Black Chicken Studios Forums

~ Suggestions & Improvement ~

Hawkey

It was mentioned that the use of artefacts or gate stones helped negate the chaos factor.

Come to think of it, you and your familiar has already got a magical bond going. Maybe you could use that, then you wouldn't need any fancy physical objects to link together.

Maybe require you to have a bond of at least 10 or more.

Also, we have been told there are crazy wizards who can use gates magic without the Chaos factor. So work arounds arn't impossible, but there might be limitations, downsides or very specific requierments. Orso who isn't said to be a Gate mage seemed to think that Gates robes enchantment made it fairly safe to use, and not quite as "illegal" as a Gates spell.

So clearly there are variants and different ways of accomplishing what you want. Clearly the least safe way is to draw a few phemes in the air and hope that you get the exact unknown creature you want.

Now you can get around the legal problems if you own a item that predate the ban that was made within the Empier and was registered later.

(I think its safe to assume that at last some of the registered gate items are of newer date but declared as found item that was made before the ban.)

That reminds me, that Gates staff from that Temple was pre-Ban. The one whose description resembles Jafars Staff. Serpent head with creepy jeweled eyes.

albert;

There is one thing I'm wondering about, how do these phemes and Palettes work? You draw the pheme on a palette? Or in the air? Ground?

In the air.

Are the phemes completely used up once the spell is cast? Or could they be reactivated in case you want to cast the same spell? Do you have to redraw them? It seems like you have to redraw them every time.

They are 'used up' in the casting of a Spell- you do indeed need to redraw them in most cases.

Still wondering... Also the Palette skill says it's beneficial for the casters overall magical skills to have a good palette skill. The Palettes skill is under Enchanting, least for year 1.

That Palettes Skill is for Enchanting specifically, not the more general term. I'm fairly sure there's going to be a name change coming. ;)

Does it somehow affect your number of phemes or how many phemes you're skilled at tying up together? how does it work?

Palettes describes your understanding of how to draw Phemes on a Palette, and ways to speed that up, make most efficient use of the space, and so on.

Some of these things and skills seems to need a better description or explanation. So people know what they're improving ;)

True enough! :)

• 2 weeks later...

It really sounds like Y2 is going to be to Y1 what a finely made crown is to a gold bar.

Perhaps that analogy is not *quite* perfect as I would rather play with a bunch of gold bars than many crowns, but otherwise you get my drift. :)

...So when are we going to get our first glimpses of this mythical Y2? I know by now that your lips are sealed on the games release itself, but surely you can tell us the general order of planned events?

My understanding is:

1. Steam releases

2. DLC 17 if it isn't included with the steam stuff

3. Y1 save converter beta + debugging if necessary

4. ??? (some other secret project thing thats bound to distract you from Y2 for another 1- 1.5 years) ;)

5. Year two! (some time in the 'Sixt' year of our exile.) (Ha! The wit!)

Maybe there could be a way of improving your relationship with a choice professor during the summer break if you want to take their class or join their college.

An action or a quest for the different choices. Maybe the action, write an essay. Or something.

If you do it well enough, pass the rolls, the Professor or Regent might take notice when school starts again. If it's an advanced class or something.

I'm not really sure what to expect, but it would be nice to have option and not being locked out without ways to change your "fate" after year 1. If you really want to.

The Fitness Training ability from Quintana Gym (and by extension probably the Strength Training ability as well) should get a buff. Fitness Training does nothing but have a 3% chance of increasing it's respective attribute by 1, whereas Run a Light Training Route does that at a 5% rate with an extra +1 SS to Running on top, and it's much more easily accessed since it only requires Running 1 to find it's required location (easily gotten through the auto-unlocked Use the Athletic Fields ability).

The one benefit that Quintana's Gym has is that it only has a 2% CoD compared to the Groundkeeper's Office's 6%, but the fact that you apparently run training courses through the office instead of the Athletics Field is something that should also be looked at, honestly. I get the idea of there being nice running paths through the Groundkeeper's Office and that the Groundskeeper doesn't appreciate students coming and going through his office, but than again is there a magical Insurmountable Waist-High Fence ward around these running paths or what?

Makes sense, the Academagia Grounds is a big place as is and it's only one of, what, two or three regions those paths can go through? Still, would be nice if we could run courses on the (public) Athletics Field, or otherwise have some way to avoid the 6% CoD. It's not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things, but it's annoying to be reprimanded for running a training course because it can't be done on the Athletics Field, especially early on when you don't have any way to reduce CoD yet.

Item: Black Sand

This fine black sand is one of the strongest known anti magic items, just be in contact with a single grain prevent the use of any magic.

To the luck of all mages this sand is very rare and places with larger quantities of this sand are guarded by large swarms of bloodsucking insects.

Secret Description:

This black sand is actual the manure of a tiny worm like insect that have wings similar to a dragonfly. This worms live in swarms of a few hundred around the place of the black sand go on a blood hunt once per week in a radius of 50km around it. Because of this large radius and because no swarm would allow a other one in this radius there usually only 1 or 2 of them sucking blood from one animal or human and so be no threat, just when you get to close to the black sand there might be dozens of them at once that attack and suck blood from you.

What would constitute contact? holding it in a vial or container? or getting it on your clothes? or would you need to digest it? Or is it some kind of proximity thing?

