Black Chicken Studios Forums

~ Suggestions & Improvement ~

Hawkey

I'm wondering about these banks, we can do a little bit of extra work and get better at our economy skills, but do/can students save money in banks or lend the banks some money?

If all you got is some pocketchange then it's all well and good but once you get past a thousand pims or 10 000 pims it might seem like a lot to carry or too much of a risk. Or do Students stash away their cash in the wardrobe or hidden places? Some kind of bankbooks maybe? Running around with all of your hardearned cash seems like quite the risk.

Especialy if you go traveling. Perhaps rent a bankbox for certain valuables if you can't store them in the school. I might be overthinking things though ;)

Station? Isn't it enough to have the money? or the money and the economy skills to perform the necessary planning and paperwork?

Or do you have to be a Merchant? or Noble? or wealthy?

I guess it's reasonable that people wouldn't trust banknotes handed out by people they don't know. On the otherhand the son or daughter of a wealthy merchant or Archduke or something, might seem safe enough to some. Is that it? Maybe Glory would help aswell? You are well known for your exploits, which might add some credibility.

So, if you got a character that's from Mineta, Localy notable, Noble/merchant, Wealthy. Then those banks would give you a slightly easier time? It sounds like this needs an adventure! Perhaps you could throw in some economy skills, and/or Lawskills.

Or maybe it would make a good adventure with your family.. Or an event where you help some poor sod that somehow got into trouble with the bank.

How can those banks operate if they discourage customers from using them? :huh:

It does remind me of this one bank in RL refused me internet access to a bankaccount that I wanted to open, unless I moved all my bussiness and money to their bank, even as I offered to depost half a million into a bank account :huh:

I told them I would have to walk out the door unless they changed their mind, they didn't, so I walked.

Luckily other banks were far more reasonable.

so long as they don't charge you 300 pims a month, every month, on an empty account for having an empty accout after stealing all the money in it over a couple years of inactivity, and then charge overdraft fees on top of that.

I blew my top when that happened to me and I was told I owed them 6X what I originally had in the bank. never again.

Actually legate I must Insist on a mattress or pillowcase to store cash in, in Y2 :)

Great game i enjoy a lot but it could really benefit from better UI.

1. Game has plenty of information yet on my monitor it uses maybe half of the space and i dont really see any options to expand it change the resolution etc expanding the space used by the UI would allow you to present the information in a much more pleasant way, the screen would be less crowded

2. The game throws tons of information which for a new player is overwhelming and makes it hard to differenciate between whats usefull and whats not, for example the spells/action/ability menu is very tiresome to operate when you start playing if you could maybe, make it bigger organize the actions by what they actually do(example: organize the options into groups that grow a particular skill/atribue or subskill - so that if i want to grow the listen subskill i see all the options in one spot so that i can way them against each other easily, there may then have a spell/action/ability indicator in front, there could also be a division based on wether increasing the skill would be temporary or permanent). That organization would make more sense to me rather than the arbitrary spell/action/ability and i belive it would be more intuitive for new players.

3. reorganizing the attributes and skills and research menu so that new players can see the direct correlation between attributes and skills

4.the stress/vitality/encumbrance/concealment stats are important all the time so it would be nice if those stats were displayed somewhere where they could be always visible

5. The daily report is cluttered with unnecesary information i mean knowing which class my friends attended is not an information i need most of the time puting that sort of information under an expandable button would clear up a lot of ui(same goes for gaining merit points - just show how many points a collage got showning who got them is not necessary most of the time)

6. While seeing activities for the entire week is nice i usually play a day at a time(i take the weekly schedule into account but assign tasks for tthe day) focusing the UI on the single day with the weekly information in the corner would make it a lot more clear and more pleasant to operate

Welcome to the forum WLosy.

Sadly there wont be a change in the UI for year 1 but we all hope that year 2 will have a better UI especial one that can scale depending on your screen size.

6) I think it would be a bad idea to only display one day. Especial for me it would drastically reduce my ability to easy plan ahead for days when I have sure 3 slots thanks to holidays or weekend.

