history-esque, but it really doesn't touch upon the real world that much and it doesn't have a lot of nationality for its ships.  Azur Lane, though fun, is more history-lite at this point with more emphasis on "collect the waifu" than narrative. 

I really wish you guys the best.  Hopefully you guys sell some physical merch if the game carves out a healthy niche for itself.  I'm sure a Western-made ship-girl game with a focus on the "real world" will do well for itself against its more fantastical rivals, especially since you guys are using the actual language for the ship-girls: a big plus overall.

On 8/29/2021 at 3:05 PM, Legate of Mineta said:

Procyon;

On that realistic simulation of combat aspect... How much in-depth will the game's tutorial cover the intricacies of realistic naval combat? I ask this because, while I like World War 2 history, my main drive to play this game is the Belles, the waifus, etc. I have almost zero knowledge of naval combat or naval terms, so a good tutorial would be a great way to smooth people into the game, else they start getting frustrated with the naval combat. This also connects with another suggestion I made a while ago of an encyclopedia of naval terms in game, so people learn about naval terms and review aspects of the tutorial as well.

SN;

None, I think- but fortunately, none is necessary to play. It's all generally behind the scenes. However, if you really want to optimize, though, you'll need to get that familiarity.

That said, an encyclopedia of some kind might be pretty handy (and interesting) to see in game- there's none now, but that doesn't preclude it from the future, of course.

18 hours ago, Seleukos Nikator said:

On that realistic simulation of combat aspect... How much in-depth will the game's tutorial cover the intricacies of realistic naval combat? I ask this because, while I like World War 2 history, my main drive to play this game is the Belles, the waifus, etc. I have almost zero knowledge of naval combat or naval terms, so a good tutorial would be a great way to smooth people into the game, else they start getting frustrated with the naval combat. This also connects with another suggestion I made a while ago of an encyclopedia of naval terms in game, so people learn about naval terms and review aspects of the tutorial as well.

All the naval terminology you need to get started is "Besanschot an!" Most important commando of them all.