Anyway, such things and situations make non-magical skills and knowledge useful/valuable.

Maybe I could implement it into a tiny shuriken or throwing dagger as an alternative weapon to disable a dangerous mage, or at least buy some time..... That would be interesting for a crafting interested wizard. Assuming you could carry such thigns without getting affected yourself. Maybe a special stitching or holster to hold them?

Or you could make a holding shackle, to hold a dangerous wizard, least it would help against their magical powers... possibly. Wouldn't want to get trapped in one of those though.

Normally I would say, bring in more magic in the game, but that could also create a lot of interesting possibilities for event's adventures and even possibly crafting and personal gear if the game would allow it.

Maybe it could be used for protection.. Even if it would disable your magic, maybe it would make you untouchable by others magic aswell. Least until they figureout they can hurl stones at you or start non-magical fires with magical ones.

Eh...the minute someone discovers that it can be farmed in mass quantities, if not easily or safely, is the minute that it'll be farmed in mass quantities and the whole "rare" aspect flies out the window methinks. Bloodsucking insects...well, use smoke to drive them off? Create a metal suit that can't bite through? Chainmail with such thin links they can't fly through it? Create a distraction so that their nest is unguarded? Build an artificial nest for them with buckets attached to a circle of rope suspended in the air by a pulley system that you can rotate to reel in full buckets and replace with fresh buckets from a safe distance? Toss in enough cattle to fill up the entire swarm so they become docile? Promise prisoners amnesty if they get a bucket of the stuff out of the nest and wait for one to come back alive?

Yeah, I don't see that stuff remaining rare for long.

Eh...the minute someone discovers that it can be farmed in mass quantities, if not easily or safely, is the minute that it'll be farmed in mass quantities and the whole "rare" aspect flies out the window methinks. Bloodsucking insects...well, use smoke to drive them off? Create a metal suit that can't bite through? Chainmail with such thin links they can't fly through it? Create a distraction so that their nest is unguarded? Build an artificial nest for them with buckets attached to a circle of rope suspended in the air by a pulley system that you can rotate to reel in full buckets and replace with fresh buckets from a safe distance? Toss in enough cattle to fill up the entire swarm so they become docile? Promise prisoners amnesty if they get a bucket of the stuff out of the nest and wait for one to come back alive?

Yeah, I don't see that stuff remaining rare for long.

I agree, If I knew where the stuff was I would try to get my hands on it, (for safe keeping and experimentation) if nothing else. If I couldn't claim it all I would make sure it would be hard for others to claim it or destroy or impede.

It seems like a very valuable, useful, dangerous aswell as interesting substance. My Vernin students would be thrilled to examine it and look for uses or other ideas it coudl yield, like defences against it and offensive possibilities and defensive uses.

Bloodsucking insects probably wouldn't be enough, there would have to be other difficulties, like location which is rough, and possibly that the mass quantity creates an anti magic field in the ara making it next to impossible for a wizard to use their magic to get close enough. And normal people would very rarely know about the stuff... Wizards most likely wouldn't want non-wizards to know about it at all. Because it's just too scary.

So you would have to be a student of magic to know about it from some lore... And skilled in non-magical ways to get to what you want. Explorer Acrobat, archer etz. Good at planning for the bloodsucking insects and carrying the plan through.

Now I intentional left some blanks so it easier can added to the world and can be balanced.

Some of the things I left blank:

- How long do each grain of this sand keep its properties in general and outside of the aura of this place

- Do contact mean skin contact or aura contact

- what kind of Aura is at this place (Is most likely very special thanks to the sand and the insect hive)

- Where do this insect original come from (lasting gate magic, breeding experiment, natural) and how dangerous they are alone or as swarm beside the blood sucking.

- Is the description a exaggeration of the one who found already some of this sand

- Do the insects hunt the persons who have more then one or 2 grain of it as they expect its a other hive forming or not. And if they do then how do they track the sand down?

- Where the few (maybe even only 1 or 2 in the complete known world) Hive can be found.

I like it, but it definately needs checks and balances.

Maybe each grain decreases the targets mainpillarskills by 10 each. Just an example.

For a first year that would be very debilitating, unless they they are super students, then they might still be able to get their simplest spells off.

A few of those wouldn't disable the legate completely, but it would definately handicap him until he manages to get rid of them.

They still seem too easy to find and in quantity. No crafting required either, just pick it up.

I'm not an expert, but I thought most antimagic came from spells that are more or less shortlived, or enchantments that last longer but not forever, after a millenia most but the best masterworks will have degraded. Least unless someone is tending to them somehow.

Idea for year 2:

Gave me another idea, maybe a skilled enchanter from enchanting class or Vernin, could get a quest to help restore some minor historical artefacts whose enchantment is fading, which means they and their historical value might get lost for future generations.

It's also seen as a chance to learn from old masters long gone.

It definately seems like an enchanters best way of learning, while also performing a service.

You could also have something like this in enchantment class, where the professor brings each student a minor enchantedobjects. Perhaps created by past students. The students assignment is then to study the object and give the class an account of it's creation.

It would even be a very good and interesting first class in year two where your student could pickup several "recipes" for cool/useful items to make. A kind of beginners primer.

Since it's year 2 the Professor would expect most of the students to be up to the task.