2 year will have a diffrent UI? why not have the same(better UI) for both?

also i didnt mean that the calendar should be scrubbed i think the the whole UI should be overhauled:

the 3 window system thats in place right now(first windows with attributes/skills etc the main screen where they adventures and events appear/calendar etc and the 3rd window with relationships/clique/familiar etc) is unfocused and impacts gameplay for me and i believe many new players

I think that the first window could be removed to expand the space, its information could be displayed differently - the inventory button at the top could open a new screen with skills stats and inventory, or possibly a new button could be created for stats sklills and attributes arrange in a fassion that would clearly show which attributes affect each skill

The third window could be eliminated as well, its information combined(for example clique and relations, possibly familiar as well) and transfered to new buttons. When one would click such a button the information could be diplayed side by side allowing for easyer access and analisys all in one screen(a lot more space) and one screen would be a lot more accesible for new players and more convinient for old ones(just think about how ofthen you whitch between windows or how much information you have to memorize to avoid it)

With such new UI and possibly expanding the space the game uses on the screen the game would be much more accesible and that means more players bigger success and more money, my general impression after playing the game for a week is that its a gem that requires some polish, if someone were to reorganize the UI it could be really popular and possibly a cult classic.

As for the weekly calendar let it stay for reference in a corner but make the decisions for the day separate from it. Puting the decisions for the day in the middle of the screen would allow for bigger fonts better menues and more information(thats actually usefull - for example the temorary buffs to skills that you are currently affected by and how long will the last etc)

WLosy;

Heh, we have heard that loud and clear. The funny thing is, as a Team we loved the UI when we first launched. Blinders. :)

Of course you did it was your sweat and blood, and you seem like some passionate guys(nobody else would go into so much detail in the lore section etc:P). I know something about the blinders myself, thats why you sometimes need a fresh set of eyes.

@Schwarzbart

I think that this team has something of real value but in the current state for me its a little bit like looking at a picasso through a keyhole, if this engine/technology doesnt allow for easy remodeling then maybe they should consider changing it. Once a good engine with a proper UI is created and ppl can realy enjoy the game many possiblities open up (steam green light maybe-i mean stuff like long live the queen had a success there and thats a dwarf when you compare it to academagia, just with an more freindly UI). Maybe some web technologies are worth looking into, i mean i can easily imagine playing academagia through your browser. The posibilities are there. This game has a great potential - it could become really popular. Me personally id like to see it recieve the popular acclamation it deserves and for that it needs to be more accesible witch means better UI. So to answer your question i would prefere for the first year to get a better UI - that scales is cleared better organized and overall more user friendly. And then id like to have the second year based on that same engine but possibly with new features etc. A good engine is like a foudation on which you can build.

@WLosy Don't you think if it was easy to change the UI of Year 1 we would have get it already in the many patch and DLC they provided in the over 3 years the game is already out?

For year 2 it is already known that we need to import our year 1 chars via a separate tool probably because the DB is to different from the one in year 1.

So I thinK nearly nothing developed for year 2 can used for year 1 what would result any change of the year 1 UI will need extra man power that have to be paid from somewhere.

(You know that most of the graphics we see ingame was bought from other developer and not a single graphical element is developed to scale for different screen sizes?)

@WLosy Don't you think if it was easy to change the UI of Year 1 we would have get it already in the many patch and DLC they provided in the over 3 years the game is already out?

For year 2 it is already known that we need to import our year 1 chars via a separate tool probably because the DB is to different from the one in year 1.

So I thinK nearly nothing developed for year 2 can used for year 1 what would result any change of the year 1 UI will need extra man power that have to be paid from somewhere.

(You know that most of the graphics we see ingame was bought from other developer and not a single graphical element is developed to scale for different screen sizes?)

I think it might be easier than you think. Making a engine for a text based game with no animations, IT student that knows whats hes doing could create it in 1-2 months with a little help from a graphic designer. And considering that there are tools for it, some of them open source it shouldnt be that expensive. While the payoff could be substantial for the developers and we would get a better gaming expirience in the process. I know that talk is cheap but looking into such options doesnt cost much as well just a little bit of time and research.I could easily see this game greenlight on steam which could be quite profitable.

----------------------------------------------------

take for example http://textadventures.co.uk/ you can create your own text game in a matter of moments now i know that you would probably need something more sophisticated but not all that much, and it just shows that there are ways and programs out there that are free to use and could with a little bit of adjustig do the job just fine

WLoshy let say it is as easy as you say and both people only get $3000 each including taxes for this how many games would BCS then have to sell extra just to cover up for this costs?

The game mostly only find buyer now when it is on sale for $15 because its already 3 years old

If I remember right the Digital Shops take between 30% and 40% of this and then tax also takes some of it.

So a few hundred new customer would be needed who will buy this game just because of the new UI to get even!